Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications

• 505 Replies
Re: Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications
« Reply #450 on: May 12, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
If you said you had magical powers, the burden of proof would be on you. If you claim that Parallax was an educated man, the burden of proof is likewise on you to prove such. If I am considering going to a doctor that a friend of mine recommends, and I call his office, I am going to want him to prove to me that he is a doctor by showing me his credentials. I am not going to try to prove he is NOT a doctor. I am likewise forced to agree with Google and Geoff (and for Geoff and me to agree on anything is pretty remarkable [te saluto, Geoff!]), that if the FEers here cannot demonstrably prove that Parallax held a PhD and an MD, then the argument is over. The only way to prove that is to prove that he attended an institution of higher learning in or out of the Kingdom to get his MD, and graduated from same with a degree, and attended an institution of higher learning out of the Kingdom to get his PhD and graduated from same with a degree. Since that has not yet been done, nothing more need be said.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #451 on: May 12, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
On another thread there has been reading of ENAG. This has certainly not advanced any positive evidence of the credibility but rather it has had a negative effect.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:42:40 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #452 on: May 12, 2014, 03:47:22 PM »
Nobody said that Dr. Robotham was Jesus Christ.  Yes, you could probably find things about him that take his credibility into question.  Just like we could do with Abe Lincoln.  You people just seem to be fixated on besmirching his name.  Shame on you. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #453 on: May 12, 2014, 03:50:47 PM »
Why bother locking the thread? It's not breaking any rules. Unless Googleotomy spams it every day asking for an update...
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #454 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Space Cowgirl has a good point.

Rowbotham comes to us from his own time recognized as a doctor.  For those who refuse to accept the credentials earned by him and accepted from others in a previous age, they must research why those credentials should not stand and present findings contrary to historical precedence.

It is ludicrous to consider locking a thread that is in process.  Let if rest if need be until more evidence comes forward.     

ausGeoff

« Reply #455 on: May 12, 2014, 04:15:06 PM »
Nobody said that Dr. Rowbotham was Jesus Christ.
More obfuscation from you jroa?  What you said is that Rowbotham was an MD and a PhD.  And the round earthers simply asked for your evidence to prove that claim.  But you've yet to provide that evidence.  And until you do, he's nothing more than Mr Rowbotham.

Yes, you could probably find things about him that take his credibility into question.
So apparently you do agree that some of his credibility could be doubted? 

Just like we could do with Abe Lincoln.
Except we're not talking about Abraham Lincoln here; we're talking about Samuel Rowbotham.  Pointless digression.

You people just seem to be fixated on besmirching his name.  Shame on you.
Ahhh... the good old derogatory "you people" again.  Is this the favourite putdown of the flat earthers?  It seems to pop up with every second response from flat earthers on this forum.

Round earthers (well not all of us anyway LOL) are not "fixated" on allegedly "besmirching" Rowbotham's name.  What we are fixated upon is getting some sort of empirical evidence that the person on whom almost your entire flat earth theory rests actually had the scientific credentials to carry out the experiments that purportedly proves your belief that the earth is flat.  And also that he wasn't falsely using the honorifics "Dr", "MD" and "PhD".

« Reply #456 on: May 12, 2014, 07:56:03 PM »
Geoff is, of course, quite correct. As an historian, I have a personal & professional interest in making sure that people are given their due, for better or worse. Lincoln is an example. Its amazing how most Americans don't realise that his personal preference was that all American freed Blacks be sent to colonise Africa. He certainly did NOT want them here! Further, the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 applied only to States in rebellion. Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, & parts of Kentucky & Missouri kept their slaves until 1865. He also had stated the following: 'If, to save the Union, I had to free half the slaves, I'd do it. Or I'd free all of them, or none.' That's a paraphrase of his actual words, but you see my point, which is that Lincoln was hardly the great hero he has been made out to be. Your Rowbotham is just 1 of many charlatans & quacks. Don't feel so bad. If they can ascend to the highest halls of power (Lincoln, Rasputin, Hitler,et al), they can fool people w/ pseudo-science. There is
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:12:57 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

« Reply #457 on: May 12, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »
yet time for our FE friends to realise they've been had. We've all been had in some respect or other. So, just count yourself lucky that it was something relatively harmless, rather than money, or love, or war.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #458 on: May 12, 2014, 08:17:21 PM »
Space Cowgirl has a good point.

Rowbotham comes to us from his own time recognized as a doctor.  For those who refuse to accept the credentials earned by him and accepted from others in a previous age, they must research why those credentials should not stand and present findings contrary to historical precedence.

It is ludicrous to consider locking a thread that is in process.  Let if rest if need be until more  SOME evidence comes forward.     

