some questions on phlogiston

• 147 Replies
Re: some questions on phlogiston
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 09:04:49 AM »
Burn a match and release the Phlogiston within. 

That proves matches burn, it doesn't prove the existence of phlogiston.
I have yet to see evidence that Lunar Eclipses even exist.  Have you ever seen one?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
What does this phlogiston look like?

It looks like fire. 

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
I see. & can the amount of it be measured?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2014, 09:13:33 AM »
Yes, the matter being converted to energy can be measured.  Or, are you somehow saying it can't? 

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2014, 09:18:29 AM »
I don't mean that. I mean, can you capture the phlogiston & measure the amount thereof?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
It is pretty hot.  Maybe you can capture it? 

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:23 AM »
It is pretty hot.  Maybe you can capture it?
So you claim it exists, but have done nothing to confirm what it might consist of.  Any tests, analysis?

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
Yes, the matter being converted to energy can be measured.  Or, are you somehow saying it can't?

Which goes back to one of my original points: Why do different materials have different ignition temperatures, and different burning temperatures. If it was one material that was burning, it would be consistent, not variable.

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2014, 09:44:27 AM »
Very true. My wood dining table should burn @ the same temperature as a piece of high tempered steel. Phlogiston should not have different burning temperatures.

RealScientist

• Science does not care for Earth's shape
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 10:11:30 AM »
Could you somehow be unwittingly measuring dephlogisticated material and you are assuming that oxygen has been added?

Yes, and I could be using un-fairied material, or sacramented material, or there could be a witch affecting my experiment from Salem.

Fact is, each and every claim I can make is meaningless if I cannot use it to make predictions. And our current knowledge of Chemistry predicts in detail the events that happen during a fire, while phlogiston only gives you predictions after the fact. In other words, nothing.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »
But advances in science have shown that combustion can be better explained in different ways.

Or, so you have been told, and since you never question anything, you blindly proclaim that it makes total sense to you.

Let me ask 1 question. If phlogiston exists as an actual element, where does it belong on the Periodic Table of the Elements, & why isn't it there? How is its absence explained?

I did not say it was an element.  My theory is that it is a combination of elements that change into other elements through the phlogistication process.
So now carbon turns into gold? Are you trying to top sceptic by posting the dumbest thing you can think of?
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »

Which goes back to one of my original points: Why do different materials have different ignition temperatures, and different burning temperatures. If it was one material that was burning, it would be consistent, not variable.

You are making up a great story.  Keep up the good work.  It would be almost believable, if not for the lack of evidence. 

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »

You are making up a great story.  Keep up the good work.  It would be almost believable, if not for the lack of evidence.
Where is your evidence that elements change to different elements when they burn?
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
Why doesn't this work in the absence of oxygen?
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2014, 01:57:40 PM »
Why doesn't this work in the absence of oxygen?

Hey, you got your quotes wrong, i didn't say that ;)
I have yet to see evidence that Lunar Eclipses even exist.  Have you ever seen one?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
Perhaps in order to completely dephlogistinize, a material needs to be in the presence of oxygen?

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2014, 03:48:50 PM »
Next question: what about when using a stove? An electric stove has the element getting very hot, but clearly not going away like wood. In other words the mettle element is not hot enough to 'burn' or release phlogiston. But yet it gets damned hot. How is it that my dining table (cherry, I think) would likely 'burn' (release phlogiston) @ that temperature, but the element does not? & what IS it doing in releasing heat?

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Next question: what about when using a stove? An electric stove has the element getting very hot, but clearly not going away like wood. In other words the mettle element is not hot enough to 'burn' or release phlogiston. But yet it gets damned hot. How is it that my dining table (cherry, I think) would likely 'burn' (release phlogiston) @ that temperature, but the element does not? & what IS it doing in releasing heat?

Heating elements and wood are the same thing now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heating_element
Read the FAQS.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »

Heating elements do not last forever.  They can only stay hot for a certain amount of time before they quit working.  Also, the heat from a heating element does not come from combustion, but usually from electrical current flowing through a resistive material.  In other words, the heat is produced by electrical power. 

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2014, 04:00:35 PM »
The ? is still a valid one. All things should release phlogiston @ the same time, no?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
Only when they are burning (combusting).  Just because something is getting hot, that does not mean it is actually on fire, now does it? 

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
jroa, how do you explain hot things to emit a glowing red light? You can see it in some resistors used by ovens or such.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
But advances in science have shown that combustion can be better explained in different ways.

Or, so you have been told, and since you never question anything, you blindly proclaim that it makes total sense to you.

Let me ask 1 question. If phlogiston exists as an actual element, where does it belong on the Periodic Table of the Elements, & why isn't it there? How is its absence explained?

I did not say it was an element.  My theory is that it is a combination of elements that change into other elements through the phlogistication process.
So now carbon turns into gold? Are you trying to top sceptic by posting the dumbest thing you can think of?
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Vauxhall

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
I'm not sure about carbon to gold, but I know scientists have turned lead into gold. Transmutation of lead into gold isn't just theoretically possible - it's a reality. There are reports that Glenn Seaborg, 1951 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, succeeded in transmuting a minute quantity of lead into gold. There is an earlier report (around 1972) in which Soviet physicists at a nuclear research facility near Lake Baikal in Siberia accidentally discovered a reaction for turning lead into gold when they found the lead shielding of an experimental reactor had changed to gold.

If lead can turn to gold then I'm sure other elements can be turned into gold as well. It's really not as outrageous as you're making it out to be.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:30:42 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2014, 04:33:16 PM »
jroa, how do you explain hot things to emit a glowing red light? You can see it in some resistors used by ovens or such.

Incandescent light bulbs also emit light, yet they are not burning.  I really don't see where you people are going with this. 

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2014, 04:40:54 PM »
So you are not going to back up what you said. I guess we both know it was quite stupid.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Vauxhall

« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2014, 04:54:47 PM »
So you are not going to back up what you said. I guess we both know it was quite stupid.

It's not stupid. Please don't write my post off because it inconveniences your position:

I'm not sure about carbon to gold, but I know scientists have turned lead into gold. Transmutation of lead into gold isn't just theoretically possible - it's a reality. There are reports that Glenn Seaborg, 1951 Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, succeeded in transmuting a minute quantity of lead into gold. There is an earlier report (around 1972) in which Soviet physicists at a nuclear research facility near Lake Baikal in Siberia accidentally discovered a reaction for turning lead into gold when they found the lead shielding of an experimental reactor had changed to gold.

If lead can turn to gold then I'm sure other elements can be turned into gold as well. It's really not as outrageous as you're making it out to be.
Read the FAQS.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2014, 05:00:43 PM »

It's not stupid. Please don't write my post off because it inconveniences your position:

Except Jroa said burning elements change into other elements. I am aware that if you smash two atoms together they can combine if the energy is high enough. Or that if an atom breaks apart it will change to other elements. These two ideas have nothing to do with what Jroa said.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
No, I said that when Phlogiston is spent, it likely is converted into something else. 

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »
No, I said that when Phlogiston is spent, it likely is converted into something else. 
Quote from: Jroa
My theory is that it is a combination of elements that change into other elements through the phlogistication process.
No, you didn't.
Sokarul

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Run Sandokhan run