Confirming the existence of God

• 51 Replies

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
Re: Confirming the existence of God
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
The biggest problem with proving/falsifying god is the claim is specifically designed to be unfalsifiable.  God was once though to be living in a cave, that only the shaman could venture into and talk to, it was a method of control, as the leaders would divulge god's bidding to their followers, usually offerings and riches.  Eventually one of the followers ventured into the forbidden cave, and found nothing.  Then God was put on top of a mountain, then up in the sky, and eventually all around us, but invisible and undetectable except by those he chooses

Yea, but the thing is, you've got your order mixed up. Theism existed before any sort of leadership system, and God was believed to be everywhere in nature at once, and then later on in history, priests and whatnot tried to say that God was in such-and-such temple and only they could talk to him.

My point still stands, and I never said that was the first instance of theism.

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

sorry a bit off topic, but this quote is one of my favorites.

I also like:

Matthew 6:5-6:  And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

The Ellimist

• "Let us play a game, Crayak."
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
I've heard this argument many times. It's stupid. It's like asking why microbiologists create and study bacteria cultures. To gather information. Out of pure interest.
Microbiologists don't get all upset when their bacteria cultures don't worship them.
Neither does God.
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

The Ellimist

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
The biggest problem with proving/falsifying god is the claim is specifically designed to be unfalsifiable.  God was once though to be living in a cave, that only the shaman could venture into and talk to, it was a method of control, as the leaders would divulge god's bidding to their followers, usually offerings and riches.  Eventually one of the followers ventured into the forbidden cave, and found nothing.  Then God was put on top of a mountain, then up in the sky, and eventually all around us, but invisible and undetectable except by those he chooses

Yea, but the thing is, you've got your order mixed up. Theism existed before any sort of leadership system, and God was believed to be everywhere in nature at once, and then later on in history, priests and whatnot tried to say that God was in such-and-such temple and only they could talk to him.

If you cannot see God everywhere, you will never find him anywhere.

If you cannot detect dark matter anywhere, you will never find it anywhere. Owait.....

That is more or less what Jesus taught.

I don't care

EDIT: Problems with the quote thingy
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:42:56 AM by The Ellimist »
Additionally, we cannot entirely rule out the nefarious effects of demons, spirits, gnomes, and wizards on our society's ability to comprehend our flat earth as it really is. 

Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
I've heard this argument many times. It's stupid. It's like asking why microbiologists create and study bacteria cultures. To gather information. Out of pure interest.
Microbiologists don't get all upset when their bacteria cultures don't worship them.
Neither does God.

Really?  Not in the book I read. 
You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.  You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,  but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

The Ellimist

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »
Neither does God.

Really?  Not in the book I read. 
You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.  You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,  but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

I can't say I'm fond of your literature choices. It seems you forgot about the original post.

How would one go about this? (All religion aside)

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
I think the ability to even think about if there is a possibility of God means yeah there is because why would we ever need to think about that from an evolutionary perspective? I mean if evolution always led to higher life-forms I think it could be said, "Why didn't we just evolve to live forever?" Why do we need all this repeatedly dying over and over again bullcrap? Why would we even need to think in the first place or feel anything at all? What makes us more alive then a rock or air? What even is life? How did matter and energy even come to the universe in the first place if there was a big bang? If space is a vacuum what is sucking? Where is it sucking? And how is it sucking?

If you are saying what is the supreme being, wouldn't that by definition be that which is the entire universe because you can't be more supreme then everything combined, well unless you created that which is from nothing...

...I suppose there is no way to believe in God without faith, because faith is believing in what you cannot see. Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but we still have to believe that our past memories are true or else our whole life just degrades into pure lunacy.

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2014, 05:18:06 AM »

I can't say I'm fond of your literature choices. It seems you forgot about the original post.
What, the one where you didn't specify which god you are referring to?

Most religions involve a god that requires worship and/or sacrifice.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

The Ellimist

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
I think the ability to even think about if there is a possibility of God means yeah there is because why would we ever need to think about that from an evolutionary perspective? I mean if evolution always led to higher life-forms I think it could be said, "Why didn't we just evolve to live forever?" Why do we need all this repeatedly dying over and over again bullcrap? Why would we even need to think in the first place or feel anything at all? What makes us more alive then a rock or air? What even is life? How did matter and energy even come to the universe in the first place if there was a big bang? If space is a vacuum what is sucking? Where is it sucking? And how is it sucking?

