Free trip to the south pole

• 91 Replies
Free trip to the south pole
« on: January 12, 2015, 02:26:36 PM »
I don't know if I can make this happen, but maybe.  If I could sell the idea of a reality show that involves taking some ardent FET believers to the south pole, are there any FETers that would be willing to make the trip?  I have a few contacts I could make a pitch to, but if FETers are to afraid to make the journey it would be pointless.  Could be an interesting story.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Re: Free trip to the south pole
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
I don't know if I can make this happen, but maybe.  If I could sell the idea of a reality show that involves taking some ardent FET believers to the south pole, are there any FETers that would be willing to make the trip?  I have a few contacts I could make a pitch to, but if FETers are to afraid to make the journey it would be pointless.  Could be an interesting story.

Oh please make this happen. Id watch scepti, iWitness and heiwi explaining everything they saw away all day.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:26:41 PM by Lemmiwinks »
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:57:38 PM »
I'd totally watch that show if it existed.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 12:34:53 AM »

The problem is upon immediately seeing there is no cake dome or outpost cake dome defending ninjas, they'll say they're not really in Antarctica and that they were brought to a random place in order to lead them into thinking it was Antarctica.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:45 AM »

The problem is upon immediately seeing there is no cake dome or outpost cake dome defending ninjas, they'll say they're not really in Antarctica and that they were brought to a random place in order to lead them into thinking it was Antarctica.

As part of the deal, you'll need them to take measurements of (or at least look at) sun elevation every few hours, preferably for a full day, and note which way it's moving - left to right or right to left as they face it. That would pretty much nail it down, unless, of course, someone tries to claim the Sun is faked.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:07:49 AM »

As part of the deal, you'll need them to take measurements of (or at least look at) sun elevation every few hours, preferably for a full day, and note which way it's moving - left to right or right to left as they face it. That would pretty much nail it down, unless, of course, someone tries to claim the Sun is faked.

They can see the pixels.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Arith

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »
Shut up and take my money!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 09:58:59 AM »
It is a long shot, but considering how popular shows like Honey Bo Bo and Duck Dynasty have been, this could be a very successful and entertaining show.  Rants about the secret cabal of conspirators.  Maybe if the south pole is too intimidating, that could be made optional, there could be an option to leave after the New Zealand segment.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 11:48:48 AM »
Why not take the flat earters on a sunorbital flight?  They could look down to see how incredibly round the Earth is in one great moment truth rather then a large expedition.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
Why not take the flat earters on a sunorbital flight?  They could look down to see how incredibly round the Earth is in one great moment truth rather then a large expedition.

How do you get 22 episodes and a 2 part finale out of that?!! AD REVENUE MAN! Think of the dollars!

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »

How do you get 22 episodes and a 2 part finale out of that?!! AD REVENUE MAN! Think of the dollars!

You could do multiple suborbital flights and on each one you do multiple episodes and each episode covers a single flat earther on the mission.  Just an idea.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
I'm serious, if there was a FETer willing to make the trip I'd try to make it happen.  My point is not to ridicule them, it would be more to shed light on how the FET mind is thinking and how they respond to additional information.  The first shows would focus on interviews and explanations of FET, what would they expect to see, some predictions of how the sky will look, where they think the great ice wall is.  Then we would have a serious of trips starting somewhere in Canada (not Sunnyvale trailer park), maybe something like
Halifax ->
Reykjavik ->
Ankara ->
Bangalore ->
Alice Springs ->
Auckland ->
South Pole ->
Auckland ->
Honolulu ->
Seattle ->
Halifax

Well, that may be a bit much.  Maybe cut some of the stops out.  The point is to circumnavigate in short enough hops to do direct flights.  It would take some serious bank though.  Better be some good drama along the way.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 07:14:11 PM »
I'm willing to go on an all-expenses-paid trip "around" the world.

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:26:01 AM »
I'm serious, if there was a FETer willing to make the trip I'd try to make it happen. 

If we all were able to fund a mission to MEO, and bring some FE'rs with us, and orbited the Earth a few times, to observationally prove that the Earth is spherical, would you guys still hold   
some of your conjectures about things like gravity? Denpressure? Physics?
Nope. If you did what you say, I would change my whole stance and support the science world in full on space. Let me know when your mission is ready and I'll put a hydropacked lunch together.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »
I am in.  Let me know when this is going to happen so I can make plans. 

Slemon

• Flat Earth Researcher
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »
If you want to get more episodes out of it, have groups all going at right angles to one another. Some head along the 'ice wall', some right off the end. You can have arcs following the journey of each group (all in no contact with the other groups of course). See how long it takes before they're all 100% convinced that another group's heading away from the 'centre', and they're just walking the circumference.
And ideally, a finale where each group concludes the others must have been brainwashed by the conspiracy as everyone's saying they just walked along the ice wall and found no edge.
We all know deep in our hearts that Jane is the last face we'll see before we're choked to death!

Orifiel

• Stalwart Pumpkin god supporter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »

Dude. Bring me back a penguin. Pls, I need one :)

OT: I can just see Sceptimaniac being an obese conspiracy theorist that rolls around in his mobility chair with a shirt saying "9/11 was an Illuminati attack!" with cheeto stains on it
Je parle Français and yes, I am une fille

Pumpkin god 4 lyf

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
Ask pongo for the flat earth expedition funds. Remember to take a GPS and stopwatch.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
I tweeted Louis Theroux (for those not in the know, he's a BBC documentary maker who often focuses on marginalised sub-cultures) to see if he'd look into this society. I think his approach would be an absolutely perfect match with this topic  ;D

rooster

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 10:33:30 AM »
I'm in.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »
Ask pongo for the flat earth expedition funds. Remember to take a GPS and stopwatch.

The posted amount is still accurate.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »

Ask Heiwa to fund it, he is evidently a millionaire.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »
And don't forget a sandwich.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 03:27:21 PM »
So far we have Pongo, jroa and rooster.  Anyone else?  Can you make a 5 min video of yourself discussing FET? 

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
And don't forget a sandwich.

Hey Hoppy, you should go on the expedition.  I am sure people would just love to watch that show and see you explain away how everyone is lying to the small band of non-conspirators about literally everything for no apparent reason.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 03:36:08 PM »
I might be willing to record myself speaking about FET if that gets you off.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »
I might be willing to record myself speaking about FET if that gets you off.
What... Oh, I see, you confused about what mental masturbation is.

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »
How many letters in the word Crazy?

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 11:49:46 PM »
I'm in just as soon as you find the south pole .lm not interested in traverling simply to a phoney barbers pole.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
I'm in just as soon as you find the south pole .lm not interested in traverling simply to a phoney barbers pole.
Sorry, you have to be at least 12 years old to go on the trip.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.