Have you ever seen the sunset from the ISS?

• 147 Replies
Re: Have you ever seen the sunset from the ISS?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2014, 03:19:57 AM »
Anyway, there is no point to argue about this.
I'm glad you realize this. Though one has to wonder why you started arguing about it in the first place.

-edit -fixed quote
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:36:27 AM by neimoka »

ausGeoff

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2014, 03:42:22 AM »
https://vine.co/v/OizBFHvejM1

Doesn't fade away for sure, and there's definitely no air in the way

Thanks for posting this video.  It's irrefutable proof of exactly how "round earth" science has posited for centuries that the mechanics of the solar system work.  There's nothing at all anomalous with what we actually see on this time-lapse video and what astrophysical theory tells us.

Of course—and more than predictably—the only response from the flat earthers is fake! fake! fake!  Why am I not surprised at this LOL.

The fake, or CGI claim is apparently the last resort of desperate flat earthers who can see an ever-increasing amount of empirical evidence mounting up which totally destroys their belief in a flat earth.  Not one of them is able to provide a single iota of technical inconsistency in this particular footage, other than—of course—wild guesses and misrepresentation.

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »

How is the Earth in that photo similar in any way to what is visible from the ISS?
The Blue Marble was shot from 45,000 km away and the ISS is 330 km away - 136 times the distance.  If they looked the same it would good evidence of fakery.

Not even the colors are similar.
Colours in photos depend on lots of things - filters, processing etc.

So from a bigger distance you actually see more details? You can even see the jungles, you can see the deserts, but from the ISS you can't see it because it is too close? Also from the ISS you have clouds over the continents pretty much 24/7 according to the live stream, but when you go far away the clouds mysteriously disappear and you can take photo of the surface. Great logic indeed!

There are so many factors to consider here it is absurd to compare the ISS video to the "blue marble" as you call it. The lighting, the technology and depth of field all come into consideration here when analyzing these images. You cannot be to quick to dismiss something without considering ALL other scientific data, not just by what you see. The FES claims that round earthers are easily fooled or "indoctrinated" yet fail to apply their own logic when looking at images.

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
Oh hey, I went to peek a at the stream and got California. These streams are pretty cool actually, seeing the current weather patterns from another perspective in real time to name one thing. So thanks I guess?

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 01:13:17 PM »
and galapagos

You spent how long looking at this without seeing anything at all?

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2014, 02:44:55 PM »
and galapagos

I shouldn't have believed you in the first place. You guys are liars. There is no continental outlines seen in the live feed from here: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/
You must have doctored the images or you're using another link which is of course fake. It looks fake, so it is fake. Occam's razor! What is easier to go to space or to fake it? It is not possible to go to space get over it !

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
prove this is not animation.
Why don't you prove it is an animation?

There must be loads of CGI experts out there - surely they can spot such an obvious fraud if you can?  Can't you recruit one to your cause?

By the way, even if it is not CGI or animation, it is still not guaranteed it is taken from space. It could be shot in a studio. Anyway, there is no point to argue about this.

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark and guess that you've never seen the ISS pass over your head.

Magic. That's what billions of dollars will buy you is magic. Something will magically fly over your head if you see on the ISS Tracker that the ISS is flying over your area. Especially easy to see not long after dusk or before sunrise because the ISS is high enough to still be lit up by the sun while you're in the dark.

Anyway, there's no way it's REALLy the ISS. They simply animate the CGI or film in a Hollywood studio clouds, coastline, water and all that stuff.  It's just with magic that they can fly some hunk of metal way out in the sky and sync it all up nicely.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »
and galapagos

I shouldn't have believed you in the first place. You guys are liars. There is no continental outlines seen in the live feed from here: http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/
You must have doctored the images or you're using another link which is of course fake. It looks fake, so it is fake. Occam's razor! What is easier to go to space or to fake it? It is not possible to go to space get over it !

Wtf, man? Are you watching the tracker on the right too? To see if it's over something called the Pacific Ocean?? It's approaching South America right now so get ready.

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
Okay... the camera wasn't loaded or something... I'll check back in a bit

And now the long wait as it flies over the Pacific...

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:03:05 PM by FlatOrange »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2014, 08:04:18 PM »
Occam's razor! What is easier to go to space or to fake it? It is not possible to go to space get over it !
That isn't how Occam's Razor works.  Just because you say that faking it is easier than going space, that does not prove, or even remotely suggest, that going to space is impossible.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2014, 08:16:58 PM »
Occam's razor! What is easier to go to space or to fake it? It is not possible to go to space get over it !
That isn't how Occam's Razor works.  Just because you say that faking it is easier than going space, that does not prove, or even remotely suggest, that going to space is impossible.
... or that faking it is actually easier than actually going.

