The Sky Is The Answer

• 14 Replies

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
The Sky Is The Answer
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:28:36 PM »
So, I came to a discovery on a trip in the car. I saw a jet flying pretty far away from me (one of the planes that makes the cloud trails), and the cloud trail was going, from my point of view, straight down.

Now, in order for this to work, either:
(a) It's falling from an extremely high altitude, and at a relatively slow rate.
(b) It's curving around the apparent curvature of the Earth (i.e. proving a piece of the Round Earth Model).
(c) It's some sort of optical trick that our eyes play on us, or the always relevant
(d) I messed up somehow in my observation, and I'm really not correct in any of my assumptions.

Also, this could be relevant for clouds. If you see clouds on the horizon, does that mean that over on the horizon, it's extremely foggy? And when the sun is on the horizon, are the people over there being fried by intensive heat?

Any thoughts?

~D-Draw

Re: The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:04:07 PM »
Quote from: "DiegoDraw"
So, I came to a discovery on a trip in the car. I saw a jet flying pretty far away from me (one of the planes that makes the cloud trails), and the cloud trail was going, from my point of view, straight down.

Now, in order for this to work, either:
(a) It's falling from an extremely high altitude, and at a relatively slow rate.
(b) It's curving around the apparent curvature of the Earth (i.e. proving a piece of the Round Earth Model).
(c) It's some sort of optical trick that our eyes play on us, or the always relevant
(d) I messed up somehow in my observation, and I'm really not correct in any of my assumptions.

Also, this could be relevant for clouds. If you see clouds on the horizon, does that mean that over on the horizon, it's extremely foggy? And when the sun is on the horizon, are the people over there being fried by intensive heat?

Any thoughts?

~D-Draw

lol. that's like the old trick where you take your fingers and pretend to squish someone's head because your fingers look like they're on someone's head.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:10:33 PM »
Quote from: "safety not guaranteed"
lol. that's like the old trick where you take your fingers and pretend to squish someone's head because your fingers look like they're on someone's head.

Um...No it's not. The head-squish trick is due to depth perception, and distances, not the apparently dome-like surface of the sky...They're actually not alike at all...

~D-Draw

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:19:14 PM »
Quote from: "DiegoDraw"
Quote from: "safety not guaranteed"

Um...No it's not. The head-squish trick is due to depth perception, and distances, not the apparently dome-like surface of the sky...They're actually not alike at all...

~D-Draw

so you mean to tell me that perceiving the sun to be on the brink of the earth and perceiving my fingers to be squishing someone are different?

explain yourself!

skeptical scientist

• -2 Flamebait
The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:29:13 AM »
It's option c. Suppose you were standing on the surface of an infinite plane, and a large object were travelling at constant height above the plane, but the object's shadow, which we assume to be directly below the object, were moving directly away from you. Now we can use trigonometry to find the angle above the plane at which the object appears: it will be tan(a/d), where a is the altitude, and d the distance to the object's shadow. Since the altitude is constant, and d is increasing, a/d will be decreasing, so the angle will also decrease. If you are good at visualizing this sort of thing, you can see that the angle will be decreasing without resorting to taking tangents. In other words the object will appear to be lower down, when in fact it's at constant height, but further away. So this observation of yours is just as easily explained by a flat earth as by a round one.
-David
E pur si muove!

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:27:39 AM »
Quote from: "skeptical_scientist"
It's option c. Suppose you were standing on the surface of an infinite plane, and a large object were travelling at constant height above the plane, but the object's shadow, which we assume to be directly below the object, were moving directly away from you. Now we can use trigonometry to find the angle above the plane at which the object appears: it will be tan(a/d), where a is the altitude, and d the distance to the object's shadow. Since the altitude is constant, and d is increasing, a/d will be decreasing, so the angle will also decrease. If you are good at visualizing this sort of thing, you can see that the angle will be decreasing without resorting to taking tangents. In other words the object will appear to be lower down, when in fact it's at constant height, but further away. So this observation of yours is just as easily explained by a flat earth as by a round one.

exactly man, exactly.

?

Leo

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 09:34:23 AM »
seems very logical to me ...

but when i read this i was wondering if anytime in the future (i hope not so early) the ice wall is melted by the sun? could this be possible end of everything, the armageddon?
I would feel safer if someone could disprove this to me ...
arth's a pancake - you're a towel

?

Nomad

• Official Member
The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:19:59 AM »
That's been thought of before.  The ice wall melts at the same rate that the RE Antarctica melts, and I'm fairly sure it's not melting at an amazing pace.  Besides, the ice is landlocked anyway, so even if it melted, there is a mountain range it sits on that sill holds the water in the boundaries of the worlddisc.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:16:54 AM »
yes..but you're a towell

?

Leo

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:18:11 AM »
you're a towel!
arth's a pancake - you're a towel

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:19:24 AM »
no, you're a towel
I'm a human being that believes in the earths flatness

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 11:21:34 AM »
wow... I'm impressed, "you're" was spelled correctly each time
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 11:25:01 AM »
yeah, cause we aren't the retarded offspring of 5 monkeys having buttsex with a fishfrog

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 12:18:13 PM »
Quote from: "Gallilei"
yeah, cause we aren't the retarded offspring of 5 monkeys having buttsex with a fishfrog

Well, that obviously puts you above most other Round Earthers, then.

~D-Draw

The Sky Is The Answer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 03:01:21 PM »
"dont forget to bring a towel"

"fuk off towlie!!!"

"so u dont want towlie around? am i to understand there has been a...towlieban"

:lol:  fuk i luv that show  :lol: