Foucault pendulums

• 826 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Foucault pendulums
« Reply #300 on: May 29, 2014, 09:59:37 PM »
It won't spin on its own for 24 hours...
Uh... we all understand that Charles.  The pendulum only swings for around two hours regardless of its length, or whether or not it has a motor attached.  But in that two hours, the earth's rotation is clearly indicated by the fact that the plane of the pendulum's swing arc will have rotated (or appeared to) by 360º/12 and which is clearly visible.  The only reason that museums use a motor to give it a "nudge" every couple of hours is so that some bloke doesn't have to stand by to do it with some complicated apparatus in order to keep the tourists happy.  And most importantly, this motor is designed so as to not apply any rotational torque to the pendulum's suspension point.

You can see why wankers like this guy swallow the crap...
So insulting someone who's attempting to illustrate a simple scientific principal using only a relatively primitive apparatus is a "wanker" according to you?  Ad hominem attacks appear to be one of your favoured tools of debate Charles.  Which is what some people do when they're backed into a corner.  It's a feeble argument.

He cant remember which way the earth is suppose to spin.
I have to agree with you, and it surprised and disappointed me too.  Even grade school kids know this simple fact.  The problem for him is that it opens the floodgates for people to claim that he really doesn't know what he's talking about, and even worse, that  the rest of his claims could also be riddled with a similar lack of scientific knowledge.

Still, his explanation of the Foucault pendulum is correct, despite his apparent lapse of knowledge of basic geophysics.

DonaldC

• Physics & Philosophy guy, teach science in China
« Reply #301 on: May 29, 2014, 11:53:07 PM »
It also seems that the main point is being ignored. Even if a motor were up there rotating the wire all it could possibly add is a rotational element to the system. The bob will be rotating about its axis while still swinging in the same plane. The rotation of the wire could only add a rotational moment to the system, the bob spins while swinging in the original plane. The spin of the wire can do nothing else. It cannot add any type of lateral motion.

If you would like the more mathy explanation here it is
No motor
Sum of forces is just the weight of the bob and the tension in the wire. The vector sum changes dependent upon the position of the bob in its arc. For example at the lowest point the tension is straight up and equal in magnitude to the weight which is straight down. The forces add vectorally to zero.
Sum of the torques is zero there are none.
With motor
Sum of forces is just the weight of the bob and the tension in the wire. The vector sum changes dependent upon the position of the bob in its arc. For example at the lowest point the tension is straight up and equal in magnitude to the weight which is straight down. The forces add vectorally to zero. No forces are added by the motor.
Torque, now nonzero and it spins.
"Think of the average person. Now remember how stupid he is. Now realize half of them are dumber than that." George Carlin

« Reply #302 on: May 30, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »
No motors used LOL It won't spin on its own for 24 hour ,so its just a summation, because you have to start its swinging again in that 24 hour period ::). You can see why wankers like this guy swallow the crap, He cant remember which way the earth is suppose to spin. How would you be having him for your teacher. Not only is he teaching shyt ,he cant even remember his shyt LOL   " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

You don't need it to be running for 24 hours to see the effect.  ::)

Typical FE argument style is to focus on insignificant details that really have no bearing on the final result, just to try and reduce credibility. Rather than address the major point that is being discussed, you cower in the shadows.
Those shadows I'm cowering in. Would that be a 24 hour day or a 34.7 hour day.The pendulum stands just over 70 feet high, has a bob weighing 260 pounds, and takes 34.7 hours to complete its rotation around the compass on the floor. http://ask.dartmouth.edu/categories/misc/55.html
You don't need it to be running for 24 hours to see the effect
No apparently not 34.7 .Earth must of been having an off day spinning. Maybe it got bogged down in the crap.   

Sigh...the time for the pendulum to make one rotation is dependent on the location on earth. At the north pole it would be 24 hours.

P=1 day/sine (latitude)

Back to the shadows, child.
Which north pole are you referring to. The make believe one or magnetic north pole? & while we are on the subject of cooked up figures & bullshyt , did you know the Easter bunnies lay eggs when the hens are off the lay.  ::)
What about the south magnetic  pole?. Oh that's right you haven't found that pole yet using a compass. Because a compass only points North.   
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #303 on: May 30, 2014, 03:59:48 AM »
Sigh...the time for the pendulum to make one rotation is dependent on the location on earth. At the north pole it would be 24 hours.

P=1 day/sine (latitude)

Which north pole are you referring to.

The geographical one, at which all lines of longitude meet. Would have thought that was pretty obvious...

What about the south magnetic  pole?. Oh that's right you haven't found that pole yet using a compass. Because a compass only points North.

You mean the one where a free-floating compass will point straight up? Where magnetic field lines meet the earth's surface vertically? It was at 64.497°S 137.684°E as of 2007. Not sure where it is now, it tends to move a little bit. Maybe you could go find it for us? Shouldn't be too hard, just find the spot where the earth's magnetic field meets the surface exactly vertically.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #304 on: May 30, 2014, 05:30:20 AM »

P=1 day/sine (latitude)

Which north pole are you referring to.

The geographical one, at which all lines of longitude meet. Would have thought that was pretty obvious...

You mean the one where a free-floating compass will point straight up? Where magnetic field lines meet the earth's surface vertically? It was at 64.497°S 137.684°E as of 2007. Not sure where it is now, it tends to move a little bit. Maybe you could go find it for us? Shouldn't be too hard, just find the spot where the earth's magnetic field meets the surface exactly vertically.
Oh the make believe geographical  north pole,like the make believe south pole. Well that all makes perfect  sense after I toned down on the bullshit repellent. You peoples imagination is insanely hilarious.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #305 on: May 30, 2014, 07:18:50 AM »
No motors used LOL It won't spin on its own for 24 hour ,so its just a summation, because you have to start its swinging again in that 24 hour period ::). You can see why wankers like this guy swallow the crap, He cant remember which way the earth is suppose to spin. How would you be having him for your teacher. Not only is he teaching shyt ,he cant even remember his shyt LOL   " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

You don't need it to be running for 24 hours to see the effect.  ::)

Typical FE argument style is to focus on insignificant details that really have no bearing on the final result, just to try and reduce credibility. Rather than address the major point that is being discussed, you cower in the shadows.
Those shadows I'm cowering in. Would that be a 24 hour day or a 34.7 hour day.The pendulum stands just over 70 feet high, has a bob weighing 260 pounds, and takes 34.7 hours to complete its rotation around the compass on the floor. http://ask.dartmouth.edu/categories/misc/55.html
You don't need it to be running for 24 hours to see the effect
No apparently not 34.7 .Earth must of been having an off day spinning. Maybe it got bogged down in the crap.   

P=1 day/sine (latitude)

Which north pole are you referring to. The make believe one or magnetic north pole? & while we are on the subject of cooked up figures & bullshyt , did you know the Easter bunnies lay eggs when the hens are off the lay.  ::)

My god man, you get an answer to one question and make up another reason to disagree with what's being postulated.

I think you don't really believe in FE hypothesis, you just like to argue for no reason other than to argue. That's hard to understand why you come back because you keep getting beat down time and time again. 

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #306 on: May 30, 2014, 08:07:20 AM »
It's truly pathetic (yet still hilarious) to watch charles in action here. He claims he knows "it" is all bullshit, when every post he makes just demonstrates his complete ignorance of how "it" works.

Charles, this thread concerns how the Foucault pendulum moves in relation to the rotation of the Earth. Which North Pole do you think is relevant to that discussion?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
So now that it's been proven that Foucault's pendulum can be done with very powerful magnets... what's this thread still doing open? Seems like we've figured it out.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2014, 10:53:19 AM »
So now that it's been proven that Foucault's pendulum can be done with very powerful magnets... what's this thread still doing open? Seems like we've figured it out.

They also work without magnets.

That's why this thread is still open. I'm sure you'd love to see it closed since it lends doubt to your flat earth hypothesis, but there are people that actually understand real science that are still discussing issues.

Interesting how you're trying to censor and inhibit free thought.

Vauxhall

« Reply #309 on: May 30, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
I'm not trying to censor anyone; it's just that we have presented a plethora of evidence that shows that Foucault pendulums are controlled with magnets and motors. On the other hand: no evidence has been presented to show they work without the help of those attachments. "It works I've seen one lol" is not evidence, despite how much you will it to be so.

There's really no point to keep this thread open since round earthers seem to be on a broken record loop now.  ::)
Read the FAQS.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #310 on: May 30, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Where was the evidence of magnets? I must have missed it.
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

Vauxhall

« Reply #311 on: May 30, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
Where was the evidence of magnets? I must have missed it.

Read the FAQS.

« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2014, 11:19:28 AM »
I'm not trying to censor anyone; it's just that we have presented a plethora of evidence that shows that Foucault pendulums are controlled with magnets and motors. On the other hand: no evidence has been presented to show they work without the help of those attachments. "It works I've seen one lol" is not evidence, despite how much you will it to be so.

There's really no point to keep this thread open since round earthers seem to be on a broken record loop now.  ::)

There are no words for this kind of logic.

Again, I'll repeat since you are having so much difficulty understanding perfectly understandable English, they work exactly the same WITHOUT magnets or motors as well only the duration of the total swing time is reduced. The end result is EXACTLY the same, proof of a rotating earth.  ::)

« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
Now we know he's a troll.

Vauxhall

« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »

Again, I'll repeat since you are having so much difficulty understanding perfectly understandable English, they work exactly the same WITHOUT magnets or motors as well only the duration of the total swing time is reduced. The end result is EXACTLY the same, proof of a rotating earth.  ::)

No, there are no words for your logic.

"They work the same without magnets/motors"  ::)

Just saying it does not make it so, dipshit.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2014, 11:24:08 AM »

No, there are no words for your logic.

"They work the same without magnets/motors"  ::)

Just saying it does not make it so, dipshit.

Please, go back to grade school with your insults and pathetic reading comprehension skills.

Why do all FE hypothesizers act like children when they are proven wrong?  I mean are you 2 years old, are you pissed because you've crapped your diaper and aren't getting your way? Do you wanna take a nap now?

Vauxhall

« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Aren't you being a bit hypcrotical right now?
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #317 on: May 30, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Aren't you being a bit hypcrotical right now?

Nope, what I'm saying is true.

You're just name calling, LIKE a child would do when they have nothing of substance to add to a conversation.

I'm sorry you don't understand the English language, it's not my fault that when people talk to you or when you read words they don't make any sense to you. It's no reason to start calling names.

Vauxhall

« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:45 AM »
Is calling me a child not a form of name calling now? Maybe you don't understand what hypocritical means.

Read the FAQS.

« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
Is calling me a child not a form of name calling now? Maybe you don't understand what hypocritical means.

I understand perfectly well what hypocrite means.

I said you're ACTING LIKE A CHILD. Not quite the same as straight up calling someone a dipshit. If you can't understand the difference, then I feel sorry for you.

Vauxhall

« Reply #320 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:46 AM »
I'm sorry for calling you a dipshit. Is that what you wanted to hear? Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong and haven't read the entire thread.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:24 AM »
I'm sorry for calling you a dipshit. Is that what you wanted to hear? Doesn't change the fact that you're wrong and haven't read the entire thread.

It's you who hasn't read. go back and read the post you quoted when you started with the name calling. Notice what I said about the operation of a pendulum without a magnet.

And no, I'm not wrong. Saying it doesn't make it so.

Vauxhall

« Reply #322 on: May 30, 2014, 11:41:48 AM »
The reason you're wrong is because you're assuming the Earth is round and rotates..  ::)

It doesn't.

It's flat and moving up.

Since we know the Earth is flat there's no possible way that a Foucault pendulum would work due to "Earth's rotation". You're skipping steps, here.
Read the FAQS.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #323 on: May 30, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »
Oh.

OOHH!

So in the FE world, drawing something in Paint is evidence?

Learn something every day.

Vauxhall

« Reply #324 on: May 30, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
That's a very impressive depiction of a Foucault Pendulum, Clown.

However, you forgot to add the magnets.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
The reason you're wrong is because you're assuming the Earth is round and rotates..  ::)

It doesn't.

It's flat and moving up.

Since we know the Earth is flat there's no possible way that a Foucault pendulum would work due to "Earth's rotation". You're skipping steps, here.

foucault pendulum says otherwise.

coriolis force says otherwise

ALL MODERN SCIENCE says otherwise.

Vauxhall

« Reply #326 on: May 30, 2014, 11:47:38 AM »
I fixed it for you, Clown.

Read the FAQS.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #327 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:06 AM »
So, we have Paint scribblings with magnets and without. How do you guys ever reach a conclusion that you didn't already have at the start?

Oh.

Yeah, not to worry, I think I answered my own question.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #328 on: May 30, 2014, 12:14:29 PM »
There's no way scattering a few permanent magnets around is going to work. To keep the pendulum moving in a straight line, you're going to need to move the pendulum sideways by a very small, precise amount each swing, then immediately stop the sideways motion. Otherwise, you don't get a straight swing, it just starts to swing in a big long ellipse.

I don't see any way to do this without electromagnets, and a precise timing and switching mechanism.

And you'd still have to prove somehow that they were doing it. Anyone up for visiting a live Foucault pendulum display and bringing in an EMF meter?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #329 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:57 PM »

It doesn't.

It's flat and moving up.

Another shining example of circular reasoning: "the earth is flat, therefore the earth is flat". Thankfully, scientists have taken a very different approach to seeking answers than this, otherwise we would still be stuck in the stone age...
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."