social interaction and personal relationships in a modern world

• 63 Replies

macrohard

• IQ over 180
As an FE, how do people react when you share your theories?  I'm referring to real life and in person relationships.

How do your coworkers respond?
Family members?
Potential romantic interests?

Do you tell them your views on the first date?  Do you keep it a secret forever due to fear of rejection from the ignorant and indoctrinated populace?  Would you be willing to be involved with someone who did not take your position seriously?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: social interaction and personal relationships in a modern world
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
As an FE, how do people react when you share your theories?  I'm referring to real life and in person relationships.

How do your coworkers respond?
Family members?
Potential romantic interests?

Do you tell them your views on the first date?  Do you keep it a secret forever due to fear of rejection from the ignorant and indoctrinated populace?  Would you be willing to be involved with someone who did not take your position seriously?
As far as workers go, it's about not putting out my thoughts on the table. It's all about, what if, as in: what if the Earth was something different. Or, what if space was different. Stuff like that. It can lead to a conversation where someone might say, "well, yeah, I suppose things could well be different in some aspects" rather than, " don't be stupid, it is what we are told."
My observation of stuff starting like this, is, people tend to question stuff and do not overly dismiss anything. Obviously you get the few who do, yet most are open to thought.
The odds would change significantly if I shouted, " well folks, the Earth is flatish and it's covered by a ice dome." That would be met with rolling eyes and a possible walk away talk of, " he's lost the plot, is he in some kind of cult or just going batty."

As for family members, it's basically the same thing. It's a case of "what if." I basically leave things open to discussion and use the 'what if' scenario to see how they think.
As a family member may say to me, " what if there is aliens on the moon and they told us never to go back." My answer is, "maybe - but what if they didn't go at all and just said they went because they don't have the capabilities to go."

What if's keep things sensible and basic without exciting any party into rash attacks or arguments.

As for romantic interests, it's probably best to simply talk about each others interests like music or whatever, rather than discussing theories, whether they are conspiracy or otherwise. If, after a period of time, your interests meet on some of that stuff, then it can be discussed. Until then, just keep it low key.

As for a love interest or even a friend, taking me seriously if I came out with what I do, I would expect nothing other than a giggle or a , " surely you don't believe that stuff, do you?"
I wouldn't expect any other answer.

The truth is, we are all ignorant of facts. We all have our own thoughts in many forms. We all have different ways of discussion of thoughts, face to face.
A forum allows us all to express our thoughts and to TYPE argue them. People can think what they want about them and put those thoughts into TYPE, knowing that a massive disagreement poses no physical harm and should pose no intimidation by anyone tryng to force an issue.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 03:02:12 PM by sceptimatic »

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:51 PM »
Please FE's! tell chicks straight that you think the world is flat. It'll cause laughing then she will see you're serious and eventually realize how stupid you are. She'll leave and no intercourse will be performed.

I cannot bare the idea of any of you reproducing!
I'm not trying to disprove gravity. I've succeeded in disproving it. It's called denpressure.

?

Goth

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:54 AM »
Please FE's! tell chicks straight that you think the world is flat. It'll cause laughing then she will see you're serious and eventually realize how stupid you are. She'll leave and no intercourse will be performed.

ausGeoff

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 10:43:48 AM »

Goth, that is considered low content posting.  Please refrain from posting on meme pics without any commentary.  Thanks. 

Pongo

• Planar Moderator

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 12:53:55 PM »
Disclaimer: I'm not a flat earther but I do have some strange beliefs and ideas which the can unsettle the indoctrinated.

With that out of the way, I'm happy for people to believe whatever they want. I don't want to push anything, merely ask questions and see if we can answer those questions. In the flesh, I always try to be friendly and humorous, even with the severely indoctrinated (of which I've met many). I take a slightly perverse pleasure in planting the seeds of doubt. It's surprisingly easy and fun.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

ausGeoff

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
I take a slightly perverse pleasure in planting the seeds of doubt. It's surprisingly easy and fun.

