Could it be that all "FE'ers" are ignorant?

• 33 Replies
« on: November 07, 2006, 06:07:24 AM »
Wikipedia says:
The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or argument by lack of imagination, is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or that a premise is false only because it has not been proven true.

The argument from personal incredulity, also known as argument from personal belief or argument from personal conviction, refers to an assertion that because one personally finds a premise unlikely or unbelievable, the premise can be assumed not to be true, or alternately that another preferred but unproven premise is true instead.
[/size][/color]

Hmmm... "The round earth theory is false only because it has not been proven true", "The flat earth "theory" is correct only because it has not been proven false". Oh, and that second paragraph obviously applies to all those FE'ers who don't believe that the earth is round from personal conviction. Not only are FE'ers committing logical fallacies, but they are are all ignorant - hey, don't blame me, wikipedia says so. Oh but wait! It actually states that "flat-out":

Wikipedia says:
The Flat Earth Society is an organization first based in England and later in Lancaster, California that advocates the belief that the Earth is not a sphere but is flat (see flat Earth). No modern scientists or religious groups have published support for this belief. This exposed the society to much outside ridicule and made it a popular metaphor for dogmatic thinking and unreasoning adherence to tradition, with the term "Flat-Earther" coming to refer to a person who rejects changes in the scientific consensus, and by extension one who lives in the past.

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 06:08:51 AM »
yes,

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 06:24:20 AM »
I think we can expect 0% of flat earthers to agree with this.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 06:27:05 AM »
Quote from: "phaseshifter"
I think we can expect 0% of flat earthers to agree with this.

Of course because... well, ummm... you see actually this is ONLY valid if an FE'er says it because... well, ummm... the burden of proof is on RE'ers because, hmm... because this is FE territory and therefore... ummm... it starts from the premise that well... RE'ers are wrong and well... PROVE THAT THE EARTH IS ROUND!  :?

Or something along these lines. Nonsense.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 06:32:12 AM »
Hey I get what you're saying. But about half of them won't understand why those statments are invalid ,and the other half are already aware of it, but will use it anyway because most of the time, it's the only thing they can fall back on. That and going off topic to avoid addressing a fact.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 06:39:55 AM »
Well, in all honesty I am just trying to find new topics to start threads with so that I can see what they reply and debate some more. The old threads about the shape of the earth have been won by RE'ers and I don't find that anything else should be added.

It's all about first impressions: when I first came onto this forum I thought it was a joke since it was called "The Flat Earth Society", yet all the threads were about how ridiculous this concept was and they were won by RE'ers. I just want to make sure that when new people come on here they don't actually fall for the nonsense posted in the FAQ.

Hey I get what you're saying.

I know, don't worry. I was just making a lame joke.  :lol:

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:02:52 AM »
I find it strange though that they would actually leave gaping holes in the FAQ.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Could it be that all "FE'ers" are ignorant?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 11:39:15 AM »
Quote from: "bibicul"
Hmmm... "The round earth theory is false only because it has not been proven true",

Can you quote an FEer saying this?

they are are all ignorant - hey, don't blame me, wikipedia says so. Oh but wait! It actually states that "flat-out":
Wikipedia says:
The Flat Earth Society is an organization first based in England and later in Lancaster, California that advocates the belief that the Earth is not a sphere but is flat (see flat Earth). No modern scientists or religious groups have published support for this belief. This exposed the society to much outside ridicule and made it a popular metaphor for dogmatic thinking and unreasoning adherence to tradition, with the term "Flat-Earther" coming to refer to a person who rejects changes in the scientific consensus, and by extension one who lives in the past.

Where is the ignorance of the members of the FES discussed in this paragraph?  You don't seem illiterate; are you just willing to lie to back up your defamatory claims?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 12:43:56 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Hmmm... "The round earth theory is false only because it has not been proven true",

they are are all ignorant - hey, don't blame me, wikipedia says so. Oh but wait! It actually states that "flat-out":
Wikipedia says:

Where is the ignorance of the members of the FES discussed in this paragraph?  You don't seem illiterate; are you just willing to lie to back up your defamatory claims?

It is implicitly stated; something you like to ignore.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"
... It actually states that "flat-out":

So, not "flat-out" then?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 12:50:14 PM »
... It actually states that "flat-out":

So, not "flat-out" then?

Ooo, good point.  You get a cookie of your choice.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 12:51:26 PM »
Ooo, good point.  You get a cookie of your choice.

Don't care which, as long as it's flat :)

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 01:39:34 PM »
your mother's flat
hy are people so stupid? i guess years of satelite evidence can't prove that the earth is round? satelites are a conspiracy? yea that's why we have cell phones and xm radio.

