The Earth is Flat the Sun is not that far away...

• 14 Replies
?

Jingle Jangle

• I breathe therefore I am
The Earth is Flat the Sun is not that far away...
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
The standard figures of the sun I discussed before in the adventures of Mr. Blob...  Here is a recap...

Diameter of the sun = 1,391,684 km
Distance of the sun = 149,600,000 km

What I did is performed some trigonometry... Instead of using regular angular diameters taking the highest and lowest points of the sun, I used horizontal angular diameter...  This technique allows Pythagorean trig... U get the same results with alot less sweat...

All in all, if u draw a line from where u stand to the middle of the sun and then to utmost left side on paper, u get an angle... A terrifyingly small .27 degrees or .266 degrees should be apparent... A .54 degree full viewing angle from left to right should hold the entire body of the sun... (these figures are derived from the above figures, except to get the radius of the sun divide the diameter by 2)

However this is the picture of the sun's angular diameter calculation shown on Wikipedia...

All in all, the angle presented is much larger in nature than explained by science...  It had to be the size of a grain of popcorn in the sky...  Take a protractor yourself and attest to this truth

These major variations alter all gravitational theory because it offsets orbital calculations involving calculus and mass compositions... It destroys the idea of gravity itself.  When u possess these great inaccuracies in science, everything is debunked... post haste...

You can perform the same operation with the moon...  Both moon and sun possess the same angular diameter calculations from earth...  (only 98% deviance should be expected)...

Moon's diameter= 3474.8 km
Distance to the moon = 384,400 km

The degree measure observed in the picture above is about 10 degrees WHOA...  BOOM Shakalaka...

?

BJ1234

Re: The Earth is Flat the Sun is not that far away...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
So you took a protractor and measured the angle drawn in the picture? If that is the case you realize that the pi tire is not to scale right?

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »
Sure... the exact angular diameter of the sun using a solar filter screen or just the moon comes to about 3-4 degrees... I just showed the picture and it did appear to scale enough...

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 08:51:24 AM »
Using your numbers:

Apparent size of sun:

(1,391,684 km) / (149,600,000 km) = 0.0093027 radians

[N.B.: This works for small angles. The technically correct and more accurate technique has a 6 instead of 7 for the last digit shown, but is much more involved.]

(0.0093027 radians) (180 degrees / pi radians) = (0.0093027 radians) (57.2958 degrees/radian)
 = 0.53301 degrees

(0.53301 degrees) (60 minutes / degree) = 31.981 minutes.

As expected.

Apparent size of moon:

(3474.8 km) / (384,400 km) = 0.0090395 radians

(0.0090395 radians) (57.2958 degrees/radian) = 0.51793 degrees

(0.51793 degrees) (60 minutes / degree) = 31.076 minutes

As expected.

Are you concerned that the picture was exaggerated? 

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
the exact degree measure provided .54 degrees only works on paper... If you take a small triangle with a .54 degree apex angle, and align the mid-line of the triangle with the middle point of the sun,  this degree angle fails to fit the entire sun in its breadth... Each line of the triangle, left and right, has to hit the exact left and right sides of the sun...   So.... the your calculations are exact, however, the calculation has to be what is observed...

The protractor set to about .54 or .5 degrees has to be your visual caliper...  Sadly, this angle does not quite pinch it... (pun intended)...

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
OK... Re-reading your OP in light of your later posts, are you measuring the apparent angular size of the Sun or Moon in the sky by drawing an isosceles triangle with the expected vertex angle and holding that up to the Sun? That doesn't seem like a very accurate way to do it and the vertex would have to be exactly touching your eye. Ouch!

Your results are wildly off. The Sun and Moon are the expected sizes.

Instead, why not make a pinhole projector and use that?  Measure the distance from pinhole to screen and diameter of the projected image of the Sun, then perform the math above. The size of the projected image will be enlarged by the diameter of the pinhole, so if the pinhole is relatively large compared to the size of the image (say, 2 mm and 10 mm), subtract the pinhole's diameter from your image diameter first; if it's relatively small in comparison, don't worry about it. You should expect the projected image of the Sun to be roughly 9 mm if the projection distance is 1m.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:31:54 AM »
...to get the radius of the sun divide the diameter by 2.

Uh... is this meant to be a serious geometric directive, or just your little joke?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »

Uh... is this meant to be a serious geometric directive, or just your little joke?

Are you implying that the diameter of a circle is not twice its radius?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

I think he was pointing out that this(d=2r) was such an obvious thing that there was no need to mention it. By the way, I have to add here that some posters here seem to not know this very well...

you get 163,506,980 (263 Million KM) which is total diameter, to find radius to sun divide this number by 1.8

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 04:46:16 PM »
By the way, I have to add here that some posters here seem to not know this very well...

you get 163,506,980 (263 Million KM) which is total diameter, to find radius to sun divide this number by 1.8
That's because he's a self-proclaimed genius who uses Basic Sculelos math.  For example, he can give you the time of day for pacific time zone by multiplying away the angle between it and eastern time by 45 degrees based on the circle of earth being a 400 degree circle, square-rooting it with 3.1416 and then dividing by zero for the result in mountain time.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 05:55:05 AM »
sorry back there... the more exact angle measure that I received was .812 degrees...  I was thinking about a different figure and placed it on the page...  And Rama, I only divided the diameter by two in order to create a horizontal base right degree triangle on the planet that gives me from midpoint, right/left side of the body, and my own eyes an angle which I can multiply by two for the full viewing angle....

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
sorry back there... the more exact angle measure that I received was .812 degrees...  I was thinking about a different figure and placed it on the page...  And Rama, I only divided the diameter by two in order to create a horizontal base right degree triangle on the planet that gives me from midpoint, right/left side of the body, and my own eyes an angle which I can multiply by two for the full viewing angle....

I wasn't responding to you, but thank you for the clarification.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

ausGeoff

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 12:27:14 PM »

Are you confirming you have absolutely no sense of humour?  Or does sarcasm escape you also?

The choice is yours.  Or both—as required LOL.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:43 AM »

Are you confirming you have absolutely no sense of humour?  Or does sarcasm escape you also?

The choice is yours.  Or both—as required LOL.

I choose a third option. You are not funny.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:28 AM »

Using these numbers I get .59 degrees for the Sun and .61 degrees for the Moon. When I measure the Sun and Moon in the Sky I Have seen numbers that have varied between .5 to 1 degree. Real diameter of the Sun and Moon are the same though, both are the same size as Earth actually. I have seen the Earth from the Moon and it was the same size as the Moon from Earth.