Will the NFL fall?

• 19 Replies

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Will the NFL fall?
« on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
With two pretty major scandals in the media at the moment, the NFL is under intense scrutiny.  There are a lot of talk of permanently removing players and the commissioner.  However, even amid these controversies the games are full and being watched at near record levels.  We all know these types of things have been going on for decades behind closed doors and swept under the rug, but could this be the beginning of the decline of the NFL?

I'm inclined to think nothing short of a massive league wide epidemic and cover up will ever cause the downfall of the NFL. I'm interested in what you all think though.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Will the NFL fall?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
As long as people are watching the games they won't fall. Players and commissioners come and go all the time anyway.

I wish that the NFL had to pay for their own stadiums, and I wish they weren't considered a nonprofit, but no amount of scandal will change those things. 
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
As long as people are watching the games they won't fall. Players and commissioners come and go all the time anyway.

I wish that the NFL had to pay for their own stadiums, and I wish they weren't considered a nonprofit, but no amount of scandal will change those things.

They aren't considered a non-profit so much as an economic infrastructure item.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
When I first heard they were considered a non-profit I was dumbfounded.  I can't believe a multi-billion dollar industry which does everything in it's power to make more money could be a "non-profit".

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:08:25 PM »
When I first heard they were considered a non-profit I was dumbfounded.  I can't believe a multi-billion dollar industry which does everything in it's power to make more money could be a "non-profit".

I did a bit of reading and into my surprise the NFL is a non-profit. However, the teams comprising the membership of the NFL are for profit and subject to regular corporate taxation.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »

The Catholic Church comes to mind!
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
At least with the church the goal is purportedly to spread the teachings of Jesus and while I can't confirm this to be true, I doubt the higher ups in the faith are making multimillion dollar salaries.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
They don't need cash, they've got nun servants and live in mansions!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 06:25:55 PM »
Goodell makes 66mil. Non profit, itmakes me sick.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Speaking of failing is anybody watching this game?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
I've grown to enjoy FBS more.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:04:19 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how people can heap praise and vast sums of money on people for being very aggressive and violent at work, yet be shocked and horrified when some of that aggression and violence spills over into their personal lives.  Almost makes one wonder if some of these guys suffer from PTSD.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 07:43:02 AM »
It never ceases to amaze me how people can heap praise and vast sums of money on people for being very aggressive and violent at work, yet be shocked and horrified when some of that aggression and violence spills over into their personal lives. 
Crime rates in the NFL are actually a fraction of what they are in the general population.

"The NFL arrest rate for active players is around one in 47 but in the general population the arrest rate is actually double that, it's about one in 25. It's a surprise. It seems like you hear about an NFL arrest every week but it turns out they're still better behaved than regular society."

When the general population numbers are broken down even further the NFL players look even more like model citizens. The Bureau of Justice's figures reveal that the arrest rate for men is one in 15.

Active NFL players are aged, in the main, between 21 and 34 and the arrest rate for that demographic is one in 8. The arrest rate for people of Aaron Hernandez's age - he's 23 - is a startling one in 6.

It needs to be pointed out that it's not that one in six 23-year-old men in the US get arrested every year. The figures are for arrests, not people. Some people are arrested time and time again - prolific burglars, for example - and this will bump up the arrest figures.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23179125
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
I heard a pundit make the same point, but there is another factor to bring up, and that is privilege.  I am not sure that there is hard data to back this up, but it seems fairly uncontroversial to say that people of privilege get away with offenses that others might not.  I think there are likely offenses committed by football players that the authorities look the other way on.

That being said, I can't see it bumping up arrest numbers by a factor of 2.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 11:10:47 AM »
Yeah, wealthy people get away with crimes poor people do not, unless the crime is caught on camera! Even then, they are much less likely to go to prison.

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 02:26:16 AM »
I heard a pundit make the same point, but there is another factor to bring up, and that is privilege.  I am not sure that there is hard data to back this up, but it seems fairly uncontroversial to say that people of privilege get away with offenses that others might not.  I think there are likely offenses committed by football players that the authorities look the other way on.

That being said, I can't see it bumping up arrest numbers by a factor of 2.
Yes, I'm sure the clubs expensive lawyers and private detectives make stuff go away to a certain extent, then again, we are talking about arrests here, not convictions  -so it isn't always matter of getting away with stuff.

Anyway, when you adjust for age, sex and ethnicity it isn't even a factor of 2 - more like 6.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
Something something Ray Lewis murdered someone something something.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 08:22:10 PM »
Did I miss it?  Has the NFL failed yet?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 08:37:12 PM »
I don't think so... that was a close one!
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 06:43:29 AM »
Yes, it's reassuring to know that the brutally violent personal lives of its players can't kill a brutally violent sport.