The spotlight sun concept wouldn't work.

• 6 Replies
The spotlight sun concept wouldn't work.
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:13:32 AM »
A round sun would illuminate the entire Earth. A flat, more focused sun would still be visible to people whose part of the Earth is in the dark. The only way for it to be truly dark is if the sun set below the horizon, literally under the Earth. But then, the ENTIRE earth would go dark, for everyone.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Re: The spotlight sun concept wouldn't work.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:15:21 AM »
Also the parallax of a sun only 3,000 miles away (the typical distance attributed to the spotlight sun) would be insanely obvious and does not match observed facts.

Also welcome.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:23:05 AM »
Don't expect a reply to this question, flat earters have ran from it for a long time now.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:33:23 AM »
Don't expect a reply to this question, flat earters have ran from it for a long time now.

Posts like these are considered low-content as they add nothing to a debate and low-content posting is against the forums rules.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=43826.0#.VLgWYtLF-Gc

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:34:58 AM »
A round sun would illuminate the entire Earth. A flat, more focused sun would still be visible to people whose part of the Earth is in the dark. The only way for it to be truly dark is if the sun set below the horizon, literally under the Earth. But then, the ENTIRE earth would go dark, for everyone.

Are you saying a round-earth sun and a flat-earth sun or you do you quite literally mean a spherical and flat sun?

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
Even if you accepted a spotlight, the more problematic issue is that rimward (southern) areas would experience far less time in the light, and the intensity would be less as well.

Imagine flat earth with diameter D, and a spotlight traveling along the equator.  In order for a location on the equator to have a 12 hour day and 12 hour night, the spotlight would have to be larger than 1/2D.  If this were the case, locations near the north pole would always be in the spotlight and all locations south of the equator would have days less than 12 hours.

This is basic geometry.

Observations show that during December days are longer in the south than in the north, a physical impossibility if the sun moved in a circular pattern above a flat earth.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:53:17 AM by macrohard »

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »
@Pongo. I was talking about a flat spotlight sun. A spherical sun would illuminate the entire earth.