Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?

• 26 Replies
« on: June 07, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »

The Gnostic wing of Christianity, if it can even be called that today, has quite a few differences to Christianity and Catholicism.

If the old Gnostic Christians were here, they would hardly recognize what has happened to the original Orthodox Catholic Church or it's various offshoots in Protestantism or Islam. The Gnostic Christian Jesus would have a fit and would be quite disappointed I think. I know that this Gnostic Christian is.

The two main differences that moved the old Christians to kill Gnostic Christians and burn their scriptures was literalism in reading scriptures and the fact that the Gnostic version of Jesus was a Universalist.

That Gnostic Christian Jesus, and the Gnostic Christians of that flavor, (there are likely as many Gnostic sects as Christian sects), sees a spark of God in all people including women and gays. That fact, to me, makes Gnostic Christianity a more desirable denomination of Christianity than all the rest.

If a religion cannot abide with equality of the sexes then to my mind it is not a just religion and is not worthy of the support of moral people. Inequality is an immoral position and most of the Abrahamic cults are of that immoral persuasion.

As the superior Catholic theology, it is my hope that Gnostic Christianity will eventually bury the non-egalitarian and immoral Christian cults as their members recognize that equality is the right moral system for all to live under.

If you have investigated Gnostic Christianity, do you agree that from a moral POV, they are the superior Christian theology thanks to equality and Universalism?

Regards
 DL

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
Re: Have you investigated Gnostic Christianity?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »
Could you explain some of the differences between Christianity and Gnostic Christianity?
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 10:23:25 AM »
Could you explain some of the differences between Christianity and Gnostic Christianity?

Equality of all is a major difference.

We also look at morals differently.

For instance, we do not believe in human sacrifice or punishing the innocent instead of the guilty. Those are what Christianity are based on with the vicarious redemption of Jesus. while those are Christian morals.

This link shows some of the other core beliefs but please allow for some variance.

http://www.thesongofgod.com/tgc/basic_beliefs.html

Regards
DL

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:57 AM »
I was just reading this article http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2014/08/05/guest-post-the-cosmos-bruno-and-thrice-blessed/ and it seems to me that you might share some views with Giordano Bruno. Anyway, I think you might like the article.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
I was just reading this article http://freethoughtblogs.com/dispatches/2014/08/05/guest-post-the-cosmos-bruno-and-thrice-blessed/ and it seems to me that you might share some views with Giordano Bruno. Anyway, I think you might like the article.

Like Gnostic Christians, he may have been ahead of his time. Who can say how far we would have progressed if Christianity had not created the dark ages and stupid literal reading of scriptures.

Regards
DL

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
I have looked into it and I'd say 'Gnostic Christianity' is not a form of Christianity at all judging by adherence to the very 'basic' principles of Christianity: http://christianity.about.com/od/christiandoctrines/a/basicdoctrines.htm

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 07:42:07 AM »
I have looked into it and I'd say 'Gnostic Christianity' is not a form of Christianity at all judging by adherence to the very 'basic' principles of Christianity: http://christianity.about.com/od/christiandoctrines/a/basicdoctrines.htm

When compared to literalist Christianity, you are correct.

You might want to remember that Catholic means universal and that the Christian church is a divisive one and not universalist at all.

Rome decided that it wanted a literalist church with only one way of thinking, --- four main gospels, --- and they killed all who opposed their way of thinking and burned their scriptures.

Gnostic Christians despise the immorality that has crept into Christianity through Rome and Constantine's policies like the Trinity concept.

We are Christian only because our myths are from the same roots as Christianity's myths.

Regards
DL

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 10:02:07 AM »
If you want to be accurate if being based on Christian myth is all it takes to be Christian then all religions would be called Christians as all religions have Christianity as their cornerstone no matter if they want to admit it or not.

