Flat Earth Experiment Involving Red or Infrared Lasers (650 nm)

• 9 Replies
?

Jingle Jangle

• I breathe therefore I am
Flat Earth Experiment Involving Red or Infrared Lasers (650 nm)
« on: November 19, 2014, 04:48:08 PM »
Hey fellow FE'ers... I imagine an experiment involving infrared lasers being an effective form of determining the exact planar nature of the earth... 

1.  I take a pillar lined up with the ground at exactly 90 degrees using a plumb line protractor 5 feet in length...

- On that very pillar, a infrared or red laser tube is lined up precisely with ideally only .003 degrees of deviation...  (might need a microscope)

2.  After that, I assemble some transparent epoxy mixed with a very small amount of very fine aluminum powder and form it into a 5 in. x 5 in. 5 in. cube using a latex candle mold... 

3.  Traveling a mile or so, I place that cube opposite the laser on a pillar similarly aligned to the earth...  (The beach presents a wonderful idea)....

Why the red laser?  Red light at 650 nm being at such a long wavelength ignores refraction... Observe the red light from the sun which hits your eyes at sunset...  The Cube perfectly shows the laser as a holographic red line... This line gets compared to another thin line on the cube's surface (parallel to the top and bottom edges of the front face (microscope aligned ;) )  With that, one determines the direction of curvation...  The results should be consistent with plumb line experiments at the Tamarack mines...

An even better idea, is to use a type of radio frequency beam...  This cheap alternative involves the use of a substrate which fluoresces in the cube from radio wave excitation.  (no possibility of atmospheric refraction there especially at 3kV and a very low hertz)  ( i need to remember what exact substrate, I saw it somewhere before)..

Glass would give even additional transparency...  What do you think... Be free to perform this experiment yourselves...  Post results... Might take me a while though...  :(

?

Jingle Jangle

Re: Flat Earth Experiment Involving Red or Infrared Lasers (650 nm)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:12 PM »
For the cube that fluoresces in the presence of a radio frequency ray beam, just use transparent epoxy with bubbles of helium or neon (very cheap)... You can also use a thin walled glass cube with the gas on the inside...  A thin line should be visible of excited gas ions...

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:13 PM »
3.  Traveling a mile or so, I place that cube opposite the laser on a pillar similarly aligned to the earth...  (The beach presents a wonderful idea)....
If you get a hold of a laser that produces a small precise dot after a mile, let us know.

Why the red laser?  Red light at 650 nm being at such a long wavelength ignores refraction...
Source for this info?  I've read that is simply doesn't refract quite as much.

I am tempted though to take my spotting scope next time I'm up north and stop down at Puget Sound where I took the bridge pictures a while back.  I have a camera modded to shoot IR only, and it would be interesting to see if there's a noticeable difference in refraction between it and visible light and/or how much better it works through haze.

Observe the red light from the sun which hits your eyes at sunset...
That's scattering of light through an increased amount of air.  You're confusing it with refraction.

Be free to perform this experiment yourselves...  Post results... Might take me a while though...  :(
I might have trouble finding a laser like this myself.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:19:15 PM »
As far as the red sunlight goes, it still qualifies as atmospheric refraction...  Of course, it would deal more with (in modern physics) the movement of air through differential pressure of the vacuum of space and earth's atmosphere... 

Temperature changes the density of air molecules more or less in the same way... The more energy from heat the further apart they are...  The terms should be interchangeable...

At least the radio frequency beam setup with incredibly short wavelengths provides a cheaper, yet more effective solution...  That is why I mentioned it...  Just increase amperage and voltage to ensure electron arrival at target...  (more electron pressure, more Coulombs of electron buggers)...

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
An even better idea, is to use a type of radio frequency beam...  This cheap alternative involves the use of a substrate which fluoresces in the cube from radio wave excitation.  (no possibility of atmospheric refraction there especially at 3kV and a very low hertz)  ( i need to remember what exact substrate, I saw it somewhere before)..

Glass would give even additional transparency...  What do you think... Be free to perform this experiment yourselves...  Post results... Might take me a while though...  :(
This wouldn't work because the energy from the florescence would be lower than radio waves. Radio wave energy is already pretty low.

At least the radio frequency beam setup with incredibly short wavelengths provides a cheaper, yet more effective solution...  That is why I mentioned it...  Just increase amperage and voltage to ensure electron arrival at target...  (more electron pressure, more Coulombs of electron buggers)...
Radio frequency beam with incredibly short wavelength would no longer be in the radio band. I'll just point out all electromagnetic radiation is not radio waves.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:00:26 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »
Hmmmm...  Check out this article...  Radio Frequencies of high concentration possess the ability to ionize sufficiently...
http://www.google.com/patents/US8836219

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 07:07:44 PM »
Hmmmm...  Check out this article...  Radio Frequencies of high concentration possess the ability to ionize sufficiently...
http://www.google.com/patents/US8836219
Yes, if you microwave a light bulb, it will light up. This will not help you. Although I guess you could maybe count that as florescence.

I also meant to respond to this,
Quote from: Jingle Jangle
Electrons don't travel in EM waves. Unless you mean something else with "electron arrival".
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
As far as the red sunlight goes, it still qualifies as atmospheric refraction...  Of course, it would deal more with (in modern physics) the movement of air through differential pressure of the vacuum of space and earth's atmosphere... 

Temperature changes the density of air molecules more or less in the same way... The more energy from heat the further apart they are...  The terms should be interchangeable...
Are you saying 'Rayleigh scattering' and refraction are the same thing?  I've seen the moon both turn red and deform from refraction while watching it set from high altitude.

Well, let us know how that goes.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »
All refraction results in severe deformity... Indeed, the Novaya Zemaya (if I have it correct) which exists in the polar regions does show how the sun deforms as well...

However, note this important point...

Some pictures taken from a long distance away possess absolutely no deformities whatsoever, thus refraction holds no applicability...  The image needs to possess severe blurring in order to validate superior mirage phenomenon... Even then, they raise only a few arc seconds above the horizon...  Understand the conditions where these phenomena occur...  Outside of the polar regions, looming distortion manifest very minutely...

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »
I've done literally thousands of refractive propagation summaries for a variety of locations all over the earth. I've yet to come across one where no refraction was present.

Anyways, it matters not. You can just calculate the refractive index for any light and just go by that.