Looking ahead. Collection of dates for significant events

• 41 Replies
Looking ahead. Collection of dates for significant events
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
It would be nice to get a list of significant events together.  A big one we've all been watching is Sir Richard Branson and the supposed Civilians-to-Space venture.
  • Now to 6 months: Anything?
  • 6 months to a year: The upcoming deadline of Richard Branson flying his family up to space is December 2014.
  • 1 to 3 years: Launch of DSCOVR - "early fiscal year 2015" This satellite will sit in L1. The point in between the sun and the Earth where gravity is nullified.  It will be constantly viewing the sunlit half of the Earth.  Should be interesting for future debates and beautiful real-time pictures and footage.
  • 3 to 5 years: Launch of James Webb Space Telescope, October 2018. This is the successor to the Hubble Telescope. It will sit in L2, on the other side of Earth... the cold dark side. Always in the shadow of Earth.  I'm not sure how it relates to a Flat Earth but it should be cool.
  • 5 to 10 years: from mars one website: "Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023" If the Earth is flat I think that we could agree that Mars would be really small.  We'll see if they're surprised when they land on Mars that it's really small.

Any other dates of significant events?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:55:25 PM by FlatOrange »
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Looking ahead. Collection of dates for significant events
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Not trying to derail, but since you posted this in FEG instead of the science section, I can only assume you want to discuss the information in your post.  Why did they make it to the moon back in the 60s with only a few years of preparation, but it supposedly will be almost 60 years later just to get to Mars?  I know Mars is farther away than the moon, but really, 60 years? Look how much technology has advanced since the moon landings. 

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
Not trying to derail, but since you posted this in FEG instead of the science section, I can only assume you want to discuss the information in your post.  Why did they make it to the moon back in the 60s with only a few years of preparation, but it supposedly will be almost 60 years later just to get to Mars?  I know Mars is farther away than the moon, but really, 60 years? Look how much technology has advanced since the moon landings.

We were a focused nation. Our imagination about space was on fire. We dreamed of the future and fought with nations by trying to outdo them with science.  Today we fight over oil and it destroys our economy and our trust in our government.

And it's not our nation planning the trip to Mars.  So it's pointless to compare the two.  The USA has devalued space travel.  NASA is squeezed of its funding and must get by on so little so all they can afford is to keep a few people on the space station and launch some robots and satellites.  It'll be a long time till the nation values science and space exploration again.  Private businesses are picking up the slack.

P.S. Yes this is in FEG because I want to talk about significant dates that will heat up debates about the shape of our planet.  Richard Branson is a big one, DSCOVR not many people know about. Mars One, obviously a long ways a way, but a big one no doubt. And JWST is not that relevant but I can't think of many more.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:23:20 PM by FlatOrange »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
That's another thing I am confused about.  The government gives NASA $20 billion just to have a few people on the space station.  Does this sound fishy to anyone else? 

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
That's another thing I am confused about.  The government gives NASA $20 billion just to have a few people on the space station.  Does this sound fishy to anyone else?
Not really. It probably costs a whole lot of money to keep that space station running and all those people alive.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
It would be nice to get a list of significant events together.  A big one we've all been watching is Sir Richard Branson and the supposed Civilians-to-Space venture.

• 6 months to a year: The upcoming deadline of Richard Branson flying his family up to space is December 2014.
Wake me up when this actually happens...

Virgin Galactic hopes to operate space flights by the end of 2008. Fares for the flights will start at $200,000.
They've been holding on to a lot of suckers' money for a long time. If I had a nickle for every time he was "months" away, I could start my own rocket tourism company for people with more money than brains.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:59 AM »
I am sure you can be smarted than that.

?

Starman

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »
It is not called international space station for nothing. The money is from many countries. Besides it is money circulated not wasted.

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:28 AM »
Not really.  Here's the full budget program for 2013, as you can see they get up to quite a bit:

2013 budget

For $17B it seems like one of the better value spending programs in the US.

On the other hand the US military spent an obscene $716B (42 times the NASA budget) in 2013, and only managed to blow up 5 goat herders and 2 wedding parties.

Does this sound fishy to anyone else?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

th3rm0m3t3r0

• At least 3 words, please.
  • It's SCIENCE!
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:34:41 AM »
Not really.  Here's the full budget program for 2013, as you can see they get up to quite a bit:

2013 budget

For $17B it seems like one of the better value spending programs in the US.

On the other hand the US military spent an obscene $716B (42 times the NASA budget) in 2013, and only managed to blow up 5 goat herders and 2 wedding parties.

Does this sound fishy to anyone else?
No, that also makes sense.
We need money to keep on being the biggest kid on the playground.
Also, proxy wars and drug wars.

I don't profess to be correct.
Quote from: sceptimatic
I am correct.

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »
Why did they make it to the moon back in the 60s with only a few years of preparation, but it supposedly will be almost 60 years later just to get to Mars?  I know Mars is farther away than the moon, but really, 60 years? Look how much technology has advanced since the moon landings.

Technology doesn't solve the biggest problems in going to Mars. If you understood the implications of the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation you would understand why this trip is so much harder.

