FE mirror

• 9 Replies
?

guv

FE mirror
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »
Just love this. The guy is so polite.

Why do people believe this stuff?

I am no psychologist, however I have seen and heard enough over the past years to recognize certain reoccurring personality traits in those professing to be hoax believers. Although there are varying degrees of each, I have come to categorize the hoax believers into two generalized types: the Confused and the Hardcore.

The Confused are average people who have seen or heard the claims of the hoax advocates on TV, the Internet, or from friends and associates. They usually lack the scientific knowledge or experience necessary to dispute the claims, so they begin to doubt the authenticity of the moon landings. Despite their doubts, these people tend to be open-minded and willing to listen to varying points of view. When giving the opportunity to study both sides of the argument, they usually agree the moon landings were real.

The Hardcore, on the other hand, are a completely different type of personality. They almost always exhibit strong paranoid tendencies with an extreme distrust and hatred of the U.S. government. Rather than allowing the evidence to speak for itself, they will often begin by assuming a hoax and then search for evidence to support that preconception. When they see something that looks suspicious they immediately accept it as proof of their belief. When someone attempts to offer an alternate explanation they dismiss it as a NASA lie. Any evidence that contradicts their belief is described as an attempt by the government to deceive us. They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial. They are usually argumentative and often hostile.

The Hardcore also tend to be completely close-minded, refusing to consider alternate possibilities. I have often debated with hardcore individuals over various hoax topics and, to date, I have always been able to completely discredit their claims with arguments that would more than satisfy any open-minded individual. However, they routinely refuse to acknowledge the possibility they could be in error. They will stubbornly cling to their belief in the hoax even when they have no creditable evidence to fall back on. The debate is clearly not just about evidence and physics; there are those who believe in the hoax merely because they want to believe it.

Why do some people choose to believe in the moon-landing hoax? I wish I could provide a definitive answer to that question, however I suspect it is a combination of paranoia and, perhaps more importantly, feelings of inadequacy. The hoax believers create a delusional fantasy in which they are the heroes. Their ability to decipher the subtle clues and uncover the hoax is seen as a demonstration of their intellectual superiority. To the hoax believers the more complex and convoluted the theory, the smarter they feel for having figured it all out. To the rest of us the theory just doesn't make any sense.

Re: FE mirror
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
When you find out how much people actually lie about stuff you start to feel like everyone is lying to you. I have talked to enough people to know that most people don't really care about what you have to say though and most people don't want to listen to what you say either. However I also know that myself I find stuff that catches my eye and sometimes I learn a lot. Sometimes I go back and forth but eventually you will pick a side and once you do it becomes pretty hard to switch because it required dismissing things you thought you knew.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:05 AM »

I am no psychologist, however I have seen and heard enough over the past years to recognize certain reoccurring personality traits in those professing to be hoax believers. Although there are varying degrees of each, I have come to categorize the hoax believers into two generalized types: the Confused and the Hardcore.

The Confused are average people who have seen or heard the claims of the hoax advocates on TV, the Internet, or from friends and associates. They usually lack the scientific knowledge or experience necessary to dispute the claims, so they begin to doubt the authenticity of the moon landings. Despite their doubts, these people tend to be open-minded and willing to listen to varying points of view. When giving the opportunity to study both sides of the argument, they usually agree the moon landings were real.

The Hardcore, on the other hand, are a completely different type of personality. They almost always exhibit strong paranoid tendencies with an extreme distrust and hatred of the U.S. government. Rather than allowing the evidence to speak for itself, they will often begin by assuming a hoax and then search for evidence to support that preconception. When they see something that looks suspicious they immediately accept it as proof of their belief. When someone attempts to offer an alternate explanation they dismiss it as a NASA lie. Any evidence that contradicts their belief is described as an attempt by the government to deceive us. They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial. They are usually argumentative and often hostile.

The Hardcore also tend to be completely close-minded, refusing to consider alternate possibilities. I have often debated with hardcore individuals over various hoax topics and, to date, I have always been able to completely discredit their claims with arguments that would more than satisfy any open-minded individual. However, they routinely refuse to acknowledge the possibility they could be in error. They will stubbornly cling to their belief in the hoax even when they have no creditable evidence to fall back on. The debate is clearly not just about evidence and physics; there are those who believe in the hoax merely because they want to believe it.

