GPS absolutely 100% proves the earth is a spheroid

• 56 Replies
GPS absolutely 100% proves the earth is a spheroid
« on: January 08, 2015, 02:23:50 PM »
GPS (Global Position System) or more accurately GNSS (Global Navigation Satellite System) proves with absolute certainty that the earth is a spheroid and that our current understanding of geodesy is correct.  This fact can be personally verified by anyone that cares to test the validity of GNSS for a few hundred dollars and a few hours of experimentation.

A GNSS receiver can be purchased for about $200 that will output the users position as well as the raw data used to compute that position.  It is common knowledge that such systems exist and function accurately as witnessed by anyone who has purchased a high end motor vehicle within the last decade.  FET believers explain this with the notion that GNSS is really just a ground based system and that the government or other conspirators have hidden this fact in complex designs of the GNSS chipsets to make the units appear to be using satellites for navigation.  Thus the suppose that the position results reported are based on some terrestrial navigation system.  However, it is also possible to capture the actual raw data from the receiver, and for the US GPS system (NavStar) these measurements include the Keplerian orbital elements (ephemeris) for each satellite (SV) along with a measurement of the distance between the user and all SVs that are currently being tracked.  The SV ephemeris is used to compute the position of each satellite tracked at the time of measurement, then the users position is computed from solving a simple set of equations that relate the users position to the position of each tracked SV (observation equation):

range_to_sv = sqrt((Xuser-Xsv)^2+(Yuser-Ysv)^2+(Zuser-Zsv)^2)+CLKuser*Cvac

Where:
range_to_sv    this it the range measurement reported by the receiver
X,Y,Z sv          The position of the satellite in ECEF (Earth Centered Earth Fixed)
X,Y,Z user       The unknown position of the user
CLKuser          The unknown error in the GNSS receiver time.
Cvac               Speed of light in a vacuum

Since inexpensive GNSS receivers use simple quartz clocks, the internal time is not very accurate which is the reason the term CLKuser has to be included in the observation equation.  Since GNSS uses the time it takes for signals to travel from the satellite to the receiver to compute the distance, the range_to_sv value measured by the receiver will include this clock error.  So for the GNSS user, there are four unknowns, the X,Y,Z position of the user, and the error in the GNSS receiver clock.  If four or more satellites are tracked, then it is possible to solve the set of equations for the unknown values.  Note that the GNSS user not only computes it's position, but also an extremely accurate estimate of the current time.  In fact, some GNSS users are only interested in the time solution for the synchronization of clocks.

If a user collects this raw data along with the position results reported by the receiver they will see that all range measurements and SV ephemeris data are consistent with the user position.  FET believers may at this point try to explain this by saying that the SV ephemeris and range data is faked by the receiver to make things work.  The problem with this argument is that the user can only receive signals from satellites that are in clear view.  If there is any obstruction, such as a hill or a tall building, it is not possible to track a satellite blocked by that obstruction.  How would it be possible for a faked GNSS system to know when to discontinue providing data for a satellite due to obstructions?  It would require a real time 3d model of every hill, tree, building, bridge, tunnel etc. in order to create this faked data.  Also, the GNSS system is a receive only system, the transponders are only broadcasting information and only the users GNSS system actually knows where it is, so this real time model would have to be inside the GNSS system.  There simply is no possible way to fake the GNSS raw measurements, and the raw measurements show that the GNSS SVs are in an orbit around the earth.

Done, RET proved, solved period.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
Re: GPS absolutely 100% proves the earth is a spheroid
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
I think the deafening silence from the flat earthers is welcome enough, but let me also say welcome!

You get your first lesson on how these forums work!
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
The answer is either stratolites, mimicking technology as a smartphone, or some new theory that is made just for this topic.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 08:41:42 AM »
The answer is either stratolites, mimicking technology as a smartphone, or some new theory that is made just for this topic.

My favorite are the balloons in the jet streams that mimic satellites.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »

Yes, the silence is palpable!  Even balloons in the jet stream can not fake the signal reception observed from GPS.  In fact, the signals from GPS can be used to observe all sorts of ionospheric and atmospheric phenomena.  For example, by modeling the delay of GPS signals in the atmosphere, it is possible to estimate the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, and this information can then be fed into weather models and have a positive impact on the weather prediction.  There are GPS receivers on low earth orbiting (LEO) satellites dedicated to tracking GPS satellite signals is the slice through the earths atmosphere and are able to create profiles of the atmosphere (http://www.cosmic.ucar.edu/ro.html).    Of course, the FET mind does not accept anything from an outside source, so now the problem is that they can actually verify the legitimacy of GPS on there on for very little cost.  They can see it with their own eyes.  But if they refuse to see, there is nothing to be done.   

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:08:43 AM »
Its been done many times and the answer is still not satellites. It's simply cell towers and triangulated positions using a stronger signal, that's it.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:55 AM »

I think those balloons are also made of some magical material which makes them invisible.
And invisilble cell towers in the middle of the oceans. Or cell towers on invisible floating buoys in the middle of the oceans.

