All the sides of the moon should be seen.

• 50 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
All the sides of the moon should be seen.
« on: April 21, 2014, 04:26:28 AM »
If the moon is as close as claimed (2300 miles) and the sun is going around the moon 28 times in a month then all of the moon's top, bottom and back should be seen. The 2300 miles is the same distance from New york to Las Vegas.

?

Starman

Re: All the sides of the moon should be seen.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »
I think the FE'ers don't get it or does not want to challenge the idea. If the moon can be 3000 miles away you could see the side of it. Therefor the moon is NOT 3000 miles away.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
Well which is it, 2300 or 3000 miles away?

?

Starman

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:53:32 PM »
You tell me. I think 3000 is the number but some FE have said 2300. The FAQ indicates 3000 miles. What is the official story?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Starman has run out of ammo and is now just rambling to make it seem like he still has a point.  We understand, there Starman.  Just make stuff up and don't provide evidence and maybe us dumb FE'ers will believe you. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »
You tell me. I think 3000 is the number but some FE have said 2300. The FAQ indicates 3000 miles. What is the official story?

You tell me, too. ???

I have seen another FE saying 15 KM. But I have published proof and evidence that the moon is 237,150 Miles from the earth (an approximation but close to more accurate measurements.) I think Starman has a valid point - if the moon is as FE imagines. Since it really  isn't you can't see all sides of the moon.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 03:58:55 PM »
why would our spherical moon be visible from all sides? It circles the Earth but apparently does not rotate. That is why we only see one side. (also remember, yes it is close, 3100 miles, but it is also very small,only 32 miles in diameter.)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:39:39 PM »
Because 3000 miles is too close to see almost the exact the same face of a sphere from points several hundred miles to a thousand or more miles apart.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Considering the distance to the moon and the size and shape of the earth, according to FE, it would depend on where you were located on the earth as to what you would see - the front, back or bottom side of the moon.

However, how would you be able to see the top side of the moon ?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:31:18 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 02:45:23 AM »
You people are assuming the moon is a sphere. You see the same face because it's not a sphere at all. It moves over the Earth from one side to the other, so people on one side of the Earth will see it face up and as it passes over to the other side, people from that side will see it face down.
It's like shining a batman torch over your ceiling. You start off seeing the bat the right side up and as you move the beam over your head and behind you, making sure you don't twist the torch, you will see the bat upside down.

So what does that tell us?
It tells us that what we are seeing is a reflection of light moving, not a physical body in the sky.

?

Starman

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »
why would our spherical moon be visible from all sides? It circles the Earth but apparently does not rotate. That is why we only see one side. (also remember, yes it is close, 3100 miles, but it is also very small,only 32 miles in diameter.)
The size does not matter. If the moon is 3000 miles above New York a person 3000 miles away should see some of the sides. How hard it is to understand. If someone stands 20 feet away in from you and you move 20 feet to one side you will start to see the side of the person.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »

You tell me, too. ???

I have seen another FE saying 15 KM. But I have published proof and evidence that the moon is 237,150 Miles from the earth (an approximation but close to more accurate measurements.) I think Starman has a valid point - if the moon is as FE imagines. Since it really  isn't you can't see all sides of the moon.
Show us the proof, please.

?

Starman

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »

You tell me, too. ???

Could you edit your statement. I can't make sense of it.

?

Starman

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:53:19 PM »
ok. Take a beach ball or a basket ball or soccer ball and put it 50 feet away. Take a good look at it. Then move 50 feet left or right from it. You will notice that you can see a bit of the sides of it. Now move 70 feet. you will see more of the sides. That is how the moon will look like on a flat earth from different locations if the moon is as close as they say.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
If the moon is as close as claimed (2300 miles) and the sun is going around the moon 28 times in a month then all of the moon's top, bottom and back should be seen. The 2300 miles is the same distance from New york to Las Vegas.

How would you see the moon's top ?

Chorus:

?

Starman

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »

If you go north 3000 miles you should see more of the top not all of it. Same if you go south. You can't have the moon that close to the earth and not see parts of it your are at different places on the flat earth. Because the moon is really 240,000 mils away you can see the sides if you change location on the earth.

?

Starman

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
The moon is 240,000 miles away and the earth is 7926 miles in diameter. That means the moon is 32.3 times further away than the diameter of the earth.
On the FE, the land is open up flat so it is about 15,000 miles in diameter and the moon is 3000 miles away. That means the moon is 5.3 times further away than the diameter of the earth. To put in another way the moon is close enough that you can see the sides of it if you look at it from different places on the earth. Does that make sense?

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 07:07:37 PM »
You people are assuming the moon is a sphere. You see the same face because it's not a sphere at all. It moves over the Earth from one side to the other, so people on one side of the Earth will see it face up and as it passes over to the other side, people from that side will see it face down.
It's like shining a batman torch over your ceiling. You start off seeing the bat the right side up and as you move the beam over your head and behind you, making sure you don't twist the torch, you will see the bat upside down.

