How does flat earth theory explain Halley's Comet?

• 87 Replies
Re: How does flat earth theory explain Halley's Comet?
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
Occam's razor tells me
William of Ockham will be spinning in his grave so fast you should be able hear him.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
You guys know that Halley was a well know hollow-Earther, right?
What's that got to do with his correct prediction regarding a comet?

if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
Well, how does hollow Earth theory explain Halley's comet?

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »
A nonsense question.  Here you have one: how do hats explain Christmas?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
You guys know that Halley was a well known hollow-Earther, right?

He had a theory involving a hollow Earth with various layers and shells in an attempt to explain variations in the magnetic field. Nobody really had any idea what the interior of the Earth was like at the time. At any rate, he was right about the comet, which is what's being discussed here.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »
How is it a nonsense question?

I am correct.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »

Is that a trick question itself? Because the Earth's composition and structure has no bearing on the trajectory of the comet, nor did it figure into any of Halley's calculations on the comet.

Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »

Is that a trick question itself? Because the Earth's composition and structure has no bearing on the trajectory of the comet, nor did it figure into any of Halley's calculations on the comet.
Well then, you seemed to have answered the thread's main question, haven't you?

I am correct.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
So th3rm0m3t3r0, in your version of FET, everything in the solar system, including the Sun, is the same except the Earth is flat? Interesting, I need to hear more about this one.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »
You guys know that Halley was a well known hollow-Earther, right?
You know that Johnathan Swift was well known for his endorsement of cannibalism, right?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »
Newton was a big fan of Alchemy, Einstein thought QM couldn't be right and Tesla told people he could build a death ray and power the world wirelessly on the cheap.

If your laws of motion and gravitation get results then they'll keep getting used and taught. If your rambling about alchemy doesn't do shit then it won't. The person's name hasn't got a thing to do with it.
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 02:55:14 AM »
ausgeoff wrote:

It also appeared prior to the 1066 invasion of England by William the Conqueror, who believed the comet heralded his future success. Thus was the comet included on the Bayeux Tapestry—which chronicles the invasion in William's honour.

You haven't done your homework, yet you have the audacity to make such statements.

http://www.ilya.it/chrono/pages/bayeuxen.htm

And now it is very well known how the Anglo-Saxon chronicle was falsified centuries later.

Few scientists remember the original debate between Immanuel Velikovsky and Carl Sagan, where the creator of the original Cosmos series was debunked on each and every statement on cosmology made later in the series:

http://www.varchive.org/lec/aaas/transcripts.htm (original debate)

http://www.varchive.org/lec/aaas/afterword.htm (Velikovsky's final response and notes)
http://www.varchive.org/lec/aaas/challenge.htm

Immanuel Velikovsky was one of the most emiment scientists of the 20th Century.

For a person, like yourself, who had no idea about the correct notion of the center of gravity of a body, to comment about others, in any way, means you have delusions of grandeur.

Your ignorance on all matters of physics is well documented here.

Let us now get back to the topic of this thread.

K. Vshekhsviatsky was the Director of the Kiev Observatory.

His papers do demonstrate that ALL COMETS were created by eruptions of planetary bodies, and not by the capture theory.

On page 107 he estimates with great accuracy the age of the Halley comet:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1962PASP...74..106V/0000107.000.html

Comets, Small Bodies, and Problems of the Solar System, full article
K. Vshekhsviatsky, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific Vol. 74 (1962)

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1958SvA.....2..433V&classic=YES

ON THE CAPTURE HYPOTHESIS OF SHORT PERIOD COMETS

There is no such thing as the Oort cloud.

By comparing the observed luminosity of the periodic comets on their subsequent returns, he found it failing and their masses rapidly diminishing by loss of matter to the space through which they travel; the head of the comet emits tails on each passage close to the sun and then dissipates the matter of the tails without recovery. Thus Vshekhsviatsky concluded that comets of short duration originated in the solar system, were not captured from outside of that system—a point to which the majority of astronomers still adhere—and that they came into existence by explosion from Jupiter and Saturn, and to a smaller extent by explosion from the smaller planets, like Venus and Mars.

Now, the age of the Solar System must be less than the estimated upper age of comets.

Then, given the absolute fact that the age of the short-period comets CANNOT EXCEED a few thousands of years, the age of the solar system must be the same.

The million-fold brightening of Holmes 17P has put another dent in conventional comet theory.

On the issue of comets NASA has never acknowledged the failures of the standard theory. We are still told that comets are "dirty snowballs" that formed billions of years ago in a theoretical "Oort cloud." The idea makes no sense and has been repeatedly falsified by the observed behaviors of comets.