I should think that the results of research from Edinburgh was sufficient evidence in regard to the claims of MD and PhD for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:19:45 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
Geoff is, of course, quite correct. As an historian, I have a personal & professional interest in making sure that people are given their due, for better or worse. Lincoln is an example. Its amazing how most Americans don't realise that his personal preference was that all American freed Blacks be sent to colonise Africa. He certainly did NOT want them here! Further, the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 applied only to States in rebellion. Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, & parts of Kentucky & Missouri kept their slaves until 1865. He also had stated the following: 'If, to save the Union, I had to free half the slaves, I'd do it. Or I'd free all of them, or none.' That's a paraphrase of his actual words, but you see my point, which is that Lincoln was hardly the great hero he has been made out to be. Your Rowbotham is just 1 of many charlatans & quacks. Don't feel so bad. If they can ascend to the highest halls of power (Lincoln, Rasputin, Hitler,et al), they can fool people w/ pseudo-science. There is

I am also sort of a historian ,  but more of an amateur historian at that, and more on the local level at best.

All of our heroes have had some dark spots in their life .: John Neely Bryan was prone to desert his wife and roam from time to time. Even Franklin Delano Roosevelt had some flaws.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:37:38 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2014, 08:57:42 PM »
John Neely Bryan: 1810-1877. Born in TN, for those who don't know (I didn't), his claim to fame was that he founded the city of Dallas, TX. He also is given credit, less certainly, of laying out plans for a city in Arkansas w/ a friend. Even if that credit is not accurate, he still seems to have been a remarkable person. Not being from Dallas, or Texas @ all, I had never heard of him. I had to find him in Wikipedia. As to deserting his wife or cheating, the article didn't say. We know FDR did, though.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 09:00:30 PM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

boydster

• Assistant to the Regional Manager
  • Planar Moderator
« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2019, 09:24:10 AM »
Why. Why did you necro this thread?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2019, 09:58:01 AM »
John Neely Bryan: 1810-1877. Born in TN, for those who don't know (I didn't), his claim to fame was that he founded the city of Dallas, TX. He also is given credit, less certainly, of laying out plans for a city in Arkansas w/ a friend. Even if that credit is not accurate, he still seems to have been a remarkable person. Not being from Dallas, or Texas @ all, I had never heard of him. I had to find him in Wikipedia. As to deserting his wife or cheating, the article didn't say. We know FDR did, though.
This is admittedly a rather old topic, but I just wanted to update it to explain my exchange of correspondence with Edinburgh University was not to discredit Rowbotham, but to find some evidence to credit him and post it for the benefit of the FES since it appeared it had been challenged but no FE had done any research to affirm it .......
So, being a somewhat amateur historian , I thought I would .
And mainly just out of curiosity .

Just  another off topic comment :
John Neely Bryan and the name of the city of Dallas, Texas.
Bryan once remarked "I named the town for my friend Dallas."
But which friend ?
Dallas County is said to have been named for Vice -  President George Mifflin  Dallas .
But there is even some controversy about that .

Chorus:

« Reply #463 on: May 10, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »
As this is quite a long thread and most people would not want to plough through it all.

To summarise, there was a claim, historical, that Samuel Birley Rowbotham 1816-1884 studied medicine at Edinburgh University. I can equivocally state  that at no time did he study medicine at The University of Edinburgh. This can be confirmed doing a simple name search here where all medical Alumni from MDCCV (1705) to MDCCCLXVI (1866) are listed. He is not.

https://archive.org/details/b21466373/page/n5

I think this should put that particular bogus flat earth claim to rest.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #464 on: May 10, 2019, 05:51:00 AM »
Who are you, and why should people care about your uneducated opinions?  Is this your blog or something? 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #465 on: May 10, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »
I should think FE's shouldn't be so angry, antagonistic and paranoid.
I was just interested in Mr. Rowbotham's educational background and thought the FES might be interested in my findings for their records .
I think if I had found that Mr. Rowbotham had indeed graduated from the Edinburgh University School of Medicine with an MD, was the class valedictorian and graduated magna cum laude their tone would have been much different ?
There is also the issue of the claim of PhD. This was not awarded in the UK during Mr. Rowbotham's time.
He would have to have gone outside of the UK for his PhD.
But there are no records that he ever left the country

I think we should thank the University of Edinburgh for their patience and diligence in their search for information .
I think the remark may be true that the FES has been had for basing their beliefs on a man of such questionable character.

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »
I have been trying to convert Googleotomy for ever.  He thinks it is fun to be on the winning side.

Well.....The awful truth is that the earth is a globe .
I have been to sea and observed the curvature of the earth for just one example.......out of many.
FE's seem to be "at sea" ....LOL

I think FE's should wake up , face the truth and be happy about it.
But sadly for the FE's it doesn't look very much like that is ever going to happen.
Such a pity for them !   :-(

Don't worry, FE's.
I won't try to convert YOU !
Hopeless task.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:22:39 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
I have been trying to convert Googleotomy for ever.  He thinks it is fun to be on the winning side.

I have been to sea and observed the curvature of the earth for just one example.......out of many.

When was that one time that I proved that I have been asea way more than you?  I don't think it was that long ago. 

What was your MOS?  Was it not cook or flag bearer or something like that? 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #468 on: May 10, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »

When was that one time that I proved that I have been asea way more than you?  I don't think it was that long ago. 

