The World Is Round?

• 90 Replies
?

tappet

Re: The World Is Round?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 03:05:51 AM »
If you think about planets forming hard enough it really starts to sound like science-fiction.

According to RE theory, there needs to be a center of gravity for all this rubble to get pulled into... What is the center of gravity? A small space rock?

What came first gravity or the rock?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2014, 04:31:10 AM »
The Universal Acceleration causes things to fall.  Einstein has already proved that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable.

Incorrect. Please brush up on relativity.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »
Einstein has already proved that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable.

Not proven, but hypothesised, and so far: demonstrated.

The resultant forces are indistinguishable, but with a moderately sensitive instrument, it's child's play to distinguish whether you're standing in a gravity well or on an accelerating surface by how they vary.

None of which is going to stop you saying the exact same thing in future though, right?
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

ausGeoff

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 08:39:11 AM »
If you think about planets forming hard enough it really starts to sound like science-fiction.

According to RE theory, there needs to be a center of gravity for all this rubble to get pulled into... What is the center of gravity? A small space rock?

Why don't new planets form on Earth? There are many small rocks on Earth that have their own gravitational pull.

I think I just disproved gravity here.

Your knowledge of gravity may need some improvement.  In physics, the centre of gravity (or centre of mass) is an imaginary point in a body of matter.  A "small rock" has a CoG of its own, but doesn't in itself constitute the "physical" CoG of a larger centre of mass, such as a cloud of atmospheric dust.

You also need to Google "astrophysical accretion" for an explanation of how the planets formed.

And no; you most definitely haven't "disproved" gravity.  Sorry.

ocha

• Just for fun
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
Why is gravimetry use for mineral prospection if gravity is the same in every point of Earth?
Aerospace engineering student. I love aircraft and spacecraft.

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 12:01:46 PM »
We are being taught that ancient people were stupid and that their flat earth science was based on nothing. We are taught to accept modern science without question, but the fact is that ancient mam was infect wiser than modern man, mostly because their knowledge came directly from Atlantis and Lemuria. Ancient Indian Vedas is one of the most complex and esoteric teachings of all time and it states that earth is a disk.
JJA voted for Pedro

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »
We are being taught that ancient people were stupid and that their flat earth science was based on nothing. We are taught to accept modern science without question, but the fact is that ancient mam was infect wiser than modern man, mostly because their knowledge came directly from Atlantis and Lemuria. Ancient Indian Vedas is one of the most complex and esoteric teachings of all time and it states that earth is a disk.

We're also taught ancient people thought the earth was round. Dating back to 432 BC.

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
Incorrect
JJA voted for Pedro

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
Incorrect

Wonderful argument. I'm totally convinced!

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »
Incorrect

Here's reference to what we're taught about ancient people and round earth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

How am I incorrect?

ausGeoff

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2014, 03:46:10 AM »
Incorrect

Your response is immaterial and irrelevant to the question at hand, and lacks any sort of empirical evidence to confirm it.

Where are your citations supporting this claim?  Your personal opinion carries no weight at all in a meaningful debate.

ausGeoff

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2014, 04:58:21 AM »
We are being taught that ancient people were stupid and that their flat earth science was based on nothing.
Not so.  The ancient Greeks figured out the earth was spherical (Aristotle, Pythagoras, Eratosthenes) several centuries BCE.

We are taught to accept modern science without question...
Nope.  Modern science is constantly checking and rechecking its theories, and developing new hypotheses as time and technology progress.  If you choose to "accept" modern science without questioning it, then that's your shortcoming, and not science's.

...but the fact is that ancient mam was in fact wiser than modern man, mostly because their knowledge came directly from Atlantis and Lemuria.
Nope again.  Ancient man had only a tiny, tiny percentage of the scientific knowledge that we possess today.  They couldn't even differentiate between stars and planets, and knew nothing about gravitational forces (which science first hypothesised in the 16th century).  The purported existence of both Atlantis and Lemuria has long been debunked as nothing more than myths.

