About that shadow object

• 89 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: About that shadow object
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2014, 07:28:37 PM »
Did anyone ask why eclipses only happen on full and new moons?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:34 AM »
JROA, how is it then that round earth predictions can be made with all eclipses so far in advance?

Predicting the future from the past?

So you are saying that worldtime.com can predict the right atmospheric conditions to make the moon look red based on the past?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
Why would I be using Newtonian Laws of Physics?  They were proven wrong a long time ago.
How about you go jump off a cliff and you will be fine if objects in motion don't tend to stay in motion.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
JROA, how is it then that round earth predictions can be made with all eclipses so far in advance?

Predicting the future from the past?

JROA, your habit of meekly asking a question in response to a challenge is really quite sad.  If you have a theory, tell us what it is, and provide enough detail so it can be debated.

You claim that air pressure, temperature, pollen, etc. can explain lunar eclipses.  Yet lunar eclipses can and are predicted years in advance, and everyone knows that meteorological phenomena such as air temperature and pressure cannot be accurately predicted more than a few days in advance, even by the best meteorologists using the best available computer models. 

So you need to explain which atmospheric variable causes lunar eclipses and how that variable's value can be predicted years in advance.  You also need to explain how that thing can cause the Moon to appear red.  For example, how can a change in air temperature, pressure or pollen count make the Moon look red?  I eagerly await your response or your admission that lunar eclipses are yet another nail in the FE coffin.

Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:06 PM »
Why would I be using Newtonian Laws of Physics?  They were proven wrong a long time ago.
How about you go jump off a cliff and you will be fine if objects in motion don't tend to stay in motion.

What's the problem ? The earth is accelerating upward and if you jump off the cliff, won't the bottom  just come up to meet you ?
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

ausGeoff

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »
What ARE these "atmoplanic conditions" ?
Pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, etc. etc.  Is this the first time you have heard of these things?  You people are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to make posts like this in the debate section.  If you have been beat, then just concede.  I know not all of you have the ability to make a proper debate, but you don't need to waste the rest of our time by asking questions that you already know the answers to.

Are you seriously claiming that round earthers have never heard of these sorts of things jroa?  I hope not LOL.

And why do you waste the rest of our time by repeatedly posting these obviously disingenuous comments?  You claim that we (round earthers) don't have the "answers" to what causes lunar and solar eclipses, when in fact we've posted numerous references to their astrodynamics.

To refresh your memory:  Types of Solar and Lunar Eclipses.

And your explanation?  Two words:  "atmoplane conditions".  What does that phrase even mean?  Do you really believe that pressure and temperature (both non-visible entities) have anything at all to do with eclipses?  How exactly does pollen change the colour of the moon?  Why does the colour of the moon change in rural areas (such as where I live) that has zero evidence of smog?

And as I understand it, the FE term "atmoplane" is used simply to avoid using the recognised RE term atmosphere.  Which is actually just a wee bit childish don't you think?  After all, both terms apparently describe the same thing don't they?  Or are you claiming that your atmoplane's physical properties differ in some marked way from the properties of the RE atmosphere?  And if so, what specifically are those properties?

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2014, 07:11:14 AM »

What's the problem ? The earth is accelerating upward and if you jump off the cliff, won't the bottom  just come up to meet you ?
I believe the AE defy the Laws of Physics, paraphrasing a bit, Infinite Energy is not possible. Or will the earth just eventually stop and float there? Will this be before or after the magic Phlogiston runs out?
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
JROA, we are still waiting for you to explain how air pressure, temperature or pollen can explain lunar eclipses.
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

ausGeoff

« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
JROA, we are still waiting for you to explain how air pressure, temperature or pollen can explain lunar eclipses.

Yes; I asked those questions of jroa more than a week ago too.  I asked in response to his posting:

Pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, etc. etc.  Is this the first time you have heard of these things?  You people are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to make posts like this in the debate section.

So... jroa.  How's about an answer?

(And please refrain from using those disingenuous put-downs.)

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13:12 PM »
This topic has been around for quite a while now, and we still have no explanation from flat earthers about how lunar eclipses work.  (I am disregarding Pongo's theory about "lunar life forms".)  All we have is JROA'S extremely brief response that "pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, etc." might cause lunar eclipses.  JROA: either provide enough detail for your theory so that we can debate it, or admit that FE theory has no way to explain lunar eclipses.

ausGeoff

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
I'm still awaiting a response from jroa too.

