Have you ever seen the sunset from the ISS?

• 147 Replies
Have you ever seen the sunset from the ISS?
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
https://vine.co/v/OizBFHvejM1

Doesn't fade away for sure, and there's definitely no air in the way
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 10:25:05 AM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Re: Have you ever seen the sunset from the ISS?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

It is easy to spot that the so-called videos from ISS are fake. Have you checked the live feed? http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/
What you see is either total blackness or clouds and oceans, not even any continental outlines. It is an HD camera, and it can give you only that? I actually wonder how it is useful to have it up there at all. What is the point when you can't see anything? Why don't they ever show 24/7 live feed from space where you can actually see something familiar and recognizable? Also, how come when the astronauts take a picture you can see continents, but from the live HD camera you see nothing?

Another clue from your link that suggests it is fake are the weird irregular shadows on the Earth's surface. The Earth should be uniformly lit by the Sun on the day side, and what we see is some brighter and darker areas.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

It is easy to spot that the so-called videos from ISS are fake. Have you checked the live feed? http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/
What you see is either total blackness or clouds and oceans, not even any continental outlines. It is an HD camera, and it can give you only that? I actually wonder how it is useful to have it up there at all. What is the point when you can't see anything? Why don't they ever show 24/7 live feed from space where you can actually see something familiar and recognizable? Also, how come when the astronauts take a picture you can see continents, but from the live HD camera you see nothing?

Another clue from your link that suggests it is fake are the weird irregular shadows on the Earth's surface. The Earth should be uniformly lit by the Sun on the day side, and what we see is some brighter and darker areas.

Saros, please! flatorange doesn't want any comments like that. You're not supposed to think about the video.

If you insist on responding thoughtfully like that, may I suggest you go to theflatearthsociety.org forum and not here, theflatearthsociety.org forum.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 12:22:43 PM »
I believe the darker and lighter areas are usually known as "night" and "day"

I'm seeing continental outlines on the live stream right now.

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:31:59 PM »

Saros, please! flatorange doesn't want any comments like that. You're not supposed to think about the video.

If you insist on responding thoughtfully like that, may I suggest you go to theflatearthsociety.org forum and not here, theflatearthsociety.org forum.

What exactly are you saying? I should go to theflatearthsociety.org forum? This is theflatearthsociety.org forum :)

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 01:36:47 PM »

Oh yeah? Really? Interestingly enough, there is no live feed right now, so you can't be seeing any outlines even if they were visible! By the way, if you ever really see continental outlines in the HD live stream, please prove it by taking a screenshot. I have been watching it forever, and it is always the same clouds and blueness. Additionally, it looks very different than the link posted by OP, supposedly showing the same Earth. Also the Sun is not bright enough at all, they must be using a filter, right?

You obviously never clicked on the link provided by OP, and you never read what I said in the first place.
I said this "The Earth should be uniformly lit by the Sun on the day side, and what we see is some brighter and darker areas."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:57:59 PM by Saros »

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »

What exactly are you saying? I should go to theflatearthsociety.org forum? This is theflatearthsociety.org forum :)

I was just kidding, buddy. Nice observation on the clip. Prepare for the onslaught, or not, depending on how our resident believers are feeling.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 02:04:43 PM »

Oh yeah? Really? Interestingly enough, there is no live feed right now,
There is, I'm just watching it.  Was it down or something?  I can see what looks like land masses.

What makes you think you should be able to make out continental outlines clearly anyway?

If everything that comes from NASA is fake, then they must have the biggest and best special effects / CGI team that ever existed.  Why do you think they can't do "continental outlines"?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:16 PM »

I was just kidding, buddy. Nice observation on the clip. Prepare for the onslaught, or not, depending on how our resident believers are feeling.

Thanks. I am totally puzzled how anyone reasonable can buy into this fake footage from space. I believe they are pretending for the sake of the argument.If you want to get an honest answer regarding the authenticity of the live stream, show it to someone who is not interested in the topic without telling them it is from NASA. Just show it to them and ask if they think it is CGI or video camera. Even kids would tell you it is animation.

Another famous fake is the so-called "Blue Marble" photo made by Apollo 17 crew in 1972. 

