Death of FET, next steps.

• 64 Replies
Death of FET, next steps.
« on: January 11, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »
Moores law has accelerated the advancement of technology to such a pace that FET is really 100% dead.  Google Sky Map is the final nail.  Everyone over 15 years of age has access to this application and there is no way anyone will ever believe the earth is flat after playing around with this application.  Things are moving so fast now that I don’t even have the time to become proficient in the latest computer language before the next one comes along.  One thing ushered in by the iPhone and smartphone revolution is the increase in computer literacy of the average person.  There are now more people using applications than ever, even my wife who fought tooth and nail against getting an iphone is on it using applications all the time.  The death of FET is here.  My prediction is that this site will only exist on web.archive.org within the next five years.

There is one last hurrah that this website can make before it fades into darkness.  A press release can be made that the Flat Earth Society is throwing in the towel and disbanding.  Such a news release would be picked up by pretty much every major news outlet.  It is a narrow window of opportunity, I highly encourage the people that are running this site to start working on their concession press release now so that it may be released before there is no interest and thus will not be picked up.

And for the FET believer, there is the opportunity to step into the light and share their story of discovery with the world.  It is afterall a unique and interesting story.  There are other conspiracy sites to jump on if there is still the hunger to poke at the status-quo.  But your days are numbered here, this site will most assuredly disappear.  But not to worry, your world will not.  You will wake up tomorrow with things pretty much the same as they are now.  There are many kind souls that would be more than happy to help catch you up on what you missed while your head was mired in all this FET nonsense.

The end is nigh.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Re: Death of FET, next steps.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
This will either get ugly or they will just ignore it completely.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:21:13 PM »
It may get ugly, but seriously it is time to call it.  The people that run this site have a short window of opportunity to capitalize on the death of FET.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
I think they will keep this website going  on by keeping on inventing new flat earth fantasies.
Most of them will probably not be in mutual agreement on subjects such as the ice dome, the shadow object , etc.. I don't think we should see the death of the FET. They will continue to come up with something for debate.
I don't think many people take the FET seriously anyway.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 07:42:25 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:03:41 PM »
There have been apps that map the night sky for years. And maps of the night sky for centuries. How does an app that tells you what stars your phone is pointing at radically differ from these other apps or maps?

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »
There have been apps that map the night sky for years. And maps of the night sky for centuries. How does an app that tells you what stars your phone is pointing at radically differ from these other apps or maps?
It is the rate of adaption of smart phones that is the critical factor.  Google sky map gets better and easier to use.  New apps and new tools that make FET an utter joke will come out as well. 

DonaldC

• Physics & Philosophy guy, teach science in China
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
They had better not close down the site before I get my T-shirt!   When will you be selling those again? Take my money already!!
"Think of the average person. Now remember how stupid he is. Now realize half of them are dumber than that." George Carlin

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 01:51:18 AM »
It may get ugly, but seriously it is time to call it.  The people that run this site have a short window of opportunity to capitalize on the death of FET.
FET died thousands of years ago - that's not going to stop a bunch of bored nerds and absolute lunatics from pretending it hasn't.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 03:56:25 AM »
So the Earth is not flat after all? If it is not flat then why do we see the rest of the world by line of sight? Wake up people; the earth IS flat  :P

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 04:18:02 AM »
FET died thousands of years ago - that's not going to stop a bunch of bored nerds and absolute lunatics from pretending it hasn't.

This is exactly it - a pretence not that the world is flat, but instead a pretence that flatness has not been disproved.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »
Another difference between Google Sky Map and other apps or programs to map the sky is that it is an interactive 3D application.  FETers have a hard time understanding any representation of the 3D world on a 2D map.  Google Sky Map bypasses the need to understand anything about transformations, scales or math in order to see and explore the reality of the spherical earth.  Also, the opportunity cost of experiencing something like Google Sky Map is approaching zero, soon even the most isolated and ardent FETer will bump into someone with Google Sky Map on their phone, and once they find out the think the earth is flat, they will pull out their phone, start pointing it into the sky and say look!

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
Moores law has accelerated the advancement of technology to such a pace that FET is really 100% dead.  Google Sky Map is the final nail.  Everyone over 15 years of age has access to this application and there is no way anyone will ever believe the earth is flat after playing around with this application.  Things are moving so fast now that I don’t even have the time to become proficient in the latest computer language before the next one comes along.  One thing ushered in by the iPhone and smartphone revolution is the increase in computer literacy of the average person.  There are now more people using applications than ever, even my wife who fought tooth and nail against getting an iphone is on it using applications all the time.  The death of FET is here.  My prediction is that this site will only exist on web.archive.org within the next five years.