A collage of Comet Holmes images taken between October 27 and December 14, 2007, showing the comet's changing
appearance from 3 days to 6 weeks after its outburst, its rapid expansion even as its surface brightness  decreased.

In October of 2007, Holmes suddenly and unexpectedly brightened by a factor of a million. In less then 24 hours, it grew from a small 17th magnitude comet to a magnitude of 2.5, so large it was easily visible to the naked eye on Earth. Holmes' coma continued expanding until by mid-November of '07 it had become the largest object in the solar system, vastly larger than the Sun. The coma's diameter had grown from 28 thousand kilometers to 7 million km.

The cloud of gas wasn't "held together" by it's own gravity, it was just all going the same direction to begin with!

You fail to understand basic comet astrophysics.

The photographs above do show that the Holmes P17 comet's cloud of gas did keep its spherical shape for several days at a time.

How does such a gravitationally minuscule body hold in place a uniform, spherical coma 7 million kilometers in diameter?

Your harebrained analysis is astounding.

In an explosion, as the particles rush outward from the central region, they would keep getting farther and farther apart from one another; certainly the spherical shape documented above, 7 million kilometers in diameter, could not be kept at all given the size of the Holmes P17 comet. A clear defiance of attractive gravity.

But, as can be readily seen from the photographs, the spherical size of the comet's cloud of gas WAS MAINTAINED FOR WEEKS.

If Holmes' flare-up was the result of a collapse or explosion (as some scientists speculated) why was the ejected material not asymmetrical (as one would anticipate from an explosion)? Why did the claimed explosion not produce a variety of fragmentary sizes instead of the extremely fine dust that was actually observed?

Yes, there is an alternative theory which does explain the defiance of attractive gravity by the comet Holmes P17: the electric comet theory.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:01:24 AM by sandokhan »

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:36 AM »
A controversial student of mythology and author is not "one of the most emiment scientists of the 20th Century." even if you write it on a forum. Sorry, paste it on a forum.

Your second favourite super-official-science-expert is a man whose only credentials present on the internet are in a handful of creationist and pseudo-science websites quoting each other about how great he was. He wrote a proposal in the 60s suggesting that comets might come from planets. It turns out that they don't. It doesn't matter how many times you paste the same thing, it will never make every comet trajectory ever accurately measured start in a planet rather than the outer solar system. That's where they come from and its where they return to. Where they were formed initially isn't known because it's really dark and far away out there and the original formation of the solar system was some time ago now. Claiming that some guy cracked the case 50 years ago because you like his story best and that a whole profession has been chewing doorknobs ever since doesn't make you a bibliographical auteur, it makes you gullible.

The coma of comet Holmes after it's outbusrt is only vaguely spherical which is the shape it ought to be and no, it isn't being constrained in size gravitationally, you are the only person who suggested that it was. Why is that? If it is being constrained in size at all, which I'm dubious about, perhaps there's an electrostatic component? It's an interesting question, but one new phenomena that hasn't yet been well studied hardly means that a crank who stitches myths and debates into bestsellers must be right and the earth must be flat. It just means that a new thing happened and we aren't sure why yet.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:16:55 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »

sandokhan

• Flat Earth Sultan
  • Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:27 AM »
You have a poor knowledge of the history of science.

In 1962, Science' magazine published a letter from Prof. Valentine Bargmann and Lloyd Motz "On the Recent Discoveries Concerning Jupiter and Venus": acknowledging Velikovsky's predictions on radio noises from Jupiter, and the heat of Venus.

In 1963, Professor H. H. Hess, then Chairman of the Space Board of the National Academy of Science, wrote to Velikovsky:

"I am not about to be converted to your form of reasoning though it certainly has had successes. You have after all predicted that Jupiter would be a source of radio noise, that Venus would have a high surface temperature, that the sun and bodies of the solar system would have large electrical charges and several other such predictions. Some of these predictions were said to be impossible when you made them. All of them were predicted long before proof that they were correct came to hand. Conversely I do not know of any specific prediction you made that has since been proven to be false. I suspect the merit lies in that you have a good basic background in the natural sciences and you are quite uninhibited by the prejudices and probability taboos which confine the thinking of most of us.
"Whether you are right or wrong I believe you deserve a fair hearing."

K. Vshekhsviatsky was the leading expert in comet astrophysics as his works clearly demonstrate this.

Two months after the discovery of the ring around Jupiter, the Soviet Union claimed joint credit for the discovery, contending that Vsekhsviatskii had predicted the ring’s existence as early as 1960 in a journal called Izvestia of the Armenian Academy of Sciences. The passage from the relevant paper is as follows:

‘The existence of active ejection processes in the Jupiter system, demonstrated by comet astronomy, gives grounds for assuming that Jupiter is encircled by comet and meteorite material in the form of a ring similar to the ring of Saturn.’