So what does that tell us?
It tells us that what we are seeing is a reflection of light moving, not a physical body in the sky.
Nope.  It tells us the moon is a sphere 240,000 miles away.

Unlike your batman torch, I've never seen the moon set upside-down from when it rose.  Also, your batman torch may appear round to you as you aim it at the ceiling, but someone else in a different part of the room will see it as oblong or oval.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »

If you go north 3000 miles you should see more of the top not all of it. Same if you go south. You can't have the moon that close to the earth and not see parts of it your are at different places on the flat earth. Because the moon is really 240,000 mils away you can see the sides if you change location on the earth.

Sorry. I guess I misinterpreted your statement that you could see all of the top. Which would mean you were above the moon looking down on it. But it makes sense that you could see more of any side of the moon - including  part of the top - depending on your location on the earth - if the moon was according to FE, that is.

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 08:46:36 PM »

You tell me, too. ???

See this subject (topic) thread.:
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=58190.0#.U1c0yZt5GEo
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:50:42 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 11:52:29 AM »
Do all radio waves travel at the same speed?  I will look into it, just asking if you know beforehand.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 12:17:17 PM »
Do all radio waves travel at the same speed?  I will look into it, just asking if you know beforehand.

i'm sorry, you didnt quote anyone, so I don't know if you want an answer from someone specific or not (although, that wouldn't likely stop me from answering):

Yes, all radio waves, in fact all waves within the electro-magnetic spectrum, move at the same speed. What changes is the frequency, or length of the wave. a longer wave, will have a lower frequency, meaning it occurs less often within a given time frame.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:24 PM »
ok. Take a beach ball or a basket ball or soccer ball and put it 50 feet away. Take a good look at it. Then move 50 feet left or right from it. You will notice that you can see a bit of the sides of it. Now move 70 feet. you will see more of the sides. That is how the moon will look like on a flat earth from different locations if the moon is as close as they say.

Correct me if the reasoning is flawed.:
Consider the beach ball as also being suspended 50 feet above the ground.
If the beach ball was directly above you, you would see the bottom of the beach ball.
If you move away from that point and move around in a circle 50 feet from the point where the ball was above you, you would see the front, back and sides of the beach ball as you move around it.
???

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

The question was probably directed at my post.

Yes. The speed of radio waves is a constant - approximately 186,000 miles per second.

The distance was computed by using the time for the radio waves to reach the moon, bounce off the surface of the moon and be received back on earth. Then simply multiplying the time by the speed of radio waves gives the distance as shown on the thread .

But the distance wasn't 3,000 miles.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:30:46 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »
So, the distance to the moon was calculated using radio waves, and then the speed of the radio waves was calculated using the distance to the moon?  Does this reasoning not seem a little circular to you? 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
So, the distance to the moon was calculated using radio waves, and then the speed of the radio waves was calculated using the distance to the moon?  Does this reasoning not seem a little circular to you?

No. As stated : The speed of radio waves is a known constant. It wasn't calculated by using the distance to moon.

This is the basic concept of RADAR , which is just an acronym for "Radio Detection And Ranging."
The measurements are the same. Time  multiplied by speed equals distance. This reasoning applies to any type of operation. You might consider the ham radio measurements a rather  simple type of a RADAR measurement.

Using laser beams (which travel at the speed of light-which is approximately the same as the speed of radio waves) , reflectors on the moon left there by the astronauts and more sophisticated equipment the distance from the earth to the moon has now been calculated to within 1 centimeter. Of course this is all probably going to be called "fake" by FE's, but it is simply a matter of fact. The ham radio measurments were no way that close but they were within the "ball park figures" for the distance.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:11:12 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »
This sounds like circular reasoning to me.  If A=B, then A must = B.  Please read up on circular reasoning. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
This sounds like circular reasoning to me.  If A=B, then A must = B.  Please read up on circular reasoning.

I'm sorry but you just don't seem to get it. If it didn't work this way, RADAR wouldn't work. But it does.

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »
I was like you, Googleotemt, once.  I believed everything that they told me.  Later, I started to think for myself.  I hope you do the same soon. 

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2014, 02:27:09 PM »

You mean like with your distance to the sun calculation?

But here's how we know the speed of light:

Way back in the 1600's, a scientist was doing some observations on the moons of jupiter, hoping to create a sort of sky clock for travellers based on their rotation. After years of data collecting, he noticed something: when we were closer to jupiter in our orbit, an eclipse of the moon io appeared to be quicker than the same moon eclipse as to when we were further away from io. (hopefully) Obviously it's clear that the orbit of the moon wasn't changing, and so there had to be another phenomenon causing this, and the scientist realized that it was the difference in time that light was taking to get to us that was the difference in length of eclipses.