Occam's razor and the flat earth "theory"

• 75 Replies
Re: Occam's razor and the flat earth "theory"
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »
This is the internet.
Post the pictures and see if they stand up to scrutiny, or withdraw your argument.
So far, I've provided a picture that substantiates my claim.
So far, evildylan has not.
Maybe you thought the horizon was curved in the airplanes, just like markjo thought the horizon was curved on the top of mount Everest.

You have a picture, I have my own eyes backed up by a scientific paper that has facts and math to supplement what I saw. There are also hundreds of pictures out there that show a curved planet from altitude. I'd say I have the upper hand in this discussion.
Well, if you have the upper hand, I'm sure you could easily find one of these thousands of pictures that show a curved Earth from that altitude.
Right?

And once again, this is the internet. You're not innocent until proven guilty here, it's the other way around.
Pics or it didn't happen.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_609662&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=izIClWYKK1o&v=rApXqj6WS2E
@~50,000 ft.

We can go back and forth like this all day.
Besides, a commercial aircraft would only very rarely surpass 40,000 ft., so your argument is kind of bunk by your own doing.

Your fault for assuming I was on a commercial aircraft, I wasn't.
Well, my 2nd picture has been posted, both pictures I've posted depict a lack of significant curvature at 50-100k ft...
Again, pics or it didn't happen.

I like how you say significant curvature. Because there is curvature, just not significant enough for you, right? the video I posted shows very significant curvature.

I'm not going to post pictures from google and use that as evidence. I'm just telling you what I saw. I didn't expect you to believe it, and I don't expect that any amount of evidence to prove the earth is round would change your mind.

I read the paper and I will take what I've learned and put it into practice, unless I know that a picture was taken with the horizon in the center of the array, the picture may show concave or convex curvature I will not present such pictures as evidence without knowing.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »
This is the internet.
Post the pictures and see if they stand up to scrutiny, or withdraw your argument.
So far, I've provided a picture that substantiates my claim.
So far, evildylan has not.
Maybe you thought the horizon was curved in the airplanes, just like markjo thought the horizon was curved on the top of mount Everest.

You have a picture, I have my own eyes backed up by a scientific paper that has facts and math to supplement what I saw. There are also hundreds of pictures out there that show a curved planet from altitude. I'd say I have the upper hand in this discussion.
Well, if you have the upper hand, I'm sure you could easily find one of these thousands of pictures that show a curved Earth from that altitude.
Right?

And once again, this is the internet. You're not innocent until proven guilty here, it's the other way around.
Pics or it didn't happen.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_609662&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=izIClWYKK1o&v=rApXqj6WS2E
@~50,000 ft.

We can go back and forth like this all day.
Besides, a commercial aircraft would only very rarely surpass 40,000 ft., so your argument is kind of bunk by your own doing.

Your fault for assuming I was on a commercial aircraft, I wasn't.
Well, my 2nd picture has been posted, both pictures I've posted depict a lack of significant curvature at 50-100k ft...
Again, pics or it didn't happen.

I like how you say significant curvature. Because there is curvature, just not significant enough for you, right? the video I posted shows very significant curvature.

I'm not going to post pictures from google and use that as evidence. I'm just telling you what I saw. I didn't expect you to believe it, and I don't expect that any amount of evidence to prove the earth is round would change your mind.

I read the paper and I will take what I've learned and put it into practice, unless I know that a picture was taken with the horizon in the center of the array, the picture may show concave or convex curvature I will not present such pictures as evidence without knowing.
Well, I say significant curvature because obviously there are some vast inconsistencies here.
-markjo posts a picture from no more than 29,029 ft. showing obvious curvature.
-I post a picture at around 100k ft. showing little to no curvature.
-You post a video from 40-45k ft. showing obvious curvature.
-I post a picture from 50k ft. showing little to no curvature.

And again, Red Bull Stratos.
Before the wide-angle lens when he opens the capsule up at 127k ft. Watch it.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »
The FOV in that clip is far too small to get a good idea of curvature or not. You need a somewhat big FOV to get an idea. I mean looking at a beach ball with a microscope would leave you confused about what you're looking at, same thing with stratos.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
The FOV in that clip is far too small to get a good idea of curvature or not. You need a somewhat big FOV to get an idea. I mean looking at a beach ball with a microscope would leave you confused about what you're looking at, same thing with stratos.
Well if you didn't like that part of my post, look above it...

I am correct.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2014, 02:39:50 PM »
Commercial pilots will tell you that you can not see the curvature of the Earth from cruising altitude. 

Quote from: topsy1970
I am an airline pilot, and the highest I have been is 41000'. Can't say that I have noticed any curvature. Not that I have been specifically looking for it either though. I would also guess that one would have to be at least 20 miles up to notice a curve without any instruments.
Cheers

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2014, 03:08:37 PM »
The earths diameter 7918 miles. That is 41,807,040 ft.

50,000 ft is a hair over a thousandth of that diameter.

Think of the scale here. Do you seriously expect to see an obvious curvature at this minuscule height? The problem that FE'rs have is that they don't appreciate the sheer size of the earth.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »
Then, why do RE'ers claim that you can see the curvature from a plane, or even from the beach? 

th3rm0m3t3r0

• It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
Then, why do RE'ers claim that you can see the curvature from a plane, or even from the beach?
Or from Everest..............
I have a feeling we both know the reason, jroa.

I am correct.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
Or from Everest..............
I have a feeling we both know the reason, jroa.

RE'ers will claim that BS is true and will fight and kick the whole way. 

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »

Cause just like FE'rs there is a bunch of stupid RE'rs too. Not my problem.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »

We finally agree on something.  We are making process. 

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2014, 06:28:27 PM »

We finally agree on something.  We are making process.

Its not the first time that I've said that RE'rs are completely wrong when making these curvature claims.

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »
At 50k feet, you can see the curvature.

Rottingroom, you  make it sound like you only see 50k feet of the earths surface, from 50k feet you can see a far greater area depending on your FOV, enough to see curvature. As I said, I've seen it myself at 48k feet.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »

Rottingroom, you  make it sound like you only see 50k feet of the earths surface, from 50k feet you can see a far greater area depending on your FOV, enough to see curvature. As I said, I've seen it myself at 48k feet.

Maybe you have. These curvature debates end up just becoming a bunch of he said, she said so it's really not worth it to use this argument here. There are much more constructive ways to argue that the earth is round.

I do regard lynch's paper though. He says that we can see curvature 50,000 ft and I'm inclined to agree. The FE'rs want photographic evidence though and you're not going to get a wide enough field of view from a  plane to accomplish this for these forums.

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2014, 08:24:42 AM »

Maybe you have. These curvature debates end up just becoming a bunch of he said, she said so it's really not worth it to use this argument here. There are much more constructive ways to argue that the earth is round.

I do regard lynch's paper though. He says that we can see curvature 50,000 ft and I'm inclined to agree. The FE'rs want photographic evidence though and you're not going to get a wide enough field of view from a  plane to accomplish this for these forums.

Which is why I haven't posted any pictures. I could see it because I was looking at live video through a ZnSe window and a gimbal mounted mirror with a very wide fov.

?

QuQu

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47:33 AM »
You can't see the curvature on the standard flights. I think we all agree on this.