As for a church, church is literally a union of people of common belief, church is not a place of worship and obviously people will disagree about many teachings but all teachings must be understood together if they are to be understood at all. Christianity to me hinges on the fact that Jesus Christ himself was the Father in the flesh and that he was the first and only direct creation of God all everyone else was created through him and by him (AKA Jesus is the Universe and he created all that dwells within his physical body which is why we call him God incarnate as it is the physical manifestation of God that is Jesus, however we call his human form as Jesus which means God's physical universal form became a human form however even though God became the Universe and became a man, God never ceased being an infinite, invisible source of direction and inspiration so the holy spirit is the inter-working of God and Jesus together through time (the holy spirit) (let us make man Gen 1:26) (which is referred to as the 'Mother' Proverbs 9, Revelations 12).

Also the #1 book I'd recommend to read in the Bible if you have any questions at all about the relationship between God and Jesus is Paul's Letter to the Colossians: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=col+1&version=AKJV

Also speaking of Satan he was and is not a star, he was the Son of Morning or light bearer which is the actual Sun which derives none of it's power from within as their is no light (truth, illumination) within him (John 8:44).

However it sounds like you don't even believe in what the Bible is trying to say so if that's true there is literally nothing I can do that will change your mind as if the Bible is not good enough to change your mind then nothing will be. However try not to think that I am preaching at you, I am simply trying to express my belief without trying to sound preachy even though it is a very strong belief which is in my opinion absolute which means by nature it's the exact opposite of tolerance which means truth is a divisor that will divide truth from lies where tolerance is the combination of truth and lies under one big umbrella.

However if you do find error in my teachings then I will take any canonical (including the Books of Enoch and Jubilees) Biblical scripture as a serious form of reproof. 

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 07:48:38 AM »
If you want to be accurate if being based on Christian myth is all it takes to be Christian then all religions would be called Christians as all religions have Christianity as their cornerstone no matter if they want to admit it or not.

Christianity is not the oldest tradition so your statement cannot be correct.

As for a church, church is literally a union of people of common belief, church is not a place of worship and obviously people will disagree about many teachings but all teachings must be understood together if they are to be understood at all. Christianity to me hinges on the fact that Jesus Christ himself was the Father in the flesh and that he was the first and only direct creation of God all everyone else was created through him and by him (AKA Jesus is the Universe and he created all that dwells within his physical body which is why we call him God incarnate as it is the physical manifestation of God that is Jesus, however we call his human form as Jesus which means God's physical universal form became a human form however even though God became the Universe and became a man, God never ceased being an infinite, invisible source of direction and inspiration so the holy spirit is the inter-working of God and Jesus together through time (the holy spirit) (let us make man Gen 1:26) (which is referred to as the 'Mother' Proverbs 9, Revelations 12).

Also the #1 book I'd recommend to read in the Bible if you have any questions at all about the relationship between God and Jesus is Paul's Letter to the Colossians: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=col+1&version=AKJV

Also speaking of Satan he was and is not a star, he was the Son of Morning or light bearer which is the actual Sun which derives none of it's power from within as their is no light (truth, illumination) within him (John 8:44).

However it sounds like you don't even believe in what the Bible is trying to say so if that's true there is literally nothing I can do that will change your mind as if the Bible is not good enough to change your mind then nothing will be. However try not to think that I am preaching at you, I am simply trying to express my belief without trying to sound preachy even though it is a very strong belief which is in my opinion absolute which means by nature it's the exact opposite of tolerance which means truth is a divisor that will divide truth from lies where tolerance is the combination of truth and lies under one big umbrella.

However if you do find error in my teachings then I will take any canonical (including the Books of Enoch and Jubilees) Biblical scripture as a serious form of reproof.

It is always difficult to reason with those who have based their theology on a literal belief.

Your fear of God makes it impossible for you to judge accurately and morally.

Is God a just judge?

This speaks of Jesus.
He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

The above quote shows this as Gods first actual judgement and shows his setting and accepting a bribe of a human sacrifice to corrupt or alter his justice and judgement.

Justice usually states that only the punishment of the guilty is acceptable to justice and that it would be unjust to punish the innocent.

God’s corruption of this usual justice is what the bribe or sacrifice of Jesus bought. Injustice.

If you elect your judges in your country, would you vote God in as a fair and just judge knowing that he can be bribed?

Is God a just judge?

You will say yes but would not vote for the same if he were human thus showing an immoral double standard.