Ancient Indian Vedas is one of the most complex and esoteric teachings of all time and it states that earth is a disk.
Being "complex" and "esoteric" doesn't in itself prove correctness.  The Christian bible is also both of those things, but contains myriad errors of fact, misrepresentations, mythology, self-contradictions, hearsay, and even outright lies.

The Vedas got science wrong repeatedly:

Vedas says the earth is static

Oh Man ! He who made the trembling earth static is Indra.  (Rig Ved 2/12/12)

The God who made the earth stable.  (Yajur Ved 32/6)

Indra protects the wide earth which is immovable and has many forms.  (Atarv Ved 12/1/11)

Let us walk on the ide and static earth.  (Atharv Ved 12/1/17)

Vedas says the sun moves around the earth on a golden chariot with his 7 horses.  As the Veds claim that the earth is static and so they tried to prove that the sun moves around the earth. The following statement from the Rig Ved tries to clarify it—

The sun is full of light and knows all the human beings, so his horses take him to sky to look at the world.  (Rig Ved 1/50/1)

"O, Bright sun, a chariot named Harit with seven horses takes you to sky".  (Rig Ved 1/50/8)

"O, man, the sun who is most attractive, takes round of the earth, on his golden chariot through the sky and removes the darkness of the earth".  (Yajur Ved 33/43)

iWitness

• If the earth is round then what is your problem?
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »
The Christian bible is also both of those things, but contains myriad errors of fact, misrepresentations, mythology, self-contradictions, hearsay, and even outright lies.

Can you give me some examples of these outright lies? Because I think you're full of it.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

iWitness

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2014, 06:20:15 AM »
To prove my point that atheists and nonbelievers of the Bible are lazy and don't research the claims for themselves...

Here are just some of the Archeological Findings that support the Bible:

The Existence of Hittites. Genesis 23 reports that Abraham buried Sarah in the Cave of Machpelah, which he purchased from Ephron the Hittite. Second Samuel 11 tells of David’s adultery with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite. A century ago the Hittites were unknown outside of the Old Testament, and critics claimed that they were a figment of biblical imagination. In 1906, however, archaeologists digging east of Ankara, Turkey, discovered the ruins of Hattusas, the ancient Hittite capital at what is today called Boghazkoy, as well as its vast collection of Hittite historical records, which showed an empire flourishing in the mid-second millennium BC. This critical challenge, among many others, was immediately proved worthless — a pattern that would often be repeated in the decades to come.

Biblical Cities Attested Archaeologically. In addition to Jericho, places such as Haran, Hazor, Dan, Megiddo, Shechem, Samaria, Shiloh, Gezer, Gibeah, Beth Shemesh, Beth Shean, Beersheba, Lachish, and many other urban sites have been excavated, quite apart from such larger and obvious locations as Jerusalem or Babylon. Such geographical markers are extremely significant in demonstrating that fact, not fantasy, is intended in the Old Testament historical narratives; otherwise, the specificity regarding these urban sites would have been replaced by “Once upon a time” narratives with only hazy geographical parameters, if any.

Israel’s enemies in the Hebrew Bible likewise are not contrived but solidly historical. Among the most dangerous of these were the Philistines, the people after whom Palestine itself would be named. Their earliest depiction is on the Temple of Rameses III at Thebes, c. 1150 BC, as “peoples of the sea” who invaded the Delta area and later the coastal plain of Canaan. The Pentapolis (five cities) they established — namely Ashkelon, Ashdod, Gaza, Gath, and Ekron — have all been excavated, at least in part, and some remain cities to this day. Such precise urban evidence measures favorably when compared with the geographical sites claimed in the holy books of other religious systems, which often have no basis whatever in reality.10

Shishak’s Invasion of Judah. First Kings 14 and 2 Chronicles 12 tell of Pharaoh Shishak’s conquest of Judah in the fifth year of the reign of King Rehoboam, the brainless son of Solomon, and how Solomon’s temple in Jerusalem was robbed of its treasures on that occasion. This victory is also commemorated in hieroglyphic wall carvings on the Temple of Amon at Thebes.

Burial Plaque of King Uzziah. Down in Judah, King Uzziah ruled from 792 to 740 BC, a contemporary of Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah. Like Solomon, he began well and ended badly. In 2 Chronicles 26 his sin is recorded, which resulted in his being struck with leprosy later in life. When Uzziah died, he was interred in a “field of burial that belonged to the kings.” His stone burial plaque has been discovered on the Mount of Olives, and it reads: “Here, the bones of Uzziah, King of Judah, were brought. Do not open.”

Hezekiah’s Siloam Tunnel Inscription. King Hezekiah of Judah ruled from 721 to 686 BC. Fearing a siege by the Assyrian king, Sennacherib, Hezekiah preserved Jerusalem’s water supply by cutting a tunnel through 1,750 feet of solid rock from the Gihon Spring to the Pool of Siloam inside the city walls (2 Kings 20; 2 Chron. 32). At the Siloam end of the tunnel, an inscription, presently in the archaeological museum at Istanbul, Turkey, celebrates this remarkable accomplishment. The tunnel is probably the only biblical site that has not changed its appearance in 2,700 years.

source: http://www.equip.org/articles/biblical-archaeology-factual-evidence-to-support-the-historicity-of-the-bible/#christian-books-6

More archeology:

Sodom and Gomorrah ruins - " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Mt. Sinai evidence - " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Red Sea Crossing - " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
Noah's Ark Remains - " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Even More Archeology:

Dead Sea Scrolls: The Dead Sea Scrolls are a collection of 981 texts discovered between 1946 and 1956 at Khirbet Qumran in the West Bank. They were found inside caves about a mile inland from the northwest shore of the Dead Sea, from which they derive their name.[1] Nine of the scrolls were rediscovered at the Israel Antiquities Authority (IAA) in 2014, after they had been stored unopened for six decades following their excavation in 1952.[2][3] The texts are of great historical, religious, and linguistic significance because they include the earliest known surviving manuscripts of works later included in the Hebrew Bible canon, along with deuterocanonical and extra-biblical manuscripts which preserve evidence of the diversity of religious thought in late Second Temple Judaism.

The texts are written in Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, and Nabataean, mostly on parchment but with some written on papyrus and bronze.[4] The manuscripts have been dated to various ranges between 408 BCE and 318 CE.[5] Bronze coins found on the site form a series beginning with John Hyrcanus (135–104 BCE) and continuing until the First Jewish-Roman War (66–73 CE).[6] source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls

These are just some of the amazing discoveries that prove the authenticity of the Bible. The problem is not a lack of evidence, but a lack of DESIRE to know the One True God.
Disclaimer: I am confused. Everything I say is speculative and not admissible in a court of law; however, I am neither insane nor a threat to myself or others. I am simply curious about everything in life and enjoy talking about crazy shit. Oh, & btw I like turtles.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
The Universal Acceleration causes things to fall.  Einstein has already proved that acceleration and gravity are indistinguishable.

Incorrect. Please brush up on the Equivalence Principle. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:56 AM »

Incorrect. Please brush up on the Equivalence Principle.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/grel.html:
Experiments performed in a uniformly accelerating reference frame with acceleration are indistinguishable from the same experiments performed in a non-accelerating reference frame which is situated in a gravitational field where the acceleration of gravity = g = -a = intensity of gravity field.
(emphasis my own)

The first thing to notice is that this definition does not cover non-uniformly accelerating reference frames.

Then there are the good old tidal effects.

Then there is the perihelion of mercury.

