Almost had to get a new computer.

• 6 Replies
Almost had to get a new computer.
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:21:00 AM »
Close one.  Started having random pink squares show up with browser open or when screensaver kicked in, and startup took forever with with "previous improper shutdown, run startup repair / start normally" selection over and over, or it would get to the desktop and do the blue-screen and then restart.

Same results with safe mode or even putting my old harddrive in and trying to run it instead.

Pulled the 2gig ram out I added shortly after buying it.  Problem went away for about 30 minutes, but came back.  Pulled the original ram out and put the other one back in.  Been working fine now for a couple days.

Yeah, got a bit worried there I was going to have to spend $300-500 on a new laptop, or whatever it would cost for a used windows 7 machine.  (an upgrade from Vista would be nice, but I'm sure how well I'd like 8 until I really try it)  Spent $350 on this thing only 5 years ago, so it better last a little longer yet damnit  >:( .

Only other computer I have hooked up to internet at the moment is an old tower with XP pro (no SP) and IE6.  I'll have to take a look at my other old tower though, not sure what SP or browser version it has.

Re: Almost had to get a new computer.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
thank you for the update on the status of your computer problems.
you can't spell planet without plane. or net... 8)

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »
You're welcome.  Check back after another 3 months to see if I have any further updates for this developing story.  The wad of cash in the coffee can buried in my backyard is safe for now.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:21:30 AM »
The wad of cash in the coffee can buried in my backyard is safe for now.
Yes, it is.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 08:20:54 PM »
I just messaged Willmore and you just may possibly get a grant from the T-shirt money to purchase a new computer...maybe.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
I just messaged Willmore and you just may possibly get a grant from the T-shirt money to purchase a new computer...maybe.

I need a new computer too
you can't spell planet without plane. or net... 8)

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 07:12:08 AM »

I need a new computer too
You will need to start your own thread.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth