How many people and agencies use GPS in the world?

• 90 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
How many people and agencies use GPS in the world?
« on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:06 AM »
I think the FE'ers don't realize how much GPS is used in this world. They think it is on their iPhone, handheld and in their cars as a toy. I'm curious to know if the FE'ers can tell me what countries does not use GPS. There are lots of agencies in the world that needs GPS for their jobs. Can you name a few? I don't think the FE'ers realize the enormity of this system. Come on FE'ers show us how you are up to date with this world.

?

Jorhan Brimve Stahl

• A disk is round. A sphere is round. Earth = Round.
Re: How many people and agencies use GPS in the world?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:31:13 AM »
I think the FE'ers don't realize how much GPS is used in this world. They think it is on their iPhone, handheld and in their cars as a toy. I'm curious to know if the FE'ers can tell me what countries does not use GPS. There are lots of agencies in the world that needs GPS for their jobs. Can you name a few? I don't think the FE'ers realize the enormity of this system. Come on FE'ers show us how you are up to date with this world.

Don't.
You're in for stories about how GPS doesn't work in valleys. I should have known that when I was out hiking, maybe then I would've gotten back home.
I don't suffer from schizophrenia and neither do I,

?

Starman

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 05:39:24 AM »
Don't.
You're in for stories about how GPS doesn't work in valleys. I should have known that when I was out hiking, maybe then I would've gotten back home.
Glad to you made it out safely. My point is not so much how it works but who in this world is using it.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:43:46 AM »
Don't.
Glad to you made it out safely. My point is not so much how it works but who in this world is using it.
Many millions, including as an accurate time source. In many smartphones and tablets.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:49:37 AM »
What difference does it make?  I already stated that I could actually build a GPS unit for very little money.  Most of the stuff happens inside the GPS receiver chip.  It is not rocket science to build one, let alone use it.  It does not matter where the signals are coming from.  You simply assume they are coming from outer space.  It works, whether the signals are coming from balloons, stratollites, pseudolites, or television antenna atop peoples homes.  The end user does not need to know the source in order to use the device. 

?

Starman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:33 AM »
What difference does it make?  I already stated that I could actually build a GPS unit for very little money.  Most of the stuff happens inside the GPS receiver chip.  It is not rocket science to build one, let alone use it.  It does not matter where the signals are coming from.  You simply assume they are coming from outer space.  It works, whether the signals are coming from balloons, stratollites, pseudolites, or television antenna atop peoples homes.  The end user does not need to know the source in order to use the device.
Yes you can get one pretty cheap but my topic is not how it is build or if it is coming from outer space(that is another topic) it is about how many people and agencies in this world are using it every day. Not just people in cars or camping but agencies to effect our lives. How it actually works can be discussed once you understand the enormity of it 's use. GPS is here to stay for now.

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:12 AM »
The discussion is about how GPS works, you are avoiding this discussion because it would mean the end of the FE theory.

Do you disagree with anything here - http://www.gps.gov/technical/ps/

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 06:05:52 AM »
Yes you can get one pretty cheap but my topic is not how it is build or if it is coming from outer space(that is another topic) it is about how many people and agencies in this world are using it every day. Not just people in cars or camping but agencies to effect our lives. How it actually works can be discussed once you understand the enormity of it 's use. GPS is here to stay for now.

I did not say they don't work.  I have GPS capabilities in my phone and 3 other phones that I no longer use.  I also have two car navigators.  And, I have a Garmin for hiking.  I know they work.  And, I know people who use them on private aircraft.  Yes, they work for the love of God.

The question is, where is the signal coming from?  Is it coming from a garbage can floating around in outer space?  It seems unlikely to me. 

?

Starman

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 06:11:41 AM »

I did not say they don't work.  I have GPS capabilities in my phone and 3 other phones that I no longer use.  I also have two car navigators.  And, I have a Garmin for hiking.  I know they work.  And, I know people who use them on private aircraft.  Yes, they work for the love of God.

