Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications

• 505 Replies

ausGeoff

Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
I was asked on another thread (by moderator Ski) to create a separate thread for the purpose of discussing the purported academic qualifications of Samuel Rowbotham:

He studied at the University of Edinburgh Medical School. I will happily discuss the history in a thread devoted to that purpose, but this is the absolute last time you impugn his name in an unrelated thread.

So... to recap.  I've claimed numerous times on this forum that there are no extant records that would indicate that Rowbotham possessed accredited academic qualifications of any type, in either the sciences or the humanities, from any university in the UK, or from anywhere else for that matter.

(You can have a look at the university's medical school history HERE).

On checking a listing of 170 names of the university's most notable alumni (beginning with Robert Whytt MA, MD in 1734) I could not locate the name Samuel Birley Rowbotham.  Nor could I find any reference by checking Google and Wikipedia for "rowbotham+samuel+medical+school+edinburgh".

I'll await Ski's response to this (or any other flat earther who has evidence of Rowbotham's purported academic qualifications).  I should also note that I consider a simplistic answer such as "He studied at....." insufficient as evidence of any such studies without citations to verifiable sources.

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: Samuel Birley Rowbotham - Academic Qualifications
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
I started a similar thread.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=61376.msg1600797#msg1600797

The only information I found by googleing on "Samuel Birley Rowbotham" was this wikipedia.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Rowbotham
It has no mentions of academic achievements, but it seemed rather to be contradicting any claims.

Most of the other wikipedia articles contain information on a person's academic qualifications, such as this one regarding Arthur Conan Doyle. Notice that there is mention of Edinburgh Medical School, but notice also there is no mention of this in the Rowbotham wikipedia cited above.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle

As ausGeoff mentioned there is no mention of Rowbotham in the Edinburgh Medical School. Most universities list names of notable alumni, but there are none which list Rowbotham.

I most likely have not done as much resarch as ausGeoff  , but the most complimentary thing I have read about the so-called "Doctor" Rowbotham was that he was a quack, but a skilled debater and orator. LOL.

The question asked was not so much about whether or not Rowbotham was a doctor but rather asking for
evidence  of whether or not Rowbotham attended a university and had any evidence of it. It does seem strange that the Flat Earth Society would not have any evidence with the sources for that evidence. They would surely know what years that Rowbotham attended and would have had his diplomas or other evidence in their artifacts. But at present there does not seem to be any and searches for any of these have resulted in not finding any. Unless something definite is found, there will always be doubt and this will reflect badly on the society, since the society seems to rely on one person for their beliefs - Samuel Birley Rowbotham.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:04:52 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »

So... to recap.  I've claimed numerous times on this forum that there are no extant records that would indicate that Rowbotham possessed accredited academic qualifications of any type, in either the sciences or the humanities, from any university in the UK, or from anywhere else for that matter.

There are many contemporary records (most recorded by globularists) which you willfully ignore. I've given you the leads in the other thread. You're free to chase them or not. I guarantee you that I have spent more time chasing this down over the years than you have. If you can find a contemporary source that accuses him of fraudulently posing as a doctor of medicine, please provide it. I am unaware of a single instance, yet have provided many of references to him as a doctor -- most by detractors.

Additionally, if you can find something conclusive from Edinburgh itself, please let me know, as the answers to many queries seem to depend on who exactly answering them at a given time (for example contradictory answers on the possibility of examining the hard records which exist but are not digitally cataloged). Your help/time is appreciated.

"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

QuQu

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
Samuel Birley Rowbotham was a brainless moron but a very talented con artist.

ausGeoff

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 12:38:10 AM »
There are many contemporary records (most recorded by globularists) which you willfully ignore.
Can you please cite any specific examples of "contemporary records" that you allege I've "willfully" ignored.  As I've said, I thoroughly researched the current Edinburgh Medical School site records to no avail.  I honestly can't find any records—contemporary or otherwise—connecting Rowbotham with Edinburgh.