Despite the fact of his priority, Vsekhsviatskii’s name has remained conspicuously absent from the scientific literature pertaining to comets and planetary rings.

He did demonstrate that the capture theory is completely wrong.

On page 107 he estimates with great accuracy the age of the Halley comet:

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu//full/1962PASP...74..106V/0000107.000.html

Comets, Small Bodies, and Problems of the Solar System, full article
K. Vshekhsviatsky, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific Vol. 74 (1962)

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1958SvA.....2..433V&classic=YES

ON THE CAPTURE HYPOTHESIS OF SHORT PERIOD COMETS

His demonstration stands correct to this day.

All the comets do come from planets, read his papers.

His expulsion theory of comets was considered to be too advanced for the scientific period of the 60s, and was put on hold, until a better understanding the subject was to be gained.

But today we have the electric comet theory: Comets are the result of electrical discharge machining of planetary bodies that occurs in the catastrophic evolution of planetary orbits. It is far too simplistic to assume that the planets were formed along with the Sun and remained in their present orbits ever since.

Now finally his expulsion theory can be explained.

"Comets are perhaps at once the most spectacular and the least well understood members of the solar system."
M. Neugebauer, Jet Propulsion Laboratory

The metaphor of a “dirty snowball” does not fit what we know about comets in the space age. A vast library of data now contradicts the standard assumption of an electrically neutral comet in an electrically neutral solar system. It is no longer useful to ignore the electrical properties of plasma.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/00subjectx.htm#Comets

The thunderbolts website is anti-NASA for the following simple reason:

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

How the Apollo mission was faked in a miserable way: a photograph cut-out was pasted onto the window to make it look like Earth in space

And there are plenty more videos, including the faking of the Soviet space missions.

COMET WILD 2

Electricity, not heat, is at work on the surface of Wild 2.

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2004/arch/040805electric-comet.htm

The frequent erratic motions of comets—in apparent violation of gravitational laws—have long been attributed to the “jets” seen erupting from the nucleus. The distinguished astronomer Fred Whipple first suggested that jets from comets could account for unpredictable motions. As summarized by Francis Reddy in an obituary the day after Whipple’s death in 2004, the astronomer believed that “The jets supply a force that can either speed or slow a comet, depending on the way it rotates — a force unaccounted for in the astronomical calculations used in predicting comet returns”

The coma of comet Holmes after it's outbusrt is only vaguely spherical which is the shape it ought to be and no, it isn't being constrained in size gravitationally, you are the only person who suggested that it was. Why is that? If it is being constrained in size at all, which I'm dubious about, perhaps there's an electrostatic component?

Then, if there is an electrostatic component, the accepted theory of attractive gravity flies out of the window.

But it is spherical in shape, as the following photographs do prove it.

November 17, 2007

November 9, 2007

October 31, 2007

COMET HOLMES 17P CLOUD SPHERICAL IN SHAPE

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/space/2007/11/is-comet-holmes-bigger-than-sun.html

http://www.racingshadow.com/CometMet/17P_Holmes/17P_Holmes.html

The photographs above do show that the Holmes P17 comet's cloud of gas did keep its spherical shape for several days at a time.

How does such a gravitationally minuscule body hold in place a uniform, spherical coma 7 million kilometers in diameter?

In an explosion, as the particles rush outward from the central region, they would keep getting farther and farther apart from one another; certainly the spherical shape documented above, 7 million kilometers in diameter, could not be kept at all given the size of the Holmes P17 comet. A clear defiance of attractive gravity.

But, as can be readily seen from the photographs, the spherical size of the comet's cloud of gas WAS MAINTAINED FOR WEEKS.

If Holmes' flare-up was the result of a collapse or explosion (as some scientists speculated) why was the ejected material not asymmetrical (as one would anticipate from an explosion)? Why did the claimed explosion not produce a variety of fragmentary sizes instead of the extremely fine dust that was actually observed?

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »
Those trying to look up "K. Vshekhsviatsky" might be helped by knowing the correct spelling of his name: Sergei Konstantinovich Vsekhsviatskii.

Professor S. Vsekhsviatskii was indeed a former director of the Kiev Observatory and head of the astronomy department at Kiev University.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2014, 10:35:45 AM »
Once again for the cheap seats: Sandy, you're the only person here who has suggested that the cloud was kept near the comet by gravity. You suggested it, then said that it couldn't be the case. This is an argument you have started, won and lost entirely against yourself.

The cloud really isn't spherical, even if you post a few pictures where we're looking at it head on and can't see the tail. Also, if that's your plan, avoid ones where it isn't quite head on to the camera and we can see the tail:

Furthermore, probably best not to try it after a picture like this:

has been posted practically on the same page.

