Woop's brain teasers

• 82 Replies
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2006, 10:52:12 PM »
OK, this is a very simple riddle

A man has two sons, and he refuses to split his inheritence when he dies, so he decides to give it all to one son.  He calls them both in and decides to give it to the one with the slower horse, now both of these kids have good horses, and so theyre confused, they go to visit the town wise man (since all towns have those).  The man says two words that solve their problem, what are those words ?
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2006, 04:45:28 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Okay I know this isn't a brain-teaser but the answer is so nice I had to post it (it's from a practice exam that my girlfriend wrote for one of her students):

Suppose in some country there are several towns.  You can get from any town to any other by a network of highways, though possibly not directly (each highway goes from exactly one town to exactly one other town, touching no third town along the way; some pairs of towns might not have a highway directly connecting them).  Prove that there are two towns with the same number of highways coming out of the towns.

This is not true. For example, you might have towns A, B, and C, with one highway connecting A and B, two connecting B and C, and none connecting A and C. The A has one highway, B has 3, and C has two.

You need to make the additional requirement that there is at most one highway connecting any pair of towns. Now suppose there are n towns. For each town, there is at least one highway visiting the town, and at most n-1 highways (since there are only n-1 other towns), so we have n-1 possibilities, and n towns. By the pigeonhole principle, at least two towns must have the same number of highways.
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
Quote from: "skeptical_scientist"
This is not true. For example, you might have towns A, B, and C, with one highway connecting A and B, two connecting B and C, and none connecting A and C. The A has one highway, B has 3, and C has two.

Hm, yeah, when it was originally worded as a more-boring graph theory problem, I had that covered :P
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
He calls them both in and decides to give it to the one with the slower horse,

Didn't we do this riddle in the other thread?

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2006, 08:13:55 AM »
Hm, yeah, when it was originally worded as a more-boring graph theory problem, I had that covered :P

Heh. I trust what I gave was the intended proof?
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2006, 08:14:50 AM »
Heh. I trust what I gave was the intended proof?

Yes :)  Like I said, I love the proof, so I just had to give the problem.

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:31 AM »
Two women are stranded on a deserted island with nothing except their clothing and a pair of plastic water bottles, one full, and one empty, both of which have become misshapen from lying in the sun. How can they divide the water evenly between them?
-David
E pur si muove!

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2006, 08:32:30 AM »
A martian has two 1-grudflip beakers, one full of H2O, and another full of C2H5OH. It measures out a flisthp of H2O, and adds it to the beaker of C2H5OH, mixes it in, and then measures out a flisthp of the mixture and adds it to the beaker of H2O. Is there more H2O in the C2H5OH container, or C2H5OH in the H2O container?

Bonus question:
The martian is not a chemist. What is it's occupation?
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2006, 09:18:47 AM »
A martian has two 1-grudflip beakers, one full of H2O, and another full of C2H5OH. It measures out a flisthp of H2O, and adds it to the beaker of C2H5OH, mixes it in, and then measures out a flisthp of the mixture and adds it to the beaker of H2O. Is there more H2O in the C2H5OH container, or C2H5OH in the H2O container?

Bonus question:
The martian is not a chemist. What is it's occupation?

Martians don't exist.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:30 AM »
Quote from: "thedigitalnomad"
Martians don't exist.

If you thought I was being serious when I was really just telling a riddle, WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU ORGANIZING A RESCUE MISSION FOR THE TWO WOMEN WHO ARE TRAPPED ON A DESERT ISLAND, EVEN AS WE SPEAK?!?!? THEY'RE DYING OF THIRST, YOU INHUMAN MONSTER!
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Nomad

• Official Member
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
Actually that was my attempt at answering the riddle.  Some of those are tricky like that.  ;P

By the way, I'm fairly sure that his occupation would be a brewer by chance?
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2006, 10:21:52 AM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
He calls them both in and decides to give it to the one with the slower horse,

Didn't we do this riddle in the other thread?

If we did, sorry, I didn't see it.
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »
Quote from: "thedigitalnomad"
Actually that was my attempt at answering the riddle.  Some of those are tricky like that.  ;P

By the way, I'm fairly sure that his occupation would be a brewer by chance?

