Poor Server Speed Affecting Site Viability?

• 26 Replies

ausGeoff

Poor Server Speed Affecting Site Viability?
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »
Site is becoming almost unusable because of slow server speeds.

Log-in timing = 1min 50sec to 2min+
Reload current open page = 25sec to 40sec
New load existing page = 35sec to 50sec
Post reply = 35sec to 1min+

My line speeds:

I'm using Win 7, 64 bit plus Firefox 33.

Can one of the administrators please check into this and report back to us?

—Thanks.    :)

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Poor Server Speed Affecting Site Viability?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:11 AM »
Site is becoming almost unusable because of slow server speeds.

Log-in timing = 1min 50sec to 2min+
Reload current open page = 25sec to 40sec
New load existing page = 35sec to 50sec
Post reply = 35sec to 1min+

My line speeds:

I'm using Win 7, 64 bit plus Firefox 33.

Can one of the administrators please check into this and report back to us?

I asked this question on another thread, but why does this website seem to be the only one with this problem ? True, I may not have visited a lot of other websites , but I have never run into this problem on any other websites.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

ausGeoff

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 04:41:19 AM »
I asked this question on another thread, but why does this website seem to be the only one with this problem ? True, I may not have visited a lot of other websites , but I have never run into this problem on any other websites.

I visit literally dozens of sites from across the world every day, and this site is by far the slowest I've come across.  It was nice of the site's administrators to respond to my comments [sic] too wasn't it LOL?  The FES seems to have nobody capable of investigating technical issues with the site and/or its server, and I can only assume that it was all set up way back when by some tech-head who's now long gone.  And the site's never been upgraded since that day.

It's kinda strange—that for an organisation which has as one of its main aims educating the wider public on the likelihood of a flat earth—the FES is so technically ill-equipped to run a web site proficiently.  It's certainly not a good self-promotion for the science they preach.

I only persevere because I've got more than enough free time in order to spend five minutes to read and respond to a posting that should take 30 seconds.  And I'm certain that a lot of potential forum participants are put off posting by this ludicrously slow server of theirs, as some folks do have other lives—except me apparently LOL.

Lemmiwinks

• President of the Non-Conformist Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 11:17:57 AM »
I just signed up for tfes.org. I kinda hope more people here do too. Its fun honing debate and logic skills here against crazies, but the slow speed is just mind numbing.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 11:24:24 AM »
And holy crap they actually have a bunch of real believers, not like here with a bunch of trolls. This might be fun.
I have 13 [academic qualifications] actually. I'll leave it up to you to guess which, or simply call me a  liar. Either is fine.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
I have posted some items of problems to the administrator .

His response was "Why should you care ?"

My response was that he, as an administrator, should care. But it seems the administrators don't care what a bad name this website is getting for problems such as the slowness on the website. And they seem to be unable to get a fix on the problem of the slowness.

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 12:18:19 PM »
Please, don't flat out lie like that, Googleotomy. 

Lemmiwinks

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »

His response was "Why should you care ?"

My response was that he, as an administrator, should care. But it seems the administrators don't care what a bad name this website is getting for problems such as the slowness on the website. And they seem to be unable to get a fix on the problem of the slowness.

Thats because the people running the site don't believe in this crap anymore than you do.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Which administrator was that?
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »

jroa

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

ausGeoff

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 01:46:51 AM »
I have posted some items of problems to the administrator.

Hey there PizzaPlanet...

Assuming you're one of the administrators, could you please comment on the numerous complaints—including mine—that've been raised about the deteriorating server speeds on this site recently?  It really is causing a lot of unnecessary irritation for the "regulars" and also possibly putting a lot of other folks off posting comments.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
ausGeoff, PizzaPlanet is not an administrator here.  He does help run the tfes.org site, which seems to run well with PP and Parsifal in control.  However, this site is mainly run by John Davis, Daniel, and Lord Wilmore. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 07:14:42 AM »
ausGeoff, PizzaPlanet is not an administrator here.  He does help run the tfes.org site, which seems to run well with PP and Parsifal in control.  However, this site is mainly run by John Davis, Daniel, and Lord Wilmore.

Thanks for the response jroa...