Regards
DL

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
We are Christian only because our myths are from the same roots as Christianity's myths.
Believers generally don't refer to their beliefs as myths.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
Believers generally don't refer to their beliefs as myths.

Only literalists and fools do not read their scriptures as myths. That is why they do not get the messages properly. They end up believing in talking animals and all sorts of foolishness and end with poor morals.

For the evils of religion to grow, read any scripture literally.

Any and all harmless beliefs are allowed by Gnostic Christians. We know that any myth can be internalized for good results and as esoteric ecumenists, we enjoy knowledge of all the myths that man has created about Gods.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

When there is a victim is when that view changes. Then you see why Christianity annihilated Gnostic Christianity. We do not let the evils of forced literalism go unopposed. To a tyrant like Constantine, we were poison. One of his first commands to his new Church was to kill off the free thinkers and of course, his new tool, his Church, did as bid. It was quite a ride for free thought for the next 1,000 years.

For the evils of religion to grow.

How can a Gnostic Christian, --- and any other free thinking moral person, --- not judge other's morals when seeing someone hurt other because of the same Church's teachings today?

Can you ignore such things if you have decent morals? Impossible. Especially with Islam pulling the same murderous, freedom stifling ****.

We must discriminate and judge constantly. Every law is a compulsion on all of us to judge.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

They also do much harm to their own fellow adherents.

African witches and Jesus

Jesus Camp 1of 3
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=48b_1185215493

Death to Gays.

For evil to grow my friend, all good people need do is nothing. Fight literalism when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
 DL

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
As far as God's judgement goes, he will judge that which he deems fit for his judgement. He creates that which he plans to destroy to be abhorred (regarded with disgust and hatred, but most definitely dead and unconscious) by all his chosen (Isiah 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord. 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.)

So the question though, is how could God be righteous if he didn't give us the knowledge of good and evil and then let us make our own choice? Evil literally means to destroy and good means to upkeep. The only righteous thing then would be to keep that which is good alive and let that which is evil die but it's also a catch 22 which means to know evil first you must experience it and to make a choice evil has to be compelling enough that it will offer short term rewards and gratification while good is long-suffering for a better cause and willing to go through things that are not pleasant in order to keep others well being intact.

I suppose some might say that personal choices are not wrong nor right but that's just relativistic foolish thinking to my point of view because obviously if we truly believed that then it would not be wrong to murder another human for personal gain for example.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Sculelos

Are you saying you trust the judgement of a God who takes bribes?

Is God a just judge?

This speaks of Jesus.
He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.

The above quote shows this as Gods first actual judgement and shows his setting and accepting a bribe of a human sacrifice to corrupt or alter his justice and judgement.

Justice usually states that only the punishment of the guilty is acceptable to justice and that it would be unjust to punish the innocent.

God’s corruption of this usual justice is what the bribe or sacrifice of Jesus bought. Injustice.

If you elect your judges in your country, would you vote God in as a fair and just judge knowing that he can be bribed?

Is God a just judge?

Regards
DL

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
I first discovered gnosticism in Philip K. Dick's "VALIS".  I'm agnostic but I certainly see the appeal of gnosticism over the standard model of Christianity -- specifically the gnostic concept that the God of the Old Testament is a flawed 'local' god rather than an omnipotent, omniscient deity.  It's difficult to reconcile the idea of undeserved suffering (or any suffering, really) with an all-powerful, loving creator god.  The gnostic concept of a greater, purer but ultimately unknowable and distant Godhead helps make sense of that.

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
I'd say God's judgement's are just but then again all of us deserve death and it's only by the mercy of God that we have been given any sort of life at all. So if everyone deserves death then it's not wrong for God to save those whom he chooses to save.

Daniel

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2014, 02:02:39 AM »
I'd say God's judgement's are just but then again all of us deserve death and it's only by the mercy of God that we have been given any sort of life at all. So if everyone deserves death then it's not wrong for God to save those whom he chooses to save.

Why would a loving and just god create beings that are immediately deserving of death?

