The Science Delusion

• 23 Replies
?

Goth

The Science Delusion
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:14:12 AM »
Rupert Sheldrake, Ph.D. (born 28 June 1942) is a biologist and author of more than 80 scientific papers and ten books.

A former Research Fellow of the Royal Society, he studied natural sciences at Cambridge University, where he was a Scholar of Clare College, took a double first class honours degree and was awarded the University Botany Prize.

He then studied philosophy and history of science at Harvard University, where he was a Frank Knox Fellow, before returning to Cambridge, where he took a Ph.D. in biochemistry.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:20:15 AM by Goth »

Re: The Science Delusion
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:12:24 AM »
So what?

Why have you copy pastared this?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
I really liked that video! (and actually I'm just halfway through)

I think it should be called The Dogmas of Science or something, because science at its core is still good, but it has many dogmatic traits to it.

In particular I liked
  • talking about mechanistic medicine
  • collective memory and morphic resonance
  • speed of light changing and people saying their calculations were wrong and not that speed of light changed

P.S.

I am now a fan of this guy
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 01:22:04 PM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »
A pretty good write-up on why it was removed from TEDx videos and not actually 'BANNED' like the video says.

http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/18/graham-hancock-and-rupert-sheldrake-a-fresh-take/

And Rupert Sheldrake's response about what the TED scientific board said about his talk

http://blog.ted.com/2013/03/14/open-for-discussion-graham-hancock-and-rupert-sheldrake/
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:20:49 AM »
I am now a fan of this guy
I used to be, and read a few of his books when I was younger.

He used to present interesting 'make you think' type scientific speculation, but I think he jumped the shark some time ago and is now pretty much a quack.  The guy's biggest fan is Deepak Chopra, which I think tells you plenty.

He's dishonest, as he has had a number of his ideas debunked over the years, yet still keeps on plugging them.  He knows they are rubbish, but his fans like them and they sell books.  He is very similar to Hancock in this respect.

So the speed of light is changing?

Oh, it isn't - measurements have got more accurate as instrumentation has improved (hardly surprising) especially with the invention of Lasers - now measurements of c are very close to one another, and within expected error bars.  Yet he keeps selling this crap.

He also has this vague notion of "morphic resonance" - which seems to be pure "god of the gaps" fallacy.  Hey, we can't explain this, therefore morphic resonance.  He said we couldn't explain flocking behaviour with conventional science, and this means they might be using some kind of morphic field.  However biologists and computer scientists now have extremely accurate models for most flocking behaviour that uses conventional rules - which he ignores or squirms round.  Morphic resonance is essentially unfalsifiable, therefore pseudoscience.

Anyway, good write up of his talk here

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Goth

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:23:00 AM »
So what?

I only thought I'd share something, sorry

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
So what?

You could at least bother to add your own commentary - just copy-pasting someone else's text without attribution isn't good practice.

Probably should be in the lounge as well.  Sheldrake may be a quack, but he does think the earth is round.

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:33:43 PM »
So what?

You could at least bother to add your own commentary - just copy-pasting someone else's text without attribution isn't good practice.

Probably should be in the lounge as well.  Sheldrake may be a quack, but he does think the earth is round.
I completely agree with you. If you cannot even write a complete sentence about what you found interesting in a presentation, you should just avoid quoting it altogether.

Nevertheless, it is completely astounding that a scientist really does believe that the speed of light was measurably different in the 1930's or 1940's compared with the current value. There are hypothesis about different light speeds in the young universe (some billion years ago) and I would take them into close consideration if more evidence surfaced. But a difference of several meters per second in a few decades would be truly spectacular. Repercussions of this phenomenon would be visible in everyday life as the entire GPS system would stop working with the precision we all expect. Astronomical measurements we now make routinely would all appear to show that the whole universe changes speed in unison.

Rupert Sheldrake could, if he did believe his own dribble, make precise measurements of the speed of light (something we now can do with a precision of about one part in a billion) and get a Nobel Prize and every single prize for astronomers in this planet simply showing his results.

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:55:43 PM »
PS.

Watching the end of this video, just because I was bored, I found out that this fabulous PhD does not know the difference between "big G", a constant that we have measured to better than one part in 10,000 in every circumstance we have tried, and "standard small g", a constant by definition, which does not have to be measured because it is a definition, and "local g", a variable that changes all the time, from location to location, and depending on the altitude.

With his lack of understanding, which goes all the way to not understanding the difference between constants and variables, and different variables/constants that share similar symbols, he is not even a good candidate for entrance to an undergraduate program.

ausGeoff

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:56:27 AM »
Rupert Sheldrake also has a Ph.D in gullibility.

This is one of his nuttier pet [sic] projects:

N'kisi (pronounced ‘‘in-key-see’’) is a captive bred eight or nine-year-old hand raised African Grey Parrot whose owner, Aimée Morgana, thinks uses language. She doesn't think he just sounds out words. She thinks he communicates with her in language, which would in effect make N'kisi a rational parrot.

For example, N'kisi utters "pretty smell medicine" when he wants to describe the aromatherapy oils that Aimée uses.

Furthermore, Aimée says her parrot has a fine sense of humor and knows how to laugh. Imagine having conversations with a humorous parrot. Think of all the things you could talk and joke about, besides aromatherapy. You could discuss the fame that would come to anyone who had a parrot that can think and converse in intelligent discourse, like pretty smell medicine and look at my pretty naked body.

;D

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 10:26:12 AM »
Rupert Sheldrake also has a Ph.D in gullibility.

This is one of his nuttier pet [sic] projects:

N'kisi (pronounced ‘‘in-key-see’’) is a captive bred eight or nine-year-old hand raised African Grey Parrot whose owner, Aimée Morgana, thinks uses language. She doesn't think he just sounds out words. She thinks he communicates with her in language, which would in effect make N'kisi a rational parrot.

For example, N'kisi utters "pretty smell medicine" when he wants to describe the aromatherapy oils that Aimée uses.

Furthermore, Aimée says her parrot has a fine sense of humor and knows how to laugh. Imagine having conversations with a humorous parrot. Think of all the things you could talk and joke about, besides aromatherapy. You could discuss the fame that would come to anyone who had a parrot that can think and converse in intelligent discourse, like pretty smell medicine and look at my pretty naked body.

;D

Your does not make sense.  Are you drunk?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »
I don't normally read his posts, but as you quoted him...

I think he is referring to this bit of frippery: The aromatherapy loving telepathic parrot

As I say, Sheldrake jumped the shark some time ago.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:13 AM »
I don't normally read his posts, but as you quoted him...

I think he is referring to this bit of frippery: The aromatherapy loving telepathic parrot

As I say, Sheldrake jumped the shark some time ago.

Now it makes sense.   Thanks.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

ausGeoff

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:13:55 AM »

Hello again my dear stalker...

Could you please clarify what you mean by "your XXXXX does not make sense" as this simple little sentence of yours makes even less sense.  I really think that before you dare berate my comments, you need to ensure that you're not making even more nonsensical statements. 

Otherwise, you just make yourself look like even more of a fool than you apparently are LOL.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »

Could you please clarify what you mean by "your XXXXX does not make sense" as this simple little sentence of yours makes even less sense.  I really think that before you dare berate my comments, you need to ensure that you're not making even more nonsensical statements. 

Otherwise, you just make yourself look like even more of a fool than you apparently are LOL.

Oh I dare...

ausGeoff

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 03:54:22 AM »

Oh I dare...

Uh... you still haven't explained what it is of mine that "does not make sense".  I'm intrigued now LOL.

Or is it more likely that in your haste to tap out yet another puerile insult directed at me, you left out the relevant word?  Oh dear.    ;D

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 04:23:42 AM »
If you would perhaps read on for more context you might be able to infer that the missing word was post. Jimmy the Crab figured it out. You were missing a whole lot of context.

ausGeoff

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 04:37:53 AM »
If you would perhaps read on for more context you might be able to infer that the missing word was post. Jimmy the Crab figured it out. You were missing a whole lot of context.

So... just to clarify this issue you seem to be having so much trouble with... and to get the thread back on topic:  Do you agree with my assessment that Rupert Sheldrake is a total nutter, or do you regard him as a credible source of scientific opinion?

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »
Oh, do fuck off Geoff.

ausGeoff

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 05:22:32 AM »
Oh, do fuck off Geoff.

Ahhh... such a charming use of the English language LOL.

So, do you agree with the flat earthers that Sheldrake was once a respected commentator on matters scientific?  You apparently disagree with my opinion of him as a nutcase.  Or are you still happy to sit on the fence—as you seem to favour doing on these forums?

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 09:31:23 AM »
So, do you agree with the flat earthers that Sheldrake was once a respected commentator on matters scientific?  You apparently disagree with my opinion of him as a nutcase.  Or are you still happy to sit on the fence—as you seem to favour doing on these forums?
None of the above, I'm simply telling you to fuck off.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
Please stop the profanity and personal attacks in the upper fora.  Thanks. 

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
Sorry, I'm going through a tough time.  I just found out I have crabs, which is kinda weird, as I'm a crab.

Arith

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
man, because I was sleeping in the moonlight, I had a dream about crabs.
On an unrelated note I found crab prints on my bathroom floor.