If you are saying what is the supreme being, wouldn't that by definition be that which is the entire universe because you can't be more supreme then everything combined, well unless you created that which is from nothing...

...I suppose there is no way to believe in God without faith, because faith is believing in what you cannot see. Just because we can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but we still have to believe that our past memories are true or else our whole life just degrades into pure lunacy.

What even is this...what?

Okay I think i can make some sense of this.

Why didn't we just evolve to live forever?" Why do we need all this repeatedly dying over and over again bullcrap?

That mutation didn't pop up.

Why would we even need to think in the first place or feel anything at all?

That mutation did pop up.

What makes us more alive then a rock or air?

Having a brain and being made of organic compounds.

What even is life?
The state of being alive....?

If space is a vacuum what is sucking? Where is it sucking? And how is it sucking?

I wish there was a facepalm emoji. You guys need to put one in.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:53:30 AM by The Ellimist »

The Ellimist

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:22 AM »

What, the one where you didn't specify which god you are referring to?

Most religions involve a god that requires worship and/or sacrifice.

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »
Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

sorry a bit off topic, but this quote is one of my favorites.

I also like:

Matthew 6:5-6:  And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.  But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

At the end of this post there is an Allan Watts link you will like.

Gnostic Christian Mystery School Secret Truth #1.

All that can and is said of all Gods is speculative by nature as none of it is provable. To state that God exists cannot be a true statement unless one has a God to show. This is irrefutable as it can be shown that all Gods are based on ancient myths and stories. They are always to remain mysterious.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

All religions are based on myths, legends and hope in an afterlife that unfortunately turned to literal belief, --- and this one issue created the war against free thought that led to the purge of many cults that did not want to read literally and to the Inquisition and the Dark Ages. It ended the Mystery Schools.

Literalists cannot help but be wrong unless they rely on blind faith and that faith of fools has pushed Christians and Muslims to kill many due to this blind faith mind set.  Christians will kill   again, --- just like Islam is doing today thanks to literal reading, --- given the chance. 

Christian literalist won against free thinking religions thanks to Constantine’s support --- but they cannot win today thanks to an intelligent population who are not superstitious nor as gullible as in past times and do not believe in fantasy, miracles and magic.

Is literal reading of any scripture or holy book mentally good, or mentally evil?

Has literal reading done the damage I alluded to or has it been a good influence for mankind?

Regards
DL

P.S.
This thinking is the Gnostic Christian’s goal. " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus.

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
Neither does God.

God sure does. Payback is a bitch.

Regards
DL

The Ellimist

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2014, 09:27:50 AM »
Neither does God.

God sure does. Payback is a bitch.

Regards
DL

Please refrain from posting stupidity no one cares about. We aren't talking about any form of Christianity, or any other religion, so all your Bible quotes and speculation on Christian history are irrelevant. Contribute to the topic or get the fuck out.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »

Evolution doesn't always lead to higher life forms (whatever "higher" means).  It isn't about what we, or any other species, needs. Evolution is change over time, sometimes the changes are beneficial and sometimes they aren't. Also, there's no reason to evolve into beings that live forever, survival of the species only requires life long enough to produce successful offspring. 

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/misconceptions_teacherfaq.php#a3

MISCONCEPTION: Evolution results in progress; organisms are always getting better through evolution.

CORRECTION: One important mechanism of evolution, natural selection, does result in the evolution of improved abilities to survive and reproduce; however, this does not mean that evolution is progressive — for several reasons. First, as described in a misconception below (link to "Natural selection produces organisms perfectly suited to their environments"), natural selection does not produce organisms perfectly suited to their environments. It often allows the survival of individuals with a range of traits — individuals that are "good enough" to survive. Hence, evolutionary change is not always necessary for species to persist. Many taxa (like some mosses, fungi, sharks, opossums, and crayfish) have changed little physically over great expanses of time. Second, there are other mechanisms of evolution that don't cause adaptive change. Mutation, migration, and genetic drift may cause populations to evolve in ways that are actually harmful overall or make them less suitable for their environments. For example, the Afrikaner population of South Africa has an unusually high frequency of the gene responsible for Huntington's disease because the gene version drifted to high frequency as the population grew from a small starting population. Finally, the whole idea of "progress" doesn't make sense when it comes to evolution. Climates change, rivers shift course, new competitors invade — and an organism with traits that are beneficial in one situation may be poorly equipped for survival when the environment changes. And even if we focus on a single environment and habitat, the idea of how to measure "progress" is skewed by the perspective of the observer. From a plant's perspective, the best measure of progress might be photosynthetic ability; from a spider's it might be the efficiency of a venom delivery system; from a human's, cognitive ability. It is tempting to see evolution as a grand progressive ladder with Homo sapiens emerging at the top. But evolution produces a tree, not a ladder — and we are just one of many twigs on the tree.

Re the topic - If there is a god somewhere, it would depend on the properties of the god whether or not it could be detected. If this being was omnipotent it could keep us from detecting it. If it isn't omnipotent, then it's not really a god, although there could be a being so advanced that it would seem like a god.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

The Ellimist

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2014, 03:12:18 PM »
Re the topic - If there is a god somewhere, it would depend on the properties of the god whether or not it could be detected. If this being was omnipotent it could keep us from detecting it. If it isn't omnipotent, then it's not really a god, although there could be a being so advanced that it would seem like a god.

First thing relevant to the post in a long time. But I slightly disagree on the last statement. What about not being omnipotent makes something less of a god? We're not omnipotent, but we're still "potent" enough to control a bacteria or an ants universe.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:01 PM »
Maybe you should explain your criteria for what constitutes a god, then. There's a possibility that there are creatures more advanced than humans somewhere in the universe... how much more advanced than us would they need to be to be gods to us?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
Oh, sorry I just thought of this. Bacteria and ants are potent enough to control our universe, too.

We rely on bacteria, and we are killed by bacteria. We are not the gods of bacteria! If all humans died, there would still be bacteria. If all bacteria died, we wouldn't survive. We have a symbiotic relationship with them, but they don't need us.

We don't control the ants' universe. Being able to kill a few of them, isn't the same thing. The ants go marching on. They can kill us, we can kill them.

The Ellimist

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2014, 05:45:16 PM »
Maybe you should explain your criteria for what constitutes a god, then. There's a possibility that there are creatures more advanced than humans somewhere in the universe... how much more advanced than us would they need to be to be gods to us?

A god would be something that isn't physical, and probably exists on a different dimension than us.

The Ellimist

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 05:47:56 PM »
Oh, sorry I just thought of this. Bacteria and ants are potent enough to control our universe, too.

We rely on bacteria, and we are killed by bacteria. We are not the gods of bacteria! If all humans died, there would still be bacteria. If all bacteria died, we wouldn't survive. We have a symbiotic relationship with them, but they don't need us.

We don't control the ants' universe. Being able to kill a few of them, isn't the same thing. The ants go marching on. They can kill us, we can kill them.

Yea, it was a bad comparison. Maybe it's more like we are gods to art and other drawn things, which is 2-dimesional and whose existence is completely dependent on us.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2014, 07:42:02 AM »
Maybe someday quantum physics will be able to determine what is in other dimensions.

The Ellimist

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 03:34:58 PM »
Maybe someday quantum physics will be able to determine what is in other dimensions.
Someday might be in a couple decades.

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

You will never see quantum physics be able to answer that question but in four decades (Approx: March 21st, 2055) a race of horned, winged, talking flying ape-like shape-shifters along with tens of thousands of Egyptians (Along with Ramses adopted brother of Moses) who where swallowed by the counter-space vortex and ended up on the outside of the World will return. They have not died because they have been implanted with nano-bots that make them never age and allow them to control elements. The total number returning might be around 200,000 total both men and beast. However even when they return asking them the question of if God exist won't really get you any answers because their leaders is the biggest liar in the universe and when he speaks of a lie he speaks of his own so he will probably just tell you that there are many gods and that you could become your own god if you follow him ect... of course I'm not sure how all of this will play out but I should still be alive by then so I guess it's all wait and see. I'll probably eventually be murdered by them though, at least most probably.