Parallax's experiments.

• 12 Replies

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
Parallax's experiments.
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
Every part of 'Earth not a Globe' that I've read is comprised of only obvious errors and nonsense (sprinkled in an ocean of waffling), but any discussion of that has so far been lost in a big back and forth about whether Parallax had a real doctorate or not.
Have a look at this page. To take the very simplest example with minimal ambiguity or misunderstanding. Specifically at this:
When sitting in a rapidly-moving railway carriage, let a spring-gun 1 be fired forward, or in the direction in which the train is moving. Again, let the same gun be fired, but in the opposite direction; and it will be found that the ball or other projectile will always go farther in the first case than in the latter.
This doesn't happen, of course.

If you've ever been on a moving train, things tend not to leap off the table away from you and your drink usually doesn't spill out of the front of your cup due to the speed it (but not your cup!) has acquired from the train moving at 100mph. They served drinks on Concorde for god's sake.

Most importantly, the implication is that he actually performed this experiment -and trains were far from uncommon in the 19th century- yet educated people in the 18th century would have found his suggestion laughable - as we do now.

Is he educated?
Is he being honest?
He cannot be both, unless I'm missing something.

In fact, -on reflection- his claims that motion (rather than acceleration) would create measurable effects in this way gel very poorly with the idea that earth is a flat disk moving upwards at almost the speed of light. But that's another thread, I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:05:10 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

Re: Parallax's experiments.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
You are certainly correct about Parallax's experiments. Whatever his education or lack thereof, & there is 1 thread dedicated to that, & another that explores it, it can be ignored here. The ultimate fact is that he got many of his experiments wrong, or lied. I've been on trains, & my beer has never flown in my face due to acceleration. It has always gotten (happily for me) to my belly where it belongs. The man's credibility is questionable, to say the least.

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:17:58 AM »
This thread is going to boil down to whether or not Parallax had real credentials, again. I suggest someone lock this thread, unless there's some hidden meaning that I'm not grasping?
Read the FAQS.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 04:19:32 AM »
In case I wasn't clear, I am specifically not interested in whether he happened to have gone abroad and gotten a doctorate or not. I am concerned with almost every word he wrote being demonstrably false a hundred years earlier, let alone in his own day.

Was he a regular guy who was a bit simple?
Was he a regular guy who lied to sell books and lecture seats?

Neither of those questions change significantly if he were instead a doctor, emperor or trained chimp. The fact is that he was egregiously wrong, was it stupidity or duplicity?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 04:22:12 AM »
Nobody is correct 100% of the time.  Yet, you people seem to love to find one little mistake that someone made and use it as a weapon to ruin the person's credibility.  I am starting to think that RE'ers take lessons from the Democrats. 

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 04:34:29 AM »
Nobody is correct 100% of the time.  Yet, you people seem to love to find one little mistake that someone made and use it as a weapon to ruin the person's credibility.  I am starting to think that RE'ers take lessons from the Democrats.
Politicians are all the same. I wish they had a "none of the above" on the ballots.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:39:05 AM »
They (the people who are really in charge) put whom they want to on the ballots.  Are you just now realizing this? 

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 04:41:26 AM »
Yes, but the point of Jroa's comment was to try to whitewash Parallax's reputation. If he had made a few mistakes, that would be one thing. The fact is, he made a shit-ton of them. He was either an idiot or liar. That's where it ends.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 04:53:55 AM »
I am concerned with almost every word he wrote being demonstrably false a hundred years earlier, let alone in his own day.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 04:59:51 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 07:14:07 AM »
It is more like 100 little mistakes. Each of the 100 reasons Earth is not a Globe is one of them.

We are more than willing to accept many errors so long as there are also some successes. But he has absolutely nothing to show on the positive side of his works' balance.

At best, he was unaware that the 6 mile distance he used in most of his experiments is not far enough to get conclusive results. At worst, he knew exactly how to get inconsistent results that he could manipulate.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 07:21:27 AM »
To be honest, it comes down to the fact that Dude either willingly falsified his data, or chose to be easily fooled. In either case, Dude was a schmuck.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:46:09 AM »
To be honest, it comes down to the fact that Dude either willingly falsified his data, or chose to be easily fooled. In either case, Dude was a schmuck.

How DARE you talk about The Dude like in that tone! The dude is worthy of worship!

but i completely agree on parallax/rowbotham

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:51 PM »
Nobody is correct 100% of the time.

True, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day, which is more than can be said for Rowbotham...
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."