Video Proof of Curvature of Earth on the Horizon

• 22 Replies
Video Proof of Curvature of Earth on the Horizon
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:57:34 AM »
If you watch this video filmed by some guy on the beach with an island in the distance. You can see at :52 some type of white building is on the right side of island. You can also observe how it looks like the ocean goes down way deep in the horizon. A horizon is very clear. Then if you look at 2:35 when he lowers the camera, you can see the building is no longer visible, and it is because it went down with the curvature of the Earth. In this video the curvature of the Earth is clearly visible and this is not some optical illusion where your eyes simply can't see far. You can even see mountains behind the curvature of the Earth, behind the horizon, to prove that your eyes can see farther.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">A video showing the curvature of the earth

Re: Video Proof of Curvature of Earth on the Horizon
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

Check out this sick picture of Chicago from 50 miles away over Lake Michigan. Weird how you can only see the tops of the tallest buildings and not their bases. I wonder what causes that?

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:24:53 AM »
I would be interested to read the FE take on the video from the OP?  The island is clearly visible behind the building - in fact, you can even see more distant landmass, but the building is visible at the top of the monument and not from the shoreline.

Goddamnit, Clown

• How else would light work?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:34:13 AM »
The observations can't be interpreted as showing a flat earth.

The earth is, in fact, flat.

The video is clearly fake and the author part of the global conspiracy.

QED?
Big Pendulum have their tentacles everywhere.

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:56:03 AM »
The observations can't be interpreted as showing a flat earth.

The earth is, in fact, flat.

The video is clearly fake and the author part of the global conspiracy.

QED?
The interesting part is that you can go there and see it for yourself. Before you claim it is just go there.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
That was just a sarcastic bump for the thread, I'm interested to hear an FE opinion. Personally, I've seen ships sail over the horizon, I've seen tall buildings on the far side of lakes, I've watched the sun set over a high plain in Africa on an incredibly clear day. I don't need convincing that there is such thing as a horizon and that things can drop below it.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
That was just a sarcastic bump for the thread, I'm interested to hear an FE opinion. Personally, I've seen ships sail over the horizon, I've seen tall buildings on the far side of lakes, I've watched the sun set over a high plain in Africa on an incredibly clear day. I don't need convincing that there is such thing as a horizon and that things can drop below it.
There is no "FE opinion", because the earth is round.
i don't need a signature. go away.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »
It sure is, but that hasn't stopped a hundred or so people having very strong opinions about it, even in 2014. It's these curious opinions that I'm interested in.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »
It sure is, but that hasn't stopped a hundred or so people having very strong opinions about it, even in 2014. It's these curious opinions that I'm interested in.
I don't think they're interested in giving these opinions because they are stumped.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
I've been here a month or so and I've never seen that happen, exactly.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 11:11:51 AM »
This is due to the Ferrari Effect. The Earth appears curved due to our naive view of the shape of space. The earth is a flat unbounded finite body in curved space.
The illusion is shattered if we ask what goes on behind the scenes.

Goddamnit, Clown

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
Unbounded but finite? Like a sphere, or a toroid? Except it's also flat, like a finite tabletop that goes on forever? May as well leave the ferrari effect discussion in the other thread, but I'd love to know what a flat, unbounded, finite body is.

V

• icosatetrachoron
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
Unbounded but finite? Like a sphere, or a toroid? Except it's also flat, like a finite tabletop that goes on forever? May as well leave the ferrari effect discussion in the other thread, but I'd love to know what a flat, unbounded, finite body is.
A flat unbounded finite body is a Pac-Man game. When you go through the teleporter on the left side you reappear on the right.

?

Starman

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
This is due to the Ferrari Effect. The Earth appears curved due to our naive view of the shape of space. The earth is a flat unbounded finite body in curved space.
So the flat earth forever. Why would there be a ice wall then at 16,000 miles in diameter. If it goes on forever what is it made of?

?

11cookeaw1

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 10:59:45 PM »
A flat unbounded finite body is a Pac-Man game. When you go through the teleporter on the left side you reappear on the right.
This raises so many questions. :o

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 09:04:38 AM »

The Ferrari effect is backed by what tests and when were these tests verified by the scientific community through peer-review?

I'd love to see the scientific findings that a philosophy teacher has found, that no other scientist could.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:07 AM »
This video interested me because of the oft seen argument here of looking around us - the earth looks flat, etc, etc. 

It is an ideal location to demonstrate it - the island (Ailsa Craig) is ten miles off the mainland, and it is quite clear that the building is visible from just a little higher than the shoreline (I don't know how high exactly, but it doesn't take him long to descend) and it is not visible from the shore.  On that premise of looking at what we can see around us, surely that can only demonstrate that the earth is curved?

I was curious to see a FE'ers view - I haven't quite got to grips with this Ferrari effect, so will read into it closer, although ten miles seems rather a tiny distance for such an effect as this.  I am surprised that that has been the only FE explanation.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
So the flat earth forever. Why would there be a ice wall then at 16,000 miles in diameter. If it goes on forever what is it made of?

Once again, you are confusing yourself over the differences between the terms "Ice Wall" and "Edge".  This makes you look a little more foolish every time you do this. 

Also, most people would assume that an "Ice Wall" would be made of "Ice", but not our Starman.  He is special in many ways. 

?

Starman

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »

Once again, you are confusing yourself over the differences between the terms "Ice Wall" and "Edge".  This makes you look a little more foolish every time you do this. 

Also, most people would assume that an "Ice Wall" would be made of "Ice", but not our Starman.  He is special in many ways.
The statement is: "flat unbounded finite body in curved space." It is your turn to explain it?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »
You do know what finite means, right?  It means that it does not go on forever.  It is the opposite of infinite (sort of, anyway).

?

Starman

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 05:37:39 PM »
You do know what finite means, right?  It means that it does not go on forever.  It is the opposite of infinite (sort of, anyway).
I know that but the statement is pretty vague.  "in curved space" means what to the statement.

?

Goth

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »
the rainbow is curved is it not,,,

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 09:39:47 PM »
Goth, welcome to this site.  Please keep in mind that we try to discourage low content posts in the upper fora.  We have a forum called Complete Nonsense where you can post just about anything you want.  I hope you will take a look at that forum and post things like you last post there.  Have a great day. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:36:46 AM by jroa »