There is one last hurrah that this website can make before it fades into darkness.  A press release can be made that the Flat Earth Society is throwing in the towel and disbanding.  Such a news release would be picked up by pretty much every major news outlet.  It is a narrow window of opportunity, I highly encourage the people that are running this site to start working on their concession press release now so that it may be released before there is no interest and thus will not be picked up.

And for the FET believer, there is the opportunity to step into the light and share their story of discovery with the world.  It is afterall a unique and interesting story.  There are other conspiracy sites to jump on if there is still the hunger to poke at the status-quo.  But your days are numbered here, this site will most assuredly disappear.  But not to worry, your world will not.  You will wake up tomorrow with things pretty much the same as they are now.  There are many kind souls that would be more than happy to help catch you up on what you missed while your head was mired in all this FET nonsense.

The end is nigh.

You are truly one sanctimonious SOB. Google Sky Map? Please.

You cite computer tech evolving, but you don't even mention the fact that images can be manipulated much easier than they used to be. The fact that something like Google Sky Map exists just goes to show how advanced our technology has become. It's just like a video game engine. Let's take Unreal Engine, for example. This engine has the power to make extremely realistic looking environments, yet no one claims that Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell actually happened. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

If you think "Google Sky Maps" destroys FET, then you must be very new here because if that was the case then Google Earth would have destroyed FET years ago. Guess what? We're still here. I would not trust a program as far as I could throw it (which isn't anywhere).

It would be wise to stop eating the spoonfuls of deceit fed to you by Google or other companies with ridiculous sums of money and power. Only then will you become truly enlightened.
Read the FAQS.

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »

The end is nigh.

You are truly one sanctimonious SOB. Google Sky Map? Please.

You cite computer tech evolving, but you don't even mention the fact that images can be manipulated much easier than they used to be. The fact that something like Google Sky Map exists just goes to show how advanced our technology has become. It's just like a video game engine. Let's take Unreal Engine, for example. This engine has the power to make extremely realistic looking environments, yet no one claims that Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell actually happened. That would be stupid, wouldn't it?

If you think "Google Sky Maps" destroys FET, then you must be very new here because if that was the case then Google Earth would have destroyed FET years ago. Guess what? We're still here. I would not trust a program as far as I could throw it (which isn't anywhere).

It would be wise to stop eating the spoonfuls of deceit fed to you by Google or other companies with ridiculous sums of money and power. Only then will you become truly enlightened.
So let's not use articles on this site ever, as they are lying to us. So I want to see how well Sandokhan and Clkjamas work without any articles. Or are only articles proving REM false? If so, you're an imbecile for believing that.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 10:39:04 AM »
No Vaux, the game engine argument wont work on this one. See in real time lets say, 2 people on opposite sides of the planet can in real time look at their sky with this app, see with their eyes in the sky the stars, then look at the screen and see it matches the sky. Then in real time, slew slowly down towards the ground. And if both were video taped while doing this, you would see that the sky they see through the planet will match the skys of the other person. Showing that the night sky of the other person must be on the other side of the ground you are standing on.

Now sure, if you only have two people that can be simulated, but 10? 10,000? One million? At what point do you have to say, to maintain this "conspiracy" is becoming exponentially harder and harder, which is the easier explanation... Flat or Round?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Vauxhall

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 10:49:10 AM »
No Vaux, the game engine argument wont work on this one. See in real time lets say, 2 people on opposite sides of the planet can in real time look at their sky with this app, see with their eyes in the sky the stars, then look at the screen and see it matches the sky. Then in real time, slew slowly down towards the ground. And if both were video taped while doing this, you would see that the sky they see through the planet will match the skys of the other person. Showing that the night sky of the other person must be on the other side of the ground you are standing on.

Now sure, if you only have two people that can be simulated, but 10? 10,000? One million? At what point do you have to say, to maintain this "conspiracy" is becoming exponentially harder and harder, which is the easier explanation... Flat or Round?

If such a program truly exists, which I have my doubts, it doesn't mean the Earth is round. A program like that could be compatible with a Flat Earth, depending on how their gathering these images. I'm guessing the weather balloons do most of the work here. If you think looking at the night sky is something that can only be done on a Round Earth then you need more help than I originally thought.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

If such a program truly exists, which I have my doubts, it doesn't mean the Earth is round. A program like that could be compatible with a Flat Earth, depending on how their gathering these images. I'm guessing the weather balloons do most of the work here. If you think looking at the night sky is something that can only be done on a Round Earth then you need more help than I originally thought.
Tell me the nearest big city to where you live with an international airport and I will meet you and show you Google Sky Map.

