Is VirginGalactic part of the Conspiracy?

• 72 Replies

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
Re: Is VirginGalactic part of the Conspiracy?
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 03:03:51 PM »
Now that sounds like young Einstein. Or a not very self aware old Einstein :P

In either case and based on any aspect of his work it's clear Einstein was no great proponent of common sense over maths. In a pretty real sense I'd say he was a big part of what started this age of science which worked with extremely unintuitive things. There were surprising results before him of course - that the sun went round the earth or that disease was caused by things too small to see, but those things still make sense. The little bug is there making you ill, it's just really small. And in that new age, not only could you not rely on common sense, in fact you had to shut it up while you worked or you wouldn't get anywhere.

Bit of an off topic ramble, sorry about that.
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
What are you able to do with the processing power we have available today? 

You should take a computer science class sometime.  Even with off-the-shelf parts, you can build a powerful computer that can do many wonderful things.  Virgin Galactic does not have to reinvent the wheel here.

I have thanks, and have worked in the field.

Since you were not able to answer the original question, "Have you designed and built anything from scratch that requires flight and a passenger?"  I'll assume you have not.

What is the most wonderful thing you've been able to accomplish with computers to date?

I have not built or designed anything that is meant for passenger travel; I will admit that.  However, I have designed and built, on many occasions, industrial production equipment.  My range of experience ranges from simple assembly line automated stations to complex automated machining equipment.  Just because I have never designed a passenger carrying vehicle, don't assume that I cannot comprehend the process. 

However, back on topic, we have already sent people into orbit; yet these people are acting like they are doing it for the first time.  They are getting funding from the people who did it 40 years ago, and I admit that I am assuming that NASA would also pass on their knowledge.  The way they put it off makes me feel like they are just milking the funding for as long as they can.

Great so you know it's no easy task.  I've worked in 3D animation and design now for about 15 years now and it's funny how people can not comprehend the amount of work that goes into things.  For instance when I working with an architectural firm, our designers would ask for a brick color to be changed not understanding the amount of work that goes on something so simple. 

A quick brick color change could take 2 hours to do and then another 8 hours to render easily.  If they wanted a design layout change it could easily take 5 times that.

It's not like you just walk up to these super powerful computers and say, design me a working rocket capable of doing x, y and z.

So the amount of time it takes to get something to 100% reliability and not 97% is huge. 

Also, to put things into perspective.  The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and Airplane built by a company doing it for many many decades took over 8 years to design and build before being introduced to the public for purchase at a cost of 32 billion dollars. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner

It may be possible VG is a scam, but when you put it up against the timeline and cost of an airline it's doing pretty damn good, would you not agree?

jroa, did the Boeing Dreamliner help put time and costs into perspective?

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »
Jroa, thoughts?

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
Meanwhile, the government is harvesting resources from the endless icewall.
Presumably these "resources" mainly consist of ice?

Which government are you referring to anyway?  Papua New Guinea?  Switzerland? Canada?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

You should take a computer science class sometime.  Even with off-the-shelf parts, you can build a powerful computer that can do many wonderful things.  Virgin Galactic does not have to reinvent the wheel here.

Since you were not able to answer the original question, "Have you designed and built anything from scratch that requires flight and a passenger?"  I'll assume you have not.

What is the most wonderful thing you've been able to accomplish with computers to date?

I have not built or designed anything that is meant for passenger travel; I will admit that.  However, I have designed and built, on many occasions, industrial production equipment.  My range of experience ranges from simple assembly line automated stations to complex automated machining equipment.  Just because I have never designed a passenger carrying vehicle, don't assume that I cannot comprehend the process. 

However, back on topic, we have already sent people into orbit; yet these people are acting like they are doing it for the first time.  They are getting funding from the people who did it 40 years ago, and I admit that I am assuming that NASA would also pass on their knowledge.  The way they put it off makes me feel like they are just milking the funding for as long as they can.

Great so you know it's no easy task.  I've worked in 3D animation and design now for about 15 years now and it's funny how people can not comprehend the amount of work that goes into things.  For instance when I working with an architectural firm, our designers would ask for a brick color to be changed not understanding the amount of work that goes on something so simple. 

A quick brick color change could take 2 hours to do and then another 8 hours to render easily.  If they wanted a design layout change it could easily take 5 times that.

It's not like you just walk up to these super powerful computers and say, design me a working rocket capable of doing x, y and z.

So the amount of time it takes to get something to 100% reliability and not 97% is huge. 

Also, to put things into perspective.  The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, and Airplane built by a company doing it for many many decades took over 8 years to design and build before being introduced to the public for purchase at a cost of 32 billion dollars. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_787_Dreamliner

It may be possible VG is a scam, but when you put it up against the timeline and cost of an airline it's doing pretty damn good, would you not agree?

What does the Dreamliner have to do with anything? 

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »

What does the Dreamliner have to do with anything?

The concern you brought forth as evidence was the time and cost of the VG craft being developed and built.  That they were not starting from scratch so it shouldn't have taken so long and cost so much.

The Dreamliner, was built and designed by a company who had building planes for decades and took longer and cost 30 times what you say NASA has paid VG.  Consider a plane took that long and that much money, is your concern still valid?  If so, then why?

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
FE'ers... Let's say that the whole Virgin Space Program does go ahead and regular Joes get to fly into space and they all come back with inevitable pictures of a round Earth. Will you believe it then or is it just another one of the trillions of conspiracies?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
Which government are you referring to anyway?  Papua New Guinea?  Switzerland? Canada?

There is only one, Jimmy.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2014, 04:58:15 PM »

There is only one, Jimmy.

Really?  Cause...

It sounds like you're just making things up now.

Do you have any sources for the information you're peddling?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
con·spir·a·cy
"a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful."

se·cret
"not known or seen or not meant to be known or seen by others."

Are you illiterate?
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
con·spir·a·cy

se·cret

Are you illiterate?

So you're saying you don't actually know if there is or isn't a secret then?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
con·spir·a·cy

se·cret

Are you illiterate?

How hard is it to understand that absence of evidence of the conspiracy is the strongest evidence for the existence and power of the conspiracy?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 07:24:28 PM »
con·spir·a·cy

se·cret

Are you illiterate?

How hard is it to understand that absence of evidence of the conspiracy is the strongest evidence for the existence and power of the conspiracy?

I understand that's how some people feel about it.