Interview with NewstalkFM

• 8 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Interview with NewstalkFM
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:56:53 AM »
Today I did an interview with NewstalkFM, one of Ireland's largest radio stations. You can listen to it via the link below (roughly the last 10-15 minutes):

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/8/12384/28th_August_2014_-_Moncrieff_Part_3
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Interview with NewstalkFM
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
Great job, Wilmore.  I enjoyed that. 

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:54:42 PM »
Very well done, Wilmore!  Thanks for posting.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
Excellent!
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
I enjoyed listening to that.  Your personal views are great and should be expressed here more often.

ausGeoff

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:47:20 PM »
I took the time to listen to your interview Michael, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't find your opinions any more clarifying than those already posted here on the Flat Earth Wiki or the forum.

I was hoping for a more in-depth personal point of view on a couple of the more contentious issues.  You claimed that the flat earth was both a finite disc which you could fall off, as well as an infinite plane, but were only guessing as to what covered that infinite plane.  You also said that a person couldn't travel accurately due east or west without an as-yet undiscovered navigational device, but laid that problem on conventional round earth navigation deficiencies. 

You were also unsure as to the sizes of the planets and the sun, other than to say that you didn't accept the usual flat earthers claim of 3,000km (not miles?) diameter.  A couple of times you relied on the notion of extremely excessive refraction (or "bendy" light) to explain the apparent orbits of the planetary system, sunrises/sunsets, and curved horizons,  but you voiced no opinion as to the actual mechanics of this refraction.

You opined that scientists were simply "wrong" in viewing the earth from space as a sphere, or that the rounded appearance of the earth and planets was caused, again, by the "aether", whose composition and optical effects you didn't explain.  You also didn't explain the connection between the aether and refraction either—as far as any presumed optical interface was involved.   This undefined aether was simply just there, and massive refraction simply just occurred.

Your claim that aircraft pilots "didn't understand" their navigation systems is demonstrably wrong; it's one of the basics of their training due to its critical nature.  Presumably this opinion is based on nothing more than a guess intended to support your case?

And all too often, you resorted to so-called weasel words such as possibly, theoretically, unknown, potentially, might be, could be etc.  Each of your "facts" about a flat earth/universe seemed to be preceded by some sort of qualifier.

I also have to say that Seán Moncrieff is a very poor radio interviewer, with his repeated false starts and stuttering.  He'd obviously not done any of his own flat earth research before interviewing you—as any top interviewer should do.  He let you off far more lightly than I would've Michael, and let you get away with answering too many questions far too vaguely.

Unfortunately, and although you came across as very rational and articulate, I don't think this particular interview would've resulted in any more proponents of a flat earth—but which was Moncrieff's fault rather than yours.

I thank you for the link.   :)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
You were also unsure as to the sizes of the planets and the sun, other than to say that you didn't accept the usual flat earthers claim of 3,000km (not miles?) diameter. 
I think that Wilmore might have gotten a bit nervous and got mixed up.  FET generally claims that the sun and moon are 3000 mile high and 32 miles in diameter.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

The Believer

• TFES ∞!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 06:54:55 PM »
That was quite a well-mannered discussion. I appreciate the opportunity to hear that summary.
Find ALL the proof!

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:25:47 PM »
Wilmore: interesting interview. Thanks for sharing. You sounded pretty embarrassed when you started mentioning conspiracies.