Flushing a toilet.

• 9 Replies
Flushing a toilet.
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »
If I flush a toilet in New York the water drains clockwise. If I flush a toilet in Australia it drains counter clockwise.
Why?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Re: Flushing a toilet.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
If I flush a toilet in New York the water drains clockwise. If I flush a toilet in Australia it drains counter clockwise.
Why?

This isn't even true. Please make better arguments.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »
Well, I have tried a basin drain experiment in both places. So yea maybe a toilet isn't the best way to test it but it is true in a flat basin.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:47:08 AM »
I actually agree with rottingroom for a change.  Have a quick read here.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
The earth rotates at 1000 mph or something like that and this seemingly big number makes FE'rs think we should be feeling the effects of that intuitively. The speed of that system is irrelevant though. What matters is it's rate of rotation which we all know is only once per day. This is extremely slow and the earth is extremely large so objects that are affected by the coriolis need to be under it's influence for long amounts of time or be traveling over relatively large areas.

A toilet flushing is neither of those things. Toilets do drain in a clockwise or counterclockwise rotation most of the time but this is because of the shape of the bowl or the direction in which water shoots out from the top of the bowl. Some toilets have no rotation at all.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:56:31 AM by rottingroom »

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
I actually agree with rottingroom for a change.  Have a quick read here.

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.asp

I'm sure you agree with everything veteran RE'rs say ;)

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 12:07:08 PM »
Why?
You buy special toilets depending on where you are?  Maybe you take your own toilet that allows you to set the flush rotation yourself?

This is all speculation on my part, but what we can be sure of is it has nothing to do with the coriolis effect.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 05:37:25 AM »
The earth rotates at 1000 mph or something like that and this seemingly big number makes FE'rs think we should be feeling the effects of that intuitively. The speed of that system is irrelevant though. What matters is it's rate of rotation which we all know is only once per day.

And why does it rotate? Because the earth is round.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 05:49:23 AM »
The earth rotates at 1000 mph or something like that and this seemingly big number makes FE'rs think we should be feeling the effects of that intuitively. The speed of that system is irrelevant though. What matters is it's rate of rotation which we all know is only once per day.

as already stated and explained away, no, that is not why.

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 08:07:05 AM »

No, because of the shape of the bowl.  Although the earth is round.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.