Do your own Experiment to Prove a Flat Earth

• 57 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Do your own Experiment to Prove a Flat Earth
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »

You may or may not have advance math but to dump it here seems to prove you want to show off your math skills more that proving the earth is flat or round.

Of course he's showing off.  LOL.

He starts off by saying "Approximate the equation of the curve. I would use a power series. (Notice: This only holds true for the specific interval of convergence on that specific power series.) My simple power series looks like this [...]"

He's over-complicating all this purely for effect, and should rightfully accept that we're not all mathematically inclined.  It's the standard "bullshit baffles brains" concept.

At its simplest, there is no "approximate" equation for the "curve".  It's not just any old curve; it's an arc.

And the standard form of the equation for a circle in an x-y cartesian coordinate system, for any circle with centre coordinates (a, b) and radius 'R' is the set of all x,y, points thus: (x - a)2 + (y - b)2 = R2

And in closing of course he falls for the old flat earther mistake of saying "This is the ratio of the flat earth's motion upward" when in fact he hasn't proved in any way that the earth is experiencing an "upward" motion.  In space, astrophysically, there is NO up or down.

So despite all his alleged knowledge of calculus (which in this scenario is immaterial anyway) his final conclusion is in effect, and embarrassingly for him, nothing more than a non sequitur.

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 02:32:18 AM »
I have a better idea than wasting your time with all of this math.

Climb a hill. Watch the sunset. Proof the Earth is a sphere.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 02:37:10 AM »

How does that prove the Earth is a sphere?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »

Think about it.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 02:49:35 AM »

Climb a hill. Watch the sunset. Report back your findings.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 03:06:04 AM »

All I'll see is the sun blend into the horizon from my vantage point, bottom first. That's due to the light not reaching your eyes, just like the sinking ship effect.

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:08 AM »
Take basketball. Put under light bulb. Make X mark with black pen on top of basketball directly under light bulb. If X mark is Fred, Fred can see light bulb. Rotate basketball away from Light Bulb towards you keeping steady axis. X Mark goes opposite side of light bulb now at bottom of Basketball. Fred no longer can see light bulb.

Climb a hill on clear day. Go watch sunset. Become Fred.

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:33 AM »

All I'll see is the sun blend into the horizon from my vantage point, bottom first. That's due to the light not reaching your eyes, just like the sinking ship effect.
And someone 100 miles to the east will see the same a bit later, and so on around the world.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2014, 04:07:31 AM »

And someone 100 miles to the east will see the same a bit later, and so on around the world.
So what's strange about that?

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2014, 04:11:05 AM »
So you think this guy in this video Starman showed you is trying to brainwash people and makes a fake video? It is obviously a homemade experiment. He makes a timelapse video of 40 minutes of a pendulum swinging to fool you? You can't see how ridiculous this sounds? He never expected someone would think since he didn't show 40 minutes of a pendulum swinging that it was a fake.

You did some math equations. This video a guy did a real world experiment that if you cared, can do the same exact experiment and prove to yourself the Earth rotates.

See FET you only have beliefs and theories. You do not have any real world proof. You want to show the world the Earth is flat, then you need to have real world evidence. Oh, and looking at the sidewalk being flat is not evidence.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:12:58 AM by Jer9999 »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2014, 04:15:22 AM »
So you think this guy in this video Starman showed you is trying to brainwash people and makes a fake video? It is obviously a homemade experiment. He makes a timelapse video of 40 minutes of a pendulum swinging to fool you? You can't see how ridiculous this sounds? He never expected someone would think since he didn't show 40 minutes of a pendulum swinging that it was a fake.

You did some math equations. This video a guy did a real world experiment that if you cared, can do the same exact experiment and prove to yourself the Earth rotates.

See FET you only have beliefs and theories. You do not have any real world proof. You want to show the world the Earth is flat, then you need to have real world evidence. Oh, and looking at the sidewalk being flat is not evidence.
He's not fooling anyone. He's showing an experiment that shows a PENDULUM swinging and turning.
Do you have any of a room turning with the pendulum just swinging?

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 04:26:15 AM »

He's not fooling anyone. He's showing an experiment that shows a PENDULUM swinging and turning.
Do you have any of a room turning with the pendulum just swinging?
you are predictable. You NEVER accept a video as real. Even i would find one you would STILL tell us it is fake.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 04:27:58 AM »
you are predictable. You NEVER accept a video as real. Even i would find one you would STILL tell us it is fake.

Why do you act so surprised every time if sceptimatic is so predictable?   

?

Starman

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2014, 04:36:32 AM »

Why do you act so surprised every time if sceptimatic is so predictable?
Not at all. In fact all FE'ers are predictable. scepti has a more closed mind then the others.

?