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:24 AM »

Why would a loving and just god create beings that are immediately deserving of death?
For a laugh?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »
I first discovered gnosticism in Philip K. Dick's "VALIS".  I'm agnostic but I certainly see the appeal of gnosticism over the standard model of Christianity -- specifically the gnostic concept that the God of the Old Testament is a flawed 'local' god rather than an omnipotent, omniscient deity.  It's difficult to reconcile the idea of undeserved suffering (or any suffering, really) with an all-powerful, loving creator god.  The gnostic concept of a greater, purer but ultimately unknowable and distant Godhead helps make sense of that.

Our myths did try a bit harder to explain what we now know to just be evolution at work. It is what creates evil as far as we are concerned as we create victims when we compete for resources against each other and nature. That view basically mimics what some call Theistic Evolution.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">O Necessary Sin of Adam (Does Christian Theology Need Adam & Eve?)

I have a semi-long O.P. if you do not see in evolutionary terms, cooperation is good, no victims, and competition is evil as it causes victims. That evil must be within us and we must do some or we would go extinct.

Regards
DL

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »

What a game for your God to play!

Create a place for eternal bliss as well as a place for eternal suffering or death.

Then create beings whom he loves dearly and watches over.

And in the end, decide which to consider "trash" and "throw away" into the place for eternal suffering or death  and which to cling to and love in the place for eternal bliss.

Even man, with all his faults, is greater and more responsible.

Regards
DL

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »

For a laugh?

Your just crabby. LOL.

Regards
DL

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
Why do you waste your existence with your phoney gods?

Why haveyou not accepted the love and forgiveness of our one ture saviour?!?!?

THE GREAT STACY OF OMEHGLE
 ??? :( :o ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( :'( :'( :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;) :D
Bob Day...<3

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:14 PM »

Here's why: Let's set up a situation, you and a computer. You can progam this computer to say "I love you." Does that mean that the computer loves you? No, you just programmed it to say that. (I acknowledge that a computer isn't living and doesn't obtain the ability to make choices, but this goes to prove my point, as you'll see in a sec.) Now, Christianity is based off of the fact that God is a loving and just God. So, why would He create humans if we were immediately deserving of death? He wouldn't, and He didn't. He gave us free will to make our own choices. To love ourselves, or to love Him. To believe in Him, and that He sent His one and only son to die for the world's sins (who is also Him, along with the Holy Spirit (That's why they're called the Trinity, as they're "one")) or to not believe. Also, God doesn't choose who to save, as stated by I forgot who ;), He lets us choose our own path.

?

guv

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 04:35:38 AM »

Here's why: Let's set up a situation, you and a computer. You can progam this computer to say "I love you." Does that mean that the computer loves you? No, you just programmed it to say that. (I acknowledge that a computer isn't living and doesn't obtain the ability to make choices, but this goes to prove my point, as you'll see in a sec.) Now, Christianity is based off of the fact that God is a loving and just God. So, why would He create humans if we were immediately deserving of death? He wouldn't, and He didn't. He gave us free will to make our own choices. To love ourselves, or to love Him. To believe in Him, and that He sent His one and only son to die for the world's sins (who is also Him, along with the Holy Spirit (That's why they're called the Trinity, as they're "one")) or to not believe. Also, God doesn't choose who to save, as stated by I forgot who ;), He lets us choose our own path.
[/quo

Bullshit.

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 05:42:22 AM »

How will you get yourself into heaven? On your own merit or via a scapegoat?

Revisit substitutionary atonement or vicarious redemption and scapegoating with me just to refresh your memory.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Christ is Back in Christmas!

I am not an atheist but Satan and Christians want atheists to embrace barbaric human sacrifice and the notion that we should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty. Scapegoating IOW.

In reality, if God did demand such a barbaric sacrifice, he would be sinning as we all know that it is immoral to kill the innocent. God knows this yet Christians do not seem to. You do. Right?

Those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a son just to prove it's benevolence. When you die, Satan will ask you; how was your ticket to heaven purchased? With innocent blood?

If and when you say yes, you become his.

-----------------------------------

The other option in scriptures, a moral one, is shown here. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Scriptures indicate that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and as God’s will is supreme and cannot be thwarted, this will come to pass.

