Answer this Question Round Earth Shills (Hint: You can't)

• 18 Replies

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Answer this Question Round Earth Shills (Hint: You can't)
« on: December 09, 2014, 05:57:22 AM »
With the Wind blowing to the West, and the Earth Rotating to the East, why doesn't a Hot Air balloon travel 1000 miles or more to the West from the starting location near the equator in one hour?

You can't say the Atmosphere is moving with the Earth because the Wind is blowing West and the Air Balloon is moving with the Wind. If the Earth is rotating 1000 mph to the East, the ground should move 1000 miles or more in a single hour.

Obviously, 1000 miles is an approximation, but still..... there would be a considerable change in landscape no matter where you are on a Ball-shaped earth with 25,000 miles circumference spinning 1000 mph.

Let's just say for example, the wind is blowing 20 mph to the West, how far should the Balloon go in one hour?

Balloons fly as fast or as slow as the wind that carries them. Since a hot air balloon has no propulsion system, speed is completely dependent on wind velocity.
source: https://www.udel.edu/PR/UpDate/98/4/all.html

Interesting, you mean to tell me the ground spinning 1000 miles per hour doesn't influence the speed of the air balloon at all? Amazing, you would think with the wind blowing west and the earth spinning east, there would be a noticeable difference.

According to balloonwaco.com FAQ:

Depending on the wind speed, the balloon may travel only a couple of miles or as many as 8 or 9.

Hot air balloons generally only move a few miles or however far the wind takes them. The ground doesn't move an inch.

Q: HOW LONG IS AN AVERAGE BALLOON FLIGHT?

A: Usually a balloon flight lasts about an hour. At an average wind speed of about 5 mph, a balloon will fly 2 – 8 miles. Ground crews follow the balloon, talking on the radio with the pilot. The balloon will land in an open area with the ground crew there to help recover the equipment and to take the pilot and passengers back to the launch site.
source: http://www.skydrifters.com/about/your-flight/
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
Re: Answer this Question Round Earth Shills (Hint: You can't)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 06:00:03 AM »
How come nobody has ever caught an West-ward wind and traveled REALLY REALLY far in a Hot air balloon?
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »
A balloon traveling about the earth is a function of two velocities. These velocities are the rotational speed of the balloon when it was sent off and the dynamic velocity of the winds during the flight. The winds could be with or against the rotation of earth but in either case the winds velocities are small compared to rotational velocity and only result in the balloon moving a few miles. Not only was an answer to your question possible, it's essentially as simple as addition and subtraction.

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
How come nobody has ever caught an West-ward wind and traveled REALLY REALLY far in a Hot air balloon?

I'm not a "shill", but I can answer this by looking up a few things. You can, too, if you try.

Defining what you mean by "really, really far" would be helpful. FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) lists distance records for "Hot Air" balloons at http://www.fai.org/record-ballooning with multiple thoushands of km. Search on one of the larger Subclass 'AX' and 'Distance' as Search Type in their Ballooning Records search page above. They also provide altitude, duration, and fastest around the world records. No AX (Hot Air) around the world records were returned in the larger sizes - there probably are none at all.

Much greater distances are reported for some other of the Subclasses, including distances greater than the circumference of the Earth. I suspect that hot air balloons have more limited capabilities since they have to carry fuel to heat the air, and hot air probably has significantly less buoyancy than Helium, which limits the payload, which limits endurance. I don't know a lot about it, though, but this seems logical.

I don't know if any of these record holders went eastward or westward. Maybe you could inquire with FAI or research it on your own if you actually care.

You seem hung up on the notion that the Earth's atmosphere must be fixed in space while the Earth itself rotates under it, causing thousand-mile-per-hour easterly gales at the equator. This is wrong and has been discussed in numerous other threads already; why start a new one?

[Edit] omitted phrase from final paragraph about the notion being wrong.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:25:42 AM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »
Yes, I ended on on mars.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 10:23:00 AM »
iWitness: As you know, a good few globalists can answer your OP but only by using ludicrous answers.

Supposed intelligent wannabe scientists willingly accept atmosphere moving along with a solid Earth with winds moving opposite and also dense objects within that, all  move with the Earth.

When you ask how it is possible, they use the person inside the plane trick and use relative to this and that and yet they somehow can't see how backward this explanation is when thought about.

