The Sun's Diameter Quandary - The Adventures of Mr. Thaddeus Blob

• 9 Replies
?

Jingle Jangle

• I breathe therefore I am

Mr. Blob possesses great curiosity... One day, he wished to observe the sun... Magical caliper in hand, he determined that the sun was forming a 3 degree angle from one end of the sun's diameter to another.

The Green Wonder knew from this information he can double check the sun's size...

Forming two right angle triangles with the triangle mid line allowed him to use trigonometry formulas...

Using trig, one has the power with degree measurements and collective height distance to determine the length of the base.  The base being the radius... 

His initial results received, he double checked the establishment's widely accepted values... They say the diameter of the sun is 864,327 miles, the radius 432,114 miles...

Unfortunately, with the distance of the sun being at 92,960,000 miles away and the radius being 432,114 (diameter 864,327 miles), the collective angle aperture for viewing would only be .54 degrees (.27 degrees for one half angle section)...  Look at the difference between 432,114 miles for science and the observed 2,434,243 miles for the radius from earth...  Too big of an error...

Mr. Blob sits in tears... The sun in the sky should be much smaller than told... Much, much closer...  He reaches his fist into the air, lollipop in hand...  A homemade Ti-2000 gives him strength to analyze...  It would only be a tiny little speck in the sky...

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Re: The Sun's Diameter Quandary - The Adventures of Mr. Thaddeus Blob
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:13:45 AM »
I am not sure what are you trying to show. The moon is about .5 degrees also and it is only 240,000 miles away.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:22:26 AM »
Mr Blob needs to get his magical calipers recalibrated, because both the Sun and Moon measure about .5 degrees.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:50:27 AM »
take a protractor and aim at the sun... It is much more than just .54 degrees of a viewing angle from earth...  You did not even try the experiment...

Those who did not understand need to look again and again... 

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 06:51:36 AM »
This evidence, honestly, cannot even be debated...  Solid mathematics beats just conversation and postulation...

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 07:02:03 AM »
Get a protractor with a swing arm attachment... Align each leg to point directly at the opposite ends of the sun... Use this angle, and one sees the obvious...

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »
Congratulations on being the first person in centuries of astronomy to point out that everyone else's measurements have been wrong all this time!
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »
Your measurements are drastically off. 1cm held 60cm away (arm's length) subtends about 1 and it's plain to see that the sun is much smaller than 3cm across at arm's length. I remember measuring the angular diameter of the sun in school, and a quick google shows that it's still a popular experiment with pages and pages of sites showing you how to do it.

I have a suspicion that pointing my phone camera directly at the sun will not yield a great deal, so I'll take a picture of the moon tonight with a ruler if it's in the right place and I remember.

/edit: Boy, I am looking forward to finding out whether absolutely all astronomy throughout the whole of human history has all been wrong! The suspense is killing me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:02:30 AM by Goddamnit, Clown »
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:05:26 AM »
Congratulations on being the first person in centuries of astronomy to point out that everyone else's measurements have been wrong all this time!
I think that honor goes to Galileo because he was right.
i don't need a signature. go away.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:20:08 PM »
I think that honor goes to Galileo because he was right.

Galileo didn't show that everyone's measurements were wrong. He showed that they were wrong.
They didn't make any measurements at all.
The thing that makes things fall is the weight of the object falling.
Wow.