• 501 Replies
Re: Gravity = Air Pressure
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »
Air (Less Dense)
___

YOU (Denser)
___

Water (Densest)

Fun fact: the average density of a human being is 1.01kg/m3 which is denser than water!  Seawater is denser than humans, but not fresh water.

Next!
Surely you mean 1.01kg/dm3  ???  ??? Or 1.01t/m3  ???

I'm not quite willing to accept that an average person weighs just a tad over one kilogram per cubic meter ;)

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
Air (Less Dense)
___

YOU (Denser)
___

Water (Densest)

Fun fact: the average density of a human being is 1.01kg/m3 which is denser than water!  Seawater is denser than humans, but not fresh water.

Next!
Surely you mean 1.01kg/dm3  ???  ??? Or 1.01t/m3  ???

I'm not quite willing to accept that an average person weighs just a tad over one kilogram per cubic meter ;)

Bah!  I meant 1.01kg/L!  Apologies.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
The Schiellion experiment and the divergence of the plumb line being only 8 arc seconds (8/3600 of a degree) indicates the influence of a slight breeze or sunlight on one side of the wire...  The wire would certainly bend in either direction depending of the time of day...  We know this from metals ability to expand in heat and contract in cold...
Breeze yes, sunlight, no. I'm sure they shielded the plumb line.

Also, magnetic attraction of ore inside of the mountain could also be an explanation...  Trace amounts of iron create this effect...
Possible. The link I provided showed some other experiments that found the same results, mass causes gravitation, with different techniques.

Remember the so-called landing of that recent probe on a comet?  A gravitational pull was actually necessary for the project to be successful...  So, the mountain being about the same size as a comet should create a divergence of at least three degrees...  From what I understand, those figures were the original estimation...
Why three degrees? Do you realize opposite of the mountains there is land where as opposite of the comet there is space?

Quote:
"I make a living doing what sandokhan says is impossible."

It is my considered opinion that a  lot of us make a living doing what sandokhan says is impossible, using things that do not exist, which are based on studies by scientists and developed by engineers who are liars.....Also according to sceptimatic as well as sandokhan.
It's a reference to sandokhans looney idea of the structure of an atom and also his looney ideas of electromagnetic radiation.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 03:33:56 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

ausGeoff

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
It is something beyond gravity... Gravity by itself cannot explain how all the air still remains on the planet.
Yes it can.  Air has mass.  The earth—like all other bodies—exerts an attractive force upon other bodies.  Therefore the atmosphere, just like snails and cars and humans "stick" to the earth's surface.

It is an intelligent force is what I am saying...  A conscious living force that allows air to stay on the planet...  It is beyond just explanations of air pressure...
Only one of your assertions is true.  It is beyond the "explanation" of air pressure;  it has nothing at all to do with air pressure—which operates equally in all directions on the human body.

There is no "intelligent" force in operation.  Forces do not possess intelligence—that's the realm of living creatures (at the very least).

If you insist on crediting the effects of what science calls gravity on some "intelligent life force" can you please cite references that support this claim?  Or, even better, define how you think that life force came into existence, what caused it, and why it operates as you claim it does?

?

Goth

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
It is something beyond gravity... Gravity by itself cannot explain how all the air still remains on the planet.
Yes it can.  Air has mass.  The earth—like all other bodies—exerts an attractive force upon other bodies.  Therefore the atmosphere, just like snails and cars and humans "stick" to the earth's surface.

It is an intelligent force is what I am saying...  A conscious living force that allows air to stay on the planet...  It is beyond just explanations of air pressure...
Only one of your assertions is true.  It is beyond the "explanation" of air pressure;  it has nothing at all to do with air pressure—which operates equally in all directions on the human body.

There is no "intelligent" force in operation.  Forces do not possess intelligence—that's the realm of living creatures (at the very least).

If you insist on crediting the effects of what science calls gravity on some "intelligent life force" can you please cite references that support this claim?  Or, even better, define how you think that life force came into existence, what caused it, and why it operates as you claim it does?