[Edit] clarification.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:20:27 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:39 PM »
There's the moon setting about 10 minutes ago.

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »

I would like to know what link you're using, as apparently it is not the one that I posted here.

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 01:23:22 AM »
You do realize that if you see a post here with a screenie and go check out the stream, the view will have changed in the mean time, right??

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:05 AM »
and galapagos

You started well here, but now you  are losing the debate you are just reduced to scepti style rants calling everyone liars.   :'(
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2014, 02:32:48 AM »
and galapagos

You started well here, but now you  are losing the debate you are just reduced to scepti style rants calling everyone liars.   :'(

Well, of course, I would do that when the photos are not from the same source. When there is no proof the photos are from space. When you don't  have any reference to compare them with the real thing.

As for the Occam's razor, that is exactly the definition! The principle states that among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Which hypothesis requires the fewer assumptions to be made? Flat Earth or Round Earth?

Let's see:
Flat Earth - you don't need to assume anything, it is what you see. The surface is generally flat. You don't need to make assumptions about its size in order to accept it as flat. You don't need to measure the distance to the Sun. The sun is a light ball above the surface. That is what you see. You don't need to assume its distance or anything as it is simply light!!! There is no indication it is a real solid body somewhere in space, to measure its mass, size, distance and so on. Same is valid for the Moon. If you really believe the Moon is 238857 miles, you are making a lot of assumptions. You're definitely not taking what you see at face value. Why exactly are you doing that? Because without making your crazy assumptions the Earth would be anything but round!

Round Earth- you have to assume it is round, even though it appears flat, you have to assume it spins around its axis with a speed of 1040 miles/hr. You also have to assume it orbits the Sun with 67108 miles/hr. You assume the Sun is 93205678 miles away. You assume the closest star is 4.24 light years away. You assume the sun is 109 bigger than the Earth's diameter. You assume the universe is practically infinite. Come on, should I continue? Where is the Occam's razor in that???
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:34:34 AM by Saros »

« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 03:18:27 AM »
Fe requires the assumption that there's a global conspiracy involving pretty much every nation, university and researcher etc. In case you didn't notice, that's a rather big assumption. And it's not the only one.

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »
Fe requires the assumption that there's a global conspiracy involving pretty much every nation, university and researcher etc. In case you didn't notice, that's a rather big assumption. And it's not the only one.

This is after the fact. Before they accepted RE, that conspiracy didn't exist.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:32:54 AM by Saros »

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 03:30:53 AM »

Why do you say that like there was actual evidence for such a conspiracy? You made more sense when you were just calling everyone a liar.

« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 03:32:26 AM »

Why do you say that like there was actual evidence for such a conspiracy? You made more sense when you were just calling everyone a liar.

By the way, your point is irrelevant as most people including professors don't even care if it is flat or not. They only care about their paychecks. The so-called science is based on memorization of 'known' facts. You memorize the concepts, you get ahead in your career. You challenge the status quo, you get fired and you don't have a job. Pretty easy conspiracy to maintain.

« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2014, 03:40:03 AM »
What's with the irrelevant rambling? Oh right, that's the noise you make when you lose an argument.

If you want your ridiculous occam's razor "proof" destroyed in greater length that can be arranged as well. Maybe come up with a response to a so far unanswered thread I started in debate section for starters.

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2014, 05:18:22 AM »
I had hopes Saros might be someone interesting to debate.  Turns out he's just another idiot conspiracy theorist.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

ausGeoff

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2014, 07:36:53 AM »
I shouldn't have believed you in the first place. You guys are liars. There is no continental outlines seen in the live feed from here...

Despite totally misinterpreting Occam's Razor (nice try LOL) you've relied completely on your argument for the bits I've bolded.

Hardly comprise unequivocal, factual evidence do they?

;D    ;D    ;D

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag167/jeffro556/issmoon_zpsab1cc91e.png

I would like to know what link you're using, as apparently it is not the one that I posted here.
I cropped it to show just the video feed shot.  Is that what is confusing you? 
*I now see they do change cameras for different angles now and then.

Here it is copied and pasted from my address bar while I'm watching.  http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Let's compare to what you posted.
Have you checked the live feed? http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:56:47 AM by 29silhouette »

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »
By the way, your point is irrelevant as most people including professors don't even care if it is flat or not. They only care about their paychecks. The so-called science is based on memorization of 'known' facts. You memorize the concepts, you get ahead in your career. You challenge the status quo, you get fired and you don't have a job. Pretty easy conspiracy to maintain.
This is utter horseshit. You obviously don't know any real scientists if you believe this. Scientists in academia and in industry get ahead by conducting research and finding answers to problems - not by regurgitating "known facts". What would be the value to an employer for this?