---------------------------------

It is a special distorted Christian view of love that sees, --- as the greatest act of love possible, --- their God condemning them, and then turning and demanding his son’s deaths and thus corrupting God's perfect justice. A bribe set by God as judge himself for himself. This is of course ridiculous.

Christians have an insane view of love, IMO.

Would you express your love for humanity or those you love by having your own child needlessly murdered? 

Or if convinced that a sacrifice was somehow good, would you have the moral fortitude to step up yourself to that cross instead of sending your child?

Your cowardly God did not.

Regards
DL

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »

[/quo

Bullshit.

Please, explain.

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

How will you get yourself into heaven? On your own merit or via a scapegoat?

Revisit substitutionary atonement or vicarious redemption and scapegoating with me just to refresh your memory.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Christ is Back in Christmas!

I am not an atheist but Satan and Christians want atheists to embrace barbaric human sacrifice and the notion that we should profit from punishing the innocent instead of the guilty. Scapegoating IOW.

In reality, if God did demand such a barbaric sacrifice, he would be sinning as we all know that it is immoral to kill the innocent. God knows this yet Christians do not seem to. You do. Right?

Those with good morals will know that no noble and gracious God would demand the sacrifice of a son just to prove it's benevolence. When you die, Satan will ask you; how was your ticket to heaven purchased? With innocent blood?

If and when you say yes, you become his.

-----------------------------------

The other option in scriptures, a moral one, is shown here. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Scriptures indicate that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and as God’s will is supreme and cannot be thwarted, this will come to pass.

---------------------------------

It is a special distorted Christian view of love that sees, --- as the greatest act of love possible, --- their God condemning them, and then turning and demanding his son’s deaths and thus corrupting God's perfect justice. A bribe set by God as judge himself for himself. This is of course ridiculous.

Christians have an insane view of love, IMO.

Would you express your love for humanity or those you love by having your own child needlessly murdered? 

Or if convinced that a sacrifice was somehow good, would you have the moral fortitude to step up yourself to that cross instead of sending your child?

Your cowardly God did not.

Regards
DL

First of all, you're mixing up a few things. You seem to think that God and His son, Jesus , are two different beings. They're not. The Trinity is one being and it is made up of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. They're one, which disproves your argument that God didn't send himself up on the cross. You're arguing a point that requires you to think in terms of the Bible, and you have to a the Trinity, or else your argument would be invalid, which it is because you refuse to acknowledge it.

Now, the way you get into heaven is not by your own merit, nor is it via scapegoat. It is by believing that God sent his son to die on the cross for our sins.

I probably should've cleared this up earlier, but the first post I was making got deleted, so I had to start over with the thought process that I had going on at the end of the lost post :P (It's why this is a little bit out of order, my apologies).

Also, you think that God sacrificing his son is immoral. Let's think about this. If God made everything (which He did), then He also made morals. Thus, God can't do anything immoral because he made them. It's like saying that a portion of a Bach piece is Un-Bachian. It can't be, as Bach was the one who made the piece! This means that God cannot be immoral.

Also, I don't understand what you're trying to prove here:

"The other option in scriptures, a moral one, is shown here. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Scriptures indicate that God prefers repentance to sacrifice and as God’s will is supreme and cannot be thwarted, this will come to pass."

You're quoting scripture, which means you have to abide by it's terms, and I can't find anything that this proves in your favor. You're basically saying that God is saving us, who are sinful, and wants no more to perish (there's a difference between perish and sacrifice) without being saved. But, He gave us free will (as covered in the last post), and humbled Himself to the point where He sent His perfect son (who is also Him) to come to Earth in flesh, and die for our sins.

I agree with you, it's ridiculous for a god to do that, why would he?

The answer? It's out of love for us.

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 05:43:36 AM »

You hide behind gibberish.

If Jesus id God then he cannot die. God cannot die.

You take a satanic moral position that embraces the punishment of the innocent instead of the guilty.

Get thee behind me Satan.

You have allowed your religion to corrupt your morals.

You think God would approve of human sacrifice when only Satan would approve such a policy.

Regards
DL