Science

• The voice of reason in the world.
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2014, 06:34:21 AM »

You may or may not have advance math but to dump it here seems to prove you want to show off your math skills more that proving the earth is flat or round.

He starts off by saying "Approximate the equation of the curve. I would use a power series. (Notice: This only holds true for the specific interval of convergence on that specific power series.) My simple power series looks like this [...]"

He's over-complicating all this purely for effect, and should rightfully accept that we're not all mathematically inclined.  It's the standard "bullshit baffles brains" concept.

At its simplest, there is no "approximate" equation for the "curve".  It's not just any old curve; it's an arc.

And the standard form of the equation for a circle in an x-y cartesian coordinate system, for any circle with centre coordinates (a, b) and radius 'R' is the set of all x,y, points thus: (x - a)2 + (y - b)2 = R2

And in closing of course he falls for the old flat earther mistake of saying "This is the ratio of the flat earth's motion upward" when in fact he hasn't proved in any way that the earth is experiencing an "upward" motion.  In space, astrophysically, there is NO up or down.

So despite all his alleged knowledge of calculus (which in this scenario is immaterial anyway) his final conclusion is in effect, and embarrassingly for him, nothing more than a non sequitur.

I takes math to solve the problem I was working with.
Yes...

The "curve" I was working with refers to the relationship between its placement on the "arc" and it's instance velocity.
It complicated so that I can solve the problem at hand:
Is this being acted on an earth moving upward?
or
Is this being acted upon by an earth with gravity?
This just requires quite a bit more Math than a circle :l. I wanted to prove this for myself.
All curves can be approximated by a power series....
I am glad you remember circles from Algebra 2 :D. Relevance?
You used circular reasoning here. (A logical fallacy) You assumed the earth was flat in order prove my "non sequitur", but it is only the case if you were correct in your assumption. Otherwise we define up as the direction the top of the earth is facing....
This last one was just a conclusion so I'll make my own.
We had Dumber (spectimatic), whe have now Dumber (science).
I, for one, do not think that science is dumb.

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2014, 06:48:25 AM »
You guys are so delusional to think the entire Satellite and GPS mega industries and the hundreds of thousands of employees are all based on a complete hoax. Totally nuts!

?

Science

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:25 AM »
You do realise that in this equation...

...re / re + h would be almost equal to 1 anyway, right? On the scales you're talking about, particularly with a very long pendulum, h is going to be about 4x10-6% of re, ie, negligible as far as your calculations are concerned, and far too easily drowned out by other factors like air resistance and friction in the system.

You need a better experiment.

You do realise that in this equation...

...re / re + h would be almost equal to 1 anyway, right?
Yes which is why I found more precise data from a study done by MIT graduate students. I already told starman about this in the thread.

On the scales you're talking about, particularly with a very long pendulum, h is going to be about 4x10-6% of re, ie, negligible as far as your calculations are concerned, and far too easily drowned out by other factors like air resistance and friction in the system.
Again, MIT was very careful to have excellent test conditions. I used their data and ran the numbers.

You need a better experiment.
I found one but I didn't have the money to complete it accurately myself.

Generally before replying negatively to a thread, read through other responses and see if your issue has already been resolved.

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
Me Science. In my 5 ft wide room, if no here, then it no real. All universe I can understand within my 5 feet room. No show me proof. Proof is devil's work. 

?

Science

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:49 AM »
You guys are so delusional to think the entire Satellite and GPS mega industries and the hundreds of thousands of employees are all based on a complete hoax. Totally nuts!

Look into the logical fallacy of poisoning the well. Argue the points we make, not our intelligence.

For your reference (A quote from Wikipedia):
If Adam tells Bob, "Chris is a fascist so don't listen to him", then Adam has committed the fallacy of poisoning the well.

Also GPS the can tell the distance from the north pole as well as the direction from the north pole (compass) you can place a point anywhere in the world. Satellites are improbable to exist at all and are simply "owned" by large corporations and governments. By no means a mega industry.

But that is very much off topic and we should move that discussion to other threads.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »

Look into the logical fallacy of poisoning the well. Argue the points we make, not our intelligence.

For your reference (A quote from Wikipedia):
If Adam tells Bob, "Chris is a fascist so don't listen to him", then Adam has committed the fallacy of poisoning the well.

Also GPS the can tell the distance from the north pole as well as the direction from the north pole (compass) you can place a point anywhere in the world. Satellites are improbable to exist at all and are simply "owned" by large corporations and governments. By no means a mega industry.

But that is very much off topic and we should move that discussion to other threads.

I'm decent at math but I'm not too familiar with what you've posted so I can't say that I'm very convinced by it. I know that isn't much of an argument but your response here to Jer9999 seems to be what RE'rs are constantly trying to tell FE'rs. Are you not convinced that the Earth is round by the many proofs available elsewhere? Mathematically, experimentally and otherwise?