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
With the Wind blowing to the West, and the Earth Rotating to the East, why doesn't a Hot Air balloon travel 1000 miles or more to the West from the starting location near the equator in one hour?

You can't say the Atmosphere is moving with the Earth because the Wind is blowing West and the Air Balloon is moving with the Wind. If the Earth is rotating 1000 mph to the East, the ground should move 1000 miles or more in a single hour.

Obviously, 1000 miles is an approximation, but still..... there would be a considerable change in landscape no matter where you are on a Ball-shaped earth with 25,000 miles circumference spinning 1000 mph.

If you fly in airplane at 600 mph and blows a feather towards the back of the plane, how far/fast will the feather go?
I think, therefore I am

Jet Fission

• NASA shill
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
It's not just that the wind moves along with the Earth- it's that everything already does move along with the Earth, in rotation and in orbit.

We're all in a car, and we're not moving relative to that car. If you jump out, you will continue going that velocity (as long as the car isn't accelerating) until you hit the ground or are met with air resistance. Same thing with Earth. We are all rotating at about 1,000mph, and even when we get off the ground, we mostly retain the velocity we had on the ground. There are then very minute effects that occur over longer periods and distances, like the coriolis effect.
To a flat earth theorist, being a "skeptic" is to have confirmation bias.
Just because I'm a genius doesn't mean I know everything.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
Because it's moving with the wind, and the wind is only moving at a given speed in relation to the ground.

You can't say the Atmosphere is moving with the Earth because the Wind is blowing West and the Air Balloon is moving with the Wind.
If you walk west, would you say you are no longer moving with the ground?

Let's just say for example, the wind is blowing 20 mph to the West, how far should the Balloon go in one hour?
20 miles.

Hint: You can't
I did, and it was easy.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 01:15:04 PM »
This entire thing can be answered by saying that the atmosphere spins with the Earth.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 02:10:41 PM »
iWitness just disproved blenders. Believe it or not if you put water in a blender and turn it on, nothing happens.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
iWitness: As you know, a good few globalists can answer your OP but only by using ludicrous answers.

Supposed intelligent wannabe scientists willingly accept atmosphere moving along with a solid Earth with winds moving opposite and also dense objects within that, all  move with the Earth.

When you ask how it is possible, they use the person inside the plane trick and use relative to this and that and yet they somehow can't see how backward this explanation is when thought about.
Sceptimatic, you have once again proven that you can't understand basic logic.  You have just broken all previous records of nonsense with this post, which makes absolutely no sense because air that spins with the Earth doesn't also spin in the opposite direction of the Earth.  I have read this post about 20 times and I still can't make any sense of the logic used in it, do you care to elaborate?
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:30 PM »
iWitness just disproved blenders. Believe it or not if you put water in a blender and turn it on, nothing happens.

Best post 2014.  Seeing as it's near the end of the year this is quite a feat.  Kudos.

ausGeoff

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 06:34:14 AM »
Sceptimatic, you have once again proven that you can't understand basic logic.  You have just broken all previous records of nonsense with this post, which makes absolutely no sense because air that spins with the Earth doesn't also spin in the opposite direction of the Earth.  I have read this post about 20 times and I still can't make any sense of the logic used in it, do you care to elaborate?

LOL..... this is the reason that I've suspected for some time that  sceptimatic is nothing more than a very persistent troll, having a bloody good laugh at our expense.  I just can't accept that any (alleged) educated adult could be as totally ignorant of ALL the sciences as he appears to be.  Then again, maybe he's channeling Bozo the Clown?

And I'd lay money that any high school student would have vastly more knowledge of science than sceptimatic, and by that I don't mean to insult high school kids.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 03:53:25 PM »

I had a blender like that once.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »

The Earth is round. QED.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »

Best post 2014.  Seeing as it's near the end of the year this is quite a feat.  Kudos.
No, I just like destroying FE arguments simply.

Hope you upgraded to a blendtec.

The Earth is round. QED.
Yes, until iWitness's next stupid thread.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 07:37:37 PM »

Hope you upgraded to a blendtec.

I think we replaced it with a WaringTM. Whatever it was, it worked.

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 04:50:18 PM »
why doesn't a Hot Air balloon travel 1000 miles or more to the West from the starting location near the equator in one hour?

Inertia.
Cancel that, and it would.