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 01:55:53 PM »
Quote from: "7string"
your mother's flat
..and so is your sister

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 06:02:28 PM »

I've asked him to do this in his other thread. He replied by saying "EnragedPenguin is asking me to waste time linking posts that common visitors on this website know exist. I am not answering to such rubbish."
Which I took as a "no."
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 06:03:58 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"
I've asked him to do this in his other thread. He replied by saying "EnragedPenguin is asking me to waste time linking posts that common visitors on this website know exist. I am not answering to such rubbish."
Which I took as a "no."

Ah, gotcha.  Everybody knows it's true, so it must be true.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 10:19:42 PM »
One word: Gravity.

End of story.

~D-Draw

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 12:57:38 AM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

Which I took as a "no."

That's funny coming from someone who has never proved his claims to be true. You argue that the earth is flat mate. It's a lot more important to back that up than to ask me to find quotes for you which deep down inside you know exist.  :)

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 12:59:31 AM »

Wikipedia says:

Pardon me, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

EDIT: I can definitely see how the two paraghraphs that I wrote are correlated. If you can't, well don't expect me to explain it to you; you never explained to me why the earth is flat, so I guess that what comes around goes around. If you're not happy with this second description from wikipedia, then just read the first paragraph that I posted over and over again. I'm sure you'll find out why you're ignorant in that one.

beast

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 01:19:45 AM »
What logical fallacy was this?

Just because you can't understand the logic that I used, that doesn't mean that it's a fallacy.  It could be that you're just not smart enough to understand.

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 01:32:45 AM »
Quote from: "beast"
What logical fallacy was this?

Just because you can't understand the logic that I used, that doesn't mean that it's a fallacy.  It could be that you're just not smart enough to understand.

It could be that you committed a logical fallacy. So far, nobody denied that except you, and even if they did I'm sure they could be proven wrong. The explanation for why you made a logical fallacy was already presented and it's straigh-forward. Looks like you're not smart enough to understand it.

beast

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 01:38:55 AM »
Why don't you point out this logical fallacy rather than talking about it? - Surely that shouldn't be hard.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 02:02:19 AM »
I did. I pointed it out to Erasmus last night. Don't make assumptions from ignorance. Do your research.

beast

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 02:26:57 AM »
Don't make accusation without backing them up.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/burden_of_proof

See, I'm backing up my statement that you shouldn't make accusations without backing them up.

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 02:49:18 AM »
Quote from: "beast"
Don't make accusation without backing them up.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/burden_of_proof

See, I'm backing up my statement that you shouldn't make accusations without backing them up.

How does that back up your argument? I told Erasmus how you made a logical fallacy, you just didn't bother to read it i.e. "Don't make assumptions from ignorance".

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/burden_of_proof says:
Outside a legal context, "burden of proof" means that someone suggesting a new theory or stating a claim must provide evidence to support it: it is not sufficient to say "you can't disprove this". Specifically, when anyone is making a bold claim, it is not someone else's responsibility to disprove the claim, but is rather the person's responsibility who is making the bold claim to prove it.

If anything, that goes on to prove that the burden of proof is on FE'ers. Thank you for linking something to which I've made reference numerous times.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 07:23:30 AM »
It's a lot more important to back that up than to ask me to find quotes for you which deep down inside you know exist.  :)

I can definitely see how the two paraghraphs that I wrote are correlated. If you can't, well don't expect me to explain it to you

Wow.  Please remind me never to vote for you if you run for government.  Those statements are nothing short of dangerous.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 07:27:23 AM »
Wow, you got me there. I'm sure you'll get everyone's vote when you make "Erasmus: fighting for a greater, flatter earth" part of your political campaign. People won't just assume that you're mentally challenged. No! They will trust you.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 07:36:55 AM »
Wow, you got me there. I'm sure you'll get everyone's vote when you make "Erasmus: fighting for a greater, flatter earth" part of your political campaign. People won't just assume that you're mentally challenged. No! They will trust you.

Good point.  My "Strength in Flatness" platform is much more likely to lead to totalitarianism than your "I don't have to explain myself to you" rhetoric.

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 07:59:54 AM »

Good point.  My "Strength in Flatness" platform is much more likely to lead to totalitarianism than your "I don't have to explain myself to you" rhetoric.

Actually, it would probably lead to you going to a mental institution, and definitely not campaigning as the leader of any other party but "The flat earth party" or something along these lines, in which case you will get the votes of thebeast, TheEngineer, DiegoDraw and a few others whose names I don't remember. In total, statistically 0% of all votes cast. Good job.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 08:25:54 AM »
Actually, it would probably lead to you going to a mental institution, and definitely not campaigning as the leader of any other party but "The flat earth party" or something along these lines, in which case you will get the votes of thebeast, TheEngineer, DiegoDraw and a few others whose names I don't remember. In total, statistically 0% of all votes cast. Good job.

So you don't contest my accusation that you are a fascist?