The question is, where is the signal coming from?  Is it coming from a garbage can floating around in outer space?  It seems unlikely to me.
You are changing the topic. I mentioned that how it works can be discussed in another topic. You mentioned in private planes but you did not mentioned EVERY airliners from EVERY country in the world is required to use it. There are more agencies that use it. My topic to FE'ers is who other the average person uses GPS.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 06:18:38 AM »
Your question was, "How many people and agencies use GPS in the world?"  To this unreasonable question, I answered that even I use GPS and admitted it works, implying that it does not matter the exact number, because anyone could, in fact, use it. 

Are you wanting me do spend the weekend counting up the number of GPS units sold or some crap like that?  Because, I will tell you right now that, unless you have some sort of point to make, this whole thread seems to belong in Complete Nonsense. 

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 06:26:27 AM »
Your question was, "How many people and agencies use GPS in the world?"  To this unreasonable question, I answered that even I use GPS and admitted it works, implying that it does not matter the exact number, because anyone could, in fact, use it. 

Are you wanting me do spend the weekend counting up the number of GPS units sold or some crap like that?  Because, I will tell you right now that, unless you have some sort of point to make, this whole thread seems to belong in Complete Nonsense.
Agree.

Let us continue to discuss that the only way they can work is by using orbiting satellites, as shown on the display of most units.

?

Starman

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 06:28:58 AM »

Let me shorten it up for you. There are 90 million people that use GPS like you and me but their are more than that if you add other agencies like the military, civil aviation, surveying, search and rescue, country security, environment research, and many more. Let me ask this. How many countries do you think does not use GPS?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 06:32:16 AM »
Let me ask this. How many countries do you think does not use GPS?

Probably none.  I already told you it works.  I see no reason for any country to not use it. 

?

Jorhan Brimve Stahl

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 06:34:49 AM »
I'll just add the fact that it's Global Positioning System

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 06:37:13 AM »
If I was going to try to trick you into thinking the Earth is flat, I would have called it Planar Positioning System.  Do you see how this works? 

?

Starman

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »

Probably none.  I already told you it works.  I see no reason for any country to not use it.
You are right. It is free to use. "No assembly required" My point is every agency you can think of uses it. Every one from police, ambulance, fire department, fishing vessels, cruise ships, airplanes(small and large), weapons, tanks, jets, tankers, cargo ships, trucking companies, and even pirates. Are there any place on earth it will not work(I don't mean underground or water)?

?

Starman

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 06:42:31 AM »
If I was going to try to trick you into thinking the Earth is flat, I would have called it Planar Positioning System.  Do you see how this works?
We can discuss that in another topic if you want.

?

Jorhan Brimve Stahl

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 06:46:32 AM »

If I was going to trick you into believing the Earth was cuboid, I wouldn't have left clues that in a conspiracy theorist's mind are obvious. "Positioning System" would indeed be of real suspicion. 

Actually. If I was going to trick you into believing the Earth was flat, I would make it widespread knowledge that the Earth was round so as to trigger questioning. Do you see how this works?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »

You are right. It is free to use. "No assembly required" My point is every agency you can think of uses it. Every one from police, ambulance, fire department, fishing vessels, cruise ships, airplanes(small and large), weapons, tanks, jets, tankers, cargo ships, trucking companies, and even pirates. Are there any place on earth it will not work(I don't mean underground or water)?

I really don't see the relevance of this thread.  You say it works, then I agree, then you say it works again, then I ask why you have to state that again, then you insist that it works, and I am ???

?