It's not really satisfactory to simply claim that lunar eclipses are caused by air pressure, temperature or pollen etc—and leave it at that—without providing some supportive evidence.  I claim that a lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly behind the earth into its umbra.  And this is my evidence—which is the current scientific status quo:

[Department of Physics & Astronomy University of Tennessee]

Now let's see jroa's proof of his claim.

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 03:10:18 PM »
Two more days have now passed and jroa and company still can't explain how pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, or anything else can explain lunar eclipses. Oh wait, I just thought of something: if the Earth were spherical and orbited the Sun, while the spherical Moon orbits the Earth, that would explain it perfectly!  But I guess we'll have to reserve judgment until jroa gives us some details on his Pressure/Temperature/Pollen/Smog theory, hereafter known as the PTPS Theory.

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 03:18:59 PM »

It's not really satisfactory to simply claim that lunar eclipses are caused by air pressure, temperature or pollen etc—and leave it at that—without providing some supportive evidence.  I claim that a lunar eclipse occurs when the moon passes directly behind the earth into its umbra.  And this is my evidence—which is the current scientific status quo:

Hey, wait a minute.  If the moon in that diagram was on the other side of the earth, then it would block the light from the Sun. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 03:36:15 PM »

Hey, wait a minute.  If the moon in that diagram was on the other side of the earth, then it would block the light from the Sun.

What is shown is a lunar eclipse when the earth is blocking the light from the  sun to the moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

If the moon was on the other side of the earth the moon would  be blocking the light from the sun to the earth and that is a solar eclispe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse

ausGeoff :  Do you have a similar diagram to illustrate a solar eclipse ?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:52:57 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 03:41:20 PM »

Where's the shadowy object?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 04:03:30 PM »
 ???
Two more days have now passed and jroa and company still can't explain how pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, or anything else can explain lunar eclipses. Oh wait, I just thought of something: if the Earth were spherical and orbited the Sun, while the spherical Moon orbits the Earth, that would explain it perfectly!  But I guess we'll have to reserve judgment until jroa gives us some details on his Pressure/Temperature/Pollen/Smog theory, hereafter known as the PTPS Theory.

Still waiting for an answer about the horizon on the flat earth also. No answers there either.
Has the Flat Earth Society departed from the Flat Earth Society Forum  ???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:21:30 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 04:04:17 PM »

Where's the shadowy object?
It is right there behind the earth marked as 'Shadow', don't you see it?  Haha.
Add the tilt of the earths rotation axis and this one simple diagram explains so much:
Length of day
Sunset/Sunrise
Motion of stars
Solar eclipse
Lunar eclipse
The earths shadow as observed on the planes from high atop the rocky mountains
Seasons
Ocean tides
Consistent distance between points on the earth
Well known meteor showers
-- add the magnetic field
The ionosphere
Auroras
Radio interference after solar CMEs
Radio wave bounces

and so forth.  Each little addition fits snugly in as if it were pieces to a puzzle.

?

guv

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 04:05:51 PM »

Imagine having this on your gravestone.  Le=P/T+{Po+S}   Slightly better than F+fv+EV/DM*M     Both share at least one point, random lunacy.

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »
Oh, and here is a cool observation that can be made this time of year.  Note that in winter the full moon follows the same path across the sky as sun does in the middle of summer.  Any FETers care to guess what is going on?  The revers is true in summer, the full moon in summer follows the suns winter path.  Neat!

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »

Imagine having this on your gravestone.  Le=P/T+{Po+S}   Slightly better than F+fv+EV/DM*M     Both share at least one point, random lunacy.

Wouldn't be any worse than a certain party who had "PhD" and "MD" on his gravestone?
 ???
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:23:02 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2015, 04:16:59 PM »

Let me guess. Jroa will give a terrible explanation involving the lunar winds blowing the self illuminating dust with no chemical signature that conveniently is untouchable by humans risking death across the flat lunar disk close with magical suction keeping said dust on, and later deny this, further proving that jroa is not to be taken seriously.
Honestly, you'll run out of lame excuses one day. Just say "I don't know" for once. We can't possibly think less of you. In fact, we'll think more of you. I'm not being hostile here. Just say that you don't know. Rather than saying "It wouldn't be a good conspiracy if there was evidence everywhere.", say "I don't know what there is to gain from this.". Please jroa. You one day will cave and say that you don't know. Or not. It wouldn't be flat earth wild guess if there was logic laying around everywhere.