How is the Earth in that photo similar in any way to what is visible from the ISS? Not even the colors are similar. Somehow with the increased distance from the Earth, the continental outlines became clearly visible and the atmosphere less prominent? I forgot, the answer is that in 1972 they had better cameras, maybe X-ray, and the Earth had a less dense atmosphere  :o

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 02:25:38 PM »

There is, I'm just watching it.  Was it down or something?  I can see what looks like land masses.

What makes you think you should be able to make out continental outlines clearly anyway?

If everything that comes from NASA is fake, then they must have the biggest and best special effects / CGI team that ever existed.  Why do you think they can't do "continental outlines"?

What was the purpose of your reply? You said you can see the continental outlines. Then you're asking what makes me think they should be visible? Can you see them or not? Haven't you ever asked yourself the question how the astronauts take photos of the continents but in the live stream nothing is discernible? How come when the ISS is on the night side in the live stream it is completely black, but the astronauts manage to take pictures of city lights over whole continents? You would say they use better cameras right? How about the atmosphere and the clouds? They probably disappear? Why don't they show us a live stream with the Moon from the ISS? I would love to see how they will fake that.

Obviously, NASA doesn't have the best special effects and they are very stingy, otherwise you won't be seeing this garbage.
They don't want to spend so much money on quality CGI, and they only give you this, and apparently it is enough for most people.  The movie "GRAVITY" has much more expensive imagery than the one provided by NASA. As for the continental outlines, please be honest, and don't make up stuff. I have been watching it for a long time. If you see them take a screen shot to prove it.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 02:32:47 PM »

Oh yeah? Really? Interestingly enough, there is no live feed right now, so you can't be seeing any outlines even if they were visible! By the way, if you ever really see continental outlines in the HD live stream, please prove it by taking a screenshot. I have been watching it forever, and it is always the same clouds and blueness. Additionally, it looks very different than the link posted by OP, supposedly showing the same Earth. Also the Sun is not bright enough at all, they must be using a filter, right?

You obviously never clicked on the link provided by OP, and you never read what I said in the first place.
I said this "The Earth should be uniformly lit by the Sun on the day side, and what we see is some brighter and darker areas."
Stream was up when I posted, iss abt above middle america. Stream is up right now, apparently above ocean at night so not much to see. Too bad if it was down while you looked.

There's more to cameras and lenses than "filters". Try it sometime.

In the posted clip that I watched there was a distinct night zone and daylight zone, a twilight zone in between plus a brighter reflection off the ocean below the sun in the frame, as expected. You obviously never understood what you watched in the first place.

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »

What was the purpose of your reply? You said you can see the continental outlines. Then you're asking what makes me think they should be visible? Can you see them or not? Haven't you ever asked yourself the question how the astronauts take photos of the continents but in the live stream nothing is discernible? How come when the ISS is on the night side in the live stream it is completely black, but the astronauts manage to take pictures of city lights over whole continents? You would say they use better cameras right? How about the atmosphere and the clouds? They probably disappear? Why don't they show us a live stream with the Moon from the ISS? I would love to see how they will fake that.

Obviously, NASA doesn't have the best special effects and they are very stingy, otherwise you won't be seeing this garbage.
They don't want to spend so much money on quality CGI, and they only give you this, and apparently it is enough for most people.  The movie "GRAVITY" has much more expensive imagery than the one provided by NASA. As for the continental outlines, please be honest, and don't make up stuff. I have been watching it for a long time. If you see them take a screen shot to prove it.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »

I don't know what to say to your attempt to refute my remarks. I know the live stream was up, but there were no continental outlines. You can lie as much as you want, but without a screenshot your word is worth nothing. I am also watching it you know!
About the Moon, apparently you can't read, as I said live stream of the Moon, why are you posting a still? What are you trying to show? Do you get paid by someone or you're simply that much confused?

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 02:47:10 PM »

What was the purpose of your reply? You said you can see the continental outlines.
No, I did not - read it again.

Then you're asking what makes me think they should be visible?
I'm interested in your answer.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »

How is the Earth in that photo similar in any way to what is visible from the ISS?
The Blue Marble was shot from 45,000 km away and the ISS is 330 km away - 136 times the distance.  If they looked the same it would good evidence of fakery.

Not even the colors are similar.
Colours in photos depend on lots of things - filters, processing etc.