A cursory examination of the equivalence principle shows that gravity and acceleration are distinguishable in some crucial cases.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 06:57:55 AM by Rama Set »
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 07:20:02 AM »
Are you calling Einstein a liar? 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21:31 AM »
Are you calling Einstein a liar?

Try harder.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »
Are you saying that Einstein was an idiot? 

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 07:30:21 AM »
Are you saying that Einstein was an idiot?

How about addressing his post instead of trying the ol' FE circular argument schtick of repetitive irrelevant question asking.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 07:33:55 AM »
You people seem to like to go against anything that Einstein said. 

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 08:08:48 AM »

No, this is a case where you seem to think you understand the equivalency principle, when you don't.  The sources I cited are not disagreeing with Einstein, they are elucidating mathematical consequences of Einstein's theory.

ausGeoff

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »

Can you give me some examples of these outright lies? Because I think you're full of it.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you [sic] for your puerile (but typical of many flat earthers) insult.  It's quite a common tactic that people who possess only primitive debating skills resort to;  the good old ad hominem attack.

Anyway... coincidentally I actually listed several inconsistencies from the bible—on another thread here today—that indicated several errors of scientific fact pertaining to the geometry of the earth; IE that it was flat.

Rather than me paraphrasing numerous parts of a particularly interesting site debunking the biblical stories, you might like to check it out HERE.  It's titled "The Scriptural Basis for a Geocentric Cosmology" and written by Glenn Elert MSc.

And I also need to let you know I have very little time or inclination to debate with Christian apologists.  Sorry.

People who believe in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena often have only a very limited understanding of the sciences.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
So, are you now saying that mass does indeed warp space-time causing the effect that we commonly refer to as gravity?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 09:47:44 AM »
So, are you now saying that mass does indeed warp space-time causing the effect that we commonly refer to as gravity?

If that was the case then I'd have little pebbles and pieces of trash orbiting around me everyday. However, this is not the case. Gravity is a farce.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »

If that was the case then I'd have little pebbles and pieces of trash orbiting around me everyday. However, this is not the case. Gravity is a force.

Fixed that for you.

Vauxhall

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »

If that was the case then I'd have little pebbles and pieces of trash orbiting around me everyday. However, this is not the case. Gravity is a force.

Fixed that for you.

Please explain how gravity can exist yet small things don't orbit around me.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 09:53:14 AM »

Fixed that for you.

Sure no problem.

Your body doesn't have enough mass to overcome the gravity exerted by the earth on said objects.

Simple enough?

Look up accretion and learn a little more about gravity.

Vauxhall

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »

Fixed that for you.

Sure no problem.

Your body doesn't have enough mass to overcome the gravity exerted by the earth on said objects.

Simple enough?

Look up accretion and learn a little more about gravity.

Fair enough. So you're saying that if I went into space with zeros Gs that trash would orbit around me? According to RE astronauts, none of them have observed anything floating around them during their space flights (not saying space trips happened, just that astronauts have not reported this to happen during their debriefings). How do you explain this discrepancy in your theory?
Read the FAQS.

iWitness

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 10:00:42 AM »
That's what I thought. Just like all other atheists you can't even provide ONE "outright lie" as you call it. When I provided several archeological confirmations in the Bible.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you [sic] for your puerile (but typical of many flat earthers) insult.  It's quite a common tactic that people who possess only primitive debating skills resort to;  the good old ad hominem attack.

Anyway... coincidentally I actually listed several inconsistencies from the bible—on another thread here today—that indicated several errors of scientific fact pertaining to the geometry of the earth; IE that it was flat.

Rather than me paraphrasing numerous parts of a particularly interesting site debunking the biblical stories, you might like to check it out HERE.  It's titled "The Scriptural Basis for a Geocentric Cosmology" and written by Glenn Elert MSc.

And I also need to let you know I have very little time or inclination to debate with Christian apologists.  Sorry.

People who believe in supernatural entities and paranormal phenomena often have only a very limited understanding of the sciences.