Starman

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »

I really don't see the relevance of this thread.  You say it works, then I agree, then you say it works again, then I ask why you have to state that again, then you insist that it works, and I am ???
My point is to make it short there is not other way GPS can works at every location of the world for all the countries for millions of people for countless agencies on a land base system. The technology to do that if you could would cost a lot more than the GPS system we have now. Even if you would have a land base system someone has to build it and take care of it. There would be tons of companies involved and everybody would see it. Besides you could not have world coverage to 20 feet and give altitude. You have some electronic training and you should know what your are talking about when it comes to things like that.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
Still don't see the relevance.  I am sorry if I am just not up to your knowledge on things, but it would seem to me that because accurate positioning can be done with terrestrial transmitters, then GPS by itself is not proof.  I hope you understand my reasoning. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 07:14:37 AM »
This more than amply answers your question. It's getting overlooked because it shows up the satellite ruse.
Imagine how many of these systems that would be needed around the worlds circle?
Probably about 20 transmitters would do the whole world as we know it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21728985.600-new-positioning-technology-could-compete-with-gps.html#.U1MNkHS3t3M

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 07:39:11 AM »
Well, alright, let's break this down.

The undisputed facts (I assume):
  • GPS works similarly wherever you are in the world.
  • GPS works less well with restricted line of sight.
  • Private entities can build new GPS receivers from first principles.

Before we try to carry on, are any of those significantly disputed?

Ps. scepti, transistors can hardly be claimed as evidence that vacuum tubes never existed in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:41:04 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

?

Starman

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 08:11:14 AM »
Still don't see the relevance.  I am sorry if I am just not up to your knowledge on things, but it would seem to me that because accurate positioning can be done with terrestrial transmitters, then GPS by itself is not proof.  I hope you understand my reasoning.
Man this site is really slow. Once you know how it exactly it works you can understand how it can't work from land transmitters. The American system uses 6 orbital path with 4 satellites per orbit for a total of 24. Because it covers every location on the planet you can use it literally anywhere. All you need is a minimum of three to work and that will give you an accuracy of about two hundred feet. Actually you will receive from 8 to 12 at a time from any place on the planet. This will give an accuracy to 20 feet. Now another thing, You could not receive more than 50 miles on ground based transmitters system. Let me give you an example. FM radio transmit for about 100 miles but their transmitter are using 250,000 watts of power. To have a ground base transmitter system you would need at least 10 transmitter every 50 miles in a square grid covering the whole planet. Does that make sense to you. How about the oceans and arctic areas where nobody have traveled.

?

Starman

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
This more than amply answers your question. It's getting overlooked because it shows up the satellite ruse.
Imagine how many of these systems that would be needed around the worlds circle?
Probably about 20 transmitters would do the whole world as we know it.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21728985.600-new-positioning-technology-could-compete-with-gps.html#.U1MNkHS3t3M
The American GPS system only needs 24 satellites to cover the world.
Locata not to replace GPS it uses ground-based equipment to project a radio signal over a localized area.The same idea was used for cell phones in malls.

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »
Existance of another system does not disprove the first.  There is no existing terrestial system that could give the equivalent coverage and accuracy we have with GPS today.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »
Ultimately, a terrestrial positioning system will be based on transmitters not drastically different in appearance to cell phone towers, they will service an area a few kilometres in all directions, and be limited by line of sight.

Is anyone suggesting that there have been towers like these on every part of the earth since the 70s? At sea? Every square inch of hickstick-nowhere?
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

?

Starman

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:36 PM »
Here is a picture on my Garmin GPS in my car. It shows my location, speed, elevation and satellites it sees and the strength. As you can see the accuracy is 3 meters. You could not do that with land base GPS. By the way there are 35 manufacture world wide like Garmin and Magellan that indicates satellites on their displays. Why would they show that if were no satellites used. The red dot is north and it shows the sun and moon location.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:47:32 PM by Starman »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
They are displaying how many signals they are picking up.  They tell you they are satellites and you blindly believe them without pause.  I bet you believe in the Easter Bunny too, don't you?  You can admit it to us. 

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 02:57:42 PM »
They are displaying how many signals they are picking up.  They tell you they are satellites and you blindly believe them without pause.  I bet you believe in the Easter Bunny too, don't you?  You can admit it to us.
Why should this be wrong? How about you explain how GPS works according to you with some evidence.