Why do some people choose to believe in the moon-landing hoax? I wish I could provide a definitive answer to that question, however I suspect it is a combination of paranoia and, perhaps more importantly, feelings of inadequacy. The hoax believers create a delusional fantasy in which they are the heroes. Their ability to decipher the subtle clues and uncover the hoax is seen as a demonstration of their intellectual superiority. To the hoax believers the more complex and convoluted the theory, the smarter they feel for having figured it all out. To the rest of us the theory just doesn't make any sense.
You are basically describing yourself and those who stick rigidly to that brainwashing technique.
You have categorised those that go against the grain as basically simpletons or hardcore simpletons and yet put yourself on some high pedestal of arrogantly believing that everything officially sold to you is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

People questions stuff all the time, even those that believe in the globe model Earth. Infact most people who do question stuff are still of the belief that they live on what scientists have told them is a rotating globe with all the trimmings.
So what category would you put those people in?
Would they be intelligent scientific savvy people that just misconstrue a few things about official sources or what?

The closed minded people are people like you who not only go with the flow of the mainstream science writers but who actually follow their trait of words in describing anyone who doesn't follow it to the letter, as lunatic - tin foil hat conspiracy theorists.

If you are not being paid to say this stuff then I think you should look in the mirror at yourself, then sit down and quietly contemplate all the stuff that's been forcefully crammed into your mind, then evaluate it all by using a clear unbiased set of thoughts and see where you get to.

You do not need to keep anyone up to date on any forum to achieve this. Do it for yourself and keep it to yourself if you feel that way, unless you want to share it with others by telling them that "maybe" just "maybe", things are not as done and dusted as you first believed.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »

You are basically describing yourself and those who stick rigidly to that brainwashing technique.
You have categorised those that go against the grain as basically simpletons or hardcore simpletons and yet put yourself on some high pedestal of arrogantly believing that everything officially sold to you is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

People questions stuff all the time, even those that believe in the globe model Earth. Infact most people who do question stuff are still of the belief that they live on what scientists have told them is a rotating globe with all the trimmings.
So what category would you put those people in?
Would they be intelligent scientific savvy people that just misconstrue a few things about official sources or what?

The closed minded people are people like you who not only go with the flow of the mainstream science writers but who actually follow their trait of words in describing anyone who doesn't follow it to the letter, as lunatic - tin foil hat conspiracy theorists.

If you are not being paid to say this stuff then I think you should look in the mirror at yourself, then sit down and quietly contemplate all the stuff that's been forcefully crammed into your mind, then evaluate it all by using a clear unbiased set of thoughts and see where you get to.

You do not need to keep anyone up to date on any forum to achieve this. Do it for yourself and keep it to yourself if you feel that way, unless you want to share it with others by telling them that "maybe" just "maybe", things are not as done and dusted as you first believed.

"They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial."

"You are basically describing yourself and those who stick rigidly to that brainwashing technique."

Wow! Walked right into that one. First line, yet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »

"They will say that anyone who believes in the moon landings has been brainwashed or is in denial."

"You are basically describing yourself and those who stick rigidly to that brainwashing technique."

Picking quotes and marrying up what you feel like doesn't help you. It just makes you the same as all the rest of the globulites who choose to do this. It hasn't took you long to take the silly stance, has it?  ;D
You will go the same was as Geoffrey, very shortly.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:02:21 AM »

Picking quotes and marrying up what you feel like doesn't help you. It just makes you the same as all the rest of the globulites who choose to do this. It hasn't took you long to take the silly stance, has it?  ;D
Do you agree that measured distances are fully consistent with a round earth?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:53 AM »

Nope, not at all.

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »

Nope, not at all.
Please give some examples.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

What "silly stance" are you referring to? Recognizing when something that's been predicted is exactly what happens and pointing it out, or believing in a spheroidal earth? Neither seems silly to me.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

ausGeoff

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:26 AM »

That's basically correct sceptimatic, that people with outlandish beliefs that contradict the scientific staus quo, and stubbornly carve them in stone—such as yourself—are somewhat lacking in intellectual capacity.

People questions stuff all the time, even those that believe in the globe model Earth.

Everybody—except you apparently sceptimatic—questions everything with an open, logical, philosophical, science-based mindset.  Whereas you're totally locked into this bizarre notion of a flat earth;  you won't even consider for a moment that you could be wrong, or that the earth is possibly spherical.  You've got an entirely closed mind that blinds you to any other realities.  And funnily enough, you have not one iota of empirical evidence to support your belief.

You have no photographic images; no working diagrams; no flat earth maps; no accredited scientific references; nothing at all—except blind faith and a distorted sense of reality.

You can't even name one single scientist—out of millions—that accepts that the earth is flat.

—Or can you?    ;D