Let me try another guess.: The phases of the moon are caused by the solar winds blowing dust in the noses of the moon shrimp, which in turn causes the moon shrimp to sneeze and move across the moon's disc, which in turn cause the phases of the moon. QED and elementary, my dear Watson !
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 04:18:49 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »

If that diagram was correct, we should have a lunar eclipse every month.  ::)

?

guv

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
To predict eclipses, knowledge of two other cycles is required. One of these -- the length of the lunar month -- is easily determined. It is simply the number of days between one full Moon and the next. This cycle of 29-1/2 days is marked at Stonehenge by two rings of 29 and 30 holes, which together average 29.5. The other cycle, however, is of an altogether different character: it is a cycle of rotation of two invisible points in space. The evidence shows that the builders of Stonehenge probably discovered this cycle and could have used it to predict eclipses.

http://www.math.nus.edu.sg/aslaksen/gem-projects/hm/0102-1-stonehenge/eclipses.htm

I don't know if these guys were RE or fe but they might have got it right.

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2015, 06:11:55 PM »

Incorrect.  If the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun was parallel to the plane of the Moon's orbit around the Earth, you would be correct.  But those two planes are not parallel.

So now that you have once again chimed in on this topic, please elaborate on your theory that temperature, pressure, smog or pollen is the true cause of lunar eclipses.

ausGeoff

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 01:26:47 AM »
So now that you have once again chimed in on this topic, please elaborate on your theory that temperature, pressure, smog or pollen is the true cause of lunar eclipses.

It's of interest that—once again—jroa has avoided addressing a perfectly legitimate question fro the round earthers here.

His non-answer was:  "If that diagram was correct, we should have a lunar eclipse every month" which means he simply doesn't understand that the plane of the moon's orbit around the earth is not coplanar with the ecliptic plane.

And this sort of basic astrophysical knowledge is really high-school science stuff LOL.

And for the earlier request, a representation of a solar eclipse:

So again jroa... your explanation about temperature, pressure, smog or pollen causing eclipses is?

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2015, 04:29:19 AM »

Disingenuous post. Reported. Jroa is perfectly aware the diagram is simplified.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2015, 02:57:12 PM »
So we are still waiting for jroa to tell us whether lunar eclipses are caused by:

a) temperature
b) pressure
c) smog
d) pollen

jroa, do you really think an intelligent way to debate is to give 4 possible answers to a question, not indicate which you actually believe, and not give any detail about any of them?

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
So we are still waiting for jroa to tell us whether lunar eclipses are caused by:

a) temperature
b) pressure
c) smog
d) pollen

jroa, do you really think an intelligent way to debate is to give 4 possible answers to a question, not indicate which you actually believe, and not give any detail about any of them?

Another 2 days, and still no explanation for how pollen causes lunar eclipses. Oh wait, it's not pollen -- it's smog.  Or is it temperature or pressure?  Only jroa can tell us, since it's his theory!  jroa, either admit that flat earth theory has no explanation for lunar eclipses, or tell us the explanation.

ausGeoff

« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
Another 2 days, and still no explanation for how pollen causes lunar eclipses. Oh wait, it's not pollen -- it's smog.  Or is it temperature or pressure?  Only jroa can tell us, since it's his theory!  jroa, either admit that flat earth theory has no explanation for lunar eclipses, or tell us the explanation.

jroa was on the boards today at 09:04AM so I'm not sure why he's obviously avoiding addressing this question.  I could possibly understand the localised effects of humidity and/or atmospheric pollution conceivably affecting the terrestrial observation of eclipses, but there's no way I can see barometric pressure or temperature affecting it.  At any rate, telescopes are effectively seeing "through" any particulate matter in the earth's atmosphere;  the naked eye may see its effects though.

To refresh peoples' memories, three weeks ago jroa was asked—quite reasonably—"what are these atmoplanic conditions" and his response was "Pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, etc.  Is this the first time you have heard of these things?" as though it was all self-explanatory.  Which is not the case, obviously.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »

jroa was on the boards today at 09:04AM so I'm not sure why he's obviously avoiding addressing this question.  I could possibly understand the localised effects of humidity and/or atmospheric pollution conceivably affecting the terrestrial observation of eclipses, but there's no way I can see barometric pressure or temperature affecting it.  At any rate, telescopes are effectively seeing "through" any particulate matter in the earth's atmosphere;  the naked eye may see its effects though.

To refresh peoples' memories, three weeks ago jroa was asked—quite reasonably—"what are these atmoplanic conditions" and his response was "Pressure, temperature, pollen, smog, etc.  Is this the first time you have heard of these things?" as though it was all self-explanatory.  Which is not the case, obviously.

Obviously us round earthers are too stupid and indoctrinated to understand it.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.