The setting Sun is one big optical illusion,,,.

• 132 Replies
?

Goth

The setting Sun is one big optical illusion,,,.
« on: May 28, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Hilarious QI Moment - Phil Jupitus Hates QI

Its,not on how the universe actually works, but rather how we perceive the universe?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:42:00 PM by Goth »

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
Re: The setting Sun is one big optical illusion,,,.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »
Interesting. So if you take away the effect of refraction, the Sun would appear lower in the sky at sunset than it actually is. Good to know!
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:48:29 PM »
Refraction is an odd phenomena. 

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:33 PM »
Yeah the gradient in the atmosphere actually lets you see a little further over the horizon than you could otherwise.
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:12:45 PM »
Refraction is an odd phenomena.

What's odd is that we can use our knowledge of refraction to build optics with incredible precision, yet you claim it does things to the Sun that nobody can explain or predict.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
You don't think lenses work now, do you? Wake up! The Conspiracy really got to you, didn't they...

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
Who said anything about lenses? 

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
Shmeggley?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
So Stephen Fry is a reputable scientist now? You realize he mostly stars in comedies, right?  ::)
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:30:21 PM »
So Stephen Fry is a reputable scientist now? You realize he mostly stars in comedies, right?  ::)

OK, so you're saying that refraction doesn't affect the apparent height of the Sun in the sky?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »

OK, so you're saying that refraction doesn't affect the apparent height of the Sun in the sky?

It does, of course. But not in the way Stephen Fry is explaining it. His explanation is ludicrous and wrong on so many levels.
Read the FAQS.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

It does, of course. But not in the way Stephen Fry is explaining it. His explanation is ludicrous and wrong on so many levels.

So you can relate.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:42:16 AM »
His explanation is ludicrous and wrong on so many levels.
He should fit right in with the FES then.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

ausGeoff

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 10:29:05 PM »

I was drawn to this thread by the inappropriateness of the topic header "The setting Sun is one big optical illusion" and of course wasn't surprised to find that it was started by a flat earther.

For some unknown reason—maybe scientific ignorance?—many flat earthers are confused by the background science of optical illusions, and obviously don't understand the actual definition of the word "illusion".  An illusion is "something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality".

The fact that refraction in the layer of dense air at the ocean's surface produces this sunset illusion doesn't alter in any way the actual geophysical process of the spherical earth rotating on its axis.

Anybody who's taken off from an airport at dusk will have seen the illusion of the already set sun appearing again as the plane reaches its cruising altitude.

Optical illusions don't alter reality.

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 02:08:14 PM »
It IS an optical illusion because the sun is not going "down".  It's just reached the lowest possible angle to be seen by your eyes before the horizon gets in the way and blocks it.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 05:44:52 PM »
And just how does the sun get low enough for the horizon to block it while the sun is still 3000 miles high?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:44 PM »
And just how does the sun get low enough for the horizon to block it while the sun is still 3000 miles high?
Because the earth is round. QED.

ausGeoff

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 06:30:17 AM »
It IS an optical illusion because the sun is not going "down".  It's just reached the lowest possible angle to be seen by your eyes before the horizon gets in the way and blocks it.

Nope.  The sun doesn't "go down".  It's stationary in our planetary system.  Even the ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew this using its constant location with respect to the stellar constellations. 

The spherical earth is rotating, which explains clearly why the sun disappears from our vision—and why we have nighttime.  Grade school science.

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 06:50:14 AM »
No matter what height, eventually everything reaches a distance where it is blocked by objects closer to you.  It happens with buildings, mountains....

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »

Nope.  The sun doesn't "go down".  It's stationary in our planetary system.  Even the ancient Greeks and Egyptians knew this using its constant location with respect to the stellar constellations. 

The spherical earth is rotating, which explains clearly why the sun disappears from our vision—and why we have nighttime.  Grade school science.
The ancient Egyptians believed the SUN (RA) traveled in a boat that sailed through the sky.  It does not get any clearer than that.  THE SUN MOVES. 

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:42 AM »

The ancient Egyptians believed the SUN (RA) traveled in a boat that sailed through the sky.  It does not get any clearer than that.  THE SUN MOVES.

That may have been part of religious beliefs but Ancient Egypt recorded in stone the rotation of planets around the sun. http://d4nations.com/webpubl/articles/the-history-of-the-solar-system.html

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 07:30:42 AM »
Sure the planets rotate around the sun but that does not mean the sun isn't moving too.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:14 AM »
No matter what height, eventually everything reaches a distance where it is blocked by objects closer to you.  It happens with buildings, mountains....

Do you mean things that are moving away from you, or things that you are moving away from? Because in either case, I agree, and the best explanation for this is that the Earth is a round ball.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
Sure the planets rotate around the sun but that does not mean the sun isn't moving too.

Sure the sun in moving, it rotates around the center of the galaxy that is moving in the universe.  But from the earth's perspective the sun is stationary and the earth orbits around it while rotating on it's axis.  (In the most fundamental of explanations).

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 07:57:14 AM »
It's more logical that the Earth is stationary and not spinning a thousand mph on an axis,  ocean water is contained by ice and not held down by the mystery of gravity, the sun is EM energy created by the gases in our atmo"sphere" and not an enormous mass of gas millions of miles away in space.

Simple explanations over complicated ones.

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »
It's more logical that the Earth is stationary and not spinning a thousand mph on an axis,  ocean water is contained by ice and not held down by the mystery of gravity, the sun is EM energy created by the gases in our atmo"sphere" and not an enormous mass of gas millions of miles away in space.

But that's there a force called the aether that is constantly accelerating at a consistent exponential rate to give the illusion of gravity, that is effecting everything in the universe perfectly, while we can observe the rotation of other planets and orbits of their moons and then think that somehow the earth is completely different in every possible way.

Yeah, that seems overly complicated to me.

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »
Explanations that work over ones that do not.

At the end of the day FET does not even have an explanation for such a simple, every day (heh) phenomenon as a sunset.

Anyway, there is nothing simple about FET which involves a vast conspiracy lasting 1000s of years and encompassing millions of people.  Not to mention made up shite like aetheric whirlpools and mysterious forces accelerating the earth to near the speed of light.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2014, 08:24:53 AM »
Crab,
I did explain the sunset.
As far as the FE aether explanation of gravity, that doesn't mean all FErs believe it.

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 08:30:34 AM »
Crab,
I did explain the sunset.
As far as the FE aether explanation of gravity, that doesn't mean all FErs believe it.

What do you believe?  Especially when we can observe the orbit and rotation of other planetary bodies in our solar system?

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2014, 09:42:04 AM »
I believe all matter is pushed to Earth according to it's density and electrical charge.  We observe the rotation of objects in the sky because they ARE rotating.