I've given you the leads in the other thread. You're free to chase them or not.
Again, could you please supply me with a link to that particular thread, as I'm unable to locate it.

Additionally, if you can find something conclusive from Edinburgh itself, please let me know, as the answers to many queries seem to depend on who exactly answering them at a given time (for example contradictory answers on the possibility of examining the hard records which exist but are not digitally cataloged). Your help/time is appreciated.
I'll do a bit more research about Edinburgh and let you know (here) if I have any success either confirming or refuting Rowbotham's academic record at that institution.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 01:03:33 AM »
I've given you the leads in the other thread. You're free to chase them or not.
Again, could you please supply me with a link to that particular thread, as I'm unable to locate it.
Googleotomy supplied it in the first reply to your post.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:14 AM »
I was asked on another thread (by moderator Ski) to create a separate thread for the purpose of discussing the purported academic qualifications of Samuel Rowbotham

• Doctor
  • Christian
  • Professor
  • Surgeon
  • Poet
  • Explorer
  • Scientist
  • Writer
  • Illuminator
  • Leader
  • Botanist
  • Philanthropist

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
In reply to a request for information on Samuel Birley Rowbotham, this reply was received from The University of Edinburgh:

"mvm@ed.ac.uk

We have looked into this and can confirm that Samuel was not one of our students."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:43:14 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Samuel Birley Rowbotham was a brainless moron but a very talented con artist.

I won't make a comment as to how brainless or how much of a moron Rowbotham was , but here is how one reporter of his time put it.:

" A correspondent to the Leeds Times observed that "One thing he did demonstrate was that scientific dabblers unused to platform advocacy are unable to cope with a man, a charlatan if you will (but clever and thoroughly up in his theory), thoroughly alive to the weakness of his opponents".[5]
(from the wikipedia previously cited)

Also for definition of a charlatan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlatan
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 02:57:05 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 04:29:25 PM »
In reply to a request for information on Samuel Birley Rowbotham, this reply was received from The University of Edinburgh:

"mvm@ed.ac.uk

We have looked into this and can confirm that Samuel was not one of our students."

Curious. How did they arrive at that conclusion? If "looking into it" included only searching the 205 names they have scanned electronically it means nothing. If they actually took the time to search the hard copies, it could mean something.
I'm curious because most of the time the response has been, "the records from this time are largely not digitalized, and we're too busy to care enough to assign anyone to search through the books with all the listings when you don't even know what year he graduated."  Worded very nicely, to be sure, but the message was clear and perhaps even understandable. Whether or not a member of the public could get access to the books to search has been a mixed bag of responses.
Thank you for sending the email! Perhaps we can finally clear this all up. :)

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 08:08:23 PM »
Here is a thought.:

I don't know if The University of Edinburg published "Annuals." (Books published each year  which  contain pictures of activities and indivual pictures of faculty, students, etc. as they do in the United States.)

If the years that Rowbotham attended the University of Edinburgh were known it would be a simple matter just to look through the annuals to see if Rowbotham's name and picture appeared. I would venture a guess this need only cover a period which for most persons of Rowbotham's age (1816-1884). I would venture a guess that this would be about 1834 to 1840 for a search. If these Annuals were published, there should be copies in the University Library. They should be available to the general public even if they couldn't be checked out. Even if Rowbotham's picture did not appear, most Annuals have a list of those with a note "photograph not available." Surely there were printing presses in Scotland in the 19th Century ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annual_publication

If there any Scots in the Flat Earth Society, this should be an easy research project for them. The search could be extended for information as to the where and when of Rowbotham's PhD.

P.S. That is if any FE should venture outside their window . If not maybe some  RE could look into the matter for them. But the burden of proof should lie with the FE's. So the ball is in your court.

A second thought.:
Unless there had been some catastrophic fire or maybe destruction in an air raid in WWII, old class rosters, even those written in  pen and ink, should be in the University's possession. I am sure the University would have no objections to a serious enough researcher who convinced them he had proper credentials from The Flat Earth Society and convinced them of the reason for his search.