Unfortunately, far too often, especially at the secondary-school level (pre-college), science is taught as rote memorization of "facts", which is why so many students find it dry and uninteresting. When taught well, it is not only fun to learn, but gives people the tools to understand the world and spot the flaws and misinformation in publications such as Rowbotham's.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2014, 08:17:48 PM »
This is utter horseshit. You obviously don't know any real scientists if you believe this. Scientists in academia and in industry get ahead by conducting research and finding answers to problems - not by regurgitating "known facts". What would be the value to an employer for this?

Unfortunately, far too often, especially at the secondary-school level (pre-college), science is taught as rote memorization of "facts", which is why so many students find it dry and uninteresting. When taught well, it is not only fun to learn, but gives people the tools to understand the world and spot the flaws and misinformation in publications such as Rowbotham's.

His attitude towards science and scientists probably explains why Saros works as a part-time cleaner at Walmart.    ;D

Although he'll no doubt come back to us with claims of thirteen academic qualifications..... just like..... uh..... that bloke who writes all those books and travels the world as a research scientist. 

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »

what does the inclusion of a small part of the 'iss' within the frame achieve?

could, and should, it be there? should it be there, or should it be removed, in regards to future and ongoing footage?

does it serve any practical or artistic purpose?

would, or should, a photographer whose subject is the sea include a relative (to size, position, possible practical and artistic benefits) section of the vessel upon which they, or the camera, was travelling over said sea?

do aerial photographs/ers devote a similar amount of frame space to the plane from which the images are taken?

in advance of any replies along the lines of 'the camera cannot be moved, so its view cannot be changed', it is not the possibility of adjustment that is in question. even if i believed there was no way to move such a device, that it would be installed minus some remote (even wired, ha) control, which i do not, then the altering of what is in the frame by changing the amount of the total shown remains.

so, the contents of the frame are satisfactory to those who are producing/distributing them, for the purposes of my previous questions.

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2014, 11:00:41 PM »
Because why not?

could, and should, it be there? should it be there, or should it be removed, in regards to future and ongoing footage?
If it couldn't, then it wouldn't.  Should it?  What do you think?

Eye of the beholder I suppose.

would, or should, a photographer whose subject is the sea include a relative (to size, position, possible practical and artistic benefits) section of the vessel upon which they, or the camera, was travelling over said sea?
If they felt they should, then they would.

do aerial photographs/ers devote a similar amount of frame space to the plane from which the images are taken?
Some do.

in advance of any replies along the lines of 'the camera cannot be moved, so its view cannot be changed', it is not the possibility of adjustment that is in question. even if i believed there was no way to move such a device, that it would be installed minus some remote (even wired, ha) control, which i do not, then the altering of what is in the frame by changing the amount of the total shown remains.

so, the contents of the frame are satisfactory to those who are producing/distributing them, for the purposes of my previous questions.
I'm glad we had this discussion.

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2014, 11:05:50 PM »

I suggest downloading a 3D model of the ISS, like the one you'd find here and then when opened in a 3D modeling program like Blender or SketchUp, position the camera how they did and try to figure out why they did. Perhaps there's a large obstruction immediately out of frame on the left.

RESEARCH! EXPLORE! LIVE, DAMMIT!

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2014, 12:05:32 AM »
abysmal, utterly.

the reaction to questions like an eager child, to formulate some answer, any answer, quickly and regardless of relevance or value results in such dross.

and the portion of my musings that could be addressed by some buccaneering, website adventure style learning, is only a small part of the total number that need pondering.

some require logical thought, others independent opinion forming.

these are difficult, but not impossible, to find wiki pages to link to.

it is in HD, so the camera cant be original spec. it was supposedly fitted to give better imaging ability(HD), surely it would not be situated in such a way that large obstructions surround much of its field of view?

of course, this spinning, while falling, while flying, while orbiting is not without its tumbling and turning so who knows what which way up or around things will be on the next lap of the ongoing 17k km/h (170k, km/s, ?) super-massive prat-fall.

thing is, it seems the odds or the gods are against them, and some pesky obstruction gets in the way and is probably responsible for the optical focusing/contrast levels/black level issues that omit stars, all other satellites, human origin functional and defunct. no giant telescopes or anything. no stars. no stars.

did they have stars in the film, gravity? its good to remember that the identifying factors of real, really real space film are an absence of detail and uniform inclusion of context-less, yet relentlessly context setting, small part of the contraption that is supporting the camera/space-man with camera;

but of course faking weightlessness is not possible, so bullock and clooney must have been on location, in space, on a space ship. if not for all the need-to-know secrecy such a humanity defining heroic undertaking of pioneer-ism and daring bravery deserves and needs, they could have arranged to share the better camera.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:09:54 AM by RuSpinningAround? »