The Apollo missions were brief, limiting the time the astronauts would be in danger of potentially deadly solar radiation events. The missions were also timed for periods where solar activity forecast to be low. A trip to Mars will expose the astronauts to much more solar radiation and will almost certainly be unable to avoid a dangerous solar event.

This will necessarily mean more shielding, whish will mean more weight- see the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

Also, since the Apollo missions were brief, the amount of supplies need was small. A trip to Mars will require far more - see the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

?

Starman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 12:41:07 PM »
Why did they make it to the moon back in the 60s with only a few years of preparation, but it supposedly will be almost 60 years later just to get to Mars?  I know Mars is farther away than the moon, but really, 60 years? Look how much technology has advanced since the moon landings.

Technology doesn't solve the biggest problems in going to Mars. If you understood the implications of the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation you would understand why this trip is so much harder.

The Apollo missions were brief, limiting the time the astronauts would be in danger of potentially deadly solar radiation events. The missions were also timed for periods where solar activity forecast to be low. A trip to Mars will expose the astronauts to much more solar radiation and will almost certainly be unable to avoid a dangerous solar event.

This will necessarily mean more shielding, whish will mean more weight- see the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.

Also, since the Apollo missions were brief, the amount of supplies need was small. A trip to Mars will require far more - see the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation.
yes and nobody said it will be easy. It will take time to developed the technology. I still think it is beyond reach.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
If going to the moon is so easy, then why have we not done it in  more than 40 years?  Why did we all of a sudden just stop? 

?

Starman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 12:49:21 PM »
If going to the moon is so easy, then why have we not done it in  more than 40 years?  Why did we all of a sudden just stop?
Going to the moon was not easy. Going back will do what?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »
To prove that we can go there?  Never mind, it has been more than 40 years. 

?

Starman

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »
They don't have to spend 100 billion dollars to prove anything. They put the money in the ISS and now they will try for mars in the the future. Anything wrong with that?

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 01:09:37 PM »

Short answer is there is no need to go back... at least not enough need to generate the political will to fund a trip back.

George Bush tried to get the ball rolling to get us back to the moon, using as a stepping stone for a manned mission to Mars.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/01/14/bush.space/index.html?_s=PM:TECH

The Obama administration cancelled the plans, instead shifting NASA focus on more frequent unmanned missions and Muslim outreach programs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:12:01 PM by Whiskey »

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »

To prove to whom? There will always be a bunch of people who don't believe in space travel so why waste the money? When other countries of the world believe you went there you really think the naysayers matter?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 04:13:21 PM »
Yes, why waste money traveling through space when there are people who do not believe that it is possible?  ::)

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
Yes, why waste money traveling through space when there are people who do not believe that it is possible?  ::)

So, you're saying that if a new,  manned mission were to happen, you would feel like you were "wrong" you wouldn't just claim that it's all a hoax, and faked?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
No, I restated what FlatOrange said.  Pay attention. 

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 02:53:32 AM »
If going to the moon is so easy
There you go with your stawman again.

Why did we all of a sudden just stop?
Why would in continue? 

Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:41 PM »
No, I restated what FlatOrange said.  Pay attention.

Exactly. It's a waste. So if you're going to go to space you might as well have other things planned other than just wasting the money to prove to people that's it's possible.

Mars One has no doubt whether or not space travel is possible. Their mission is to inhabit Mars. If the goal was just to prove the naysayers wrong it would be a never-ending goal because there will always be disbelievers.  (Of course, I expect FErs to conclude the reason there will always be disbelievers is the fault of the space-goers and not the fault of the disbelievers.)

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 02:05:58 PM »
They can't even get the space tourism industry going other than a few unmanned launches.  You are supposed to be able to vacation in space by now.  We are supposed to believe that it is just around the corner, just like the Mars colonization.  It will always be Next Year. 

?

Starman

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 02:09:30 PM »
They can't even get the space tourism industry going other than a few unmanned launches.  You are supposed to be able to vacation in space by now.  We are supposed to believe that it is just around the corner, just like the Mars colonization.  It will always be Next Year.
Who is they?

?

tappet

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 02:27:52 PM »
Who is they?
They, would be the people that make the claims about space tourism.
But in your twisted mind you would like jroa to name a conspiracy mob like say, KAOS!

?

Starman

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »
Who is they?
But in your twisted mind you would like jroa to name a conspiracy mob like say, KAOS!
Is they... NASA, government, Politicians... Who exactly?

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 07:41:58 PM »
We are supposed to believe that it is just around the corner, just like the Mars colonization.  It will always be Next Year.

No it's in 9 years

?

tappet

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 08:43:46 PM »
Who is they?
Seriously, if you wanted to see an example of  "they" in space tourism its as simple as looking at this:
http://www.virgingalactic.com/our-team/

?

Starman

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »
Who is they?
Seriously, if you wanted to see an example of  "they" in space tourism its as simple as looking at this:
http://www.virgingalactic.com/our-team/
Of course there are people with visions but by saying "they" it implies other agencies are trying to scam people. Not so.