Paralax angles, and why it doesn't prove a helio- or geo-centric system

• 3 Replies
I found this bit over in your "sources" place: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=58658.0#.U0H9zlck1p0 The problem with this author, is they are failing to realize that the difference in angle is going to be so minute, because when compared to the distance between the earth and the sun (whether in the geo-centric model of 3000 km as believed by the FE of this particular forum, or in the helio-centric model, being 1 Astronomical Unit, or ~ 1/63,281 of a light year), compared to the nearest star, at 4.21 light years away. So mathematically speaking, the author is correct, practically speaking though, it doesn't prove it either way in this case, because the difference would be, excuse the pun, astronomically small.

So mathematically speaking, the author is correct...

Um... so... you just derailed your whole point there.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

So mathematically speaking, the author is correct...

Um... so... you just derailed your whole point there.

Um no, I'd recommend you read everything, and MAYBE the associated paper.

But I'll clarify: The author was correct in his measurements,  (i.e. the math), but the conclusion he drew was "incorrect", because using this method can't prove the phenomenon either way.

?

EvilJeffy

• I shouldn't waste time here, I have science to do.
The difference is that if the sun was 3000 miles away the parallax angle for Alpha Centuri would translate to a distance of 805 million miles instead of 25 trillion miles away.  This would also make its orbit intersect with Saturn.
Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am kicking puppies, but I have good boots.  Just in case your curious I also have more science training than you do.