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
I don't know what to say to your attempt to refute my remarks. I know the live stream was up, but there were no continental outlines. You can lie as much as you want, but without a screenshot your word is worth nothing. I am also watching it you know!
About the Moon, apparently you can't read, as I said live stream of the Moon, why are you posting a still? What are you trying to show? Do you get paid by someone or you're simply that much confused?
And there comes the butthurt name calling.

If you want to see continental outlines perhaps you should watch when the iss is about to move over a continent.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »

What was the purpose of your reply? You said you can see the continental outlines.
No, I did not - read it again.

Then you're asking what makes me think they should be visible?
I'm interested in your answer.

You said you can see what looks like land masses. How do you see the land masses without seeing their outlines? Are they transparent?

Well, they should be visible according to NASA. They provided lots of photos of continental outlines, city lights and so on supposedly taken from the ISS. Once again, what is the point of having this HD live stream if it is not showing anything but clouds and something that looks like water.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »

How is the Earth in that photo similar in any way to what is visible from the ISS?
The Blue Marble was shot from 45,000 km away and the ISS is 330 km away - 136 times the distance.  If they looked the same it would good evidence of fakery.

Colours in photos depend on lots of things - filters, processing etc.

So from a bigger distance you actually see more details? You can even see the jungles, you can see the deserts, but from the ISS you can't see it because it is too close? Also from the ISS you have clouds over the continents pretty much 24/7 according to the live stream, but when you go far away the clouds mysteriously disappear and you can take photo of the surface. Great logic indeed!

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 03:12:57 PM »
over bering sea minutes ago

http://s12.postimg.org/ndcupwtul/Screenshot_from_2014_11_10_01_04_59.png

First of all, I gave you the link http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Secondly, I don't see any continents in the photo you provided. Nice try.

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »

There is no "try" involved here. First of all, that's a frame from iss live stream. Not from the stream you love the most? boohoo.

Secondly, If you expect to see "continents" from 400km distance, you're not going to. Look for the coast lines. Here, I'll highlight it for you. Granted, not the clearest image, i've seen better on the stream.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

There is no "try" involved here. First of all, that's a frame from iss live stream. Not from the stream you love the most? boohoo.

Secondly, If you expect to see "continents" from 400km distance, you're not going to. Look for the coast lines. Here, I'll highlight it for you. Granted, not the clearest image, i've seen better on the stream.

OK, so you're saying the link I gave you is not from the ISS? Have you opened it at all? It is actually the only HD live stream from the ISS. What other HD live stream are you using? The 'coast lines' in your photo are just in your imagination. It is good you admit it's not the clearest image.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »

OK, so you're saying the link I gave you is not from the ISS? Have you opened it at all? It is actually the only HD live stream from the ISS. What other HD live stream are you using? The 'coast lines' in your photo are just in your imagination. It is good you admit it's not the clearest image.
Where have I said that the stream you linked to was not from the ISS? Where have I said that the image I put up is from HD live stream? The coast line I pointed out is very real, it exists at the threshold of ocean and land mass in case the definition was unclear to you. Nice that we agree on that it's not the clearest image.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2014, 06:07:28 PM »
What you see is either total blackness or clouds and oceans, not even any continental outlines. It is an HD camera, and it can give you only that? I actually wonder how it is useful to have it up there at all. What is the point when you can't see anything?
Umm...  Do you understand how exposure works in photography?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »

Colours in photos depend on lots of things - filters, processing, cgi etc.
Ftfy
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 11:13:14 PM »
Really trying to refrain from saying anything condescending right now

Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »

Great job! Thank you. You provided a photo of continental outlines. Next step: prove this is not animation.

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 02:15:13 AM »

Great job! Thank you. You provided a photo of continental outlines. Next step: prove this is not animation.
That you "can't see continents" was your argument for the stream being fake. You're moving the goal post. Your understanding of burden of proof seems to be about as solid as your understanding of photography.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 02:52:58 AM »
prove this is not animation.
Why don't you prove it is an animation?

There must be loads of CGI experts out there - surely they can spot such an obvious fraud if you can?  Can't you recruit one to your cause?

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:30 AM »
prove this is not animation.
Why don't you prove it is an animation?

There must be loads of CGI experts out there - surely they can spot such an obvious fraud if you can?  Can't you recruit one to your cause?

By the way, even if it is not CGI or animation, it is still not guaranteed it is taken from space. It could be shot in a studio. Anyway, there is no point to argue about this.