Can anyone spot the error?

• 1032 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Re: Can anyone spot the error?
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
Did you notice the second shot is closer and not in the same place. What is the issue?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
Did you notice the second shot is closer and not in the same place. What is the issue?

It is in the same place. Check the five marked features. I have clearly stated the issue.
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

?

Starman

« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »

It is in the same place. Check the five marked features. I have clearly stated the issue.
The landing pad and astronaut is larger in the second picture so it is closer.

« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:38 PM »
To me, it looks like Photo 2 is taken from someone in the area where the astronaut is in Photo 1.

Math work:

In picture 2, The angle from a straight line, running through the base of the lander leg's bottom corner, to "object a" is ~ 27 degrees.  From about the same spot (as well as I can draw and measure angles within gimp), the angle in picture 1 is only ~21 degrees. That leads me to believe that not only did the photographer move in, but also moved closer to the lander, which may explain the apparent change in angle

Edit: Angles to object B are also off by ~ 5 degrees
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:52:01 PM by RandomREalist »

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »

Are you having a laugh? Or did you not read my post:

"In the first photo, shot from further back, I've marked five features A to F. You can verify these at the NASA link above.

As Armstrong moves in to take the second shot, he walks straight forward. "
"Indoctrination [...] is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned".

?

Starman

« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »

Are you having a laugh? Or did you not read my post:

"In the first photo, shot from further back, I've marked five features A to F. You can verify these at the NASA link above.

As Armstrong moves in to take the second shot, he walks straight forward. "
You don't know which direction is straight forward. It looks like when he did it made the A & D line up. I still don't see the problem.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
To me, it looks like Photo 2 is taken from someone in the area where the astronaut is in Photo 1.

Math work:

In picture 2, The angle from a straight line, running through the base of the lander leg's bottom corner, to "object a" is ~ 27 degrees.  From about the same spot (as well as I can draw and measure angles within gimp), the angle in picture 1 is only ~21 degrees. That leads me to believe that not only did the photographer move in, but also moved closer to the lander, which may explain the apparent change in angle

That is ruled out as B, E and F are all aligned vertically on both shots.

?

Starman

« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »
If he walked closer the items on the ground close to him will move to the left more and in the background. If he walked even close D would be right beside him on the left moving the angle even more. you have to view things from the top. to understand.

?

Starman

« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »

Math work:

B E and F are all shifted to the left that shows the also moved a bit to the right.

« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Math work:

Aligned vertically to what? Each other? That's a bit of a stretch to claim, if only because b and F are significantly larger than e. B and F are also not vertically aligned to each other. B and E are also not aligned. In the further away shot, object e is grazing the inside edge of object be, in the closer view, it is closer to appearing to be in the center of the crater of B

?

Starman

« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2014, 01:01:51 PM »
Think horizontally not vertically.

« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »

I'm assuming he means they're on the same vertical line, but they're not.

?

Starman

« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2014, 01:31:36 PM »

True. He has to imagine what happens when he walked closer. Things closer seem to move to the left and the right a lot more that in the background. He moved closer to the pad making B & D line up. In fact in the closer picture the landing pad is almost in the middle of the picture showing he walked a bit to the right. By doing that it made D appear to move to the left. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pictures. He can't think in 3D and can't understand angles..

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #343 on: May 02, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

True. He has to imagine what happens when he walked closer. Things closer seem to move to the left and the right a lot more that in the background. He moved closer to the pad making B & D line up. In fact in the closer picture the landing pad is almost in the middle of the picture showing he walked a bit to the right. By doing that it made D appear to move to the left. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the pictures. He can't think in 3D and can't understand angles..

Erm, no it isn't. The file size difference between the two images (from NASA site) meant I had to resize the second, close up shot. I was clear about checking the source photos, wasn't I?

Edit: sorry, wrong photo.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:45:30 PM by legion »

?

Starman

« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »
Show the second picture in it's full size.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2014, 01:48:19 PM »
Show the second picture in it's full size.

Yes, boss:

?

Starman

« Reply #346 on: May 02, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
Nice picture. So explain your issue again. Remember the second picture the astronaut moved a bit to the right.

« Reply #347 on: May 02, 2014, 01:58:19 PM »
Your resizing didn't significantly affect the positioning of the objects. Would you like me to show you copies with the lines drawn in to show you how i'm looking at it?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Nice picture. So explain your issue again. Remember the second picture the astronaut moved a bit to the right.

Starman, I've read sceptimatic calling you all sorts of names and I'd prefer not to do that. But, I have to ask: are you thick?

I posted two images from NASA's website, from the same mission, on the same day, showing the same scene, one from a slight distance from the lander, one from just behind the lander (in relation to the subject of the photo, both times). I asked a simple question with annotated pictures to make my question clear. You have made various incomprehensible comments about  "thinking horizontally" and accusing me of not thinking in 3D (when looking at  2D photos).

So, I must ask: what are you talking about? Did my question not make sense?

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2014, 02:07:59 PM »
Your resizing didn't significantly affect the positioning of the objects. Would you like me to show you copies with the lines drawn in to show you how i'm looking at it?

Yes, please. If I've made a mistake, then fine. Anything but starman, and his... I don't know what it is that he is on about!

« Reply #350 on: May 02, 2014, 02:10:59 PM »

Yes, please. If I've made a mistake, then fine. Anything but starman, and his... I don't know what it is that he is on about!

No problem, because i actually just closed the files, I'll start with less information, if you want more, i'll add it in. I'm also going to use the "full size" photos, so there's no confusion there, so they'll be hosted on my photobucket site. Gimme a few

?

Starman

« Reply #351 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
Here is the far picture. Can you see what would happen if the picture was taken closer and to the right a bit.

?

Starman

« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
Here is what happens when you get closer and to the right a bit.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #353 on: May 02, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
Here is the far picture. Can you see what would happen if the picture was taken closer and to the right a bit.

starman. You have added green lines that relate to nothing. But, your point is???

?

Starman

« Reply #354 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:11 PM »
The point is there is absolutely no issue with both picture as claimed.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #355 on: May 02, 2014, 02:24:47 PM »

The real point is that F would be out of the frame in your imaginary shot position. And C would probably be in the shot.

legion

• You are in my VR
« Reply #356 on: May 02, 2014, 02:27:33 PM »
Starman. Did you just make those silly green lines up? The first are parallel and the second are at, what, 45º angle? How did you determine those angles???

?

BJ1234

« Reply #357 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:59 PM »
As you can see, he used points A and D to make one line, then B and E to make the other.  Also as can be seen, point F does not line up with B and E as you have said.

?

Starman

« Reply #358 on: May 02, 2014, 02:29:48 PM »

The real point is that F would be out of the frame in your imaginary shot position. And C would probably be in the shot.
You don't get it. The second picture is closer so C will be to the far left and you will not see it. F is always on the right of the green line. You will see F on both pictures.

« Reply #359 on: May 02, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »
ok, here's the close yp:

And here's the far out view:

The blue lines in each photograph represent where E would be if you moved it straight out, to B. Both sets of blue lines are at a 20 px line weight.