Measurement of the Astronomical Unit

• 21 Replies
Measurement of the Astronomical Unit
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:19:53 PM »
Observations of the transit of Venus have allowed us to measure the distance between earth and sun as many millions of miles. This does not fit with FET. How are these observations explained?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Measurement of the Astronomical Unit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 06:04:24 PM »
Observations of the transit of Venus have allowed us to measure the distance between earth and sun as many millions of miles. This does not fit with FET. How are these observations explained?

There are several websites with information about this for RE but I don't think this been addressed to FET  before. For asking this.....From viewers like us. Thank You.

I have a related question for the FET.:
According to one FET source the distance from the earth to the sun is 30 miles ? If Venus makes a transit of the sun, then Venus would have to be closer to the earth than the sun ? If this is so, what is the distance from the earth to Venus according to FET ?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 06:16:59 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 01:57:51 AM »
If I remember correctly, one AU in FE is equivalent to 3000 miles.
I think, therefore I am

?

guv

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 02:24:43 AM »
Little known fact the transit of Venus had a lot to do with Australian history.

Lieutenant James Cook was the first European known to have explored the more habitable east coast. Cook had been sent to chart the transit of Venus from Tahiti, but he also charted much of the Australian and New Zealand coastlines. He reached New Zealand in October 1769, and mapped its coast. On 19 April 1770, the crew of the Endeavour sighted the east coast of Australia and ten days later landed in a bay now located in Sydney's southern suburbs.

So how far away is the sun.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 04:17:19 PM »
If I remember correctly, one AU in FE is equivalent to 3000 miles.

Maybe so, but that doesn't fit with the geometry observed in a Venus transit.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:34:22 PM »
No flat earthers yet, that's odd.  Oh wait, they do this every time a good question is posted, that's one of their trademark moves.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

?

guv

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »
No flat earthers yet, that's odd.  Oh wait, they do this every time a good question is posted, that's one of their trademark moves.

Bummer you worked that out so quick. I was trying to be the least answered user here as a matter of pride.

ausGeoff

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:32 AM »
So... after four days and 126 views, are we expected to believe that not one flat earther has read this thread?

Q1.  Assuming several have, why have they not addressed a perfectly legitimate question?

Q2.  Why do flat earth moderators demand repeatedly we're to post questions in this Q&A forum, but then resolutely ignore them?

???

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:23:12 PM »
So... after four days and 126 views, are we expected to believe that not one flat earther has read this thread?

Q1.  Assuming several have, why have they not addressed a perfectly legitimate question?

Q2.  Why do flat earth moderators demand repeatedly we're to post questions in this Q&A forum, but then resolutely ignore them?

???

It's obvious. They don't answer because they can't. If they could, they would. An unanswered question is the marker of a disproof of part of FET, you should rejoice.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
There are almost a million and a half posts on this forum. We've discussed this in the past many times. Why don't you do a search?

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
To be as unhelpful as Tom in this QA thread, get used to things like this as the two sites combine. The believers that moved there all resort to "I can't be assed to explain this to you because we already did years ago or its in the faqs"
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »
There are almost a million and a half posts on this forum. We've discussed this in the past many times. Why don't you do a search?

I did. This is what I found: You, Mr Bishop, failing to mount any objection to the argument other than to claim the measurements never took place. Jroa and Pongo stating "there are complex maths which explain that it works on a flat earth" but when asked, refusing to clue us in to what those maths are.
And several other threads where Guv and others attempt to get FE'ers to address this and nobody responds.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 05:01:53 PM »

I did. This is what I found: You, Mr Bishop, failing to mount any objection to the argument other than to claim the measurements never took place. Jroa and Pongo stating "there are complex maths which explain that it works on a flat earth" but when asked, refusing to clue us in to what those maths are.
And several other threads where Guv and others attempt to get FE'ers to address this and nobody responds.

It sounds like you found your answer then. There are complex maths involved, but it is above your head, and so it would be a waste of time to try and explain it to you.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 05:33:44 PM »

It sounds like you found your answer then. There are complex maths involved, but it is above your head, and so it would be a waste of time to try and explain it to you.

Thats a bit presumptive of you isn't it?
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 08:29:06 PM »

If they actually understood it themselves, they should go ahead and explain it. Even if person who asked the question doesn't understand it, others might. It also gets you on record as having something to back up your position. The downside, of course, is if your solution is wrong, it is now subject to analysis and its flaws publicly exposed.

"I know the answer, but I can't be bothered to show it to the likes of you" is the very lame refuge of someone who either doesn't really have the answer, or thinks he does, but has no confidence it can withstand scrutiny.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »

If you say this is the answer, why did you previously try to claim the measurements never took place?
Who worked out the maths? Where are they?

ausGeoff

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:38 AM »
There are complex maths involved, but it is above your head, and so it would be a waste of time to try and explain it to you.

Is there any particular reason you so often respond to RE's questions in such a patronising and insulting way Tom?  It seems that rather than make any attempt to address the questions, or even provide appropriate links, your preference is invariably one-line putdowns.

Am I correct in assuming that you're a moderator on these forums?  And if so, why is it that your responses usually contain no meaningful input?  Shouldn't you—of all people—be setting an example of acceptable forum netiquette, rather than simply bad-mouthing the REs?  Or are you not a true believer in the flat earth model yourself?

???

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 03:56:50 PM »

The previously undetermined Bishop Constant has now been verified to be 455.

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »

The previously undetermined Bishop Constant has now been verified to be 455.
Citation needed. It's supposed to be 42.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
Please be mindful of low-content posts in the upper forums.

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 07:40:21 AM »

That was to Toms post here right?

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »

Saying "citation needed" is considered a low content post?  Seriously?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.