If it's supposedly "surprisingly easy" and—for you—"fun" then I suggest you attempt to sow your "seeds of doubt" in the minds of the 6,000,000 scientists who accept absolutely the spherical earth model.

You'll be sadly disappointed on both counts.  Sorry.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 01:42:19 PM »
I take a slightly perverse pleasure in planting the seeds of doubt. It's surprisingly easy and fun.

If it's supposedly "surprisingly easy" and—for you—"fun" then I suggest you attempt to sow your "seeds of doubt" in the minds of the 6,000,000 scientists who accept absolutely the spherical earth model.

You'll be sadly disappointed on both counts.  Sorry.

Ah, the strange agent appears, claiming that there are six million 'scientists' (whatever that means) and they all accept the spherical model. I hope a mod will deem his/her/its reply as low content and issue a ban.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

ausGeoff

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 01:56:31 PM »
Ah, the strange agent appears, claiming that there are six million 'scientists' (whatever that means) and they all accept the spherical model.

A mere six days ago, legion posted this comment as a result of one of my own comments:

As I have no time for confirmed idiots or Agents of the Strange, I'll be ignoring all of his posts from now on.

I knew he wouldn't be able to resist responding to my logical and considered opinions, and the truth of my empirical science LOL.  It just goes to show how much people like this lack the courage of their convictions.

Well done legion.   ;D   You've "ignored" me for 144 hours.

—And as a matter of interest, yes, there are an estimated 6 million accredited scientists in the world who fully accept the spherical earth model.  Unless you'd like to post some statistics of your own that disprove this?  If you can that is.

PS:
  As you seem confused by the term,  "scientist" refers to an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science. Scientists perform research toward a more comprehensive understanding of nature, including physical, mathematical and social realms.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »
Ah, the strange agent appears, claiming that there are six million 'scientists' (whatever that means) and they all accept the spherical model.

A mere six days ago, legion posted this comment as a result of one of my own comments:

As I have no time for confirmed idiots or Agents of the Strange, I'll be ignoring all of his posts from now on.

I knew he wouldn't be able to resist responding to my logical and considered opinions, and the truth of my empirical science LOL.  It just goes to show how much people like this lack the courage of their convictions.

Well done legion.   ;D   You've "ignored" me for 144 hours.

—And as a matter of interest, yes, there are an estimated 6 million accredited scientists in the world who fully accept the spherical earth model.  Unless you'd like to post some statistics of your own that disprove this?  If you can that is.

PS:
  As you seem confused by the term,  "scientist" refers to an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science. Scientists perform research toward a more comprehensive understanding of nature, including physical, mathematical and social realms.

Kindly provide the source for your "all six million 'scientists' accept the spherical earth model" assertion.

ausGeoff

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 02:28:19 PM »

Kindly provide the source for your "all six million 'scientists' accept the spherical earth model" assertion.

Uh... have you forgotten that you were going to ignore all of my posts as from 15 July?  Just can't resist eh?  LOL

Anyway... that 6 million figure comes from The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Washington DC.

As you're disputing my "all scientists accept the spherical earth model" claim, would you care to name for me—say—six accredited scientists that accept the flat earth model?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »

Uh... have you forgotten that you were going to ignore all of my posts as from 15 July?  Just can't resist eh?  LOL

Anyway... that 6 million figure comes from The American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Washington DC.

As you're disputing my "all scientists accept the spherical earth model" claim, would you care to name for me—say—six accredited scientists that accept the flat earth model?

I haven't made any claims about 'scientists' accepting anything. You have. That your number came from the AAAS is not enough. I'd like to see the report so I can determine whether it should be taken seriously.

?

tappet

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »

Tappet would like to know why The American Association for the Advancement of Science said they had 6 million scientists believing the earth is round. Were they discussing round versus flat earth?
Did they really say this?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 05:21:14 PM »

Can I just tell them they are flat?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

macrohard

• IQ over 180
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »
Probably would get a similar reaction

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Are these 6 million scientists, all astrophysicists or Earth shape experts or does their work vary?

ausGeoff

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:53 PM »
Are these 6 million scientists, all astrophysicists or Earth shape experts or does their work vary?

