Foucault pendulums

• 826 Replies

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
Re: Foucault pendulums
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »
.... Most foucault pendulum's have a string or wire that holds the pendulum itself, this wire goes up into the ceiling (usually anchored on the roof of the building). On the roof near the anchor is where you'd find the motor controlling the pendulum. No one is going to see the motor unless they climb up onto the roof of the building the pendulum is housed in.

OK, but in this setup, the ball doesn't actually swing directly from the anchor point. They used a webbing to create a pivot point lower down to reduce friction, so how is a motor at the anchor point supposed to cause the precession observed?

If you could actually explain in detail how the fake Foucault pendulum works, that would be helpful. If you can't, you may as well just keep hand waving and say it's done with smoke and mirrors, or magnets, or a hidden hamster wheel in the ball or something. Unless you can give an account of how you get the results obtained through trickery, you are basically just standing on the sidelines yelling "FAKE!!!11".

I've explained this to you a few times, Shmeggley. Just because there appears to be a "webbing" or some other explanation, that doesn't mean it is a functional part of the experiment. It was probably added to divert suspicions.

I made this diagram to help you understand:

Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2014, 12:58:58 PM »
.... Most foucault pendulum's have a string or wire that holds the pendulum itself, this wire goes up into the ceiling (usually anchored on the roof of the building). On the roof near the anchor is where you'd find the motor controlling the pendulum. No one is going to see the motor unless they climb up onto the roof of the building the pendulum is housed in.

OK, but in this setup, the ball doesn't actually swing directly from the anchor point. They used a webbing to create a pivot point lower down to reduce friction, so how is a motor at the anchor point supposed to cause the precession observed?

If you could actually explain in detail how the fake Foucault pendulum works, that would be helpful. If you can't, you may as well just keep hand waving and say it's done with smoke and mirrors, or magnets, or a hidden hamster wheel in the ball or something. Unless you can give an account of how you get the results obtained through trickery, you are basically just standing on the sidelines yelling "FAKE!!!11".

I've explained this to you a few times, Shmeggley. Just because there appears to be a "webbing" or some other explanation, that doesn't mean it is a functional part of the experiment. It was probably added to divert suspicions.

Awww, that's adorable!  :-*

But your "motor" doesn't seem to be attached to anything! It just seems to be sitting there next to the... is that blob at the top the knot holding the rope up at the top? What is the motor's relation to the rope? Is it just vibrating it, or winding it, spinning it or what? Can you clarify what you mean please?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »

Wait... this looks kinda familiar, where have I seen something like this... Oh yeah!

Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Vauxhall

« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2014, 01:30:31 PM »
The motors are usually rudimentary wind up machines. A human or a trained ape needs to be continuously winding it up for the pendulum to move. I'm not an engineer, so I can't explain the specifics.

Half-Life 2 is a great game. But let's try to stay on topic here, Shmeggles.
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
The motors are usually rudimentary wind up machines. A human or a trained ape needs to be continuously winding it up for the pendulum to move. I'm not an engineer, so I can't explain the specifics.

You're not an engineer, but you do understand string theory, yet you can't explain how a motor moves a pendulum's arc in a circle... huh. Disappointing.

So you don't really know how it works, yet you're sure that it does work and is responsible for the results. Sounds about par for the course for an FE'er
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:45:39 PM by Shmeggley »

« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
Watch, and allow your minds to be blown with REAL science.

I especially encourage FE hypothesizers to watch.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Vauxhall

« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »

You're not an engineer, but you do understand string theory, yet you can't explain how a motor moves a pendulum's arc in a circle... huh. Disappointing.

So you don't really know how it works, yet you're sure that it does work and is responsible for the results. Sounds about par for the course for an FE'er

I know it works that way because I've observed it in action.
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »

I have to admit, the combination of the "overly dramatic music" and real science getting done was thrilling.

« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »

I have to admit, the combination of the "overly dramatic music" and real science getting done was thrilling.

Same

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »

You've observed it, you've actually set it up with motors yourself, yet you can't explain it? You do recall posting this I hope:

Are you going to type something worth reading or just keep telling me to build my own? For your information, I have built my own and it only worked with an electric motor. I also built one that worked (according to your idea of "worked") with magnets. Without something guiding the pendulum, it doesn't work. Why don't you build your own?

Something about your story doesn't make sense. Can we cut to the chase and you just admit to whatever it is you're lying about this time?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:53:49 PM by Shmeggley »

« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

You've observed it, you've actually set it up with motors yourself, yet you can't explain it? Something about your story doesn't make sense. Can we cut to the chase and you just admit to whatever it is you're lying about this time?

He also claims to have video of Boyle's flask demonstrating perpetual energy, he even said he would post it. Yet here I wait, no video to be seen.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

You've observed it, you've actually set it up with motors yourself, yet you can't explain it? Something about your story doesn't make sense. Can we cut to the chase and you just admit to whatever it is you're lying about this time?

He also claims to have video of Boyle's flask demonstrating perpetual energy, he even said he would post it. Yet here I wait, no video to be seen.

I suppose if Vauxhall weren't such a terrible yet persistent liar, he'd be far less entertaining.

Vauxhall

« Reply #252 on: May 28, 2014, 02:57:09 PM »
Many of my files have been lost in a  house fire a few weeks ago. I've explained this before. Try to have a bit more tact, because it was a seriously tragic incident. I currently live in my car and steal internet from Starbucks with my netbook.

I wasn't the only one who set up the pendulum, some other users from this forum helped me. My good friend ZeteticZeus69 actually created the motor, while I got the materials for the project. It was a group effort, so I can't explain every facet of the experiment to you.
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #253 on: May 28, 2014, 02:58:50 PM »
Many of my files have been lost in a  house fire a few weeks ago. I've explained this before. Try to have a bit more tact, because it was a seriously tragic incident. I currently live in my car and steal internet from Starbucks with my netbook.