Even if these searches should prove fruitless, surely The University of Edinburgh should surely have some kind of information on such an illustrious personage as Samuel Birley Rowbotham.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Edinburgh_people

If the University has an Alumni Association it should be another source for information. This might be an even better place for information as these organizations are often of a more personal nature.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:03:41 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »

"mvm@ed.ac.uk

Curious. How did they arrive at that conclusion? If "looking into it" included only searching the 205 names they have scanned electronically it means nothing. If they actually took the time to search the hard copies, it could mean something.
I'm curious because most of the time the response has been, "the records from this time are largely not digitalized, and we're too busy to care enough to assign anyone to search through the books with all the listings when you don't even know what year he graduated."  Worded very nicely, to be sure, but the message was clear and perhaps even understandable. Whether or not a member of the public could get access to the books to search has been a mixed bag of responses.
Thank you for sending the email! Perhaps we can finally clear this all up. :)

LOL! Even universities from my country, which aren't really that prestigious, still have the names of absolvents from 150 years ago listed, and you're telling me a very prestigious university like Edinburgh wouldn't have them? xD

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »

LOL! Even universities from my country, which aren't really that prestigious, still have the names of absolvents from 150 years ago listed, and you're telling me a very prestigious university like Edinburgh wouldn't have them? xD

I believe if you read my post you will see that is not what i said at all. I said only a fraction of the older student listings have been entered into a searchable database.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:10 AM »

I believe if you read my post you will see that is not what i said at all. I said only a fraction of the older student listings have been entered into a searchable database.

Even if the listings had been digitized or otherwise converted by electronic means, the original lists would have been recorded by hand and kept for historical reasons for the university. These are kept here in the United States for a request for a transcript for a record of studies in the past - however long ago they might have been. It would seem that such a prestigious university such as Edinburgh would have a Registrar's Office which would have these records.

For another example Texas A&M University has the Association of Former Students which has records of every student who ever attended the university - whether or not they graduated or earned a degree - dating back to the founding in 1876. It would seem that there would be a similar organization at a more prestigious university such as Edinburgh. Most universities have Alumni Associations. Rowbotham's name should surely be in their lists.

If Rowbotham attended Edinburgh, since he is mentioned as a skilled debater and orator, he might have belonged to some club or organization or fraternity. Most universities have debate clubs, speech clubs and fraternities for students in various areas of studies. It would seem that such a prestigious uniiversity as Edinburgh would have some of these and that would be another source for information. Rowbotham would likely have been a member of one of those organizations.

Also if Rowbotham practiced medicine he would likely have been a member of some doctor's organization in that city. Another source of information.

There are many avenues to prove or disprove Rowbotham's qualifications, both academically and professionally.

Finally it seems curious  that the Flat Earth Society does not have a detailed account of these as do most organizations. I merely cited the American Radio League and its founder, Hiram Percy Maxim, as an example.
"The Old Man" even wrote a book, too.....But "ENAG" it is not !
http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Family-Hiram-Percy-Maxim/dp/184902619X
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:09:55 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

ausGeoff

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »

It's still up to the flat earthers to prove that Samuel Rowbotham firstly attended Edinburgh Medical School, and secondly that he attained any formal academic qualifications at that institute.

It should be noted that common logic says it's not the task of the opponents of a claim (in this case Rowbotham's credentials) to disprove the claim, but rather the task for the proponents of the claim to provide irrefutable evidence for their claim.

If I told you I could fly, I couldn't realistically expect you to disprove my claim;  it'd be up to me to prove it by jumping off the roof.  One cannot prove a negative, simply because there is no evidence available for something that never happened.  As in Rowbotham's case.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »

It's still up to the flat earthers to prove that Samuel Rowbotham firstly attended Edinburgh Medical School, and secondly that he attained any formal academic qualifications at that institute.

It should be noted that common logic says it's not the task of the opponents of a claim (in this case Rowbotham's credentials) to disprove the claim, but rather the task for the proponents of the claim to provide irrefutable evidence for their claim.

