Let's discuss this particular photo from SpaceX

• 144 Replies
Let's discuss this particular photo from SpaceX
« on: May 18, 2014, 08:27:22 AM »
Here is an image taken by SpaceX's unmanned Dragon capsule on May 18, 2014: http://i.space.com/images/i/000/039/376/original/dragon-before-release.png?1400418682.

Obviously it appears to show a round earth.  Flat-earth proponents will undoubtedly claim that this photo was doctored or that the capsule that took the photo doesn't even exist -- that the entire mission is fake.

My question is this: why would SpaceX, a private company owned by extremely wealthy PayPal founder Elon Musk, doctor photos to make it appear the earth is a spheroid?  What incentive would Musk, a well-respected technologist/engineer/scientist have to participate in such a hoax?
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Let's discuss this particular photo from SpaceX
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 08:54:16 AM »
My question is this: why would SpaceX, a private company owned by extremely wealthy PayPal founder Elon Musk, doctor photos to make it appear the earth is a spheroid?  What incentive would Musk, a well-respected technologist/engineer/scientist have to participate in such a hoax?

SpaceX gets the majority of its funding from NASA.  Of course they are going to show any pictures that NASA wants them to.  Lots of people have gotten extremely wealthy by pretending to develop this technology.  They are not going to give up that gravy train anytime soon.

As of May 2012, SpaceX had operated on total funding of approximately $1 billion in its first ten years of operation. Of this, private equity provided about $200M, with Musk investing approximately $100M and other investors having put in about $100M (Founders Fund, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, ...).[33] The remainder has come from progress payments on long-term launch contracts and development contracts.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »
You chose a bad photo though. You can see the Dragon in that shot, grappled by the robotic arm, so it cannot be taken by it, of course.
I have yet to see evidence that Lunar Eclipses even exist.  Have you ever seen one?

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
So is your theory that SpaceX is a massive hoax and they have never launched any space vehicles? 
Sceptimatic is a proven liar - he claims to have authored several books but won't reveal their names.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
Mine? Not at all. I'm just saying that that photo was not taken by Dragon, but from the ISS.
I have yet to see evidence that Lunar Eclipses even exist.  Have you ever seen one?

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 09:09:12 AM »
Sorry, I was referring to JROA. 
Why would Elon Musk, a guy with a proven record for technological innovation and a sincere interest in engineering and space, participate in a massive conspiracy to deny the true flatness of the earth?  He doesn't need money from NASA, since he's already extremely wealthy. 

The problem with all these conspiracy theories is they their proponents never -- and I do mean NEVER -- show any evidence for their claims. For instance, has a single person ever come forward and said "I can't keep this secret any longer.  I worked on the NASA (or SpaceX or ISS) hoax and I now want to reveal the truth." ? 

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 09:14:34 AM »
Sorry, I was referring to JROA. 
Why would Elon Musk, a guy with a proven record for technological innovation and a sincere interest in engineering and space, participate in a massive conspiracy to deny the true flatness of the earth?  He doesn't need money from NASA, since he's already extremely wealthy. 

The problem with all these conspiracy theories is they their proponents never -- and I do mean NEVER -- show any evidence for their claims. For instance, has a single person ever come forward and said "I can't keep this secret any longer.  I worked on the NASA (or SpaceX or ISS) hoax and I now want to reveal the truth." ?

Nope, all they can do is a comedian that claims to have been an artist for nasa making artist renditions

V

• icosatetrachoron
Re: Explain me this
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
Not one whistleblower, not one photo.
i don't need a signature. go away.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
Elon is most likely clueless about the true shape of the Earth.  He's not an astronaut. 

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:48 AM »
Elon is most likely clueless about the true shape of the Earth.  He's not an astronaut. 

You lower the collective IQ of the world each time you post.

Bottom line is this...........there are a ton of conspiracies that are likely true. Governments do evil stuff every day. They have since man became civilized enough to govern himself. As Shakespeare taught us in Macbeth.......power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The shape of the earth isn't a conspiracy. There is no motive behind hiding the shape of the Earth. Man has known far too long what the shape is and there is no way the NASA "conspiracy" you morons bring up makes any kind of logical sense.

NASA might be involved in conspiracies dealing with alien life or hiding technology or something of that nature. The chances they are hiding the shape of the Earth is absolute zero.
You did not ask me for logic.  You asked for my opinion. - Jroa

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »

Bottom line is this...........there are a ton of conspiracies that are likely true. Governments do evil stuff every day. They have since man became civilized enough to govern himself. As Shakespeare taught us in Macbeth.......power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The shape of the earth isn't a conspiracy. There is no motive behind hiding the shape of the Earth. Man has known far too long what the shape is and there is no way the NASA "conspiracy" you morons bring up makes any kind of logical sense.

NASA might be involved in conspiracies dealing with alien life or hiding technology or something of that nature. The chances they are hiding the shape of the Earth is absolute zero.

You're about the most indoctrined someone can get, huh?
Read the FAQS.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:09 AM »

Clearly.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »

Where is the single place to find all the fe evidence?

ps, please answer Australia distance question if nobody else will.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:51:45 AM by inquisitive »

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
You chose a bad photo though. You can see the Dragon in that shot, grappled by the robotic arm, so it cannot be taken by it, of course.
Indeed this is entirely true. The picture had to have been taken by the ISS in this case.
The OP shows it tethered.
Here's a picture where it's a bit more apparent.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
If you don't like that photo, then select any of the thousands of photos you can find on the web -- photos taken by numerous sources -- from government space programs to private satellite companies.  The FE people claim that each and every one of those photos that show a round earth has been faked.  Right? 

