Absolute Proof the Earth Rotates

• 612 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Absolute Proof the Earth Rotates
« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2014, 07:54:27 PM »
I stand corrected about the year.  However, if they could do it in 1962, why did they need to place reflectors on the moon?

Greatly increased albedo.  Large increase in reflected photons = increased measuring accuracy.

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »
Here was a question from mythbusters:
The Apollo astronauts left behind special equipment on the Moon like reflectors that scientists can bounce lasers off of.

confirmed

The Mythbusters went to an observatory equipped with a high powered laser. They first fired at the bare lunar surface but did not detect the laser bouncing back. Then they pointed the laser at a reflector left behind by NASA and received a confirmed bounce.

« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
What does any of this have to do with pendulums? I can honestly say, I've never seen a mod so active in derailing thread after thread with non-sequitors. It appears to be your M.O., jroa.

I believe before the derailment about electromagnets, psychology and laser/radio/radar moon bounces, RE's were attempting to explain that pendulums can be made without electromagents and that they all show, depending on their latitude, mathematically predictable rotations, which should rule out any errors in the setup.

Do you FE's have any coherent response to this? How is it pendulums can be shown to have mathematically predictable rotations at different latitudes? For the sake of clarity, let us just take the examples shown by pendulums that do not use any electromagnets.

The pendulum swings in a straight plane, and we know there is no force available to make the pendulum rotate (no magnets, remember!), then it must be the earth that spins underneath it.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »
The Apollo astronauts left behind special equipment on the Moon like reflectors that scientists can bounce lasers off of.

confirmed

The Mythbusters went to an observatory equipped with a high powered laser. They first fired at the bare lunar surface but did not detect the laser bouncing back. Then they pointed the laser at a reflector left behind by NASA and received a confirmed bounce.

The mythbusters did go to a place that did that experiment.  They received a few photons back.  When they did this in the 60s with no reflectors, they also got a few photons back.  So, does this seem suspicious to anyone else? 

?

Starman

« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »

confirmed

The mythbusters did go to a place that did that experiment.  They received a few photons back.  When they did this in the 60s with no reflectors, they also got a few photons back.  So, does this seem suspicious to anyone else?
you don't know how strong the signal was. In either case it is there and it is 240,000 miles away.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
We are not talking about the strength or the distance.  We are talking about doing with and without reflectors. 

?

Starman

« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
We are not talking about the strength or the distance.  We are talking about doing with and without reflectors.
A weak signal or strong signal does matter. The speed of light is the same so the distance calculation will be 240,000 miles.

« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2014, 08:17:34 PM »
What does any of this have to do with pendulums? I can honestly say, I've never seen a mod so active in derailing thread after thread with non-sequitors. It appears to be your M.O., jroa.

I believe before the derailment about electromagnets, psychology and laser/radio/radar moon bounces, RE's were attempting to explain that pendulums can be made without electromagents and that they all show, depending on their latitude, mathematically predictable rotations, which should rule out any errors in the setup.

Do you FE's have any coherent response to this? How is it pendulums can be shown to have mathematically predictable rotations at different latitudes? For the sake of clarity, let us just take the examples shown by pendulums that do not use any electromagnets.

The pendulum swings in a straight plane, and we know there is no force available to make the pendulum rotate (no magnets, remember!), then it must be the earth that spins underneath it.

Yeah it's unbelievable. Only if we stayed on topic and they opened their minds, we could all actually learn and understand.

?

Starman

« Reply #248 on: March 23, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »

Yeah it's unbelievable. Only if we stayed on topic and they opened their minds, we could all actually learn and understand.
The topic has been beaten to death. They will not debate it.

ausGeoff

« Reply #249 on: March 23, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »

Firstly, it's interesting (well, not really LOL) that some flat earthers think that somehow, a magnetic force acting in the plane of the swing arc can induce any force perpendicular to that swing arc.  It shows a surprising lack of understanding of both the principles and purpose (in this scenario) of magnetism, and the principles of force and motion.

Secondly, a few flat earthers can't seem to comprehend that it's the building rotating under the pendulum, and not the pendulum "rotating" above the floor of the building.  Mental block?

And I'm just as guilty as others here, but how on earth(!) did we spend so much time talking about magnets—when in fact they have nothing to do with the principle of the Foucault pendulum?   ;D

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #250 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:48 PM »

The topic has been beaten to death. They will not debate it.

IMHO and from experience. If a post with lots of evidence is posted, Flat Earthers will beat it to death with off topic and de-railing posts because they simply have absolutely no evidence. It happens all the time on this website. It is no wonder the Flat Earth Society Forum website is considered "one big hoax or one big joke."
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2014, 10:43:59 PM »

Firstly, it's interesting (well, not really LOL) that some flat earthers think that somehow, a magnetic force acting in the plane of the swing arc can induce any force perpendicular to that swing arc.  It shows a surprising lack of understanding of both the principles and purpose (in this scenario) of magnetism, and the principles of force and motion.

Secondly, a few flat earthers can't seem to comprehend that it's the building rotating under the pendulum, and not the pendulum "rotating" above the floor of the building.  Mental block?

And I'm just as guilty as others here, but how on earth(!) did we spend so much time talking about magnets—when in fact they have nothing to do with the principle of the Foucault pendulum?   ;D

Yea it's unbelievable. I, like you no doubt, have moments where I think this forum is one giant piss-take, because surely people can't be this ignorant/thick-headed.

