The iron core of earth...

• 2 Replies
The iron core of earth...
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:58:39 PM »
From what I have read the FE has an iron core that holds a magnetic field. I think the FEer agrees the thats what gives us the magnetic north and south poles.
Still the FE description confuses me. Why doesn't the south magnetic pole work the same as the north?
Does the Magnetic South Pole stretch along the outside edge of the earth? If so, can you replicate that with an electromagnet?

Re: The iron core of earth...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
I'd also be interested to hear the answer to this. I'm thinking about normal magnetic flux lines around a bar magnet (which is an alright approximation to the earths field) and I can't understand how you'd get compasses that work in the way we observe.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
Re: The iron core of earth...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
You can actually replicate it to some extent. It's what is called a radial magnetic field, meaning the magnetic field lines extend from the center to the edge. Apparently you can make permanent disc magnets like this too. Of course, there's never been any explanation as to why the Flat Earth would have such a magnetic field. And I haven't seen any evidence that the Earth's magnetic field actually conforms to what you'd expect from this kind of magnet. It's the same old thing really - we don't know exactly what it is, other than it perfectly matches what you'd expect on a Round Earth, while not actually being caused by anything to do with the Earth being round.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?