Why has nobody ever leaked an original, un-doctored image that shows a flat earth?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
If you don't like that photo, then select any of the thousands of photos you can find on the web -- photos taken by numerous sources -- from government space programs to private satellite companies.  The FE people claim that each and every one of those photos that show a round earth has been faked.  Right? 

Why has nobody ever leaked an original, un-doctored image that shows a flat earth?
The conspiracy knows no bounds.
I think you're underestimating the extent of their reach and also underestimating their vast amount of resources.
I think you're overestimating the amount of people that have really been in "space".
As of November 6, 2013, a total of 536 people from 38 countries have gone into space according to the FAI guideline (543 people have qualified when including the US Department of Defense classification). Of the 536, three people completed only a sub-orbital flight, 533 people reached Earth orbit, 24 traveled beyond low Earth orbit and 12 walked on the Moon.
NASA employs ~17,900 people, probably a very small percent of which have the type of clearance to access original photographs, etc.

I am correct.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
NASA employs ~17,900 people, probably a very small percent of which have the type of clearance to access original photographs, etc.

And again I ask...........why would there even be a conspiracy in the first place?

What does NASA gain?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »

And again I ask...........why would there even be a conspiracy in the first place?

What does NASA gain?
Billions upon billions of dollars.
Is that really not a motive?

I am correct.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 01:42:03 PM »

Why would they need to create a conspiracy and lie about the shape of the earth in order to get billions of dollars?

That doesn't compute.

They want billions of dollars so they lie about the shape of the Earth........even though the shape of the earth was known a very very long time before NASA even came into existence?

There is zero logic there. Zero.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »

What does NASA gain?
So what do the people who work for NASA and all the satellite companies and the earth station manufacturers and the dish manufacturers and installers actually do?

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 01:48:09 PM »

Why would they need to create a conspiracy and lie about the shape of the earth in order to get billions of dollars?

That doesn't compute.

They want billions of dollars so they lie about the shape of the Earth........even though the shape of the earth was known a very very long time before NASA even came into existence?

People were mistaken and misled about the shape of the Earth in the past, more than once.
The Earth being flat means that NASA cannot really do things like sustain the orbit of the ISS and go to the moon.
No Mars rovers, none of that.
If the Earth were round, on the other hand, it would open all sorts of doors and make the above things possible.
In reality, of course, they are not possible.
NASA lies about the shape of the Earth so people will give them money for things that would otherwise be impossible.

I am correct.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

That doesn't compute.

People were mistaken and misled about the shape of the Earth in the past, more than once.
The Earth being flat means that NASA cannot really do things like sustain the orbit of the ISS and go to the moon.
If the Earth were round, on the other hand, it would open all sorts of doors and make the above things possible.
NASA lies about the shape of the Earth so people will give them money for things that would otherwise be impossible.
You will have to explain exactly how things orbiting the earth providing us with various services actually work with some real evidence.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »

That doesn't compute.

You will have to explain exactly how things orbiting the earth providing us with various services actually work with some real evidence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratellite

I am correct.

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »

That doesn't compute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratellite
' is not yet commercially available;'

You cannot explain how GPS works today.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

People in the past didn't have a space program and astronauts. Nor satellites and the knowledge and resources we do today.

Moot point.

But it isn't flat. So.........moot point.

But they are............because they are happening. Right now. Look out your window.

That is just really dumb logic. Insanely idiotic.

NASA isn't lying about the shape of the Earth........the shape has been known for a very long time.

If we truly lived on a flat earth.........people in power, such as those at NASA, would find different ways to con people out of money.

Furthermore.........do you realize how much money NASA actually spends each year? If they are in it for the money.......why pour billions into new technology all the time and why fund research programs all over the globe and recruit new people every day. Wouldn't doing that potentially damage the conspiracy?

Zero logic.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:28 PM »

People in the past didn't have a space program and astronauts. Nor satellites and the knowledge and resources we do today.

Moot point.

But it isn't flat. So.........moot point.

But they are............because they are happening. Right now. Look out your window.

That is just really dumb logic. Insanely idiotic.

NASA isn't lying about the shape of the Earth........the shape has been known for a very long time.

If we truly lived on a flat earth.........people in power, such as those at NASA, would find different ways to con people out of money.

Furthermore.........do you realize how much money NASA actually spends each year? If they are in it for the money.......why pour billions into new technology all the time and why fund research programs all over the globe and recruit new people every day. Wouldn't doing that potentially damage the conspiracy?

Zero logic.
No need to be so nasty. Really.
I'm not going to dignify the first 3 responses to my quotes with a response, because all you did was use the idea of a round Earth to validate a round Earth.
You've been backed into a corner, so you flail your arms about and yell at me that the Earth is round and I'm an idiot.
How... graceful.

I am correct.

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 02:15:27 PM »

There is no need for you to be blatantly ignorant.....but that is what you're doing.

I'm not going to dignify the first 3 responses to my quotes with a response, because all you did was use the idea of a round Earth to validate a round Earth.

Round Earth isn't an idea, it's a fact. It's been proven. The Earth is an oblate spheroid.

You've been backed into a corner, so you flail your arms about and yell at me that the Earth is flat and I'm an idiot.

What corner have I been backed into?

My claims can be proven. Yours can not.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 02:17:47 PM »

There is no need for you to be blatantly ignorant.....but that is what you're doing.

Round Earth isn't an idea, it's a fact. It's been proven. The Earth is an oblate spheroid.

You've been backed into a corner, so you flail your arms about and yell at me that the Earth is round and I'm an idiot.

You're still just calling me names and yelling about a round Earth.

I am correct.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 02:18:54 PM »

And you are not calling names and yelling about a flat Earth?
i don't need a signature. go away.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »

And you are not calling names and yelling about a flat Earth?
I haven't called him any names, and I'm not yelling about any type of Earth. Refer to the rest of the thread.

I am correct.