Maybe it's time to go back to school

Professor Eric Verlinde, 48, a respected string theorist and a professor of physics at the Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of Amsterdam, proposed a new theory of gravity as reported by the New York Times on July 12, 2010. He argued in a paper, titled “On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton” that gravity is a consequence of the laws of thermodynamics.

“For me, gravity doesn’t exist,” Dr. Verlinde told the Times. Of course, the apple will fall to the ground, but the physical laws governing that action may not be the way science has viewed it for the past 300 years.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:57:11 AM by Goth »

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2014, 08:10:53 AM »

Professor Eric Verlinde, 48, a respected string theorist and a professor of physics at the Institute of Theoretical Physics at the University of Amsterdam, proposed a new theory of gravity as reported by the New York Times on July 12, 2010. He argued in a paper, titled “On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton” that gravity is a consequence of the laws of thermodynamics.

“For me, gravity doesn’t exist,” Dr. Verlinde told the Times. Of course, the apple will fall to the ground, but the physical laws governing that action may not be the way science has viewed it for the past 300 years.

Eric Verlinde believes in entropic gravity, which still is not an "intelligent life force".

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2014, 08:12:41 AM »

Interesting. I'm pleased you found this.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »
Siphoning disproves gravity.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »

No, it just proves that gravity is a weak force. By the way this idea of entropic gravity isn't an alternative to gravity, its just a possible explanation for its cause.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »
Vacuum chambers disprove denpressure.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:11 AM »
No they don't. A vacuum chamber still has pressure inside of it, no matter how small.
Try again.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
No they don't. A vacuum chamber still has pressure inside of it, no matter how small.
Try again.

Wow, he didn't say it doesn't have pressure in it. He said it disproves your fantasy.

?

guv

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2014, 10:28:34 AM »
Try again septic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon

Try thinking a bit, unless it hurts.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
Try again septic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siphon

Try thinking a bit, unless it hurts.
Reading that would hurt. I saw the word 'gravity' and immediately knew that you studied the word and so it came to pass.

ausGeoff

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »

And maybe it's time you learned some basic English comprehension...

Verlinde merely "proposed" a "new" theory.  He said the way science views gravity "may" not be the correct one.

Hardly a resounding proof that gravity doesn't exist—as the flat earthers claim.  Verlinde also failed to mention the alleged "upwards" motion of the planet.  I wonder why LOL.  Maybe he thinks that earth is actually spherical?

Doncha just lurve it when flat earthers cite researchers who largely disprove their own flat earth theories?    ;D

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2014, 12:32:12 PM »

Interesting. I'm pleased you found this.
It's coming from a man who is a professor in a university, scientist, quantum theorist no less, how can you even consider anything he says to have any value? Oh yes it superficially rhymes with what you want to believe. Quite a cloak turn from you.

edit, fixed quote
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:37:58 PM by neimoka »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »
How does it do that?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2014, 02:08:31 PM »
A vacuum chamber still has pressure inside of it, no matter how small. Try again.
I think sceptimatic should be the one to "try again". 

Therefore... considering the video of the ball and feathers I posted HERE...

The vacuum chamber has a capacity of 800,000ft3 and the mass of the air contained within was 2g during the experiment.

So, can any flat earther tell me what "pressure" is exerted on the internal walls of the chamber—knowing the mass of air within, and the chamber's capacity?  I'm betting—no, guaranteeing—that sceptimatic for one would have zero chance of figuring this out, despite his claims of being a world-renowned research scientist. 

—I'll await for any responses, along with calculations, with bated breath.

PS:  And yes;  of course it's a trick question.    ;)

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »
Try again.

Wow, he didn't say it doesn't have pressure in it. He said it disproves your fantasy.
Any ridged closed container disproves denpressure.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2014, 03:52:33 PM »
Try again.

Can you cite any measurement that anyone has every made that shows that a vacuum chamber has pressure inside it?
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
*Sigh*  Forget about room sized vacuum chambers.  The simplest vacuum chamber is in a mercury barometer.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2014, 06:21:58 PM »
*Sigh*  Forget about room sized vacuum chambers.  The simplest vacuum chamber is in a mercury barometer.

