Satellites and the Internet ?

• 405 Replies
?

robintex

• Ranters
Satellites and the Internet ?
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
I suppose fe will counter this with the explanation the reason that ausGeoff or anyone in any part of the earth can post on this website on the internet is because of those invisible ballooon stratellites ?

http://www.lamit.ro/satellite-coverage-maps.htm
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

guv

Re: Satellites and the Internet ?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
Now I can see why some people are worried about the world running out of helium.That would take just a few balloons.

ausGeoff

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 04:42:39 AM »
I suppose fe will counter this with the explanation the reason that ausGeoff or anyone in any part of the earth can post on this website on the internet is because of those invisible balloon stratellites ?

Dunno... I'm using carrier pigeons at the moment.  8GB per bird per day.  Plus all the bird seed they can eat.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:01 AM »
Data cannot be sent by ground based transmitters? 

ausGeoff

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 05:32:46 AM »

Yes, of course it can.  (And you really should be aware of that jroa.)

But that's like saying because I can drive my car from Melbourne to Sydney that aircraft don't exist.  We use the most technologically advanced methods to get jobs done in the most expedient way.  Which is why we use satellites for data transmission rather than carrier pigeons.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 06:03:34 AM »
Why would it be more expedient to send a radio signal into space, and have a floating trash can send it back down to Earth, instead of just sending the signal from one antenna to another? 

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:12 AM »
Why would it be more expedient to send a radio signal into space, and have a floating trash can send it back down to Earth, instead of just sending the signal from one antenna to another?
Because you'd need a grid of, for example, at least one 1,000-ft high antenna tower every 100 miles or so to get full coverage, and more than that if there is significant topography and in built-up areas. And equipment for each of these. And maintenance and coordination. Trade off spacing for tower height as needed. Satellites are cheaper; that's why they're used.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
Because it works.  You still fail to explain the angles of satellite dishes.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:46:14 AM »

But that's like saying because I can drive my car from Melbourne to Sydney that aircraft don't exist.  We use the most technologically advanced methods to get jobs done in the most expedient way.  Which is why we use satellites for data transmission rather than carrier pigeons.
Unless you live in a remote location, fiber optic cables are generally far more expedient for long distance data transmission than satellites or radio towers.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »

Unless you live in a remote location, fiber optic cables are generally far more expedient for long distance data transmission than satellites or radio towers.
Satellites are ideal for multichannel broadcast tv and, of course, GPS.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »

Fiber optics have far greater bandwidth and capacity.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 10:03:06 AM »

That is not relevant to the discussion, millions of people receive TV from satellites and use GPS.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 11:50:38 AM »

That is not relevant to the discussion, millions of people receive TV from satellites and use GPS.

Here is how data communications travel about the earth:

Must be a fake, eh? Everyone knows the internet uses satellites!
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
Legion: I think the concept of WiFi is a myth perpetuated by Linksys. The other day I looked at the back of my computer and I saw this:

Clearly this is how my computer gets the internet. There is no such thing as WiFi.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 12:21:07 PM »
Legion, we know about cables under the sea.  We also know how satellites are used for communication.  Like with all the dishes on the sides of houses and GPS navigation that works in the middle of the oceans.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 02:23:22 PM »
Legion: I think the concept of WiFi is a myth perpetuated by Linksys. The other day I looked at the back of my computer and I saw this:

Clearly this is how my computer gets the internet. There is no such thing as WiFi.

You don't believe that WiFi exists? Perhaps you should start a new topic about your discovery.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:29:39 PM by legion »
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guv and ausGeoff. I think I'll invest in some stocks in bird feed and helium.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »

Incorrect.  If you read the title of the thread, you'll see that it's about satellites and the internet.  This means that TV and GPS are not relevant to this discussion.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
And internet access on ships in the middle of oceans, plus general communication uses satellites. This has been discussed before with links to equipment manufacturers.

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 08:05:31 PM »
I think I know where the submarine cable comes up on my island. I shall take a picture of it this week.
(just talking to myself XD)

Here's an interactive version of the map

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

ausGeoff

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 12:33:53 AM »
And internet access on ships in the middle of oceans.....

The big ships now have a giant roll of fibre optic cable on their aft decks, which unrolls as the ship travels across the ocean.  On the return journey, they simple roll it up again to use next time.

?

Goth

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »
#t=87" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">#t=87

Why can't we see those city night lights on the (supposed) live stream? there's nothing but black when it's on the night side of earth.

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:46 AM »
And internet access on ships in the middle of oceans.....

The big ships now have a giant roll of fibre optic cable on their aft decks, which unrolls as the ship travels across the ocean.  On the return journey, they simple roll it up again to use next time.
They do this on planes as well now.  Though there have been problems with the cables snagging on buildings and bringing the whole plane crashing down to earth...
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2014, 11:46:01 AM »
The explanation for Satellites are about as nonsensical as carbon dating.

Satellites supposedly can stay in orbit traveling thousands of miles an hour with bursts of air simultaneously calculating their co-ordinates in space while estimating the positions of locations on a spinning ball. Wow that's some algorithm they must use!

With Carbon Dating, you can tell approximately how old a fossil is by where it's found in the geologic column. They know how old the layers in the Geologic column from doing carbon dating. Even though carbon dating is the most inaccurate dating tool they use. And sometimes fossils and petrified trees are going through multiple layers of the geologic column.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
I suppose fe will counter this with the explanation the reason that ausGeoff or anyone in any part of the earth can post on this website on the internet is because of those invisible ballooon stratellites ?

Have you looked at how nonsensical the "footprints" are?

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »

#
Take us through why you think they are "nonsensical"?

You could then take me through how I accessed the internet from a plane at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic.

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »

#
Take us through why you think they are "nonsensical"?

You could then take me through how I accessed the internet from a plane at 35,000 feet over the Atlantic.

Why don't you tell me the details? These should include:

1. The airline.
2. How you connected to the internet.
3. What sites you visited.
4. What the connection speed was.
5. Any other pertinent information.

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
I might provide you some details, first I want to check: are you seriously denying you can get internet access on aircraft now?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 01:56:04 PM by JimmyTheCrab »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Are you denying that the internet signals can be sent antenna to antenna? 

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:38 PM »
Are you denying that the internet signals can be sent antenna to antenna?
*yawn* seriously - do you never get bored with this shtick?  Come up with something new.

I am denying you can receive a ground based signal whilst flying over the Atlantic at 35,000 ft.