The problem is that we "Round Earthers" spend too much time in reality making things happen and work  that "Flat Earthers" say are impossible that we lack the imagination to make up all the things that the "Flat Earthers" make up , such as "Ice Walls" around the edge of the "Flat Earth" and the "Ice Dome" over the "Flat Earth" that meets the "Flat Earth" where the "Ice Dome" meets the "Ice Wall."

Happy New Year ! and welcome to you from all of us "stupid and indoctrinated "Round Earthers" who are members of a vast "Round Earth  Conspiracy" which includes scientists and engineers who just make up their their theories.....However , if it wasn't for scientists and engineers we wouldn't have The Flat Earth Society Forum Website, much less the Internet.

Cheers and a great big LOL !

Read my signature line . Seriously , there are a lot of experts who post a lot of really valuable information about reality, so don't go away. You might learn a few things. I have.

Incidentally, sceptimatic is the Flat Earth Genius and jroa is someone you may see from time to time on this website. They are the spokespersons for the Flat Earth Society.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:29:50 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:19 AM »
Its been done many times and the answer is still not satellites. It's simply cell towers and triangulated positions using a stronger signal, that's it.
No no no no no.  It is not cell towers and it can be proved!  You can prove it yourself, you can be a witness to the unfolding of enlightenment in your own mind.  GPS is a multi-billion dollar tool that you can use for just a few hundred dollars!  Anyone can prove to themselves that GPS is a satellite based navigation system.  The truth will set you free!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 09:24:35 AM »
No no no no no.  It is not cell towers and it can be proved!  You can prove it yourself, you can be a witness to the unfolding of enlightenment in your own mind.  GPS is a multi-billion dollar tool that you can use for just a few hundred dollars!  Anyone can prove to themselves that GPS is a satellite based navigation system.  The truth will set you free!
You can't prove anything. You arrogantly pretend you can but you can't. Your lies will keep you untrusted.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »

Careful, all he will say is that any proof you have is fake, only he knows the truth and you can never change his mind.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 09:27:57 AM »
You can't prove anything. You arrogantly pretend you can but you can't. Your lies will keep you untrusted.
Yet you have no evidence to explain how your GPS receiver works.  I assume you have one.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »

See?

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »

Careful, all he will say is that any proof you have is fake, only he knows the truth and you can never change his mind.
But here is the rub, you can get that proof yourself!  You can touch the hot stove to see that it is hot.  Hell, come visit me in Boulder Colorado and I'll give you the tools you need to see!

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »

You might as well get used to sceptimatic. Ask him about all his "academic achievements" and all the books he has written.

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:03 AM »

My apologies for the nit-picking. The correct spelling is "stratellites".

BTW & FWIW. And on the Flat Earth, there is no such thing as an "atmosphere"....It's the "atmoplane." ::)

Don't ask questions and expect any answers from the Flat Earthers either. :'(

Chorus:

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 09:42:02 AM »

You might as well get used to sceptimatic. Ask him about all his "academic achievements" and all the books he has written.
I really don't care bout "academic achievements" or book authorship.  The truth is the truth, whether spoken by and idiot or a genius.  Being truthful and honest will get my attention.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 09:45:54 AM »

I really don't care bout "academic achievements" or book authorship.  The truth is the truth, whether spoken by and idiot or a genius.  Being truthful and honest will get my attention.

IMHO, Mr. L. Frank Baum, who wrote "The Wizard Of Oz" was a piker compared to these Flat Earthers when it comes to imagination . LOL. "Oz" isn't even on the same level as the Flat Earth.  Pardon the unintended pun.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:53:27 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
The only argument has been, "It's not satellites, it's cell towers".  To be clear, it is possible to do positioning of cell phones using cell towers, but I'm talking about GPS receivers, not cell phones.  These receivers only output the users positron and can not be used for making phone calls.  They work anywhere in the world and compute the users position based on signals received from satellites.

Here is an interesting example, actually it is a novel and inventive way to use the GPS system, this use was not conceived of when GPS was invented and it took an 'out of the box' thinker to come up with it.  One can put a GPS system on a cliff next to the ocean.  By looking at the signal strength received by the satellites as they rise or set over the ocean, it is actually possible to estimate the height difference between the GPS antenna and the surface of the ocean.  The reason this is possible is that the signal from the satellite reflects off of the surface of the ocean and the GPS antenna actually receivers a signal directly from the satellite and a signal the reflects of the surface of the ocean.  Since the path length of the reflected signal is longer than the direct signal, the reflected signal is out of phase.  This causes constructive and destructive interference at the antenna, which in turns makes the signal stronger and weaker in a periodic fashion.  As the satellite rises or sets, the difference in the path length of the reflected signal and direct signal changes and thus the phase shift between the direct signal and reflected signal changes.  If one works out the math of how the interference is generated, it is possible to relate the height difference to the frequency of the change in signal strength.

Similar unique applications like this of GPS are now being investigated to detect crop moisture.  If it works reliably, the farmer can put a GPS system next to their field and by looking at how the signals reflected off his crop behave relative to the direct signal, it would possible to know if irrigation is required or not.  Kind of neat!