As I said earlier,  and as you too seem confused by the term sceptimatic, a "scientist" refers to an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science. Scientists perform research toward a more comprehensive understanding of nature, including physical, mathematical and social realms.

Their academic qualifications vary; Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Ph.D degree etc.  The point is that all scientists adhere to the scientific method.  The flat earth hypothesis does not satisfy any definition of the scientific method.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:21 AM »

As I said earlier,  and as you too seem confused by the term sceptimatic, a "scientist" refers to an individual who uses the scientific method. The person may be an expert in one or more areas of science. Scientists perform research toward a more comprehensive understanding of nature, including physical, mathematical and social realms.

Their academic qualifications vary; Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Ph.D degree etc.  The point is that all scientists adhere to the scientific method.  The flat earth hypothesis does not satisfy any definition of the scientific method.
So how many sceintists are actually professionally involved with the actual Earth shape and space?

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »

So how many sceintists are actually professionally involved with the actual Earth shape and space?
4, 395, 212
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »
The shape of the earth does not consume my life outside of this site.  I rarely discuss it unless one of my friends brings it up, which really happens anymore.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 01:59:02 PM »

I couldn't find an exact number of members, but there seem to be a fair number of them: http://www.iag-aig.org/
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:48 PM »
And of course geologists, geographers, cartographers, physicists and a host of others.

Anyway, I've given a number already.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 02:55:39 AM »

I have my Flat Earth Society membership certificate hanging on my bedroom wall.  It has not scared a girl out of my room yet, and I keep my membership card in my wallet just in case the subject comes up at a bar or something. 

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

All 'scientists' adhere to the scientific method? What about the ones who don't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Hoaxes_in_science
http://list25.com/25-greatest-scientific-hoaxes-in-history/
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn15012-seven-of-the-greatest-scientific-hoaxes.html#.U9KqK6bXarg

Good luck trying to wriggle out of this one.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »

All 'scientists' adhere to the scientific method? What about the ones who don't:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn15012-seven-of-the-greatest-scientific-hoaxes.html#.U9KqK6bXarg

I'm having a hard time finding any real scientists that performed these hoaxes in the links you provided.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »

I have my Flat Earth Society membership certificate hanging on my bedroom wall.  It has not scared a girl out of my room yet, and I keep my membership card in my wallet just in case the subject comes up at a bar or something.

Clearly jroa is relying on a woman to have a sense of humour, so I can see this being an effective way for him to pull.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Socratic Amusement

• An Exercise in Witty Exploration
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 12:33:28 PM »

If they are not utilizing the scientific method, then they are not being scientists.

Wow, that was hard.
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding any real scientists that performed these hoaxes in the links you provided.

You weren't trying hard enough. Or you're suffering from confirmation bias (quotes below taken from wikipedia link):

John William Heslop Harrison, FRS[1] (1881–1967), was Professor of Botany at King's College

The Schön scandal concerns German physicist Jan Hendrik Schön (born 1970 in Verden) who briefly rose to prominence after a series of apparent breakthroughs with semiconductors that were later discovered to be fraudulent.

Haruko Obokata (小保方 晴子 Obokata Haruko?, born June 29, 1983) is a Japanese stem-cell biologist and the Research Unit Leader of the Laboratory for Cellular Reprogramming at RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology

Scott S. Reuben (born 1958) is an American anesthesiologist who was Professor of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at Tufts University in Boston, Massachusetts and chief of acute pain at Baystate Medical Center in Springfield, Massachusetts before being sentenced to prison for healthcare fraud.

Eoörnis pterovelox gobiensis is a fictional bird, a humorous hoax by Lester W. Sharp, professor of botany, Cornell University, United States.

Is that enough, or would you like more...?