Absolutely right about the affect of magnets, or complete lack thereof, on the pendulums rotation. I can see perhaps the quote from me was poorly worded, as I seem to suggest that magnets could affect the pendulum in the way FE's suggest. I should have said there is no longer any possible excuse for its rotation now that magnets are out of the question.

So far, this just about sums up the FE's argument about the Foucault pendulum: It's not rotating because it goes against my (flat) world view.

FE's love circular logic- seemingly, it's the only logic they adhere to in the first place.

« Reply #252 on: March 23, 2014, 11:38:26 PM »
Why don't they try and understand how the pendulum works? No, they right away find a way to dismiss it as a con job.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »
Why would a building rotate under a swinging pendulum? Surely if the Earth was a rotating globe then a building should only rotate at the north or south pole, why should it ROTATE anywhere else? I mean, it might move around the Earth but that's not a building rotating. Any answers for this?

I also have an Equator question after you answer this one.

?

Starman

« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2014, 07:14:25 AM »
Why would a building rotate under a swinging pendulum? Surely if the Earth was a rotating globe then a building should only rotate at the north or south pole, why should it ROTATE anywhere else? I mean, it might move around the Earth but that's not a building rotating. Any answers for this?

You have not viewed the video. It explains it all.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »

You have not viewed the video. It explains it all.
No, I don't think so.
You people were asked a question before about the rotating Earth and the question was, " why don't we feel the the air blasting into our faces if the Earth is spinning at 1000 mph +." Also how come if a HELICOPTER hovers, why doesn't the Earth move under it.
Of course, these questions were answered. The reason was that the Earth and atmosphere rotate in UNISON. Basically stuck  together due to millions of years of spinning. This was the agreed answer with all you globulites.

If that's the case, your pendulum shenanigans are not worth a carrot as everything would simply follow the path, including your pendulum. So going by your take on stuff, your pendulum should simply swing back and forth over a static point on, meaning no rotation of any table and building.

If anything, Foucaults' pendulum actually proves a flat Earth. Because it is the actual pendulum moving around by the action of magnetic force  acting against it extremely marginally on each swing.

You glubulites can't have it both ways.

?

Starman

« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Scepti.. Listen to the guy explain it.
#t=328" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">#t=328
I've watched it. It's riddled with holes. He's mentioning degrees with places like America, etc and mentioning the Equator not spinning. Ask yourself something. Why is he mentioning degrees?
There are no degrees when you're stood on your ball, except 180 because you are simply upright no matter where you stand, so using degrees for the pendulum, for wherever it is on Earth is absolute clap trap and anyone should see this.

Add that to what I said earlier and your pendulum is dead in the water.

?

Starman

« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »
I've watched it. It's riddled with holes. He's mentioning degrees with places like America, etc and mentioning the Equator not spinning. Ask yourself something. Why is he mentioning degrees?
There are no degrees when you're stood on your ball, except 180 because you are simply upright no matter where you stand, so using degrees for the pendulum, for wherever it is on Earth is absolute clap trap and anyone should see this.

Look at it again. Close to the end he as a globe in his hand and shows you how it works. The pendulum is always perpendicular to the earth. At the north pole the earth will rotate under it. At the equator the earth is not rotating under the pendulum it is traveling along it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2014, 08:17:14 AM »

Look at it again. Close to the end he as a globe in his hand and shows you how it works. The pendulum is always perpendicular to the earth. At the north pole the earth will rotate under it. At the equator the earth is not rotating under the pendulum it is traveling along it.
You can have the north pole, now explain the degrees as he mentions America for instance.

?

Starman

« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:59 AM »

You can have the north pole, now explain the degrees as he mentions America for instance.
Here is a picture that may explain it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2014, 08:27:36 AM »
Starman: I want to build a sky scraper In England, America, Russia, Australia, North pole and China.
What degrees should I set my levels to, to achieve this in all countries? Just the degrees for going into the sky.

« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2014, 08:29:41 AM »
Starman: I want to build a sky scraper In England, America, Russia, Australia, North pole and China.
What degrees should I set my levels to, to achieve this in all countries? Just the degrees for going into the sky.
Just point up, as you know.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2014, 08:48:39 AM »
So what's the angles all about with the pendulum at different places on Earth then?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:55:02 AM by rottingroom »

?

Starman

« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
The degrees are coordinates on the globe. We normal call them "lat and long". You are talking about something totally different. Look up lat and long on YouTube and you may learn something. Do I have to hold your hand for everything.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2014, 09:38:02 AM »
Sorry, I'm not buying that answer.Why mention degrees for the pendulum?

« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2014, 09:41:55 AM »
So what's the angles all about with the pendulum at different places on Earth then?
Forget that, why are you asking a daft question?  You know the answer and are just being awkward.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2014, 09:45:38 AM »
Forget that, why are you asking a daft question?  You know the answer and are just being awkward.
I was told to watch the video. I watched it and the person showed a globe then mentioned all the angles off different countries where the pendulum works in certain ways, so what is he mentioning angles for?

« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »
I was told to watch the video. I watched it and the person showed a globe then mentioned all the angles off different countries where the pendulum works in certain ways, so what is he mentioning angles for?
Do you really not understand or are you just pretending to be dense?