So, it's not a sphere. It is very smooth and very round, which is interesting as it means the event must have been quite uniform. However, I'd rather wait until we observe the mechanism or until a hypothesis turns out to hold true for this and some future comets we observe. Or even until some new data comes in from another source, like an intercept mission or something that might clear the whole thing up. "This comet is a bit of a mystery." doesn't mean "The earth must be flat." and nor does it mean "We must abandon all astronomy."

It doesn't matter how many times you link to his work from the 60s, making an as yet untested prediction =/= proof. He calculated his estimate of the maximum age of Halley's comet. Cool. When it's age is independently calculated to the same value by other hypotheses that independently match other separate observations, maybe we can say he's onto something.

Those trying to look up "K. Vshekhsviatsky" might be helped by knowing the correct spelling of his name: Sergei Konstantinovich Vsekhsviatskii.
Awesome, actual information, thanks for that. I'll read into him a bit.

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »
The cloud really isn't spherical, even if you post a few pictures where we're looking at it head on and can't see the tail. Also, if that's your plan, avoid ones where it isn't

Remember fe'ers don't understand the true definition of perspective. They use the phrase for stuff they can't explain.
I'm not trying to disprove gravity. I've succeeded in disproving it. It's called denpressure.

ausGeoff

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »

Is there any chance of a moderator telling sandokhan to cease and desist from posting veritable reams of copypasta here?  Plus a dozen links to other sites with nearly every post.

It's more than obvious the guy can't think for himself.  Which is why he hasn't posted one, single, original comment on the forum.

His latest Monty Python entry?  "How the Apollo mission was faked in a miserable way: a photograph cut-out was pasted onto the window to make it look like Earth in space."

Actually his stuff is funnier than Cleese, Chapman, or Idle could've come up with.  Or maybe not.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2014, 01:01:58 AM »
Geoff, he is still promoting discussion when he does chime in. As evidenced in this thread and others.

Although the threads were he is the only one posting are becoming a bit creepy. They feel like a creepy graveyard where other posts cannot survive under pounds of ridiculous copy pasta. As a result, I avoid the fora they are posted in.
Read the FAQS.

ausGeoff

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2014, 01:17:52 AM »

Although the threads were he is the only one posting are becoming a bit creepy. They feel like a creepy graveyard where other posts cannot survive under pounds of ridiculous copy pasta. As a result, I avoid the fora they are posted in.

Not a bad idea.  There is a "creepy" factor to his comments—like a wraith's voice at midnight.     :D

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2014, 03:20:09 AM »
I don't find it creepy, to me it just seems like an unscrupulous lawyer firing every bit of paperwork, every request, every confirmation they can at their opponent, entering every document into evidence that they think of just to bury the other side with more stuff than they would ever respond to. (I saw it on TV!) Or maybe like a US senator filibustering, droning on and on and on about any old shit until either the deadline passes or everyone loses the will to live.

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:27 AM »
It's just a bunch of irrelevant garbage anyway. Which makes it even more annoying to read after you find out that the only person not understanding is sandokhan himself.

BTW off topic a bit but I found this image quite interesting. Can anyone tell me whats wrong in this picture?

November 17, 2007

I'm not trying to disprove gravity. I've succeeded in disproving it. It's called denpressure.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 04:14:33 AM »
The fact that the moon has been multiplied into the scene so its dark areas have vanished, yeah I couldn't be bothered to get into that before...

Ah, it looks like he's taken the image from an astronomy site which had put the moon there for scale -  to show their relative apparent sizes in the sky.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:17:22 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »

Moosedrool

• Ice Wall Guardian
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2014, 04:17:42 AM »
The fact that the moon has been multiplied into the scene so its dark areas have vanished, yeah I couldn't be bothered to get into that before...

Either that or this camera has low blood pressure.  :D

Ah, it looks like he's taken the image from an astronomy site which had put the moon there for scale -  to show their relative apparent sizes in the sky.

Is still funny cause I thought NASA are the ones trying to deceive us. lol Flat earth society. What you make of this astronomy club?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:23:33 AM by Moosedrool »

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »

Is still funny cause I thought NASA are the ones trying to deceive us. lol Flat earth society. What you make of this astronomy club?
Is that astronomy club going into space?  ???

I am correct.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 01:49:34 PM »

I understand they have their Virgin Galactic flights pre-booked already.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 01:51:20 PM »

What is it, the millionaire astronomer's club?

I am correct.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 03:43:30 PM »

What is it, the millionaire astronomer's club?
No, but I hear that they have some pretty awesome bake sales.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.