Speed of light

• 17 Replies
?

guv

Speed of light
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:16:12 PM »
I assume that the speed of light is well known to FEers and not too hotly contested. Light is a good measuring tool on Earth and in space. This opens up room for debate on these pages. I have read that the moons of Saturn have been used by sailors at sea to tell the time if their chronometers stop working. These moons can be seen with a home telescope and their orbital periods well known for a long time. These facts make it possible to measure the change in distance between Earth and Saturn over a period of time, see where I am coming from.   

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Speed of light
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:27:57 AM »
I assume that the speed of light is well known to FEers and not too hotly contested.
Why would you assume that?  ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

guv

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:57:40 AM »
Feeling lucky.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:59:23 AM »
I assume that the speed of light is well known to FEers and not too hotly contested. Light is a good measuring tool on Earth and in space. This opens up room for debate on these pages. I have read that the moons of Saturn have been used by sailors at sea to tell the time if their chronometers stop working. These moons can be seen with a home telescope and their orbital periods well known for a long time. These facts make it possible to measure the change in distance between Earth and Saturn over a period of time, see where I am coming from.

I don't see where you are coming from. Can you explain?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

guv

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Dead easy. It takes light a few minutes to get from the sun to earth so it takes twice that to cross our orbit. The rise and set times of Saturn's moons will be later when we are the other side of our orbit. This will prove that the sun is a lot further away than FET wants us to believe.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Do you have a source for sailors using the moons of Saturn for anything?  Seems like it'd be problematic to use a telescope on a ship.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

guv

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »
Are you ducking or dodging the subject, it must sound like a hard one for the FET non sense. The book that gave me the idea is  IN QUEST OF THE SUN by Alain Gerbault  first issued October 1930. It is a good read.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »
I'm simply asking you to back up a claim you made.  Is that too much to ask?
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 11:51:25 PM »
I have not seen that the speed of light is an absolute constant from RE'ers or FE'ers.  In fact, I think everyone agrees that the speed of light changes depending on the medium the light is traveling through. 

?

guv

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »
Your dead right jroa but in a vacuum it don't matter. Good to see you know a bit.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »
I would be nice if there was a homogeneous vacuum everywhere in the universe, but since not, then it does not matter. 

?

guv

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 01:06:45 AM »
So is the ice dome now going to flex by 300 000 000 Km every 14 months to fit.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »
lol, ice dome?  Who said I believe in the ice dome?  You are confusing me for someone else. 

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »
I would be nice if there was a homogeneous vacuum everywhere in the universe, but since not, then it does not matter.

Although we've had this discussion before, what about the very repeatable experiments of a radio/laser moon bounce of which the results are always predictable? It shows, very clearly, that the mean distance of the Earth from the moon is 384,000km.

How is this explainable/compatible with a FE?

I bet you cannot respond to this without mention of the mythical aether which was how you derailed the discussion the last time around.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 01:32:00 AM »
Radio and/or laser beams go through a changing medium.  I know that you like to think that your round Earth calculations are just law, but the medium changes, does it not? 

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:44 AM »
Radio and/or laser beams go through a changing medium.  I know that you like to think that your round Earth calculations are just law, but the medium changes, does it not?

The medium may matter, but all you are doing is using a red herring. Through a very dense medium, like water, light slows down by ~30%. So, even if you had such a slowdown for light passing through our atmosphere into the vacuum of space, a 30% slowdown wouldn't even come close to bridging the disparity you have. Unless, of course, you want to claim there is unknown medium that light/radios waves pass through that slows light upwards of ~99% to bring about the results of every radio/laser moon bounce experiment ever conducted?

So, without derailing and/or red herrings and/or non sequitors, are you able to explain exactly what medium slows down light to the extent you need it to?

?

guv

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 04:48:18 AM »
Here are some old time farts using a moon of Jupiter to work out the speed of light.

The first quantitative estimate of the speed of light was made in 1676 by Rømer (see Rømer's determination of the speed of light).[83][84] From the observation that the periods of Jupiter's innermost moon Io appeared to be shorter when the Earth was approaching Jupiter than when receding from it, he concluded that light travels at a finite speed, and estimated that it takes light 22 minutes to cross the diameter of Earth's orbit. Christiaan Huygens combined this estimate with an estimate for the diameter of the Earth's orbit to obtain an estimate of speed of light of 220000 km/s, 26% lower than the actual value.[105]

In his 1704 book Opticks, Isaac Newton reported Rømer's calculations of the finite speed of light and gave a value of "seven or eight minutes" for the time taken for light to travel from the Sun to the Earth (the modern value is 8 minutes 19 seconds).[122] Newton queried whether Rømer's eclipse shadows were coloured; hearing that they were not, he concluded the different colours travelled at the same speed. In 1729, James Bradley discovered the aberration of light.[85] From this effect he determined that light must travel 10,210 times faster than the Earth in its orbit (the modern figure is 10,066 times faster) or, equivalently, that it would take light 8 minutes 12 seconds to travel from the Sun to the Earth.[

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 08:42:37 AM »
Are you suggesting that the moon bounce formulas do not take the medium change (among other things) into consideration?
In actuality, the round-trip time of about 2½ seconds is affected by the relative motion of the Earth and the Moon, the rotation of the Earth, lunar libration, weather, polar motion, propagation delay through Earth's atmosphere, the motion of the observing station due to crustal motion and tides, velocity of light in various parts of air and relativistic effects.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.