Good example.  The space above the mercury is probably the simplest way to easily create a near-perfect vacuum.  I guess there'd be one or two stray diatomic molecules of N2 and O2 floating around, plus a few molecules of CO2 and H2O, but nothing to upset the basic vacuum principle.  I guess we'll now await sceptimatic's demolition of this setup LOL.

?

guv

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
septic a hot air balloon has the same pressure inside and out. Are they some sort of RE magic?.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2014, 09:18:15 PM »
septic a hot air balloon has the same pressure inside and out. Are they some sort of RE magic?.
No remember, objects move to higher pressure from lower pressure. When strong wind blows in your face it makes you fly forward into it.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 02:46:02 AM »
No remember, objects move to higher pressure from lower pressure. When strong wind blows in your face it makes you fly forward into it.

AW! Now I realise why I don't do very well in sailing races. My sails are inside out, or upside down, or something!
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 02:53:55 AM »

It's not a vacuum. It's a low pressure area with the use of mercury as a dense liquid metal that can keep that low pressure constant that allows the change in air pressure to raise it against that low pressure without much resistance, meaning the mercury can squash the more expanded molecules inside that area quite easily...enough to give us readings.
That's all it is.
No true vacuum is possible on Earth and anyone who thinks that the void left in that barometer is simply just free molecules/matter just bobbing about, will never understand the reality of it all.

I'm tempted to draw a diagram but it'll take too long and will be discarded as usual, so it's about using your mind to think.
I'm not saying this directly to you, markjo, I'm saying it to everyone who possesses the ability to think alternative to the bullshit they've been fed.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 02:55:26 AM »
Care to expand (pardon the pun) on this?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2014, 02:56:22 AM »
It would pay you to actually pay attention to what's been said, then you won't come out with this crap.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2014, 02:57:22 AM »

AW! Now I realise why I don't do very well in sailing races. My sails are inside out, or upside down, or something!
Well, just like a rocket in space, you could try blowing your own sail and see how far you get. Try it.  ;D

ausGeoff

« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
It's not a vacuum.
Yes it is.  I'm sure Dumbo posts this sort of rubbish just to stir the pot LOL.  Nobody could be this scientifically unaware of basic principles surely.  Or could they?

It's a low pressure area with the use of mercury as a dense liquid metal that can keep that low pressure constant that allows the change in air pressure to raise it against that low pressure without much resistance, meaning the mercury can squash the more expanded molecules inside that area quite easily...enough to give us readings
Again, this is nothing more than nonsensical gibberish.  It doesn't even qualify as "pseudoscience"—and even the most ardent flat earthers will agree with this.

That's all it is.
LOL... this sort of comment is typical of how simply Dumbo (allegedly) invalidates centuries-worth of complicated scientific research and theories by producing some bizarre alternative from his dream-factory.

No true vacuum is possible on Earth and anyone who thinks that the void left in that barometer is simply just free molecules/matter just bobbing about, will never understand the reality of it all.
It's also hard to believe that Dumbo is incapable of comprehending even the simple principles of the mercury barometer—invented 400 years ago—and used to this day.

I'm tempted to draw a diagram but it'll take too long and will be discarded as usual...
This of course is Dumbo's standard "reasoning" for never drawing any diagrams;  he 's too busy (despite posting dozens of comments every day LOL) or his diagram will be laughed out of the debate.  The latter indicates that he lacks the courage of his convictions, which is a more than frequent occurrence whenever he's backed into a corner on these forums.  Earlier this year, he provided a rough sketch of his proposal for a working flat earth map, and which he promised to post in its fully developed form later on.  Did that ever happen?  Of course not—and it never will.  The guy is so full of hot air he could go into the sightseeing balloons tourist industry.

...so it's about using your mind to think.
Which is an odd thing to say, coming as it does from somebody who never follows their own advice.    ;D