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2014, 07:11:47 AM »
Satellites are improbable to exist at all and are simply "owned" by large corporations and governments. By no means a mega industry.
Home satellite dishes such as DirecTV, weather satellites, ISS, and the many other satellites all the research, technology and man power put into their operations are not a mega industry?

What world do you actually live in?

Give it up! Your theories are wrong! You are wasting your time with this Flat Earth nonsense. It is not real!

?

Starman

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
Yes.
Ok. First of all you math does not have any meaning because it was not verified. It reminded of a story where university students want to do the math to prove a bumble bee could fly. Fit the math with the bee. They took endless measurements of the bee and air. In the end they proved the bee was not suppose to fly. Nobody told the bee.
So in the end doing field test trumps your math. You have proven nothing to me or others. The fact you make the claim it is proof is your first mistake. Scientist never do that. You have to prove your math with facts. If I send you the field test would you look at it and try it yourself?

I posted in the debate forum because I wanted people like you to attempt to verify it. But if you don't have the time to run the numbers I'd be happy to look at your data.  Just post it below so everyone can try crunch through the calculations. (I will as well)
I think you wanted to prove that your pendulum will go back and forth with UA. It is may be right or very inaccurate but you make the statement it proves the earth is flat. That is where you go wrong. The pendulum will rock on the FE and RE. The difference is in the RE it will rotate. That is the poof the earth is round.

?

Science

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »
I'm decent at math but I'm not too familiar with what you've posted so I can't say that I'm very convinced by it. I know that isn't much of an argument but your response here to Jer9999 seems to be what RE'rs are constantly trying to tell FE'rs. Are you not convinced that the Earth is round by the many proofs available elsewhere? Mathematically, experimentally and otherwise?
I assume by "your response here to Jer9999 seems to be what RE'rs are constantly trying to tell FE'rs" you mean that you argue we commit logical fallacies as well. I have been very careful to follow the rules of logic, induction, deduction, and validity in my proof. If you have an argument to that effect feel free to make it.

And I guess not because every proof I've found there is a clear way to falsify it. But I'm sure I haven't seen them all. Post a thread about one and I'll look into it.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 07:56:12 AM »
I assume by "your response here to Jer9999 seems to be what RE'rs are constantly trying to tell FE'rs" you mean that you argue we commit logical fallacies as well. I have been very careful to follow the rules of logic, induction, deduction, and validity in my proof. If you have an argument to that effect feel free to make it.

And I guess not because every proof I've found there is a clear way to falsify it. But I'm sure I haven't seen them all. Post a thread about one and I'll look into it.

Sure, here is a list of topics that I have made since becoming a member of this site.

Here is a list of topics by long lost RE'r Alex Tomasovich. His arguments were well constructed and he put a lot into them. He made FE'rs cry.

Here is a list of topics by Scintific Method. Another impressive RE'r.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »
Generally before replying negatively to a thread, read through other responses and see if your issue has already been resolved.

I did. It wasn't.

There simply isn't a statistically significant difference between the results you would get for a flat earth with UA, and the results you would get for a round earth with gravity. Unfortunately, this particular experiment proves nothing.

There are plenty of other experiments you can do to test the shape of the earth though, and at least a few that take only minimal resources, and no special measuring equipment.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

I did. It wasn't.

There simply isn't a statistically significant difference between the results you would get for a flat earth with UA, and the results you would get for a round earth with gravity. Unfortunately, this particular experiment proves nothing.

There are plenty of other experiments you can do to test the shape of the earth though, and at least a few that take only minimal resources, and no special measuring equipment.
And the FE people are reluctant to do any experiments.

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2014, 06:57:17 PM »
That's not true. They have all done very detailed experiments such as:

"Look out your window. The Earth looks flat doesn't it?"

ausGeoff

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »
So what's strange about that?

Again, the simple fact that sceptimatic has to ask a question to which the wider thrust of the answer is so obvious to anybody with at least a high-school education illustrates just how limited his understanding of any scientific concepts would seem to be.

And the posting of this simplistic response from somebody who's allegedly carried out a highly complex and accurate scientific scientific research project which has—apparently—proven unequivocally the the earth is flat makes one wonder if that person is living in some sort of self-styled, alternative world of their own making doesn't it?

I'd like to raise the question again for sceptimatic to answer:  why is it that he's not reported any further advances on any peer reviews of his laser/ice sheet experiment, or even any preliminary publication of its findings?  And why—if the results are confidential—is it that no specially selected forum member has yet confirmed receiving an email outlining the results of this experiment, as was promised?

Can you please address these questions of mine sceptimatic?  Or, alternatively, admit that the entire story was bogus?

And remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.