What was your MOS?  Was it not cook or flag bearer or something like that?
I was an ET2 in the USN. My specialty was RADAR - Surface Search and Air Search with IFF
Senior Petty Officer in charge of the O-E Division during the last 6 months of my 4 year enlistment
6 months on a CVE ; 2 1/2 years on a AV sea duty.
Rest of time shore duty at Boot Camp ( 11 weeks ) ET School (36 weeks) and Leave periods in between.
I will concede that perhaps there are those on these forums who have had a lot more time of sea duty than I did in my short period of enlistment . But I do know that I saw many observations that the earth was a globe and none of a flat disc.

What was yours ?
If you were a BM or QM I will concede that you were more of " a true sailor " than I ever was.
I was just part of the radio and radar repairmen's  squad. LOL
I rather doubt we could pass any '' true sailor'' tests like tieing knots and sailing the ship on a true course.
They weren't in our ''Job Description '' .

I would be interested in seeing what rate (rank) and rating (job specialty) of FE's who are or have been in the navy.
Any and all navies of any and all countries in the world.
Seaman Recruit to Chief Petty Officer.
Ensign to Fleet Admiral.
AB to YN.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:47:23 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #469 on: May 10, 2019, 10:27:51 AM »
YOU WERE IN THE NAVY?!

« Reply #470 on: May 10, 2019, 03:05:30 PM »
Who are you, and why should people care about your uneducated opinions?  Is this your blog or something?

I presented a historical document that is available if you care to travel to Glasgow. Most people are unable to do that. I provided a link to an online version that provides the facts of the matter. It's obvious that you don't like the facts, but why vent your spleen at me?

« Reply #471 on: May 10, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
I should think FE's shouldn't be so angry, antagonistic and paranoid.
I was just interested in Mr. Rowbotham's educational background and thought the FES might be interested in my findings for their records .
I think if I had found that Mr. Rowbotham had indeed graduated from the Edinburgh University School of Medicine with an MD, was the class valedictorian and graduated magna cum laude their tone would have been much different ?
There is also the issue of the claim of PhD. This was not awarded in the UK during Mr. Rowbotham's time.
He would have to have gone outside of the UK for his PhD.
But there are no records that he ever left the country

I think we should thank the University of Edinburgh for their patience and diligence in their search for information .
I think the remark may be true that the FES has been had for basing their beliefs on a man of such questionable character.

The information actually came from the Glasgow Univerity archive.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #472 on: May 10, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »
YOU WERE IN THE NAVY?!

???????
Didn't you read my reply #468 ?
I just try to post true facts.
None of this is ''made up ''.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:42:57 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #473 on: May 10, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »
YOU WERE IN THE NAVY?!

???????
That's what I was replying to. I had no idea!

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #474 on: May 10, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
YOU WERE IN THE NAVY?!

???????
That's what I was replying to. I had no idea!

Now you know ! :-)
A lot of we RE's have been farther from our homes than from just looking out the windows of our homes. LOL
I keep repeating this and I keep hoping to get a FE reply , which I haven't seen so far.:
On a flat Earth, explain what the horizon is ?
What it looks like ?
Where it is ?
And how would you estimate the distance from you to the horizon ?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:49:15 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #475 on: May 11, 2019, 07:22:01 PM »
Still no reply on.
(1) Horizon on a flat Earth ( " Round. Earth " information has been posted several times.)

(2) Naval experience   (  ' MOS"  ) of FE's (I have posted mine several times.)
Son of Orospu in particular . jroa, why have you changed your name ?

I realize all this FE information has been posted previously , but please post it one more time for those who may not have seen it before.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:42:13 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2019, 06:05:57 AM »
Those things have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. You super-necro'd a thread about a particular topic, then spammed it with your standard horizon post and "I was in the Navy!" Why you do this to me, Dimi?

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2019, 10:59:02 AM »
Those things have nothing to do with the topic of the thread. You super-necro'd a thread about a particular topic, then spammed it with your standard horizon post and "I was in the Navy!" Why you do this to me, Dimi?
I think we have fairly well exhausted the search for " Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications ".
None have been found.
Claims of MD and PhD are obviously fraudulent.

If some evidence could have been found it would at least given a bit of credibility to the FES.

I think both sides are guilty as far as the horizon and Navy off topic remarks are concerned .
If I ever get any FE answers I would cease and desist .
A FE asked for information on my navy background and I supplied it.
But my request for the FE's Navy background has gone unanswered .
So I am going to take a break for a while.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:07:07 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »

It was worth it to read a widely discredited alt history take on Lincoln presented as fact though.

:)

boydster

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #479 on: May 12, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »
I think we have fairly well exhausted the search for " Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications ".

THEN DON'T REOPEN A DEAD THREAD ABOUT IT! How is this difficult for you to grasp?

I think both sides are guilty as far as the horizon and Navy off topic remarks are concerned .

I think that is demonstrably not true. You opened a dead thread about a topic you clearly had no interest in discussing, then pivoted to talk about the Navy and the horizon. No one else.

If I ever get any FE answers I would cease and desist .
A FE asked for information on my navy background and I supplied it.
But my request for the FE's Navy background has gone unanswered .
So I am going to take a break for a while.

Go make a thread for FE's in the Navy then and stop spamming it everywhere else.