Vauxhall

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

Tell me the nearest big city to where you live with an international airport and I will meet you and show you Google Sky Map.

I'm looking at Google Sky Map now.

Are you ok?

Looks pretty rudimentary to me. Are you saying that these images are impossible to fake?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:58:25 AM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »

Are you ok?
You expressed doubts that Google Sky Map exists, I was afraid you would not have the ability or funds to obtain a smart phone and put Google Sky Map on it.  I travel often, I could easily add your city to my travels and show you in person.  Sounds like you have it under control though.

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »
Vauxhall is ignoring the fact that the images shown on the software can be compared with the real sky in front of the users. That is where it differs from Splinter Cell.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

Vauxhall

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
You expressed doubts that Google Sky Map exists,

No I didn't.
Read the FAQS.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
It is the rate of adaption of smart phones that is the critical factor.  Google sky map gets better and easier to use.  New apps and new tools that make FET an utter joke will come out as well.

So, just to clarify your position, it was perfectly reasonable to believe in a flat-earth before the the tipping point of cell phones?

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »

So, just to clarify your position, it was perfectly reasonable to believe in a flat-earth before the the tipping point of cell phones?
No, my position is that it has not been possible to show people that have no understanding of how a 3D spherical earth is represented on a 2D map without explaining how projections work and explaining some math before smart phones that contain GPS, accelerometers-gyros, magnetometers and an application like Google Sky Map.  Even 10 years ago such technology would have been too expensive for the average person to have and experience.  Now it is getting hard for the average person to not have access to this technology.   

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »

No I didn't.
You said "If such a program truly exists, which I have my doubts...."  My bad if that is not what you meant.

Vauxhall

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

No I didn't.
You said "If such a program truly exists, which I have my doubts...."  My bad if that is not what you meant.

Yes, that was your bad.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
Have a look at the specs of the iPhone 6:
http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/technology/

How many people even know what an accelerometer was 10 years ago.  Now millions of kids are walking around with an INS (Inertial Navigation System) integrated with GPS in their pocket.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 01:22:10 PM »

Are you ok?

Looks pretty rudimentary to me. Are you saying that these images are impossible to fake?
Are you saying that those images are impossible to authenticate as accurate? 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 01:57:02 PM »

Are you ok?

Yes, I am saying it is impossible to fake Google Sky Map.  I'm saying that Google Sky Map is based on the assumption that the earth is a spheroid that rotates around the sun.  I'm saying that no matter where you point Google Sky Map in the night sky the stars on the screen match the stars seen with ones own eyes.  I'm saying that it even works as you bring the phone through the horizon and look directly down.  You can see stars and planets that are below the horizon and watch them rise.  It is seamless, it is distortion free, there is no gap, no line, no void.  It is just an amazing thing to behold, that you can hold in your hands a real time 3D simulation of the stars and planets that works anywhere on the surface of the earth.  It even works in Antarctica.  I've never been but I know people that have.  I hope to have the time and money to go before I am too old to make the journey though:
http://www.polarcruises.com/antarctica
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:11:05 PM by gpssjim »

Vauxhall

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 01:59:55 PM »
I understand your position. I mainly don't understand why you think that Sky Map wouldn't work with the Flat Earth model. Care to explain why you think they are incompatible? You realize that we all see the night sky the same way, regardless of what we think the shape of the Earth is, yes? We have a functional model of how the stars work within FET.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
I understand your position. I mainly don't understand why you think that Sky Map wouldn't work with the Flat Earth model. Care to explain why you think they are incompatible? You realize that we all see the night sky the same way, regardless of what we think the shape of the Earth is, yes? We have a functional model of how the stars work within FET.
All you have to do is show me one equation to compute the position of the stars based on the observers position that works anywhere in the world.  That is all.  Then you will have me at "x =".  (That's a joke by the way, a play on the line "You had me at hello".)

A good place to start would be:
90deg South, 0deg West
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 02:08:33 PM by gpssjim »

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »

The visible sky can be shown as a sphere. How do you propose to see the stars and constellations on the 'bottom half' of the sphere if we are all on the top of a disc.....?
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by ignorance or stupidity.