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
GPS is powered by weather balloons and cell towers. It's really quite simple. You don't know anything about GPS, and you don't know anything about how data is transmitted across long distances. This is apparent just by reading the first few sentences of the OP.

Why you feel that 'satellites' need to be involved in this process at all is just moronic. Maybe do some real research before posting verified garbage data?
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »
GPS is powered by weather balloons and cell towers. It's really quite simple. You don't know anything about GPS, and you don't know anything about how data is transmitted across long distances. This is apparent just by reading the first few sentences of the OP.

Why you feel that 'satellites' need to be involved in this process at all is just moronic. Maybe do some real research before posting verified garbage data?
Weather balloons, really?  I am willing to give you exact details of how GPS works, how the signal is generated, how it is tracked, how you can buy one yourself for $180 and connect it to your laptop.  Yet you are not willing to describe to me how GPS works with cell towers and weather balloons, not a single formula, not a single bit of information.  Why are you so selfish and unwilling to share your knowledge?  Do you not want to spread the gospel of FET? 

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »

Read gps.gov and comment.

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »

What do non-government satellite companies gain by telling us that they use satellites if they really don't?  Their customers only care about what the service does and how much it costs -- customers do not care about the service's technical details.
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

Vauxhall

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »

Weather balloons, really?  I am willing to give you exact details of how GPS works, how the signal is generated, how it is tracked, how you can buy one yourself for $180 and connect it to your laptop.  Yet you are not willing to describe to me how GPS works with cell towers and weather balloons, not a single formula, not a single bit of information.  Why are you so selfish and unwilling to share your knowledge?  Do you not want to spread the gospel of FET?

The weather balloons are equip with high-definition cameras and reflectors that bounce the data to cell towers, which then transmits that data to our phones and other GPS devices. The reason this works is because the Earth is flat, and therefore there is no curve which could cause problems during data transmission from weather balloon reflector to cell tower to your phone. Like I said, it's simple.

Occam's Razor support this theory and I've seen these weather balloons with my own eyes, so there's also that. You wouldn't believe the countless number of people that show up on these forums who think they're tough or smart-shit because they post copy-pasta about how GPS supposedly works via satellites. Believe me, I've seen every diatribe, every dogma filled rant, and every damn explanation out there about GPS but Occam's Razor still favors balloon-tower theory every time.

I have and it was a waste of time. Firstly, that's a government run site. Do you not know anything about FET?  :-\
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2015, 10:29:03 AM »

The weather balloons are equip with high-definition cameras and reflectors that bounce the data to cell towers, which then transmits that data to our phones and other GPS devices. The reason this works is because the Earth is flat, and therefore there is no curve which could cause problems during data transmission from weather balloon reflector to cell tower to your phone. Like I said, it's simple.

Occam's Razor support this theory and I've seen these weather balloons with my own eyes, so there's also that. You wouldn't believe the countless number of people that show up on these forums who think they're tough or smart-shit because they post copy-pasta about how GPS supposedly works via satellites. Believe me, I've seen every diatribe, every dogma filled rant, and every damn explanation out there about GPS but Occam's Razor still favors balloon-tower theory every time.

I have and it was a waste of time. Firstly, that's a government run site. Do you not know anything about FET?  :-\
Could you please explain the variation in the SNR of the balloon signal I am getting when I track them next to the ocean?  Can you please explain why signals from the balloon are blocked by buildings in the way of the receiver and the exact position of the made up SV?  Or are the balloons taking the same path an orbiting SV would take at the same height?

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »

Please explain 'bounces the data' in detail and how do the ballons know where they are?

Vauxhall

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
Do I really need to explain what bounce means?  I think I'm going to skip that asinine question for now.

As for how the balloons know where they are: terrestrial-based receivers that timestamp and keep track of positioning, accounting for wind and other possible disturbances.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
Do I really need to explain what bounce means?  I think I'm going to skip that asinine question for now.

As for how the balloons know where they are: terrestrial-based receivers that timestamp and keep track of positioning, accounting for wind and other possible disturbances.
How are terrestrial-based receivers synchronized in time?  (cell towers these days are using GPS for time sync)  What is the math used to compute the position of the balloon?  Are the balloons free floating or are they actively moved?  How do they know to turn off the signal when the path from the made up SV and user is obstructed?  You can't answer any of these questions.  Yet ask me how GPS works and I'll answer every question you have in detail.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:59:30 AM by gpssjim »

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »

How many balloons are there and who is the manufacturer?

Vauxhall

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »

There are close to a million balloons scattered across Earth. They are manufactured by private companies that are largely funded by the government, one of which is called Kaymont Consolidated Industries.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 11:09:13 AM »

There are close to a million balloons scattered across Earth. They are manufactured by private companies that are largely funded by the government, one of which is called Kaymont Consolidated Industries.
Which government?  Strange that KCI dont mention GPS on their website.

So I receive my 20 US and Russian signals from balloons or cell towers?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:15:39 AM by inquisitive »