The Rising and Setting of the Sun

• 35 Replies

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: The Rising and Setting of the Sun
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
Where is a picture of a mountain at the distance where it's about to fade away? We have already established mountains hundreds of miles away can still be seen. I have been meaning to take a picture of the mountains looking north.  They appear to drop off the earth. They don't just fade away.

Thanks for asking.  ::)

Yes, this is what is known as "fog". Fog is a collection of liquid water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the air at or near the surface. Fog is not made by mountains, sorry to burst your bubble there. ::) So this has nothing to do with light fading.

You guys are getting very confused about what jroa is saying. He is saying that atmosphere is not perfectly transparent and that with enough distance, even the sun would fade away. Stop trying to rebut that. It's a losing battle but that's ok because it's irrelevant. What matters is that we don't see the sun fade away and that even if some reduced visibility made the sun less opaque than it normally is during a sunset, that is a non-sequitur because we see it disappear bottom-up.
I'm fully aware that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent. I'm saying mountains don't fade away because of distance. It would be because of the current weather. Pictures and a video of the sun not fading away were posted, how are mountain going to fade away when they are closer than the sun? 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:20:54 PM by sokarul »
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »
Where is a picture of a mountain at the distance where it's about to fade away? We have already established mountains hundreds of miles away can still be seen. I have been meaning to take a picture of the mountains looking north.  They appear to drop off the earth. They don't just fade away.

Yes, this is what is known as "fog". Fog is a collection of liquid water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the air at or near the surface. Fog is not made by mountains, sorry to burst your bubble there. ::) So this has nothing to do with light fading.

You guys are getting very confused about what jroa is saying. He is saying that atmosphere is not perfectly transparent and that with enough distance, even the sun would fade away. Stop trying to rebut that. It's a losing battle but that's ok because it's irrelevant. What matters is that we don't see the sun fade away and that even if some reduced visibility made the sun less opaque than it normally is during a sunset, that is a non-sequitur because we see it disappear bottom-up.
I'm fully aware that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent. I'm saying mountains don't fade away and, obviously, the sun doesn't fade away.

Maybe not completely but if a mountain 10 miles away and it is partially faded then what does that say for a sun that 1000s of miles away?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

I'm fully aware that the atmosphere is not perfectly transparent. I'm saying mountains don't fade away because of distance. It would be because of the current weather. Pictures and a video of the sun not fading away were posted, how are mountain going to fade away when they are closer than the sun? 
Those ridges do not fade more and more with distance?  For all we know, there could be another ridge in the distance that has completely faded and we can not see it. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 12:39:31 PM »

It would be a combination. I have never seen a FEer say that distance that reduces visibility, but rather that distance puts more obscuring factors between object and subject.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
LOL, the flat earthers are still avoiding the original question about sunsets and sunrises.
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Atmospheric conditions change.  Looking out my window right now there is a very slight drizzle, combined with a little woodsmoke buildup from lack of any breeze.  I see more "haze" looking at some trees 300meters away at the moment than I do with clear conditions looking at a hill top 8 miles away (which isn't visible at all at the moment).

Hills and mountains also appear smaller the further away I get.  The sun appears the same size all day, despite being 2-3times (or more) further away at sunset or sunrise than at noon.