Is there any chance of you communicating directly with any of those three guys in order to sort out the slow server issues?  I'm guessing they don't have the time or the inclination to read any/all of these posts in the "Suggestions & Concerns" forum?

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 06:04:35 AM »
jroa
jroa isn't an administrator.

Hey there PizzaPlanet...

Assuming you're one of the administrators
And sadly neither am I.

All I can say is that a year ago, in response to many problems that this site has, we've set up an alternative site at forum.tfes.org (where I am one of the admins, and we do respond to issues there  ;) ), and most of the old regulars are there. We're currently negotiating a merger of the two sites, so at some point in the unspecified future (depending on how quickly negotiations with this site's administration proceed) we are planning to move all posts from this site to the other and unite everything under the much faster server and software solution that we're using.

Unfortunately, until that happens I have no sway over how this site works, so I can only suggest that you use forum.tfes.org for the time being.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:07:20 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 06:17:19 AM »

Thanks for the response jroa...

Is there any chance of you communicating directly with any of those three guys in order to sort out the slow server issues?  I'm guessing they don't have the time or the inclination to read any/all of these posts in the "Suggestions & Concerns" forum?

The best I can do is send out some emails and hope that someone will look into this issue.  I'll let you know when I get responses.  I think I still have your email address.  Would you like for me to forward the responses to you? 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Daniel Shenton ‏@Danielshenton 8m8 minutes ago

Hi all. Sorry about the forums being very sluggish now. I'm looking into it and this should be resolved very soon. More updates to follow!

Merry Christmas  :P
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
Very sorry about the poor performance you're all experiencing on here recently.  I've done some investigating and the site is being attacked by a handful of Tor nodes as well as IP addresses in the Ukraine, Luxembourg and a random assortment of other locations from which we're usually not getting hundreds of access attempts per second.  Very annoying.  I'm working with the hosting service to get this sorted out.

Thanks to Jroa for alerting me.

And, as PizzaPlanet mentioned, we're trying to work out some way of 'merging' the two sites so that the forums are in the hands of the more technically capable tfes.org guys.  Still ironing out the details of that but the sooner it's done, the happier everyone will be, I'm sure.

?

guv

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 08:46:23 PM »
Getting this image in my head of this Ukrainian bloke dodging incoming, trying to make  a house out of the rubble, getting so bored that he hacks into the flat earth site. Makes more sense than a flat earth.

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 04:38:36 AM »
This takes the unusability of this site to the new level:

I think, therefore I am

ausGeoff

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2014, 06:19:58 AM »
Very sorry about the poor performance you're all experiencing on here recently.  I've done some investigating and the site is being attacked by a handful of Tor nodes as well as IP addresses in the Ukraine, Luxembourg and a random assortment of other locations from which we're usually not getting hundreds of access attempts per second.  Very annoying.  I'm working with the hosting service to get this sorted out.

Thanks to Jroa for alerting me.

And, as PizzaPlanet mentioned, we're trying to work out some way of 'merging' the two sites so that the forums are in the hands of the more technically capable tfes.org guys.  Still ironing out the details of that but the sooner it's done, the happier everyone will be, I'm sure.

Many thanks Daniel for your input.    :)

The problem seems to have been resolved now (in Australia 25/12 @ 1427hrs UTC).

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
The sight seems to be operating much better :). Ty Daniel :)
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »
Glad to hear it's working better now.  The attack seems to be slowing down but I'm keeping an eye on it closely.  And I'm looking into long-term solutions to avoid DDOS-related slowdowns in the future.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2014, 07:30:05 AM »
Overall, it does seem to be better, but still a bit hit or miss.  :-\
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2014, 07:42:49 AM »
Glad to hear it's working better now.  The attack seems to be slowing down but I'm keeping an eye on it closely.  And I'm looking into long-term solutions to avoid DDOS-related slowdowns in the future.

A cloud based DDoS mitigation service can be useful.
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »

It's definitely better now. Thanks!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Misero

• Of course it's flat. It looks that way up close.
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
Noticed the change at this point.
I am the worst moderator ever.

Sometimes I wonder: "Why am  I on this site?"
Then I look at threads about clouds not existing and I go back to posting and lurking. Lurk moar.