I wasn't the only one who set up the pendulum, some other users from this forum helped me. My good friend ZeteticZeus69 actually created the motor, while I got the materials for the project. It was a group effort, so I can't explain every facet of the experiment to you.

You told me 2 days ago you would post a video......

I'm sorry about your house.

Vauxhall

« Reply #254 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:01 PM »
Thank you, Shmeggley. For reminding me of my magnet pendulum, which displayed the same movement that a "working foucault pendulum" would under your hypothesis.

The idea behind this was to put extremely powerful magnets all around the base of the pendulum. These magnets would then pull the pendulum to them, but since there are several magnets surrounding the pendulum you get a circle motion effect because of all the forces acting on the pendulum.

Here is a diagram:

Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #255 on: May 28, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

So your friend set it up, you just observed. The same friend who mysteriously disappeared one day. Since you don't know what he did exactly, how do you know he wasn't lying to you?

Vauxhall

« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »

So your friend set it up, you just observed. The same friend who mysteriously disappeared one day. Since you don't know what he did exactly, how do you know he wasn't lying to you?

He could have been lying, but I saw the motor myself and I saw its effect on the rope the pendulum was attached to. Also, please see my magnet diagram because that works exactly how it should according to your science... the only difference is that the shape of the Earth has nothing to do with it. You can make one of these yourself at home on a smaller scale and it will give you the same results.
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #257 on: May 28, 2014, 03:24:58 PM »

He could have been lying, but I saw the motor myself and I saw its effect on the rope the pendulum was attached to. Also, please see my magnet diagram because that works exactly how it should according to your science... the only difference is that the shape of the Earth has nothing to do with it. You can make one of these yourself at home on a smaller scale and it will give you the same results.

Great, can you post the details here so someone can try to replicate the results?

Vauxhall

« Reply #258 on: May 28, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »

The details are pretty obvious here. Can you not see the diagram?

1) Get a pendulum
2) hang it
3) get 5 or so magnets
4) arrange them around the pendulum about 10 feet apart from each other on all sides
5) let go of the pendulum
6) watch the pendulum circle about due to magnetism.
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
You're right, it's suddenly very clear exactly what is going on here.  ;)

Vauxhall

« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
You ask for an explanation. I give you one. You ridicule me. What's up with that?
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
You ask for an explanation. I give you one. You ridicule me. What's up with that?

You're right, I suppose I should thank you for making your trolling so blatantly obvious that I don't even need to spend any time on debunking it.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2014, 03:50:11 PM »
Your friend used to post on these forums? Tell me again why an admin deleted his account and all his posts.

A bunch of magnets might well cause a pendulum to "circle about" but do they cause it to swing in a straight arc that precesses exactly once every day or so (depending on latitude)? I don't see how, unless you had a much more specific setup than the one you describe. Have the magnets somehow constrain the pendulum's arc then motorise them to precess exactly once per 24/sin(latitude) hours.
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:31 PM »
Accounts get deleted all the time to save server space.  I am not saying this is what happened.  Just saying that it happens. 

Vauxhall

« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
Your friend used to post on these forums? Tell me again why an admin deleted his account and all his posts.

A bunch of magnets might well cause a pendulum to "circle about" but do they cause it to swing in a straight arc that precesses exactly once every day or so (depending on latitude)? I don't see how, unless you had a much more specific setup than the one you describe. Have the magnets somehow constrain the pendulum's arc then motorise them to precess exactly once per 24/sin(latitude) hours.

Yep. This is easily one of the best explanations for creating a specific pattern for the pendulum's movements. I think you explained it best.

You guys are still arguing that foucault pendulum's movements cannot be replicated without the Earth's rotation, right?
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »

Yep. This is easily one of the best explanations for creating a specific pattern for the pendulum's movements. I think you explained it best.

You guys are still arguing that foucault pendulum's movements cannot be replicated without the Earth's rotation, right?

Actually, I'm still maintaining that an unaltered pendulum precesses in response to the Earth's rotation. You're still failing to show convincingly that it can be faked with magnets and/or motors.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
Who ever claimed that you couldn't slowly rotate a pendulum without rotating the whole earth? Of course you can, pendulums are weak and we are stong! The claim is that people aren't doing that. Our friend Dr Agnabusi, for example had no visible motor nor motive to go through all that work for fun, then lie about it to strangers.

Oh, and while google has results for other members, it has no results at all for zeteticzeus69. It crawled profiles and posts from members who signed up in 2005, posted 11 times then left, but has nothing cached for your friend :)

Vauxhall

« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
That's because I believe his account was deleted and wiped from the internet by agents of the conspiracy. They aren't going to leave a record of it.

At least you all are now accepting that a pendulum's motion can easily be manipulated by outside forces to create the illusion that the Earth is roatitng. That's all I wanted to hear.
Read the FAQS.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »
Who ever claimed that you couldn't slowly rotate a pendulum without rotating the whole earth? Of course you can, pendulums are weak and we are stong! The claim is that people aren't doing that. Our friend Dr Agnabusi, for example had no visible motor nor motive to go through all that work for fun, then lie about it to strangers.

Oh, and while google has results for other members, it has no results at all for zeteticzeus69. It crawled profiles and posts from members who signed up in 2005, posted 11 times then left, but has nothing cached for your friend :)

My word, the conspiracy must be more powerful and subtle than we ever imagined! Think of what it would take to selectively delete any trace of a single user from the Google search engine servers!

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2014, 04:53:15 PM »
That's all you wanted to hear? That some things can be faked? :D Nobody's been saying otherwise for 14 long pages.