If I told you I could fly, I couldn't realistically expect you to disprove my claim;  it'd be up to me to prove it by jumping off the roof.  One cannot prove a negative, simply because there is no evidence available for something that never happened.  As in Rowbotham's case.

There is also there is no evidence available  for something that isn't or never happened . As in the Flat Earth's case itself.

Those other sources I listed in my previous posts were there for the benefit of the Flat Earthers '"for the proponents of the claim to provide irrefutable evidence for their claim."

To prove or disprove these claims would definitely affect the opinions on the credibility or lack of credibility of Rowbotham.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 12:36:31 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
If I told you I could fly, I couldn't realistically expect you to disprove my claim;  it'd be up to me to prove it by jumping off the roof. 
This is not at all analogous to that. You're better than that, I would guess, but perhaps not.

If you told me your great, great, great grandfather was a doctor, I would be free to believe it or not. If you provided several contemporary obituaries calling him a doctor (most written by detractors, and one that says he had a thriving, legitimate practice) and a good number of documents calling him a doctor the issue, to me, would no longer be in doubt. Surely the contemporary testimony outweighs your inability to provide a transcript for your ancestor. If I was still skeptical, I would look very hard to find any contemporary account that brought his title into dispute. In absence of absolutely any evidence he was not a doctor,  I must then conclude he was, by any standard of the day, a doctor.

However, rest assured that several members have and will continue to search for further evidence -- particularly at Edinburgh of Dr. Rowbotham's past accomplishments. We welcome your participation, even if your goal is at odds. "IN VERITATE VICTORIA," as Dr. Rowbotham says.

In the end your reluctance to admit his title seems particularly puerile, seeing as noone at all has asked you to accept the evidence of the flat earth because of his being a doctor. We are only asking that you cease attempting to deprive the man of his rightful appellation. Your only intent here is to disparage the man without any evidence at all he was not in fact a doctor. We can truly say then that ALL evidence points to his being one.

You are free to remain unconvinced. You may even say so. Perhaps the evidence is not conclusive to you. This is quite fair, and certainly your right. It has been, however, established to the satisfaction of the administration of this forum. If you continue to claim here he was not a doctor without evidence, you will face censure. Noone is asking you to prove a negative. We are simply asking you to provide any evidence at all that he was not a doctor, before you derail threads by stating conclusively and derisively that he was not.

You are, of course, free to believe he was not a doctor. You may write books on the subject of his education/profession, start a blog or website devoted to it, tell all your friends at cocktail parties. You simply may not derail threads and slander him here. This is not the first time you've been so asked.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 05:26:18 PM »
Even if the listings had been digitized or otherwise converted by electronic means, the original lists would have been recorded by hand and kept for historical reasons for the university.
Quite right. And if you reread my posts, what I have said is that the original lists have not been made available for perusal (though I was once told, and only once, that perhaps under intense supervision one might be allowed access), and that the staff to this point has been uninterested in searching them for us.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 05:34:57 PM »
If I told you I could fly, I couldn't realistically expect you to disprove my claim;  it'd be up to me to prove it by jumping off the roof. 
This is not at all analogous to that. You're better than that, I would guess, but perhaps not.

If you told me your great, great, great grandfather was a doctor, I would be free to believe it or not. If you provided several contemporary obituaries calling him a doctor (most written by detractors, and one that says he had a thriving, legitimate practice) and a good number of documents calling him a doctor the issue, to me, would no longer be in doubt. Surely the contemporary testimony outweighs your inability to provide a transcript for your ancestor. If I was still skeptical, I would look very hard to find any contemporary account that brought his title into dispute. In absence of absolutely any evidence he was not a doctor,  I must then conclude he was, by any standard of the day, a doctor.

However, rest assured that several members have and will continue to search for further evidence -- particularly at Edinburgh of Dr. Rowbotham's past accomplishments. We welcome your participation, even if your goal is at odds. "IN VERITATE VICTORIA," as Dr. Rowbotham says.