Oh, heh, sorry. No, I actually wanted to know how the amount of alcohol in the water compares to the amount of water in the alcohol. As far as the occupation goes, I was thinking "bartender", but brewer would also work.
-David
E pur si muove!

Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
Two women are stranded on a deserted island with nothing except their clothing and a pair of plastic water bottles, one full, and one empty, both of which have become misshapen from lying in the sun. How can they divide the water evenly between them?

They each drink half each  :lol:  8-)

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2006, 02:52:48 PM »
Quote from: "woopedazz"
They each drink half each  :lol:  8-)

I get that this is a joke, but in case anyone misunderstands, the question I am asking is this: given the materials at hand, how can they exactly measure  out half of their water supplies?
-David
E pur si muove!

Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2006, 02:55:19 PM »
pour water from teh full one into the empty one untill they are both at the same level?
quote="DiegoDraw"]"And Moses said unto his brethren: 'The Earth is flat!...biznatches,'" [/quote]
DOT INFO

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2006, 03:11:26 PM »
Quote from: "The_Earth_Does_Not_Exist"
pour water from teh full one into the empty one untill they are both at the same level?

This doesn't work, because they are misshapen from lying in the sun (as mentioned), so the same water level in both bottles might not represent the same volume of water.
-David
E pur si muove!

?

GeoGuy

Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
Here are some more easy ones.

The Shamans of central Asia knew of an ancient and ingenious means of passing right through solid walls. What was it?

Leonardo da Vinci carried out the following experiment. He held a sphere of very thin fragile glass above a floor of solid stone. When he dropped it the sphere fell 2 meters (6 feet 6 inches) without breaking. How?

Thomas and Craig go collecting seashells. They take a bag with them to hold their booty. Without knowing its dimensions can you work out how many seashells they can put in the empty bag?

Albert Coley is a fishmonger. He stands 2 meters (6 feet 6 inches) in his socks, takes an XXL in clothes and wears size 14 (50) shoes. What do you think he weighs?

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2006, 05:01:52 PM »
Answers below:
The Shamans of central Asia knew of an ancient and ingenious means of passing right through solid walls. What was it?

Doors.
Leonardo da Vinci carried out the following experiment. He held a sphere of very thin fragile glass above a floor of solid stone. When he dropped it the sphere fell 2 meters (6 feet 6 inches) without breaking. How?

It travelled 2 meters without breaking, and then broke when it hit the ground.
Thomas and Craig go collecting seashells. They take a bag with them to hold their booty. Without knowing its dimensions can you work out how many seashells they can put in the empty bag?

None. If they put any in, it won't be empty.
Albert Coley is a fishmonger. He stands 2 meters (6 feet 6 inches) in his socks, takes an XXL in clothes and wears size 14 (50) shoes. What do you think he weighs?

Fish.
-David
E pur si muove!

Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2006, 05:03:40 PM »
1: gates/doors?

2: no idea  :(

3: 12

4: alot

...too early for my mind to work these out...  :(

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2006, 04:55:09 PM »
Quote from: "skeptical scientist"

He's holding it 2.1 metres in the air?

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2006, 05:07:18 PM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"

I wasn't asking the question, I was answering it. I put my answers in white, but you can see them if you highlight. 2.1 meters is the right idea, if you mean it fell 2 meters without breaking, and then fell another 10 cm and broke. There are two brain-teasers asked by me earlier in this thread which haven't yet been answered, and a couple of riddles asked by others as well, I think.
-David
E pur si muove!

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
Woop's brain teasers
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2006, 06:41:27 PM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"

I wasn't asking the question, I was answering it. I put my answers in white, but you can see them if you highlight. 2.1 meters is the right idea, if you mean it fell 2 meters without breaking, and then fell another 10 cm and broke. There are two brain-teasers asked by me earlier in this thread which haven't yet been answered, and a couple of riddles asked by others as well, I think.

Heh - didnt even notice the answers in white... duhhhhhh. They were good. Glad I was on the right track for the one i answered. I'll go see if I can find the unanswered ones now. I have a meeting this arvo, so they'd be perfect to ponder while I'm there (keep me awake) ;)