In the end your reluctance to admit his title seems particularly puerile, seeing as noone at all has asked you to accept the evidence of the flat earth because of his being a doctor. We are only asking that you cease attempting to deprive the man of his rightful appellation. Your only intent here is to disparage the man without any evidence at all he was not in fact a doctor. We can truly say then that ALL evidence points to his being one.

You are free to remain unconvinced. You may even say so. Perhaps the evidence is not conclusive to you. This is quite fair, and certainly your right. It has been, however, established to the satisfaction of the administration of this forum. If you continue to claim here he was not a doctor without evidence, you will face censure. Noone is asking you to prove a negative. We are simply asking you to provide any evidence at all that he was not a doctor, before you derail threads by stating conclusively and derisively that he was not.

You are, of course, free to believe he was not a doctor. You may write books on the subject of his education/profession, start a blog or website devoted to it, tell all your friends at cocktail parties. You simply may not derail threads and slander him here. This is not the first time you've been so asked.

I have made several inquiries by e-mail to The University of Edinburgh and as yet have not found any evidence  of any kind that Rowbothan even ever atttended the University. If anyone has any better luck in their search, I am sure we would all be glad to see it. It is not slander, just a search for facts.

Chorus:

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »
He is mentioned as having studied there in a "The Christian Socialist: A Journal for Those who Work and Think. Volumes 5-9".

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:01 PM »
He is mentioned as having studied there in a "The Christian Socialist: A Journal for Those who Work and Think. Volumes 5-9".

Are there any living descendants of Rowbotham ? They would surely have some of his diplomas in their collection.
Also most doctors served their internship at some hospital. If this was known it would shed some light.

Chorus:

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 07:38:05 PM »
I had an email once for a direct descendant from Garwood, but never received a response. I do not know whether that was due to disinterest or whether it was a derelict email account.
I'm not entirely sure of whether or not the internship programs as we know them existed at the time. Also worth digging up when I have time. Good idea, regardless.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »

How would that improve your life? 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 09:56:23 PM »

How would that improve your life?

I don't think it would improve my life in any way. It is just a matter of curiosity for me. I used the example of Mr. Maxim since I was a member of the ARRL and  I was curious about its founder. I am a fairly often visitor to this forum and I was curious about  The Flat Earth Society and its founder. By being a bit curious I have looked up many  subjects on the Internet and safisfied my curiosity on many subjects. Although it might not seem so to FE's by some of my posts, that is one of the things I appreciate and enjoy on this website.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 10:00:11 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
You would be happier if you converted to the flat side. 

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
You would be happier if you converted to the flat side.
I concur.
Consider it.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
I have been trying to convert Googleotomy for ever.  He thinks it is fun to be on the winning side. 

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »
I have been trying to convert Googleotomy for ever.  He thinks it is fun to be on the winning side.
Little does he know...

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
He is what we call a permanood. 

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »

I have never even tried to convert a flat earther. It is hopeless. Especially jroa and sceptimatic. ???

And I rather doubt whether or not it would make a flat earther any happier if they converted to reality. ::)

But if it makes you any happier, I shall leave you alone  to your own little fantasy world. Cheers ! ;D

Seriously, I have made several inquiries to The University of Edinburgh regarding Samuel Birley Rowbotham but so far nothing has turned up. I have some others with replies that they are still searching but nothing so far.

I shall retire for a while to the Route 66 Forum Website. They use flat maps. You might want to visit there for a change.
I shall be generous and benevolent and offer a suggestion to any and all flat earthers. Take a drive for yourself from Needles, California to Barstow, California across either Interstate Highway 40 or old Route 66 through Amboy, California across the Mojave Desert to confirm your belief in a flat earth. But when you get to the Pacific Coast and look out to sea and try to restore any sunken ships with your telescope , you might be disillusioned.

dis·il·lu·sioned
/ˌdisəˈlo͞oZHənd/ 
adjective
disappointed in someone or something that one discovers to be less good than one had believed.
synonyms:   disenchanted, disabused, disappointed, let down, discouraged

Excuse the off-topic. It happens a lot on this website.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:52:05 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus: